HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Blake to replace Hextall as Assistant GM

Old
07-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
Of course he doesn't have experience. That's why it's an assistant job. Just like a n00b NHL coach being an assistant first. You have to start somewhere, right?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
I hereby elect cns to this position and not Rob. Any supporters? Say I.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Of course he doesn't have experience. That's why it's an assistant job. Just like a n00b NHL coach being an assistant first. You have to start somewhere, right?
Of course everyone has to start somewhere. Usually that somewhere is assistant to the guy that washes the jock straps in the AHL, not Vice President of the United States....

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:51 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Blake's job, as an assistant GM, is to be in charge of the Monarchs, correct?

Even if you overlook his rocky first stint here, he still prevented the Kings from rebuilding because he "wanted to retire a King"... until three months later when he signed with a division rival, because Lombardi wasn't scrounging up the money fast enough for his liking.

Who would want that full of **** underachiever in charge of the team designed to develop the Kings prospects?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:53 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Right, and he wanted to stay with the Kings. He wanted to retire a King...that is until he hit the FA market and took the highest bid. He didnt listen to Dean, went to whoever was offering the most. He wasn't willing to do what it takes to stay a King.

So Ziggy can deflect all the blame on lieweekly, and honestly...that's partially true. Lieweekly deserves a lot of blame but Blake is at considerable fault as well and hasn't made amends with the fans.

Blake was honestly my favorite player through the 90s (sans Gretzky and Luc) and he literally chucked all that away in his second stint with the Kings. We massively overpaid him, and he wanted to get massively overpaid and retire a king...sorry pal.
Correct. And all of that has nothing to do with him not waiving his NTC.

You can hate on him all you want for the reasons you spoke of above, and I agree with you very much, but when it comes to waiving a NTC, he doesn't have to nor should he be expected to, and that doesn't matter if he's a near saint like Luc Robitaille or a massive D-bag like Rob Blake.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Maybe they can bring back Dmitri Khristich, Ryan Smyth, Grant Fuhr and Rick Tocchet to positions in the front office.

Is Dale McCourt still alive?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:57 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Maybe they can bring back Dmitri Khristich, Ryan Smyth, Grant Fuhr and Rick Tocchet to positions in the front office.

Is Dale McCourt still alive?
My skin just crawled.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:01 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Blake was all about Blake. Not the Kings.

This is another self serving move, he's always wanted a FO job and getting his name in the rafters. He's going to have to make amends here. I just finished reading an OLD interview that Mayor'sManor did a few years ago when Blake was a Shark. At the end of the interview after discussing all the crap and deflecting the blame...

Quote:
Is there anything else you’d like to say to the fans of the LA Kings to wrap things up here?

Nope. I think that’s good.
http://mayorsmanor.com/2010/01/rob-blake-the-interview/

So as you can see, he wasn't apologetic.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:04 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Correct. And all of that has nothing to do with him not waiving his NTC.

You can hate on him all you want for the reasons you spoke of above, and I agree with you very much, but when it comes to waiving a NTC, he doesn't have to nor should he be expected to, and that doesn't matter if he's a near saint like Luc Robitaille or a massive D-bag like Rob Blake.
Not disagreeing about the right to use your NTC. I was just pointing out his hypocrisy about wanting to stay a King and then 3 months later he bolts for the biggest paycheck...after being massively overpaid.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:17 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I don't know about this....

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:55 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
I don't know about this....
I think most if not all of us hate this. It was bad enough seeing him as an intermission analyst for a few games a couple of years ago, and now we get to see his mug again but this time representing this team again. Leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth for sure.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Face Wash

It's the respect he has from his peers that allows the Kings to ignore fan sentiment and hire Blake and retire his number once he's in the Hall. He'll likely be boo'ed by many fans at his number retiring, but the team won't care.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:03 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Jeremy Roenick. I rest my case. I don't mind Blake. I'd take a swing at JR if I ever saw him.
Again you're right in your analysis.

This seems like as someone pointed out a "good ole boy" move. I hope he does a great job, but lets face it, Blake has some massive shoes to fill with how great of a job Hextall did in his time here. Sort of screams as an excuse for Blake to come in gain some good will with the fanbase and get his name in the raftersin a couple years... Really hope that's not the case, but that's the way it looks right now. Is it too late to get DL a copy of Thomas Wolfe's "You Can't Go Home Again"?

Last edited by tigermask48: 07-17-2013 at 08:09 AM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
mbar

This is a huge disapointment. Why the franchise wants to invite in the distraction of all the fan hatred of Blake is hard to imagine. They've been trying to sell us on Blake for years and the fans aren't buying it. This is a slap in the face.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

I let my hatred of Blake go a while back, so I don't mind the move. I like that DL is involving former players to this degree, he's creating an atmosphere like that in Philly, minus the insanity at the top. That can only bode well for the future of the organization.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I think this move shows a lot of disrespect to the Kings most loyal and knowledgeable customers. What does this move say to the honorable men that have busted their ass for Dean since he took the GM job in LA?

Blake has zero experience and has paid no dues. He has not earned this position. This is not the new culture or this organization, but rather a return to the old BS we were fed for years and years. I don't know what the f is going on, but Hextall's hunch or feeling looks pretty right on today.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:07 AM
johnjm22

This has been a tough couple of weeks. Scuderi gone, Hextall gone, Penner to the Ducks for 2 million. Now Blake possibly coming back? Ugh.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

So when are the Kings going to hire Penner as the strength and conditioning coach?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I think this move shows a lot of disrespect to the Kings most loyal and knowledgeable customers. What does this move say to the honorable men that have busted their ass for Dean since he took the GM job in LA?

Blake has zero experience and has paid no dues. He has not earned this position. This is not the new culture or this organization, but rather a return to the old BS we were fed for years and years. I don't know what the f is going on, but Hextall's hunch or feeling looks pretty right on today.
Bingo

I hope Rob gets a hernia

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Bingo

I hope Rob gets a hernia
And an enema!!!

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Rob Blake to join LA Kings front office, leave NHL Dept. of Player Safety

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...151241462.html

Oy. A lot to prove Rob.

Regurgitates the Mayor's article, but too much smoke not to assume this is a done deal.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
It's the respect he has from his peers that allows the Kings to ignore fan sentiment and hire Blake and retire his number once he's in the Hall. He'll likely be boo'ed by many fans at his number retiring, but the team won't care.

Sad truth.

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The thing that is going to piss me off the most, is that loyal Kings' fans will be the ones that are labeled as classless by all the moron sport and hockey commentators when Blake hears the boos.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Blake...nice choice

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:45 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
You know there was a time when I thought if the Kings organization decided to retire Blake's number that I simply wouldn't attend that game, or would not be in my seat during the ceremony. I am beginning to change my mind. I think I may go and boo and encourage other fans to do the same.

Maybe the public embarrassment caused by such a reaction is the only way some people in the organization will get it.