HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Forbes World's Most Valuable Franchises (Leafs only NHL team in top 50, $1b)

Old
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
FrozenJagrt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
So here's what I don't understand from a serious standpoint-all joking aside:

Detroit wins multiple cups, a team of excellence, measure post for many NHL teams, year after year playoffs, ect-

And yet they don't get the value Toronto does. Why is that? Detroit is doing every thing right year after year, yet don't see the returns.
Bigger market, more fans who are willing to pay more money for worse tickets, more historical value, better barn, more well known brand, better TV contracts.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
$65 M in 02-03. Only one year was Detroit over $68. NYR was over $64 M twice.

They were at $78 MM right before the cap was instituted.
I'm not sure what your point is though?

Edit: I think you meant the Leafs were at $65MM precap? Thanks for the clarification.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:56 PM
syc

Loyal rich fans. If detroit ever went into rebuild mode that building would be half empty.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
So here's what I don't understand from a serious standpoint-all joking aside:

Detroit wins multiple cups, a team of excellence, measure post for many NHL teams, year after year playoffs, ect-

And yet they don't get the value Toronto does. Why is that? Detroit is doing every thing right year after year, yet don't see the returns.
Consider for a moment the socioeconomic condition of Detroit and Toronto and you have your answer...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
TOGuy14

For what it is worth, I think the party / celebration of the Leafs winning the Cup would do more damage than any hockey related riot after a loss anywhere else.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
scotchex

Some summary stats from the Forbes list:

By Sport
--------
NFL: 30 Teams
MLB: 7 teams
Euro Soccer: 7 teams (3 England, 2 Spain, 1 Italy, 1 Germany)
NBA: 3 teams
F1: 2 teams
NHL: 1 team

By Country:
-------------
USA: 41 teams
UK: 3 teams
Spain: 2 teams
Italy: 2 teams
Germany: 1 team
Canada: 1 team

By Metro
---------
NYC: 5 teams
London: 3 teams (including McLaren)
Chicago: 3 teams
San Francisco: 3 teams (Includes Oakland Raiders)
LA: 2 teams
Boston: 2 teams
DC: 2 teams (I used CSA definitions, so that includes Baltimore Ravens)
Philly: 2 teams

By Language (dominant language of the team)
-------------
English: 45
Spanish: 2
Italian: 2
German: 1

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I'd love to see how valuable a majority of NFL teams would be if they weren't, well, in the NFL and paid bonkers national TV money. I mean, the Jags more valuable than the Rangers without that...yeah right.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

without the TV money, they'd all be valueless so...

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Confucius

It is surprising that the Leafs are more valuable than about 10 different NFL teams.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
It is surprising that the Leafs are more valuable than about 10 different NFL teams.
Well, according to Forbes, their valuation doubled in the span of a year for some inexplicable reason, so for all that we know they're were, or are, just shooting in the dark with these things.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:51 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
without the TV money, they'd all be valueless so...
Not at all the point. I'm saying that hypothetically if these teams all had their own local deals then then say a national deal for SNF & MNF, where would the lower NFL teams sit?

Old
07-16-2013, 08:22 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
It's not like they were the team with the highest payroll before the cap era. I believe New York, Detroit, and Colorado all had more expensive rosters.
They were consistently in the Top 5.

They didn't spend the extra $10-20 million a year for two reasons: One, the low Canadian dollar. Two, rumour has it that they were cutting back to pay off the ACC ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well, according to Forbes, their valuation doubled in the span of a year for some inexplicable reason, so for all that we know they're were, or are, just shooting in the dark with these things.
The sale of MLSE is the reason.

If MLSE is suddenly worth $2.05 billion, then their marquee property is easily worth more than the $550 million Forbes previously had the Leafs at.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The sale of MLSE is the reason.

If MLSE is suddenly worth $2.05 billion, then their marquee property is easily worth more than the $550 million Forbes previously had the Leafs at.
In other words, they rapidly changed their valuation to actually reflect reality. Namely, they were vastly undervaluing the Leafs until this past year.

Still doesn't paint a high picture of the supposed value of these valuations.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
In other words, they rapidly changed their valuation to actually reflect reality. Namely, they were vastly undervaluing the Leafs until this past year.

This one is tough, to suss out the Leafs value separately from the other pieces of MLSE. I think it's a case of the sum of all the pieces amplifying the value of everything else, where the whole isn't really just the sum of the parts. You then just divide up the big number at the end and try to apportion it properly. Problem being that if you actually had to valuate the individual pieces in a vacuum somehow, you'd never get to that same big number at the end.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Burke the Legend

Well I question a lot of the valuations because of this. They are counting raw revenue to do the valuation, but there's a lot of different revenue structures that vary.Some streams are credited to some clubs that are controlled by the league for others, or in others are accounted to a larger corporate structure (MSG, MLSE, etc).

The bottom line is that Forbes doesn't have access to the books in most cases, the most transperancy is probably with European soccer clubs which are publicly traded but for most of the NA clubs I doubt they really know much about their real revenue situation which is why they had the Leafs valued at $550m until someone actually came along, looked at the books, and then bought it for 1$ billion or so.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
This one is tough, to suss out the Leafs value separately from the other pieces of MLSE. I think it's a case of the sum of all the pieces amplifying the value of everything else, where the whole isn't really just the sum of the parts. You then just divide up the big number at the end and try to apportion it properly. Problem being that if you actually had to valuate the individual pieces in a vacuum somehow, you'd never get to that same big number at the end.
But then I suppose the question should be asked if the methodology they used, or are using, for the Leafs is even valid then. Counting the value of other assets combining as part of MLSE towards the Leafs makes about as much sense as counting revenue sharing payments to troubled teams as part of their valuation (which, I think, they actually do do).

It's an interesting read when these valuations, and make good conversation, but they're hardly an ideal, or even accurate, measurement of the real world value of teams.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Grudy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Well I question a lot of the valuations because of this. They are counting raw revenue to do the valuation, but there's a lot of different revenue structures that vary.Some streams are credited to some clubs that are controlled by the league for others, or in others are accounted to a larger corporate structure (MSG, MLSE, etc).

The bottom line is that Forbes doesn't have access to the books in most cases, the most transperancy is probably with European soccer clubs which are publicly traded but for most of the NA clubs I doubt they really know much about their real revenue situation which is why they had the Leafs valued at $550m until someone actually came along, looked at the books, and then bought it for 1$ billion or so.
Well, they are Forbes' valuations, which they generally update accordingly once there is a sale. For example, does anyone know what the lowest-valuated team in the League was according to Forbes? Hint: the franchise was sold relatively cheaply last year, and it wasn't Phoenix.

Grudy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
htpwn

Quote:

Seems like it, which is odd, because they've all but ignored penny-on-the-dollar sales of franchises like Tampa ($85 million?), Dallas (Assumption of Debt), and Phoenix ($45 million).

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Not at all the point. I'm saying that hypothetically if these teams all had their own local deals then then say a national deal for SNF & MNF, where would the lower NFL teams sit?
You could make the same point for the EPL teams, though.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
You could make the same point for the EPL teams, though.
Hardly. They have 3 clubs on this list and nearly the entire NFL made it. PL clubs don't get their value from the TV deals, it's from the revenue thy create themselves. So I don't get what point you're trying to make here at all.