HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IV - Let's Make A Deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
trade Boyle and see if Lindberg can make it as a 4th line center. he was playing in a mens league in sweden so he should not be that far away... Boyle for some WHL prospect and a pick would be good. time to clear some salary. Boyle will make close to 2.0 at 1.9 next year.. that is a lot for what little he brings.
you really underestimate all the things Boyle does. When put in a position to succeed (something Torts didn't understand) Boyle excelled. Great PKer, great faceoff man, and with Moore he can play the wing where he's scored more and played better. I'm more than okay with keeping him around this season.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
you really underestimate all the things Boyle does. When put in a position to succeed (something Torts didn't understand) Boyle excelled. Great PKer, great faceoff man, and with Moore he can play the wing where he's scored more and played better. I'm more than okay with keeping him around this season.
How did Torts not put Boyle in a position to succeed? Boyle had far and away his best season under Torts.

07-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How did Torts not put Boyle in a position to succeed? Boyle had far and away his best season under Torts.
I was more referencing how Torts put him in roles that he wasn't suited for (offensive zone starts, playing the PP, he played way too many minutes some games). He's a 4th line center and his 21 goal season was a mirage that will never happen again, and now people expect too much of him.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
trade Boyle and see if Lindberg can make it as a 4th line center. he was playing in a mens league in sweden so he should not be that far away... Boyle for some WHL prospect and a pick would be good. time to clear some salary. Boyle will make close to 2.0 at 1.9 next year.. that is a lot for what little he brings.
What he makes in salary isn't relevant. His cap hit is 1.7 mil. It's not a big difference, but there's no need to misrepresent his cost to make your point.

If we are going to worry about players' salary rather than their cap hit, then we should talk about the 9 mil Richards will make next season

Old
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
I was more referencing how Torts put him in roles that he wasn't suited for (offensive zone starts, playing the PP, he played way too many minutes some games). He's a 4th line center and his 21 goal season was a mirage that will never happen again, and now people expect too much of him.
Boyle got the bulk of his starts in the defensive zone.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Lundsanity30

I've heard the Rangers can walk away from whatever Zucc is awarded because it's player initiated and not team. Can anyone confirm for or against?

Old
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
same was said about Blair Betts.. im sure their is someone who can do the same things as Brian Boyle for half the price.. Boyle will be an UFA. rather trade him than lose him for nothing like Prust etc.

Old
Lundsanity30

How much do Rangers save if we went with Lindberg instead of Boyle hypothetically

Old
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
How much do Rangers save if we went with Lindberg instead of Boyle hypothetically
Is that counting t-shirt sales?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:35 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Lindberg carries a cap hit of $760.000. But he has deferrable bonuses of $75.000 so he in theory would save a wee bit over $1M if he were switched with Boyles hit of $1,7M

Old
07-17-2013, 12:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Boyle got little to no time on the PP. And if he's one of the better faceoff guys on the team, why wouldn't you want him taking draws in the offensive zone?

I think Torts used him pretty well and more or less exactly how you described he should be used.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The main time that I had a really big issue with how Tortorella used Boyle was the amount he was on the ice in the last 5 minutes when the team was down a goal. That's not a great time to use him. Other than that, it was fine.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Boyle is a BARGAIN at his 1.7 cap hit

Old
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Trading either Stralman or Boyle would be stupid right now. If a kid comes up and outplays either, ship them off at the deadline. If Paul Gaustad can get a 1st rounder as a pending UFA at the deadline, Boyle definitely can.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Boyle is a BARGAIN at his 1.7 cap hit
In a world where Paul Gaustad get $3.325 per, absolutely.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I've heard the Rangers can walk away from whatever Zucc is awarded because it's player initiated and not team. Can anyone confirm for or against?
that's news to me. I was only aware of the team's ability to walk away if the award exceeds 3.5M.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
that's news to me. I was only aware of the team's ability to walk away if the award exceeds 3.5M.
That's correct. They can't walk away from anything less than $3.5M. If the team elects arbitration, they can't walk away from anything over $3.5 million, either.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Lundsanity30

As you all probably know, Mats Zuccarello's arbitration hearing is July 31st. If he and the New York Rangers can't strike a deal by then, the two will go through the hearing process in which a third party will give the two sides the appropriate salary. Since this is a player-elected arbitration, the Rangers can walk away from the number and make Zuccarello an UFA http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2013/...ncy-nhl-rumors

Old
07-17-2013, 02:37 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
same was said about Blair Betts.. im sure their is someone who can do the same things as Brian Boyle for half the price.. Boyle will be an UFA. rather trade him than lose him for nothing like Prust etc.
You forgot to bold the scoring part, which aside from last season, I think Boyle does a more than acceptable job at for a fourth liner. He's no godsend, but I'm with those who think we should keep him. My main thing is that he has consistently raised his game in the playoffs, which you don't find in every player, and is incredibly valuable on a fourth line during a long cup run. Plus, I like a player with a chip on their shoulder.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
NOt sure if it was posted, but SNY Ranger's Blog had some interesting comments from MDZ about being excited to play in a more offensive system, and that relying on Lundqvist to win 2-1 games was tough because they didn't utilize their offensive players.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-pl...-a-new-system/
and what a juicy quote that is. its about time someone said this. good on mdz.

many argued that torts had not worn out his welcome here. in fact, there were voices saying that the players actually liked the torts "system".

not only was it tough to watch, it was tough to play as well.

read the mdz quotes. seems like alot of us here were right all along.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
As you all probably know, Mats Zuccarello's arbitration hearing is July 31st. If he and the New York Rangers can't strike a deal by then, the two will go through the hearing process in which a third party will give the two sides the appropriate salary. Since this is a player-elected arbitration, the Rangers can walk away from the number and make Zuccarello an UFA http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2013/...ncy-nhl-rumors
They wrong.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
They wrong.
Ok wasn't sure

Old
07-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I don't think you realize how good Lindberg is.
With 0 NHL games, what is the relevance of this comment and how much realizing does one need to do?

Old
07-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We have no cap space. If LA is trading Clifford to save cap space, how are we in any better position to fit him? Sure, we can trade someone, but it would have to be to a 3rd team.
You are arguing we shouldn't trade a younger, cheaper player for him while citing having 'no cap space' as the reason.

I am arguing we should trade for him and deal with other contracts potentially stopping us from making the deal (IE trade waive etc Zuccarello, Boyle, Pyatt, Asham)

Old
07-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, for starters, the guys you listed (and Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik, and other young players always listed around here) can actually do something in the NHL before we start deciding we have too many of them.

I swear, some of you guys are so concerned about the next move you wind up outsmarting yourselves.
Oh, the smarmy attitude...so you'd rather have all these young players who haven't 'done something in the nhl' than move one of them for a proven commodity? For a player whose skillset would be unique on our team. And still young. And on a reasonable contract?

FYI the realist in me says we are not making any moves DZ, Pyatt, Boyle until Callahan and Hagelin come back and even then it may not happen. The hopeful part of me wants the team to add the pieces it really lacks.

Closed Thread