HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas- Did he save his job last night?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2006, 09:40 AM
  #1
remer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Thomas- Did he save his job last night?

He finally put in a great performance. Is it enought to keep his job? I guess we will wait and see. I hope their is no plan in regards to moving Hannu. He is the goalie the Bruins need for the next few years. Hopefully they are not stupid enough to go after big contracts like Nabby's or even Giggy's. Biron might be a good move, but Boston would need to involve a third team to make that move. Patience!!

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:46 AM
  #2
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,410
vCash: 500
He may not have saved it, but he certainly earned a 'stay of execution'. Hopefully, Lewis will play the lukewarm-hand in the hopes that Thomas goes on a hot streak. I've said since the beginning of the year. If one goalie gets hot, the other will rise to the occasion. But playing musical goalies always seems to go nowhere.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:47 AM
  #3
remer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Questions about our Offensive lines

The big questions might be- When is Sturm going to be back? Where to put Kessel? What to do with Murray?
I think the Bruins know they are slim on offensive talent, but chemistry is very important.
Can they put the BBS line back together? Can Kessel centre the 2nd line? What do you do with Savard? Can you trade Murray? Do we have enough physical presence on the front six?

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
  #4
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
Thomas was very good last night and earned continued time in net. Maybe he needed to lose that Montreal game to motivate himself to the next level he hit last night. He certainly did not let the boys down.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:44 AM
  #5
MaCam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 3,660
vCash: 500
I couldn't watch the game last night (just got back from vacation), but they should start Thomas again and hope he goes on a hot streak. If not Hannu is there waiting to redeem himself.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:53 AM
  #6
Backin72
Registered User
 
Backin72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 500
I don't think his job was ever in jeopardy.

Backin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:19 AM
  #7
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 14,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backin72 View Post
I don't think his job was ever in jeopardy.
Exactly.
Where would he have gone anyway? No one would take him on and he wouldn't exactly help things down in Providence.

If he saved anyones job it's the scapegoat who would have been traded next week to shake up the team.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
  #8
Gary
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind enemy lines
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
Last 2 games Thomas made a gaff with the puck, and recovered to NOT ONLY MAKE A SAVE-BUT CATCH THE DAMN PUCK. If you can do this once it makes the highlight reel, twice and he should get a acrobatics/hand-eye co-ordination medal. INCREDIBLE...

Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:42 PM
  #9
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backin72 View Post
I don't think his job was ever in jeopardy.
Exactly. If we take away the first game against Florida which he obviously didn't show up for, he has been quite good. He came within 3 mins of shutting out St. Louis and could not be faulted for the 2 goals that beat him. He played well in releif against Buffalo and played well against Montreal, beaten only by three pretty good shots. I find it hard to understand why so many on here choose to Bail on him simply because of his 1st start this season, considering how fantastic he played for us last year.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:54 PM
  #10
PoisonEye
Where's Carl?
 
PoisonEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
I think the best thing I've been seeing in the last 2 games from Thomas is he is finally playing HIS STYLE. His lateral movement has improved and he's making those big "recovery" saves when his positioning is off. I think on the 3rd goal against MTL he should have jumped at the shooter with his stick swinging like he was going to mug the guy. At least rush him. That's really the only criticism I have of him in the last 2 games.

As for Hannu, he really isn't playing what I guess you could call his style either. In his first 10 games or so last year, he looked like a rookie goalie at times. Positioning mistakes, puck handling mistakes, etc. Just rookie stuff. In the following 10 games, he looked like an NHL starter, and a good one to boot. He's playing like he did in the first 10 games right now.

I think Thomas is rounding into shape and in a couple more starts he'll really look steady. I really believe Hannu will do the same. Then it comes down to who is the better goalie. I think by game 30 or so, that's going to be Hannu...hopefully Lewis sees it and acts accordingly.

PoisonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 04:10 PM
  #11
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 9,595
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
This schedule kinda sucks too because the games have been so spread out. I thought last nights game had the potential to build momentum, but they don't play again until Thursday-ick!

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
  #12
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
This schedule kinda sucks too because the games have been so spread out. I thought last nights game had the potential to build momentum, but they don't play again until Thursday-ick!
This is too bad because Thomas could have built on last nights performance. He played like a number one last night. In fact, last night was the first night that either goalie played like a number one.

Oddly, his best save last night resulted in his own miscue behind the net. I'm not sure what the between-the-legs pass was all about, but I bet that puck sure felt good going into his glove afterwards.

I'd bring him right back on Thursday night, it's just too bad that, as you say, it's not sooner so he could build the momentum.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
  #13
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin
 
TwineTickler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 21,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Last 2 games Thomas made a gaff with the puck, and recovered to NOT ONLY MAKE A SAVE-BUT CATCH THE DAMN PUCK. If you can do this once it makes the highlight reel, twice and he should get a acrobatics/hand-eye co-ordination medal. INCREDIBLE...
the problem is the "gaffe(s)"... he recovered both times but I would prefer if he would just eliminate them completely and not have to make a spectacular play to save his keester. He played very well last night, and gave the team a chance to win which is exactly what we need. I think the tending will continue to improve especially once we get healthy on the back end.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
  #14
BostonPC
Registered User
 
BostonPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lexington, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
This is too bad because Thomas could have built on last nights performance. He played like a number one last night. In fact, last night was the first night that either goalie played like a number one.

Oddly, his best save last night resulted in his own miscue behind the net. I'm not sure what the between-the-legs pass was all about, but I bet that puck sure felt good going into his glove afterwards.

I'd bring him right back on Thursday night, it's just too bad that, as you say, it's not sooner so he could build the momentum.
Thomas should get another start.

I agree that "last night was the first night that either goalie played like a number one." Thomas looked a lot like he did last year when he was in the zone. I hope he keeps it up and goes on a long run.

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:21 PM
  #15
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post
Thomas should get another start.

I agree that "last night was the first night that either goalie played like a number one." Thomas looked a lot like he did last year when he was in the zone. I hope he keeps it up and goes on a long run.
I'm hoping that he gained a lot of confidence from last night. He did look very much like the guy who carried the team for a long stretch last year.

I think, as fans, that he's a very easy guy to root for for many reasons. I hope he keeps it up and again, I wish he could play again sooner.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
  #16
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Also, as remer asked, I do think his job may well have been on the line last night. You had to think that had he totally stunk the joint up that he may well have been on waivers as we speak.

I'm sure he had that in the back of his mind last night which may have provided a great deal of motivation.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:16 PM
  #17
Cheesy
Registered User
 
Cheesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Londonderry, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Last 2 games Thomas made a gaff with the puck, and recovered to NOT ONLY MAKE A SAVE-BUT CATCH THE DAMN PUCK. If you can do this once it makes the highlight reel, twice and he should get a acrobatics/hand-eye co-ordination medal. INCREDIBLE...
Yeah but if he stayed in the friggin net he wouldn't have to do it in the first place. He's gonna give me a heart attack.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
  #18
Cheesy
Registered User
 
Cheesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Londonderry, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
This schedule kinda sucks too because the games have been so spread out. I thought last nights game had the potential to build momentum, but they don't play again until Thursday-ick!
Their schedule REALLY sucks. I'm sick of two games in 7 nights every damn week. There's no way for the team to get into any kind of a flow.

Oh nice, post number 1000. How time flies!

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:16 AM
  #19
Saintsgoale30
Registered User
 
Saintsgoale30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saintsgoale30
I don't believe Thomas has earned his job because of his performance last night. He had one spectacular save which basically saved himself form being pulled. One game doesn't ensure that he is the #1. He played a solid game but was very lucky ona few saves which is needed. He wasn't stellar coming form a goaltender. He gave up to many rebounds and was luck Spezza didn't make a move because of his position in the net he would of been had. Unfortunately because of this laughing stock of a schedule this momentum he had won't be as strong as it would of been with a back to back game. I believe that with his step up in play Toivonen feels the pressure to perform. Also it is still early in the season to ensure these types of things. I think it will take at least 20-30 games for a starter to emerge. Toivonen has been a noted slow starter and Thomas is finally looking like he did in Providence huge saves but weak goals. I am a Hannu fan but I want what's best for this team if Thomas is it then that's great as long as we win. However Thomas supporters are quick to forget that Hannu stole the job from him in 03/04 in Providence and Thomas wasn't resigned because of the fact he didn't think he could start a majority of games in Providence with Toivo there. Being named the starter isn't a great thing it can lead to frustration and unwanted pressure. However this competition between the 2 and believe me it's there can mean nothing but good things to come. The one thing I am worried about is that if Timmay does win the job Hannu will get sent down or given insufficent playing time he is still 22 and is playing at a more competive level then 95 percent of goalies his age. Say all you want but Toivonen is the future of the team. Raask is a great prospect but he is still young, untamed, and most of all has yet to play the North American game. That in itself is a huge factor plus the chance that he won't even sign.

I DON"T CARE WHO PLAYS JUST GIVE US A WIN!

Saintsgoale30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
  #20
chippa13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Toss Toivonen out next game. Try to get both goalies going. Toivonen hasn't seen a shot in anger in over a week so its time to give him another taste.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
  #21
mattbnh
Registered User
 
mattbnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampster
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 500
Actually I though Thomas did a good job handling the puck vs Ottawa, and on the play in question, left the puck for his defenseman (gracefully? maybe not, but it was not a tangle up), and the defenseman was the one who coughed it up. Thomas got out of the way and was heading back to the net correctly (opposite side where he left the puck, to be out of the way), and made a great play to get to the opposite side to stop the puck.

bigger problem for this team as others have mentioned is being reliant on the goaltending to avg < 2.0 to have a chance of winning. Had not Ottawa given the puck to Axelsson (a noted sniper) alone in front, the Bruins would have lost in a shootout if not in OT.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.