HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which of Galchenyuk, Subban, or Price will have the best career?

Old
07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
NLHabsFan

vCash: 500
I hope all three have great, long careers together.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post
To compare Subban and Orr is not wrong at all. Subban said himself he always wanted to be like Bobby Orr, he was his idol when he was younger, his father brought him tapes of Orr and he kept watching them with admiration. Now he also admit he copy a bit his style of play, end-to-end rush etc.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:44 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Out of Galchenyuk, Subban, or Price, which do you expect to have the best career? To have the best shot at cracking the top-100 or even top-50 list of all time great NHL players one day?
I think Chucky may be an all-timer. He's the most talented young Hab I've ever seen myself. Subban too, he's special. Proved to me this year, that he belongs at the top. What is he going to do next year? His progression seems exponential at this point. I could say that for Galchenyuk as well, I guess. I expect Chucky to be really, really good this year. If he stays healthy, I can see him racking up points for a long time.

Price, for me, is still up in the air. I want to see some fire in his game again. We'll see this year what he's made of.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
From what we have seen so far, it's obviously Subban.

Could Galchenyuk pass him? I don't know. Subban has already shown that he can be almost PPG defensman. And we hope that Galchenyuk could be a PPG forward with good two way play. So an edge to Subban there.

Price is something else. Extremely talented as well, but older and still some questions marks about his game when under pressure, IMO. But he could have a Conn Smythe worthy playoff run in the next few years and I would happily eat some crow on that.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:55 PM
LeHab

Subban - already got the top award for his position
Galchy - great potential but can he be among the top 5 at C in the league?
Price - good numbers but has to prove his worth in playoffs

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:38 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

To be honest, I don't give a sh** who has the best career, I want them to have great careers TOGETHER here.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
ChoseLa

PK Subban. Price is out of the eqution at this point. If Galchenyuk reaches PK's level we'd be lucky and we never are.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Neutrino

Galchenyuk is a strong presence on the ice and most importantly strong between the ears, for a rookie he was VERY impressive in his first season.

PK has had an insane progression curve, his start in the playoffs, then a strong season and finally a Norris season. Just wow.

Carey, well... It's carey, you never know. I hope for more consistency in the future cause the skills are there.

So...

PK for what he has proven, and Galchenyuk for what he can likely become.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 PM
LeHaboholique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You have sent Galchenyuk on a quest! Just make sure he knows that the Lady Byng is a badge of shame and will not be admissible as evidence of his dominance.
We're taking the hobbits to Isengard!

LeHaboholique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:08 PM
prairie hab

PK.

He has a huge head start too.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:36 PM
guest1467

Subban.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

PK has the highest ceiling I would say.

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:45 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Call me crazy but I think Price will take his career to the next level in the next couple of years or so

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

LOL is this really the first time you have heard Cherry compare and end to end rush to Bobby Orr? He said the same thing about Al Iafrate among many others.

His final words were, "he is not Bobby Orr". Not that anything this brainless fool says matters in any way.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:21 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
We probably agree on more points than you think but the evolution of the game isn`t as linear as you may think. It was the decade of the 80`s and the post WHA expansion years prior to the influx of European players where numbers truly got skewed. There were more teams filled out with bottom tier NHL players and career minor leaguers due to an abundance of jobs and a lack of skilled players to fill them. This was eventually corrected over time with the influx of European talent.

As you can see, more players does not always mean better players. If the league added 10 more expansion teams in the next 5 years the quality of hockey would be permanently damaged as there are not any more untapped resources such as Europe from which to draw upon.

There is a strong arguement that in Orr`s days which were played with between 6 and 16 teams there weren`t many jobs available so only the best of the best were playing. It is the creation of new jobs without the resources to fill them that results in a weakened product.

It is always a futile effort to directly compare era`s in professional sports. So much of it becomes subjective as you are dealing with non comparable statistics on each side.

The easiest way to compare Orr to Subban is simply to compare their effect on the game and their relative standing to their current peers. As of right now Subban is on more of a Denis Potvin, Brad Park or Raymond Bourque type of projection and that is being very optimistic.
Bobby Orr played in the weakest era in NHL history. The league was rapidly expanding with no
Influx in talent and also had the WHA as a competitor. He beat up on the competition, but the competition was pretty meh IMO.

As far as krisse and the newer is better crowd. This has been proven a 1000 times over that the league doesn't evolve at the alarming rate that is claimed. Wayne Gretzky was scoring 97 points in his late 30's in 1999 with a
Back injury that was lucky to ever see him skate again. He wasn't far behind a prime
Jägr as an old wrecked man. He would dominate today's game with ease, the old scrawny kid had the same things said about him in 1979 as well.

Ray bourque was a 1st team Allstar in 1979 and again in 2001. The league sure passed him by. Lol. Mario scored 35 goals in 43 games on one leg with a
Broken back and was a shell of his former self, even for marios standards healthwise.in the early 2000's. just because the talent pool increases doesn't mean there will be more gretzkys and Lemieuxs. It just means the typical3rd/4th line scrub has gotten better, but they're not Mario/Gretzky competition anywAys.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
My personal opinion.

1. Galchenyuk will be a 70-80 pts player.
2. Price will be our #1 goaltender for the next 10 years.
3. About Subban, now that Zimmerman is out, so not sure his career will last longer.

for me it's subban. easy. guy's got a norris already with possibly more coming.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Bobby Orr played in the weakest era in NHL history. The league was rapidly expanding with no
Influx in talent and also had the WHA as a competitor. He beat up on the competition, but the competition was pretty meh IMO.

As far as krisse and the newer is better crowd. This has been proven a 1000 times over that the league doesn't evolve at the alarming rate that is claimed. Wayne Gretzky was scoring 97 points in his late 30's in 1999 with a
Back injury that was lucky to ever see him skate again. He wasn't far behind a prime
Jägr as an old wrecked man. He would dominate today's game with ease, the old scrawny kid had the same things said about him in 1979 as well.

Ray bourque was a 1st team Allstar in 1979 and again in 2001. The league sure passed him by. Lol. Mario scored 35 goals in 43 games on one leg with a
Broken back and was a shell of his former self, even for marios standards healthwise.in the early 2000's. just because the talent pool increases doesn't mean there will be more gretzkys and Lemieuxs. It just means the typical3rd/4th line scrub has gotten better, but they're not Mario/Gretzky competition anywAys.
Thank you. Gretzky gets underrated all the time by a lot of people that only see size. You can be big but if you can't read the game, you're just one more Evgeni Arthyukin. Gretz had the highest hockey sense of all time + skill. He maybe wouldn't score 200 pts today but he would still be a beast.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
NewbieOfGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
To be honest, I don't give a sh** who has the best career, I want them to have great careers TOGETHER here.
Lol read first post, this thread is made for people bored that are waisting their time on such predictions, but he dont expect anybody to come back in 5 years and say : i was right! or i was wrong... If you don't care, then why do you bother us with this post?

NewbieOfGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Lemons

Galchenyuk will without a doubt, barring major injury, will be the best player montreal.

18 years old. Played 12 mins a game on average. 27 points in 48 games. Highest +/- on the team.

I hope this kid trains trains and trains. Hell i hope with PK Subban.

He has all the tools to perennially hit top 10 in scoring. I can't wait to see him in 3-4 years.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:54 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

I don't think Price should be in that conversation with what we saw of the other two. Odds are it will be Subban. Galchenyuk might match his level of play at some point.

Price? He better get his game to the next level sooner than later. Unfortunately, I don't see a long future for him in Montreal.

If Fucale develops into what he's supposed to be, do you guys ACTUALLY think the fans will forgive our management to have traded yet another fan favorite, high-level goalie to make room for Price?

Bottom line; Price has little time to prove his worth going forward. Not sure the crowd will forgive him if he has an ordinary year next season. It's the nature of the beast.

I also think it's much harder for goalies to have a "franchise goaltender" reputation than it is for a d-man or for a forward. Goalies all have similar stats nowadays. Guys like Crawford and Niemi, coming out of nowhere, could prove they were able to win a cup. The difference is also much bigger between a Subban and, say, a Ference, than it is between a Brodeur and a Howard. At least on the immediate impact they have on a team.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
I remember I once said I would never trade Subban for Galchenyuk if he was not a Habs...
I still would not.

Last edited by CaptainIginla: 07-17-2013 at 02:24 PM.
CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I don't think Price should be in that conversation with what we saw of the other two. Odds are it will be Subban. Galchenyuk might match his level of play at some point.

Price? He better get his game to the next level sooner than later. Unfortunately, I don't see a long future for him in Montreal.

If Fucale develops into what he's supposed to be, do you guys ACTUALLY think the fans will forgive our management to have traded yet another fan favorite, high-level goalie to make room for Price?

Bottom line; Price has little time to prove his worth going forward. Not sure the crowd will forgive him if he has an ordinary year next season. It's the nature of the beast.

I also think it's much harder for goalies to have a "franchise goaltender" reputation than it is for a d-man or for a forward. Goalies all have similar stats nowadays. Guys like Crawford and Niemi, coming out of nowhere, could prove they were able to win a cup. The difference is also much bigger between a Subban and, say, a Ference, than it is between a Brodeur and a Howard. At least on the immediate impact they have on a team.
If we want Price to succeed, we need to help him out at least a little with a shut down guy. We really don't have one right now. I was hoping and expecting MB to get one but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

We've got a lot of talent going forward but there are aspects to our team that are really hurting us and it's just basic hockey 101.

1. We're too small up front
2. We don't go to the net nearly enough
3. We don't have guys to clear the front of our own net.
4. We're not really all that great at faceoffs.

We're fast, we've got guys who can score. Subban is a great all around blueliner (who MT for some reason never uses on the PK.) And we've got some good young talent coming up. But we've done ourselves no favours with the basics.

I really hope that Price has a good year because I don't think he's going to get much help back there. And I think we've pushed out our window for the cup with the Briere signing. Losing Price (which is a real possibility if he has a bad year) would just push us that much further away.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Darth Joker

Subban has already won a Norris. That's a pretty big headstart on Galchenyuk and Price. So I'm leaning towards Subban.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
jedimyrmidon

Anyone think Galchenyuk could one day play like Ilya Kovalchuk? (hypothetical nature of the question emphasized)

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:55 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
I see Galchenyuk as a more well rounded player, not that Kovalchuk hasn't turned into a good two way player, but I don't see Gally being as pure a sniper.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote