HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Flyers will sign Gagne to a 1 year deal, he's not going anywhere else.
Anyway, many options for the last top-9 spot

Resign Gagne, give one of the youngster(McGinn,Straka,Raffl) the opportunity, sign a FA (Morrow,Penner,Raymond) or acquire a LW in any rumoured trade for Coburn/Meszaros.

Like you, I guess it will be Gagne. Flyers embrace Loyalty.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
I agree with the point about Gagne probably being the best linemate for Couturier's development. A rookie like McGinn or Akeson could do well, but this will be an important season for Couturier, and stability with other two-way forwards should contribute positively. And if Couturier will be called upon again to go up against the opponents' top lines, having a veteran who can stay calm under pressure will be a big plus.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
captainpaxil

id actually be open to a multiyear deal for gags to make the numbers work. get him in before the over 35 clause. 4 years 6 mil or something to that effect. if he retires on the back end it doesn't count so whats it matter.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree with the point about Gagne probably being the best linemate for Couturier's development. A rookie like McGinn or Akeson could do well, but this will be an important season for Couturier, and stability with other two-way forwards should contribute positively. And if Couturier will be called upon again to go up against the opponents' top lines, having a veteran who can stay calm under pressure will be a big plus.
That's a pretty good point I never thought of and I have been pretty adamant about re-signing him. That make sme want him that much more.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
id actually be open to a multiyear deal for gags to make the numbers work. get him in before the over 35 clause. 4 years 6 mil or something to that effect. if he retires on the back end it doesn't count so whats it matter.
4 years to a veteran commits you to 4 years of a veteran in the lineup. What if Gagne doesn't retire? Are you going to trade him or bury him when young guys like Straka or whoever are looking for a wing spot in our lineup down the road?

You have guys who can play at a similar or higher level than Gagne now on cheaper contracts; some of them are even more physical, and you're an organization that has overtly been looking to get bigger and more physical on the outside.

I was in favor of a Gagne re-signing originally, but with the addition of Lecavalier forcing Schenn outside, the fact that Read is here for one last season, and the fact that Laughton as well as others are pushing for playing time, I don't think it makes sense.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
I agree.

I really want to see Gagne resigned. But from now, given his injury history, one-year deals every summer seem to be more appropiate.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I believe the Flyers are @ 50 contracts, I know 2 can slide, but I don't know if they can do that until the season starts. So Gagne won't be signed until a corresponding move is made first.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I believe the Flyers are @ 50 contracts, I know 2 can slide, but I don't know if they can do that until the season starts. So Gagne won't be signed until a corresponding move is made first.
The Flyers are at 49 contracts included all 4 RFAs that they sent QOs to.

Two of those are Slide-Risk contracts in Laughton and Stolarz.

Stolarz is going to slide putting our number down to 48.

Now if you sign Gagne, that means Laughton is going back to the OHL. His contract then slides another year still giving you 48.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
According to this article, they are at 50.

http://thehockeyguys.net/putting-on-...g-the-slots-2/

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
According to this article, they are at 50.

http://thehockeyguys.net/putting-on-...g-the-slots-2/
Oh ****. I forgot Danis.

So yeah, we're at 50.

49 really because Stolarz is going back to the CHL. 48 if Laughton goes back to the CHL, and we don't sign someone else in his stead.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Larry44

I'm torn. I like Gags, but if they are serious about getting bigger, then McGinn needs to be one of the LWs. Raffl, Akeson, Noebbels etc. would have to play exceptionally well to beat him out - he earned as spot.

Gagne may have to wait for further trades to get a chance to sign, and even then I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

If Homer throws in Talbot or Read together with Meszaros to get a deal, then we'll need Gagne. I'm sure he'll tell Simon to stay patient for another month and get in shape....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Qyburn

For sentimentality's sake, give him 1 year, 1 mil. Not a penny more.

How many Gagne jerseys can he sell? All the people who want him back already have at least one or two.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Tripod

Adding a free asset like Gagne is a good thing. Let the kids get pro experience under their belt. And if a kid REALLY impresses, trade Read since he is gone anyways next year most likely. Or hell, trade a kid for another young dman.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Esq.

Gagne has been my favorite player in the league since Pavel Bure retired, but I completely understand what the Flyers are doing with Simon. As we all know, we currently don't have contract or cap space to sign him. If we trade Meszaros, then obviously, that will change.

But I think the Flyers are also waiting to see whether or not one of the young guns (Straka, Raffl, Laughton, etc.) can fill the 3rd line LW hole at a lower price. Straka and Laughton seem to be doing quite well in camp so far, so I'd expect the Flyers are content sliding one of them into the lineup if they feel it's appropriate. If we feel the young guys could use the additional development time in the AHL or abroad, then sure, Gagne will fill in admirably alongside Couturier.

I'd love Gagne on this team, and I think he would be a good asset both on the ice and off, but we don't need him. It's always nice to have plenty of talent in case of injuries, but neither Gagne nor one of the young guys is someone you'd want to be sitting in the press box in the absence of injuries.

Ultimately, I hope we sign Gags and line him up next to Couturier. If nothing else, he's money in the playoffs.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:19 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
4 years to a veteran commits you to 4 years of a veteran in the lineup. What if Gagne doesn't retire? Are you going to trade him or bury him when young guys like Straka or whoever are looking for a wing spot in our lineup down the road?

You have guys who can play at a similar or higher level than Gagne now on cheaper contracts; some of them are even more physical, and you're an organization that has overtly been looking to get bigger and more physical on the outside.

I was in favor of a Gagne re-signing originally, but with the addition of Lecavalier forcing Schenn outside, the fact that Read is here for one last season, and the fact that Laughton as well as others are pushing for playing time, I don't think it makes sense.
Read is gone after next season and we don't know what schenn is. laughton has another year of junior eligibility. im not convinced that straka or raffl can be anything but ahl players right now and I see no good reason we should sacrifice organizational depth at this time. the flyers need to practice patience in letting these guys develop and that means doing their time down on the farm. once they've won at that level I may reconsider.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

We should sign him for one year and let the kids get more development time in the minors and let the Europeans that we picked up get used to North American ice in the AHL.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:10 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/spo...les-flyers.php

Looks like they are close to a deal. Probably already agreed upon terms. But Gagne says he hasn't signed anything, so he doesn't consider it a done deal yet.

I was just about to speculate that since Hextall came in as Asst GM, then it would make it less likely that Gagne signs with the Flyers. Considering LA kinda gave up on him last season and traded him to us.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/spo...les-flyers.php

Looks like they are close to a deal. Probably already agreed upon terms. But Gagne says he hasn't signed anything, so he doesn't consider it a done deal yet.

I was just about to speculate that since Hextall came in as Asst GM, then it would make it less likely that Gagne signs with the Flyers. Considering LA kinda gave up on him last season and traded him to us.
The fact that Gagne wasn't playing much would have nothing to do with Hextall as Sutter is the one that decides who actually plays. If anything, Lombardi/Hextall did Gagne a favour by trading him

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If Gagne re-signs, Laughton will be headed back to juniors. That's not necessarily a bad thing considering his contracts slides. Since it looks like Gagne will be inked as soon as we can move Meszaros, I would suspect our team looks like this...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

Mason
Emery

Old
07-17-2013, 01:40 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

While I would like to see Laughton on the team next year, I feel like Gagne would be a better choice. Yea Gagne's probably not going to score 30+ goals anymore, but he's someone Lavi can rely on to play in every situation. I'd say sign him for one or two years depending on what they plan on doing with Read.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'm still concerned by the lack of physicality on Couturier's wings in this lineup...

Old
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I'm still concerned by the lack of physicality on Couturier's wings in this lineup...
When Gagne gets hurt 10 games in, you'll have McGinn there to fill that role.

Last edited by Broad Street Elite: 07-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Swap Read and Simmonds as necessary.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Hope they get it worked out--I'd really like to see Gagne working with Couturier this year.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote