HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Prospect developmental camp

Old
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
It's weird that we have a potential logjam at PP QB down the road, assuming Ghost, Gus, and Hagg all turn out for the best. This is a situation I'm unfamiliar with.

07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've read quite a few encouraging things about Morin. Big guy who can skate, has a mean streak and has great hockey smarts/IQ. Sees the game well, plays within his limits, but is also getting more and more confident in his size and ability. Once he puts on more weight and really gets comfortable playing at his size, his confidence should go through the roof. He's also very receptive to coaching and always wants to get better. Another thing that should be mentioned - work ethic is off the chart and is always watching videos with regards to his game.

I'm starting to notice a trend in all the Flyers picks that they've been making as of late. Every one of the kids they've drafted all seem to have great work ethics along with great hockey IQ. This is a hockey smart group of prospects that they've drafted and are developing. I have to admit, I like it. It's a great way to build a prospect base.
I do not need the tell you how I feel about the Morin pick. This kid just wants to get better and better and have a impact when he is on the ice and help the team win. A lot of their picks have a "C" or "A" on their jersey. There is a video showing Laughton blocking a shot and is in some pain. His teammates show their concern both on the ice and bench about his well being. Something little as that tells me how his mates feel about him. There was a picture in the HN showing Hagg with the "C". I really believe that Lecavalier took a look at this team and saw potential this group has. The injury to Chris Pronger really set this team back and forced Homer to make some major moves. But in all the years I have been watching hockey, I have to admit this is a fun team to watch grow and just wished this was October already.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I do not need the tell you how I feel about the Morin pick. This kid just wants to get better and better and have a impact when he is on the ice and help the team win. A lot of their picks have a "C" or "A" on their jersey. There is a video showing Laughton blocking a shot and is in some pain. His teammates show their concern both on the ice and bench about his well being. Something little as that tells me how his mates feel about him. There was a picture in the HN showing Hagg with the "C". I really believe that Lecavalier took a look at this team and saw potential this group has. The injury to Chris Pronger really set this team back and forced Homer to make some major moves. But in all the years I have been watching hockey, I have to admit this is a fun team to watch grow and just wished this was October already.
Well said ! I find it interesting that to the dismay of many on this board that Vinnie said he really likes coach Laviolette's system and said it was one of the reasons he wanted to come to Philly, I hope he fits in nicely.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Tripod

This is how I try and look at Hagg and Morin:

In the Hockey News draft preview book, Hagg was #12 and Morin was #20. Just pretend we got Hagg at 11 and Morin with our 2nd rounder...it will make you feel much better! lol

Personally, I went into the draft hoping to get Risto at 11 and Morin with our second. But if I was told before the draft that these would be our 2 player we got with our first 2 picks I would have been quite happy. My beef is that we did not trade our 3rd rounder + for another 2nd rounder. I would have LOVED to add Fucale. I know we have Stolarz but being from Halifax, we see him a lot and was hoping to nab him. If we walked away with those 3 players...and traded the other picks to do so, I would be quite happy.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:24 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's weird that we have a potential logjam at PP QB down the road, assuming Ghost, Gus, and Hagg all turn out for the best. This is a situation I'm unfamiliar with.
Enjoy the HF dream while it lasts because as much as we all like to hype them up, prospects rarely turn out for the best. Especially defensive ones.

Gus has had a long development road and I still wouldn't call him a PP QB yet. If Ghost or Hagg turn into a serviceable top 4 NHL d-man, let alone a PP QB, in the next half decade I think we should consider ourselves lucky.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:04 AM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Enjoy the HF dream while it lasts because as much as we all like to hype them up, prospects rarely turn out for the best. Especially defensive ones.

Gus has had a long development road and I still wouldn't call him a PP QB yet. If Ghost or Hagg turn into a serviceable top 4 NHL d-man, let alone a PP QB, in the next half decade I think we should consider ourselves lucky.
Buzzkill

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Buzzkill
He's being realistic. It's far more likely that one of Morin, Hagg or Gostisbehere completely busts than it is that all 3 reach their potential.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:16 AM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
He's being realistic. It's far more likely that one of Morin, Hagg or Gostisbehere completely busts than it is that all 3 reach their potential.
Dude, I know that... still, way to be a buzkill. Let us dream damn it

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:59 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Thanks for this. I still really like the Morin pick even if I'm the only one on here that does. On the one on ones at the end I believe he won every battle and hes 17 and still growing into a huge frame. To be his age and that tall and still look that good on his skates is extremely impressive. We have to remember that when you draft players you aren't drafting them at their ceiling. It might end up being on of those Samsonov/Thornton deals where the later pick looks like a better pick for a year or two but ultimately the earlier pick has a better career.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Well said ! I find it interesting that to the dismay of many on this board that Vinnie said he really likes coach Laviolette's system and said it was one of the reasons he wanted to come to Philly, I hope he fits in nicely.
Meltzer for some reason said that Vinnie doesn't necessarily fit Lavi's system but didn't really say why....

Guess we'll see....also I wonder if Lavi will keep his modified system in place which apparently confused the players. With Bryz gone though and two goalies that can assist with the transition along with Streit on D and maybe Gus...we should see some better 5 on 5 play ..hopefully.

BTW..Meltzer's post about Straka was pretty good...forgot about how high the Flyers fans were on Pletka. I also remember Len Barrie's hype. Hopefully, Straka's work ethic which has improved will allow him to realize a longer NHL career but it does seem a year at the AHL level will do him well.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:20 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Meltzer for some reason said that Vinnie doesn't necessarily fit Lavi's system but didn't really say why....

Guess we'll see....also I wonder if Lavi will keep his modified system in place which apparently confused the players. With Bryz gone though and two goalies that can assist with the transition along with Streit on D and maybe Gus...we should see some better 5 on 5 play ..hopefully.

BTW..Meltzer's post about Straka was pretty good...forgot about how high the Flyers fans were on Pletka. I also remember Len Barrie's hype. Hopefully, Straka's work ethic which has improved will allow him to realize a longer NHL career but it does seem a year at the AHL level will do him well.
Meltzer is just trying to temper expectations. He isnt saying Straka doesnt have a NHL career, just that we dont know. Which techinically we can say about any player not playing in the NHL. I think he wrote a very similar article on Read. He wrote it on Raffl also. He isnt wrong but i dont think its bad hoping a young guy like Straka makes it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:24 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

His article today sums up my fear with straka. I'm glad he mentioned the overager thing as well. I still think he was a good signing and expect him to make a push for a roster at some point but I don't think this year will be the time.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
His article today sums up my fear with straka. I'm glad he mentioned the overager thing as well. I still think he was a good signing and expect him to make a push for a roster at some point but I don't think this year will be the time.
I definitely agree with the fears. He needs AHL time to improve on all of his skills. I also think that some of the hype stems from our recent success in the young free agent players signings (Read, Gustaffson). Our scouts clearly know what they're doing in targeting some of these guys.

Straka is just another turd in the bucket. We just need to throw all the s* on the wall and see what sticks.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
But is it more likely that one of them reaches their potential than all 3 bust? This is the difference with the farm system pre-draft. They finally have several quality prospects, and the odds would indicate that at least one becomes an impact player. Of course, that also means having some patience, both from the FO and from the fans.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I definitely agree with the fears. He needs AHL time to improve on all of his skills. I also think that some of the hype stems from our recent success in the young free agent players signings (Read, Gustaffson). Our scouts clearly know what they're doing in targeting some of these guys.

Straka is just another turd in the bucket. We just need to throw all the s* on the wall and see what sticks.
Holmgren should integrate this into his 3rd and higher round draft picks. "With our 5th round turd in the Flyers bucket, we are pleased to select ..."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But is it more likely that one of them reaches their potential than all 3 bust? This is the difference with the farm system pre-draft. They finally have several quality prospects, and the odds would indicate that at least one becomes an impact player. Of course, that also means having some patience, both from the FO and from the fans.
We are 100% on the same page. If we end up with one top 4 defensemen out of the 3 selections in less than 5 years, I call the picks a success. 2 rosterable defensemen? Huge.

Not only do we need to improve our defense, but we need to have cheap options. This is why young controlled assets are necessary to cap teams success.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
We are 100% on the same page. If we end up with one top 4 defensemen out of the 3 selections in less than 5 years, I call the picks a success. 2 rosterable defensemen? Huge.

Not only do we need to improve our defense, but we need to have cheap options. This is why young controlled assets are necessary to cap teams success.
Yup agreed. I would definitely be more disappointed in Morin if he doesn't pan out just because of where he was picked but if one of Hagg/Ghost can break into our top 4 at some point (and not because of a catastrophic series of injuries like the way Lauridson did) then I will be happy.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post

I didn't mean to imply they'll all turn out to be NHL producers. I know we'll be lucky if one of those guys makes a real impact.

My original point remains...when was the last time we even had this much potential on D in the pipeline?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-17-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:37 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Never, since I started being a fan anyway (mid 80's).

Old
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I didn't mean to imply they'll all turn out to be NHL producers. I know we'll be lucky if one of those guys makes a real impact.

My original point remains...when was the last time we even had this much potential on D in the pipeline?
Oh in that case not since before I can remember (although I didn't really start following Flyers prospects until the '03 draft/lockout).