HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Blake to replace Hextall as Assistant GM

Old
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You know there was a time when I thought if the Kings organization decided to retire Blake's number that I simply wouldn't attend that game, or would not be in my seat during the ceremony. I am beginning to change my mind. I think I may go and boo and encourage other fans to do the same.

Maybe the public embarrassment caused by such a reaction is the only way some people in the organization will get it.
I will go and I will boo without hesitation.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
I think this move shows a lot of disrespect to the Kings most loyal and knowledgeable customers. What does this move say to the honorable men that have busted their ass for Dean since he took the GM job in LA?

Blake has zero experience and has paid no dues. He has not earned this position. This is not the new culture or this organization, but rather a return to the old BS we were fed for years and years. I don't know what the f is going on, but Hextall's hunch or feeling looks pretty right on today.
Well said!

This is a total slap in the face to long time and loyal fans, and like you said in even bigger FU to a guy like Futa who deserves this gig a lot more than Blake.

I have in the past had many reservations with what Lombardi has done, but I always said he seemed like a very smart and savvy guy (maybe to a fault), he was given a lot of grief for bringing back Blake in 2006, and it pretty much blew up in his face and the critics were proven right. It's shocking they would do this again.

And as for Blake and his lack of mentorship in his second go around, it's all pretty much true. Rob was more interested in surfing and volleyball than being any kind of mentor. The veteran who was most willing to show the young d-man the ropes on and off the ice was Jaroslsv Modry. Blake was never a leader and will not go the extra mile to develop young players.

I'm sorry but this just sucks the more I think of it, and it almost surely means #4 will eventually be retired. I hope everyone who is there, especially the people who were fans before 2012 let him know how they really feel, who cares what the national media thinks, Teflon Rob deserves every booo.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I will go and I will boo without hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Well said!

This is a total slap in the face to long time and loyal fans, and like you said in even bigger FU to a guy like Futa who deserves this gig a lot more than Blake.

I have in the past had many reservations with what Lombardi has done, but I always said he seemed like a very smart and savvy guy (maybe to a fault), he was given a lot of grief for bringing back Blake in 2006, and it pretty much blew up in his face and the critics were proven right. It's shocking they would do this again.

And as for Blake and his lack of mentorship in his second go around, it's all pretty much true. Rob was more interested in surfing and volleyball than being any kind of mentor. The veteran who was most willing to show the young d-man the ropes on and off the ice was Jaroslsv Modry. Blake was never a leader and will not go the extra mile to develop young players.

I'm sorry but this just sucks the more I think of it, and it almost surely means #4 will eventually be retired. I hope everyone who is there, especially the people who were fans before 2012 let him know how they really feel, who cares what the national media thinks, Teflon Rob deserves every booo.
But, but...Blake let Jack Johnson sleep on his couch. The dumbest thing, and I mean the dumbest thing is Luc is going to scold all of us and act like we are crazy when we boo Blake the second he shows his face. This organization just seems committed to ramming Blake down our throats and I really don't understand it. Blake is not that significant in terms of Kings' history. He won a Norris, BFD!!!

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:11 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
So when are the Kings going to hire Penner as the strength and conditioning coach?
Right after Blake becomes GM and brings in Roenick as Assistant GM. In other words, soon.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:16 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
I think this move shows a lot of disrespect to the Kings most loyal and knowledgeable customers. What does this move say to the honorable men that have busted their ass for Dean since he took the GM job in LA?

Blake has zero experience and has paid no dues. He has not earned this position. This is not the new culture or this organization, but rather a return to the old BS we were fed for years and years. I don't know what the f is going on, but Hextall's hunch or feeling looks pretty right on today.
I think you hit the nail on the head right here, especially the bolded. Prior to Blake, i felt a lot of the moves we've been making this off season has made us a weaker team on the ice, i cant find too many positives for this off season but adding Blake not just to the staff but Assistant GM is baffling.

Kinda hoping Blake comes out and tries to mend some fences and everything just works out. He certainly doesnt deserve his number to be retired though...not at all.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
CandianKingsFan14

The Mayor John Hoven‏@mayorNHL3h
CONFIRMED: Rob Blake will be named LA Kings Assistant GM later this week http://goo.gl/fb/xsbza #LAKings

CandianKingsFan14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:14 PM
fsanford

I seem to recall the first go round was Leiweke was saying that Blake was asking for too many $, and he Kings could not afford to pay what he wanted. I drank the kool-aide. Blake was a bad guy. The Leiweke PR machine did a great job making Blake out to be the bad guy.

Then I see Leiweke's comments after going to Toronto, pretty much calling Kings fan's shill's and not very loyal, no support until the team made the run to the SF Final..

Realize now, I bought Leiweke's B.S. hook line and sinker. Guy is a snake oil salesman and will only spin things to show himself in a positive light

No ill will towards Blake anymore. And would clap and cheer should they ever retire his number.

And everybody says Futa got a slap in the face, so we know for sure the guy wasn't asked. I have people that work for me that like the role they have within the company, and do not have a desire to change. Just curious if anyone knows for sure Futa was passed by or if he chose to stay in his current role..

fsanford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Fat Elvis

Maybe Futa and Yannetti didn't want the job? Also have to wonder who's idea this was.

I can see DL in his office telling Rob to get him more coffee.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Reclamation Project
What will we do?

I agree and that's what I've been thinking, perhaps he didn't want it?

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Perro

I became a die hard kings fan with the arrival of all people...Yanick Perreault (same last name so as a kid I followed). When Yanick left I stayed with the kings, and grew up as Blake being one of my favorite players.
The way he left the second pissed me off more than the trade to the avalanche as we at least got something for him.
I will likely say this pisses me off, and the kings should not give him anything more for a little bit. However that will pass and I will be happy to have him back.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
ElKingsFan92

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like too many people are jumping to conclusions with this decision. Will Rob suck at first? Probably, but he'll learn and you never know, he might actually turn out to be pretty decent. Also, I became a fan right around the time Blake got traded to the Avs, so I know about how terrible his second stint with the Kings was. With that said though, that was what? 6 years ago now? Lots of things can change in 6 years.

Granted, I do feel like this is as much a PR move as just a hire based on Blake's experience and abilities in a front office position.

ElKingsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I love the doom and gloom of everybody talking like we just traded Drew and Kopi for a 2nd and the franchise is spiraling downward.

My hatred of any old Kings players died the second Brown lifted the cup. Everybody save your hate for Torres and Doan and Smith. And stop acting like like we are the Flames and have Feaster as a GM.

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
I love the doom and gloom of everybody talking like we just traded Drew and Kopi for a 2nd and the franchise is spiraling downward.

My hatred of any old Kings players died the second Brown lifted the cup. Everybody save your hate for Torres and Doan and Smith. And stop acting like like we are the Flames and have Feaster as a GM.
Rob Blake is in charge of our prospects. There is a fair amount to be concerned about.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

How does ****ing Rob Blake keep squeezing money out of this organization???? **** the Kings and **** Rob Blake. It's ****ing principle.

prin·ci·ple
/ˈprinsəpəl/
Noun

A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
A rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Well look at this way, at least the Kings didn't just give 25 year old Blake Geoffrion a job as an amatuer scout...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Whiskeypete

i would rather see #14 retired for Matty, before #4 retired for Blake. he was more heart and soul than Blake ever was.

imagine today's D corp with Norstrom on it. this would be a great D
Norstrom-DD
Mitchell-VV,
Muzz/AMart-Greene

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Rob Blake is in charge of our prospects. There is a fair amount to be concerned about.
The concern to me is to how quick everybody is turning on DL again. Shouldn't we put a little faith in the man that's made our organization what it is now compared to what it was?

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:11 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
The concern to me is to how quick everybody is turning on DL again. Shouldn't we put a little faith in the man that's made our organization what it is now compared to what it was?
I'm willing to scratch my head over some of this off-season's acquisitions knowing our cap concerns, but this is just pants on head retarded.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Meh. Nelson Emerson is still in charge of development. No doubt Blake will have input as well.

In addition to being teammates on the Kings, I think they were roomies at Bowling Green. Worries of the demise of our development system are greatly overblown.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Basilisk

I hate Rob Blake!!!

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
The only reason Hextall was interacting with the prospects was he was also the GM of the Monarchs, so he was heavily involved with them. I get the impression that this hire is solely for the role of Assistant GM with the Kings, making Blake essentially the guy that gets coffee for DL and is allowed to witness the routine duties that DL handles.

Basically think "fly on the wall" type of job. Basically Blake gets to learn how to be an NHL GM by following DL around and doing crap work... The prospects will fall to Nelson Emerson as driller pointed out and whoever is hired as the new GM for the Monarchs.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:31 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

DL said he wanted to build a model franchise (like Detroit) and he did. The Kings won their first Stanley Cup. The team is built to last. The prospect list is strong. Every game sells out. The team is gaining in overall popularity on television. People like us put up 1000 post threads on Bud Holloway. The recently departed assistant GM is in line to become another teams GM. In a screwy lockout shortened season the Kings made it to the conference finals.

I choose to remain very happy and optimistic about the Kings. Blake was a jerk, but it's in the past. I agree with ziggy stardust on this. Carcillo was an idiot, but is less of one now and could help the team. Too much of the Kings history was a disaster. Now it is over, gone, losing its grasp on the future.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
How does ****ing Rob Blake keep squeezing money out of this organization???? **** the Kings and **** Rob Blake. It's ****ing principle.

prin·ci·ple
/ˈprinsəpəl/
Noun

A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
A rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.
Good man.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:35 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
The only reason Hextall was interacting with the prospects was he was also the GM of the Monarchs, so he was heavily involved with them. I get the impression that this hire is solely for the role of Assistant GM with the Kings, making Blake essentially the guy that gets coffee for DL and is allowed to witness the routine duties that DL handles.

Basically think "fly on the wall" type of job. Basically Blake gets to learn how to be an NHL GM by following DL around and doing crap work... The prospects will fall to Nelson Emerson as driller pointed out and whoever is hired as the new GM for the Monarchs.
I just wanna know what the guy has done to deserve this position, even if it is to get DL coffee. He's still going to be paid well to do so. Were they really that deprived of candidates?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I just wanna know what the guy has done to deserve this position, even if it is to get DL coffee. He's still going to be paid well to do so. Were they really that deprived of candidates?
exactly

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote