HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers hire Ron Hextall as the new Assistant GM & Director of Hockey Operations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
  #151
A Clerk
Schennergy
 
A Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vilnius
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
this article explains why homer acts the way he does, he almost died..or maybe he did and is a zombie

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:41 AM
  #152
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
this article explains why homer acts the way he does, he almost died..or maybe he did and is a zombie
Zombie Paul Holmgren demands traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaades...

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
  #153
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Excellent article !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  #154
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Yeah, you have a point there. However, I think Holmer has been getting better scouting info involving the drafting.
Just look what Holmer has done to his farm team recently by trading away so many potentially decent players for a get-the-Cup-quick scheme. The Adirondack Phantoms are an absolute joke, thanks to the inept dealing by Paul Holmgren.

Ron Hextall was brought back to the Flyers to re-build their farm team, as well as take control of hockey operations for this franchise.
If Holmgren knew what he was doing, I doubt this move would've ever taken place.
Hextall will be the next GM, and Holmer will be available for alumni games only!

I applaud this move, Hextall for GM, ASAP.
He will bring an outside perpective to drafting and developing players.
The Kings organization knows how to find and develop defensemen.
This is a move towards winning a cup sooner, rather than later.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:37 PM
  #155
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I applaud this move, Hextall for GM, ASAP.
He will bring an outside perpective to drafting and developing players.
The Kings organization knows how to find and develop defensemen.
This is a move towards winning a cup sooner, rather than later.
The Kings have only dafted three impact defensemen in the last ten years, and one was Doughty at number two overall. The other two were Slava Voynov (a very good pick) and Alec Martinez who's nothing more than a bottom pair defenesman. Tell me again how the Kings are the preeminent franchise at drafting and developing defensemen.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:34 PM
  #156
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The Kings have only dafted three impact defensemen in the last ten years, and one was Doughty at number two overall. The other two were Slava Voynov (a very good pick) and Alec Martinez who's nothing more than a bottom pair defenesman. Tell me again how the Kings are the preeminent franchise at drafting and developing defensemen.


That train came to a screeching halt.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:12 PM
  #157
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Obviously Hextall soaked up a lot of that Daughty magic in LA and if we name him GM ASAP some of it will rub off on us. There's strong logic here.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:14 PM
  #158
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
My crystal ball tells me there is more to the hiring of Hextall then we know he could be named the GM shortly more going on here then we know.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:08 AM
  #159
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
My crystal ball tells me there is more to the hiring of Hextall then we know he could be named the GM shortly more going on here then we know.
I think there is some kind of understanding that Holmgren will resign in a year or two and take on a lesser role and then Hextall will succeed Holmgren. However, if somebody offers him a GM job sooner...he'll split.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
  #160
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think there is some kind of understanding that Holmgren will resign in a year or two and take on a lesser role and then Hextall will succeed Holmgren. However, if somebody offers him a GM job sooner...he'll split.
I could see Homer taking Clarke's job. From hockey standpoint it's probably a downgrade but money wise it's probably an upgrade.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  #161
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think there is some kind of understanding that Holmgren will resign in a year or two and take on a lesser role and then Hextall will succeed Holmgren. However, if somebody offers him a GM job sooner...he'll split.
Yeah I think that is probably what is going on. My guess is that there is a handshake deal somewhere that says Hextall is next in line, whether it is because Homer is going to resign or is being given a finite amount of time to get the job done.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:08 PM
  #162
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The Kings have only dafted three impact defensemen in the last ten years, and one was Doughty at number two overall. The other two were Slava Voynov (a very good pick) and Alec Martinez who's nothing more than a bottom pair defenesman. Tell me again how the Kings are the preeminent franchise at drafting and developing defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post


That train came to a screeching halt.
At least the kings build from the goalie out.
They have a better defense than the flyers and a Stanley Cup win in the last 40 years.
IMO, they are a better run organization than the Flyers.
Might not hurt to import some new blood into the FO, if we want to win a Cup.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:20 PM
  #163
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
At least the kings build from the goalie out.
They have a better defense than the flyers and a Stanley Cup win in the last 40 years.
IMO, they are a better run organization than the Flyers.
Might not hurt to import some new blood into the FO, if we want to win a Cup.
No **** their defense is better they actually have a franchise defensemen which they had to suck for multiple years to acquire, something we haven't had the pleasure of doing in the last decade.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:50 AM
  #164
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,886
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
No **** their defense is better they actually have a franchise defensemen which they had to suck for multiple years to acquire, something we haven't had the pleasure of doing in the last decade.
2 decades

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  #165
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,890
vCash: 5792
Bill Meltzer wrote today that the Flyers hired a scout from MoDo whose opinion they sought on drafting Hagg. So, there's more evidence that not even Paul Holmgren thinks Paul Holmgren drafts well, despite some warped reasoning that he does.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:37 AM
  #166
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bill Meltzer wrote today that the Flyers hired a scout from MoDo whose opinion they sought on drafting Hagg. So, there's more evidence that not even Paul Holmgren thinks Paul Holmgren drafts well, despite some warped reasoning that he does.
You aren't allowed to ask scouts for advice?

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:43 AM
  #167
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bill Meltzer wrote today that the Flyers hired a scout from MoDo whose opinion they sought on drafting Hagg. So, there's more evidence that not even Paul Holmgren thinks Paul Holmgren drafts well, despite some warped reasoning that he does.
It's a bad thing that he's consulting scouts? The dude has a major NHL franchise to manage. He's not really going to get a chance to go to Sweden and scout the kid himself.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:37 AM
  #168
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bill Meltzer wrote today that the Flyers hired a scout from MoDo whose opinion they sought on drafting Hagg. So, there's more evidence that not even Paul Holmgren thinks Paul Holmgren drafts well, despite some warped reasoning that he does.
I'm confused why you wrote this....am I reading it wrong. You do not think they should ask scouts?

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:55 AM
  #169
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,184
vCash: 300
Or are you saying Holmgren doesn't draft well?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:00 PM
  #170
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bill Meltzer wrote today that the Flyers hired a scout from MoDo whose opinion they sought on drafting Hagg. So, there's more evidence that not even Paul Holmgren thinks Paul Holmgren drafts well, despite some warped reasoning that he does.
You are aware that this scout works for Modo the same club Hagg played for right? Why wouldn't they go directly to the source? They can only scout one player so much.

You don't know what types of questions they were asking him for all we know it could have just been what type of person Hagg is since you can't really scout that on the ice.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:16 PM
  #171
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Holmgren would be a terrible drafter if he wasn't asking scouts for insight...

The job of the GM isn't to know everything (or even very much) about each prospect. The GM's responsibility is to listen to the counsel of his scouts (who should know very much about the prospects in their region) and weigh the information to assess which player has the best chance of becoming a player who will have an impact on the Flyers based on this information.

I'd say consulting with a Modo employee before taking Hagg would make him even better in this role. Since the GM has the final say in the draft pick, you'd want him to hear from as many advisors as possible.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:22 PM
  #172
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Holmgren would be a terrible drafter if he wasn't asking scouts for insight...

The job of the GM isn't to know everything (or even very much) about each prospect. The GM's responsibility is to listen to the counsel of his scouts (who should know very much about the prospects in their region) and weigh the information to assess which player has the best chance of becoming a player who will have an impact on the Flyers based on this information.

I'd say consulting with a Modo employee before taking Hagg would make him even better in this role. Since the GM has the final say in the draft pick, you'd want him to hear from as many advisors as possible.
It should also be noted that we didn't have a full-time scout in Sweden this year. Our Finnish scout was doubling back between Finland & Sweden this year scouting.

Hagg also played in the U-18 WJC's where the Flyers scout heavy & put a lot of emphasis on. Morin played in it as well this year.

The Flyers only talked to Hagg once leading up to the draft so for all we they could have just been asking questions to the scout about how he is a person.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  #173
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Flyers have scouts in pretty much every league/hockey regions around the world. He is going to consult with these scouts to give their views on the players that are available. It is homers job to do his due diligence an analyze things from there. There are reasons why we have focused heavily on the Q lately, and now looking to build up in Sweden again

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:24 PM
  #174
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Is someone really making an issue out of a GM talking to a scout about drafting a guy? Isn't that what we all assumed was going on prior to this earth shattering news?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:32 PM
  #175
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Is someone really making an issue out of a GM talking to a scout about drafting a guy? Isn't that what we all assumed was going on prior to this earth shattering news?
I think you're not doing your job if you aren't talking to scouts lol

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.