HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Zemgus Girgensons vs Jacob De La Rose

Old
07-17-2013, 11:32 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
will girg get a shot in the nhl next year?
He'll probably start in the A so he can hit the ground running and be the #1 midseason call-up. Larsson and Grigs are the two favored make the team out of camp.

Granted, Z is an absolute ******* beast and could go hard enough in September to make the roster.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Doublechin

Sorry to burst bubbles, but Grigorenko had bust written all over him, he still has tons of offensive abilities but I doubt his game will ever fully translate to become a top 6 NHL forward.

And Girgensons by a good amount especially because of his offensive potential.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He's sort of become the great hope to usher in this culture change and new mentality we all want.
He tweeted about hitting the weight room/eating a bowl of nails immediately after being drafted.

His attitude is everything this team needs going forward. Dude literally acts like he's carrying the hopes of his country on his back.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
I have been wondering about something for quite some time and I feel it is a good place to ask. How come Girgensons was able to jump directly to the AHL after 2 years in the USHL ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublechin View Post
Sorry to burst bubbles, but Grigorenko had bust written all over him, he still has tons of offensive abilities but I doubt his game will ever fully translate to become a top 6 NHL forward.

HFboards, ladies and gents. Bust at 18.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I have been wondering about something for quite some time and I feel it is a good place to ask. How come Girgensons was able to jump directly to the AHL after 2 years in the USHL ?
USHL does not have the same agreement governing players as the CHL leagues do. He was set to go to Vermont but changed his mind, signed with Buffalo and turned pro instead.

07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
USHL does not have the same agreement governing players as the CHL leagues do. He was set to go to Vermont but changed his mind, signed with Buffalo and turned pro instead.
So any USHL player that gets drafted can do the same ? Like McCarron if he wasnt going to London ?

Old
07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
So any USHL player that gets drafted can do the same ? Like McCarron if he wasnt going to London ?
It's possible. There was a fracture between Girgensons and the WHL team holding his rights -- Kelowna -- and that may have played into him not going to the 'dub. But yes, there is only the team's view of what they think is the best development position for the player when dealing with a USHLer signing a contract. McCarron could go to the Bulldogs, if the Habs thought that best.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
McCarron can go to the A at any time, as he wasn't drafted out of the CHL.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
You should probably get your knife and fork ready for the crow you'll be eating sometime soon.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
The consensus I've come to is that De La Rose is considered to be slightly better defensively at this stage (and from what I've seen, he looks like a possible defensive beast down the middle), while Girgensons has more offensive upside. As a general rule of the thumb, I would rather have Girgensons for that reason, although I was very happy when Montreal took De La Rose at 34 this year.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
The consensus I've come to is that De La Rose is considered to be slightly better defensively at this stage (and from what I've seen, he looks like a possible defensive beast down the middle), while Girgensons has more offensive upside. As a general rule of the thumb, I would rather have Girgensons for that reason, although I was very happy when Montreal took De La Rose at 34 this year.
Girgensons is known as a beast in all areas of the game (loves playing the body, backchecks hard, and blocks a lot of shots). Sabres fans are just starting to awe at his offensive potential, because he finally broke through at the pro level at the end of the season for Rochester. He was one of their best players by the end of the regular season and was definitively their best player in the playoffs. My favorite thing about him, though, is his attitude. Just no quit.

This post-playoff interview about sums it up for me:
Interviewer (paraphrased because I don't remember how exactly the question was worded): You had 3 goals in the series. Do you feel like individually you had a good playoff?
Girgensons: No. We lost.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Girgensons is known as a beast in all areas of the game (loves playing the body, backchecks hard, and blocks a lot of shots). Sabres fans are just starting to awe at his offensive potential, because he finally broke through at the pro level at the end of the season for Rochester. He was one of their best players by the end of the regular season and was definitively their best player in the playoffs. My favorite thing about him, though, is his attitude. Just no quit.

Interviewer (paraphrased because I don't remember how exactly the question was worded): You had 3 goals in the series. Do you feel like individually you had a good playoff?
I was always skeptical of him because I knew he was a rock on defense but I was scared that his offense wouldnt translate. He seems to have quite the complete package. Sounds like a 2nd line center for years to come if he develops like he should.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

He's one of those guys where even if his raw offensive talent is lacking, his work ethic is such where he's sure-as-**** going to do whatever it takes to maximize the tools that he does have.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:20 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

I went into this thread not knowing anything about girgs now I want him on the habs lol

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:33 PM
LongWayDown37

Quote:
I'm not sure what this has anything to do with anything in this thread other than that a couple people pointed out that they actually like Girgensons better than Grigorenko.

Girgensons is a player to be excited about on Buffalo - he seems like he's going to be one of those special players who can do it all.

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
I went into this thread not knowing anything about girgs now I want him on the habs lol
I did not want to pick him at the draft. I really didnt like what he brought and the lack of offense. Man did he prove me wrong..

Old
07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Girgensons work ethic is the best in the entire Sabres organization at was a leader at 18 with Rochester. Not saying he is the next Toews but it's been awhile since a player was drafted with the natural leadership of Girgensons.

These are the type of players who surpass expectations.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
CowbellConray

I really hope people dont start to over-value Girgensons. His work ethic is stellar but he is behind Pysyk, Grigorenko and Risto IMO.

However I attribute that to how deep the Sabres are and not a knock on Girgensons.

If all goes well he could be a 60-70 point player that has those leadership qualities. However you never know with how good his work ethic is!

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:44 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post

Sounds like a player to me.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Nightfx

Was hoping Girgensons would drop to the Flames' pick in 2012

Nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfx View Post
He did. Buffalo took him with the Flames pick.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:20 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
He did lol

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:25 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Well, technically he did fall to their pick, but I think the Flames didn't feel Girgensons had enough jank, to be frank.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:36 PM
showme25

Habs fan, but not close girgs could be great

showme25 is offline   Reply With Quote