HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Ryan Malone

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2004, 05:59 AM
  #1
D-Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Ryan Malone

What are your opinions on this kid? Besides Surovy and Kostopoulos, he is really the only offense the Pens have currently. What's his upside?

Thanks.

D-Rock is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 06:17 AM
  #2
iagreewithidiots
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Malone has all the tools to be a great power foward. He kills penalties, plays on the power play. Hes got good hands, some very good power moves. Other than Fleury hes been the Pens most impressive rookie.

Its too early to say he is the next Kevin Stevens but its not too early to say hes got potential.

iagreewithidiots is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 06:45 AM
  #3
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 70,481
vCash: 763
I love this guy. Reminds me a bit of a young LeClair.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 06:48 AM
  #4
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
I'm much more intrigued by Koltsov. His speed is deadly.

DarkHorse is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 07:09 AM
  #5
Pensfan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
He sure has looked awesome. He's the first power forward type we have had in Pittsburgh since Kevin Stevens. From the way the he has played it looks like down the road he's going to be better then Stevens. So the Leclair comparison is not far off at all. But some are saying he riminds them off a young Clark Gillies as well, both not bad.

Pensfan66 is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 07:57 AM
  #6
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan66
He sure has looked awesome. He's the first power forward type we have had in Pittsburgh since Kevin Stevens. From the way the he has played it looks like down the road he's going to be better then Stevens. So the Leclair comparison is not far off at all. But some are saying he riminds them off a young Clark Gillies as well, both not bad.
Yeah, a lot of people in the Penguin's organization and media mention Clark Gillies, but I never saw him play much, so I can't make that comparison. I have also heard LeClair, Primeau and a poor-man's Bertuzzi mentioned.

Malone is a big (6'4), strong, player with no real weaknesses. He is a good skater, has great hands, some slick moves, excellent vision and hockey sense, and already is a polished 2-way player and PKer. He has shown flashes of being able to be a dominant force on the ice and some game-breaking ability.

He just has to gain experience and consistency at this level, but all the tools are there.

jmelm is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
  #7
Super Reverse Homer
Registered User
 
Super Reverse Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm
Yeah, a lot of people in the Penguin's organization and media mention Clark Gillies, but I never saw him play much, so I can't make that comparison. I have also heard LeClair, Primeau and a poor-man's Bertuzzi mentioned.

Malone is a big (6'4), strong, player with no real weaknesses. He is a good skater, has great hands, some slick moves, excellent vision and hockey sense, and already is a polished 2-way player and PKer. He has shown flashes of being able to be a dominant force on the ice and some game-breaking ability.

He just has to gain experience and consistency at this level, but all the tools are there.

Not to rain on your parade, as I am a fellow Pens fan, but lets not get too carried away.

Similar things were said about Bates Battaglia, Wayne Primeau, Chad Kilger, and countless other potential "power forwards". How did those optimistic assessment turn out?

I am not saying Malone is a sure-fire bust, not at all. He is a big, strong, and very smart hockey player already, and the skating ability and 2-way game he plays are already pretty solid for a rookie. But he is still very rough and remains a very hopeful project. I honestly don't think he is that close to greatness that us fans can already see some LeClair, Bertuzzi, or (gasp!) HOFer Gilles in him. He might be imitating thir styles of play, but he is far from duplicating yet.

I have high hopes for Malone, which is why i am unwilling to boggle him with unrealistic (for now) expectations and comparisons to the already established stars of the game.

Just my 2 cents

Super Reverse Homer is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 08:36 AM
  #8
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 33,900
vCash: 500
Better than Stevens?
Wow I don't think so....

Evilo is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 11:11 AM
  #9
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpenguin
Not to rain on your parade, as I am a fellow Pens fan, but lets not get too carried away.

Similar things were said about Bates Battaglia, Wayne Primeau, Chad Kilger, and countless other potential "power forwards". How did those optimistic assessment turn out?

I am not saying Malone is a sure-fire bust, not at all. He is a big, strong, and very smart hockey player already, and the skating ability and 2-way game he plays are already pretty solid for a rookie. But he is still very rough and remains a very hopeful project. I honestly don't think he is that close to greatness that us fans can already see some LeClair, Bertuzzi, or (gasp!) HOFer Gilles in him. He might be imitating thir styles of play, but he is far from duplicating yet.

I have high hopes for Malone, which is why i am unwilling to boggle him with unrealistic (for now) expectations and comparisons to the already established stars of the game.

Just my 2 cents
Firstly, I believe it is a mistake that Malone is labeled as a "power forward" at this point in time. This is fairly inaccurate, in my opinion. From what we have seen from Malone this year, he plays more of a finesse game most of the time. Only sometimes does he showcase the "power game".

A lot of people (wrongly) think that just because someone is over 6'3 and 200 lbs, that they are a power forward.

Malone definitely has the potential to play a "power forward's" game, but does not do so consistently at this point. He is naturally most effective when he does use his size and strength to his advantage, but has to realize to do so more often.

And as far as Wayne Primeau and some of the other guys you mentioned, this is once again what happens when people overhype certain players or mis-judge what certain players' style of play actually is.

I have seen Primeau play 200 times, and I have NEVER seen him show the vision, hockey sense, stickhandling, or playmaking ability that we have seen from Malone. In fact, Craig Patrick has even talked about the possibility of converting Malone to centre for these reasons.

jmelm is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 11:21 AM
  #10
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm
Firstly, I believe it is a mistake that Malone is labeled as a "power forward" at this point in time. This is fairly inaccurate, in my opinion. From what we have seen from Malone this year, he plays more of a finesse game most of the time. Only sometimes does he showcase the "power game".

A lot of people (wrongly) think that just because someone is over 6'3 and 200 lbs, that they are a power forward.

Malone definitely has the potential to play a "power forward's" game, but does not do so consistently at this point. He is naturally most effective when he does use his size and strength to his advantage, but has to realize to do so more often.

And as far as Wayne Primeau and some of the other guys you mentioned, this is once again what happens when people overhype certain players or mis-judge what certain players' style of play actually is.

I have seen Primeau play 200 times, and I have NEVER seen him show the vision, hockey sense, stickhandling, or playmaking ability that we have seen from Malone. In fact, Craig Patrick has even talked about the possibility of converting Malone to centre for these reasons.

Great points. It always surprises me when people label Jason Allison, or even Joe Thornton a "power forward", when really, their games are finesse oriented. A couple other prospects that are similar is Hugh Jessiman and Brian Boyle.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 12:43 PM
  #11
Big Kov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
U are quite right about Allison, Jessiman and Boyle. But Thorton, although is a great finesse player, does play a very pyhical game (altho more so last year than this year).

Big Kov is offline  
Old
01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
  #12
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 14,770
vCash: 500
He showed some great things, but recently has been in a little bit of a slump. I think he'll just need to stay consistent, which is understandable right now because he's basically a rookie fresh from college.

He's a surprising impressive rookie who has shown some great strides and things so far.

DJ Spinoza is online now  
Old
01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
  #13
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,696
vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Better than Stevens?
Wow I don't think so....
Agreed...he'd have to be about the best power forward ever to be better than Stevens in his prime. End of career Stevens maybe, but not prime Stevens...

Malone is a big, tough, feerless kid who plays what can best be described as old time hockey. I'll compare him to a poor man's LeClair as I have never seen Gillies play.

Big McLargehuge is online now  
Old
01-10-2004, 09:02 AM
  #14
The_Wiz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Malone for Rookie of the Year ? Can i get a Hallelujah ???

The_Wiz is offline  
Old
01-10-2004, 01:07 PM
  #15
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wiz
Malone for Rookie of the Year ? Can i get a Hallelujah ???
Guys I think maybe we are going over board here throwing names out like Bertuzzi, LeClair and Stevens.
Right now I see Malone developing into a bit more offensively inclined Trent Klatt and there is nothing wrong with that kind of player.

His game has no weaknesses??? Comon guys, he's a rookie. His game has plenty of weaknesses, the biggest of which is the problem that almost all rookies go through. Consistency. He is also getting worn down recently and hasn't played as physical as he once did. I also think he needs to work on his foot speed.
The guy isnt the complete player alot of people are saying he is.
Alot of you are being homers.
He is a good player and Im glad the Pens have him and not Master Bates Battaglia, but lets get real for a second.
I also like Koltsov alot better.


Last edited by stardog: 01-10-2004 at 01:11 PM.
stardog is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.