HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/spo...les-flyers.php

Looks like they are close to a deal. Probably already agreed upon terms. But Gagne says he hasn't signed anything, so he doesn't consider it a done deal yet.

I was just about to speculate that since Hextall came in as Asst GM, then it would make it less likely that Gagne signs with the Flyers. Considering LA kinda gave up on him last season and traded him to us.
It looks like they've agreed on a contract, they are just waiting to sign it - probably as soon as Meszaros is cleared and dealt, or some other bodies are.

I would not be surprised to see Mesz and Read or Talbot traded to make some cap room...I don't think it's going to be Coburn, unless we're getting a GREAT Dman back.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
.I don't think it's going to be Coburn, unless we're getting a GREAT Dman back.
Why not...they can "easily" replace the "bum" by committee (Gervais, Foster, Huskins).

As far as Gagne..still don't see the added value..but my personal opinion. I would rather the roster spot be challenged for. Sounds like a player like Raffi per Meltzer could fill the void fairly well provided he is prepared to compete in camp...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
It looks like they've agreed on a contract, they are just waiting to sign it - probably as soon as Meszaros is cleared and dealt, or some other bodies are.

I would not be surprised to see Mesz and Read or Talbot traded to make some cap room...I don't think it's going to be Coburn, unless we're getting a GREAT Dman back.
Read wouldn't make any cap room, and Talbot wouldn't make more than a million.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Swap Read and Simmonds as necessary.
It doesn't work like that. Defensively, Read >>> Simmonds. I don't know if Simmonds could handle the defensive responsibilities of playing with Couturier.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Trading Read or Talbot along with Mez just to make room for Gagne is pretty damn stupid IMO.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Trading Read or Talbot along with Mez just to make room for Gagne is pretty damn stupid IMO.
Really stupid. Our penalty kill would become atrocious.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
It doesn't work like that. Defensively, Read >>> Simmonds. I don't know if Simmonds could handle the defensive responsibilities of playing with Couturier.
Couturier would spend the entire shift covering for Simmonds.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Curufinwe

Well then maybe BSchenn can play wing with Couturier. He did it sometimes in the AHL.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Well then maybe BSchenn can play wing with Couturier. He did it sometimes in the AHL.
I would not mind that, Schenn is very good defensively as well, but I feel Schenn will be on one of the top two lines.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
FadeToBlack

Gags and Coots on the PK would be pretty nice.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
Gags and Coots on the PK would be pretty nice.
I think that role is beyond Gagne at this point in his career. He hasn't been above 6th on whatever team he's been on in SH TOI since 2009, including being well behind Adam Hall on two different teams (both of which Gagne averaged less than a minute per game).

It also seems clear that the team sees Brayden Schenn as a winger long-term. Which is fine, because long-term we don't have much.

Quote:

Getting a great d-man back would still cost money, so that would defeat that purpose. We know Coburn is available, but in a hockey trade and not salary dump.

Teams asked about Talbot at the trade deadline, and the Flyers told everyone he wasn't available. Unless it's a great offer, there's very little to suggest that the Flyers are willing to simply dump him now. The Flyers shouldn't be trading Read or Talbot to make room for Gagne since they both fill bigger needs.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Read wouldn't make any cap room, and Talbot wouldn't make more than a million.
I don't necessarily agree with trading these guys and I don't think Homer is going to do something just to add Gagne.

But they may to have to add a player to a package with Meszaros to get someone to take him, in return for a defensive or goalie prospect.

They may sit tight and squeak under the cap as is, but I get a sense they will do something to get under the cap. I don't think they want to give Mesz away, but if a team like Calgary, that likes Read and needs a dman offers the right package Homer might take it.

If they don't think they can resign Read, would it be better to trade him now, clear some cap space by adding Mesz, then use the cap space to bring in Gagne, who can play in the top 9, do PK, etc.?

I'm still torn, but there is not room in the lineup now, so if Homer is telling him to wait a bit, something is up...

Old
07-17-2013, 11:54 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill
I really want that third line. Alternatively if he can cut it and they don't sign Gagne I am hoping Rafl can be a good defensive third liner.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
But they may to have to add a player to a package with Meszaros to get someone to take him, in return for a defensive or goalie prospect
I don't suspect it would be all that difficult to move Mezsaros, but if it is, why not retain 1 million of his hit to make it more pallatable?

I'd rather retain 1 million this year than be forced to include assets to move Mez. Mez makes 4 million. If Gagne makes more than 2 million, it's a travesty. Therefore, even if we retain 1/4 of Mez's hit, we'll be under the cap with Gagne and the rest of our assets while still having the in-season flexibility of the LTIR money.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Who do you guys see in that roster spot?

I'd put my odds at:

Gagne 30%
Laughton 30%
McGinn 15%
Raffl 15%
Holmstrom 3% (move Talbot to the 3rd line again)
Akeson/Straka 3% (scoring roles only, moving someone else down to the 3rd)
Flanagan 2% (was not "Readlike" in his stint with the Phantoms, but seemed very well rounded)
Newbury 2%. (wouldn't be a camp shocker, but is a guy that can step in and wouldn't ruin a prospect)

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I don't suspect it would be all that difficult to move Mezsaros, but if it is, why not retain 1 million of his hit to make it more pallatable?

I'd rather retain 1 million this year than be forced to include assets to move Mez. Mez makes 4 million. If Gagne makes more than 2 million, it's a travesty. Therefore, even if we retain 1/4 of Mez's hit, we'll be under the cap with Gagne and the rest of our assets while still having the in-season flexibility of the LTIR money.
Sounds like a good plan. The key is, if Gagne's in, that pretty well means they're sending Laughton back to Oshawa. They really don't need both. Laughton has to be 3LW or 4C.

Laughton [Gagne?]-Couts-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

or

Talbot-Couts-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall

Hall could take defensive zone draws?

There is no room for Gagne unless someone else is leaving or Hall/Rinaldo are being scratched regularly.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Gagne is purely a loyalty thing IMO. There is redundancy with him. Dude offers no size since he's become mostly a perimeter player and his defensive skills, while still good mostly b/c of his skating, can be replaced by somebody competing for a roster spot at camp..like a Raffi. Also, while he is willing to take a discount I'm sure he will still be a larger cap hit. Finally, his health issues are a massive concern. Again I see very little added value to the dude and if somebody says he has leadership skills..the additions of Streit, Vinnie and Razor again make Gagne redundant....

In short...PASS....but it seems they won't.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Gagne is purely a loyalty thing IMO. There is redundancy with him. Dude offers no size since he's become mostly a perimeter player and his defensive skills, while still good mostly b/c of his skating, can be replaced by somebody competing for a roster spot at camp..like a Raffi. Also, while he is willing to take a discount I'm sure he will still be a larger cap hit. Finally, his health issues are a massive concern. Again I see very little added value to the dude and if somebody says he has leadership skills..the additions of Streit, Vinnie and Razor again make Gagne redundant....

In short...PASS....but it seems they won't.
I feel like you're really underestimating Gagne. I thought he played pretty well last season, and I think you're putting too much importance on "size". Gagne's strengths are his speed and smarts, he doesn't really need to play a physical game to be successful. For a team that lacks good two-way players, I wouldn't say Gagne's redundant.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

i love Gagne, but he isnt a must signing.
I would rather deal Meszaros, let one of the kids earn that spot on the bottom 6 and save the cap space and roster spot in case they need to make a deal.
but that isnt the Flyers way. they need to maxed out in both cap space and in the 50 contracts.
Because if your not. you obviously arent trying.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
I feel like you're really underestimating Gagne. I thought he played pretty well last season, and I think you're putting too much importance on "size". Gagne's strengths are his speed and smarts, he doesn't really need to play a physical game to be successful. For a team that lacks good two-way players, I wouldn't say Gagne's redundant.
Agreed. We have bruisers in the lineup with Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, Rinaldo, Talbot... so we don't really need to have only forwards who play the body all the time. Gagne would not be redundant.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Agreed. We have bruisers in the lineup with Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, Rinaldo, Talbot... so we don't really need to have only forwards who play the body all the time. Gagne would not be redundant.
It's not about bruisers in the sense of playing smashmouth....the dude shy's away from contact altogether. That's not good in any contact sport especially hockey and it's why Sutter sat his butt. I fail to see what he did last year? Skate a straight line fast maybe?

He is a redundent player in my eyes on many levels and moreover a health risk. Not worth reserving a roster spot.....

He's going to be the next pity minutes player on this team like Briere was last year...but worse..

Old
07-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Really don't see a need for Gagne. He's not the same Gagne we grew up and loved.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It's not about bruisers in the sense of playing smashmouth....the dude shy's away from contact altogether. That's not good in any contact sport especially hockey and it's why Sutter sat his butt. I fail to see what he did last year? Skate a straight line fast maybe?

He is a redundent player in my eyes on many levels and moreover a health risk. Not worth reserving a roster spot.....

He's going to be the next pity minutes player on this team like Briere was last year...but worse..
I really disagree, I don't think he'll be a health risk whatsoever since having that growth removed. Also, he's way more of a contributor than Briere was last year. Probably similar on the offensive side, and Gagne is obviously miles above Briere in the D zone.

I'm not saying he's a must sign and I will have a slight sentimental sadness if he signs with another team, but I'm just saying if he signed here cheap it wouldn't be a bad thing.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:17 PM
JoeFlyer

I think Gagne still has something to offer. On a 3rd line with Read and Couturier I think it frees up Couturier to play a bit more. You know you're going to get solid play from those 2 wingers. Don't buy into Gagnes injury problems that much either.

Also don't think it's Laughton or Gagne. Laughton could eaily get 4th line mins as a winger (learn the trade) and soak up other mins each time a winger (Hartnell, Simmonds) sits a fighting penalty

Finally, as for the other young players, let them play in the AHL, there will be injuries and then they can get a call up and show what they can do.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Teezax

Better him than some scrub enforcer (Rosehill) who will see a few shifts a game maximum.
Gagne is a likable guy, he could be good for team morale. It's not always about the play on the ice. Sometimes all it takes is someone in your ear to change the flow of a game.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote