Notices

Looking to move to Alberta

Old
07-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Savoie16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I read you have your instrumentation and electrical. I am planning on going to school for the instrumentation in the fall.
A company you should look up is Pyramid Corporation. More specifically their Lloydminster location as they are currently looking for employees. It's on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border and is a nice small city. I live about a half hour from there. I have heard they pay very well.
Here is their job posting.
http://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=75...de4e&from=serp
Hope this helps you if you're interested

EDIT: I seen another post that Lloyd is a terrible place. He lives there and would know more than I but based on what I have seen and heard from others it is not a bad place at all.
that helps a lot to be honest it shows me some courses ill nned to take before sending stuff out because I only got my WHMIS and my Instrumentation/Electrician blocs thanks alot my friend and good luck this fall in your instrumentation course its amazing

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:20 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie16 View Post
that helps a lot to be honest it shows me some courses ill nned to take before sending stuff out because I only got my WHMIS and my Instrumentation/Electrician blocs thanks alot my friend and good luck this fall in your instrumentation course its amazing
Thank you I have heard its a good career.
Another company that I have heard friends of mine and people have a lot of success with both financially and career wise is Tarpon Energy.
Cenovus as well. I edited it and posted it is my previous post but did so after you quoted it
Anyway good luck with your move I'm sure you will find success.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Thank you I have heard its a good career.
Another company that I have heard friends of mine and people have a lot of success with both financially and career wise is Tarpon Energy.
Cenovus as well. I edited it and posted it is my previous post but did so after you quoted it
Anyway good luck with your move I'm sure you will find success.
yeah i feel like its the right move been getting a lot of support from this board and i appreciate it so much combined with the info my friend told me and the fact i could see my first NHL game and it would be in Calgary is even more amazing

Old
07-16-2013, 09:26 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Got to ask Nogger, is there a shortage of electricians? In a particular industry, or is the same old issue that outfits can't get guys to commit to the patch lifestyle and isolation?

$38 for a second year is far more than what I expected, so I'm curious if I'm out of touch with the market or what?
Not sure if there is so much a shortage, but there is always work available. (There are ALOT of meatsticks up here too, so if you have the brains it's quite easy to find work.

Patch lifetsyle isn't for everyone either, which is why they can pay an extremely ridiculous amount and have fantastic camp accommodations. It's a different scope of work too (it's not so much conduit or running lumex, it's all building cable tray and pulling big cable (3c750kcmil)
Quote:
I read you have your instrumentation and electrical. I am planning on going to school for the instrumentation in the fall.
A company you should look up is Pyramid Corporation. More specifically their Lloydminster location as they are currently looking for employees. It's on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border and is a nice small city. I live about a half hour from there. I have heard they pay very well.

EDIT: I seen another post that Lloyd is a terrible place. He lives there and would know more than I but based on what I have seen and heard from others it is not a bad place at all.

Also other companies you should look into is Tarpon Energy, Guest Controls, Cenovus Energy, maybe even Husky. They are big around where I live and are always looking for Instrument Technicians and Electricians
Good call with Pyramid That's who I work for, ironically at Cenovus energy as well. haha

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:02 PM
BVicious

For all the people saying lie about certificates, courses....why? Won't take long for someone to sniff out a fraud. Bounce around to a few company's and the industry gets pretty small.

Take the courses needed. Start as a laborer if u have to. But it's in your best interest to get all needed tickets and certificates to better your income over time.

I started at the bottom and just put my time in. High school diploma. I manage over a billion dollars worth of material for the OilSands.

Frauds are easy to sniff out. I think it's great you are ambiticious enough to relocate to Alberta for a better career and quality of life. Calgary is built on this characteristic. Which makes it a great placed. I was born and raised here. I lived in lots of places for work but always came home and was happiest here. Sniff out a job, get a cheap apartment.

Talk to some o the bigger construction company's in Calgary.....a lot of them came to Calgary from our east with no money and a tool box and now own multi million dollar company's. Calgary really is a place of opportunity. Just need to work for it.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:14 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I have some friends in the real estate development industry, owners of some of the big builders in Calgary. I've actually asked them that very question about electricians and they inferred to me that there was a shortage of electricians in Alberta in general. $38 is a LOT of money for a 2nd year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
For all the people saying lie about certificates, courses....why? Won't take long for someone to sniff out a fraud. Bounce around to a few company's and the industry gets pretty small.

Take the courses needed. Start as a laborer if u have to. But it's in your best interest to get all needed tickets and certificates to better your income over time.

I started at the bottom and just put my time in. High school diploma. I manage over a billion dollars worth of material for the OilSands.

Frauds are easy to sniff out. I think it's great you are ambiticious enough to relocate to Alberta for a better career and quality of life. Calgary is built on this characteristic. Which makes it a great placed. I was born and raised here. I lived in lots of places for work but always came home and was happiest here. Sniff out a job, get a cheap apartment.

Talk to some o the bigger construction company's in Calgary.....a lot of them came to Calgary from our east with no money and a tool box and now own multi million dollar company's. Calgary really is a place of opportunity. Just need to work for it.
Totally agree. Its in your best interest in the long run to do things the legitimate way.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:34 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:

I had a pretty good chuckle. I think you confused that statement. Obviously if you say you have something, show up with it, not that anybody really cares about a 100 dollar, 1 day course that expires "whenever". Its not a difference maker until you're expected to have it, was probably what I should've said.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:38 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:

Also other companies you should look into is Tarpon Energy, Guest Controls, Cenovus Energy, maybe even Husky. They are big around where I live and are always looking for Instrument Technicians and Electricians
Where are you from?

And I didn't say it was terrible, just don't really reccomend it, unless you want big bucks. That's really all that's here.. For any type of outside recreation we basically have one big park, than we have Sandy "Beach" about 10 mins away (basically a glorified pond). Nightlife is fairly bleh, terrible cab service, no public transpotation (yet), it is built like a town so traffic is murder during rush hours and rent has sky rocketed in the last year. Lets put it this way, this is my home, been either here or around here my whole life, and the reason I'm still here is for the money.. Like I said, if its money your after, Lloyd is where it's at.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Savoie16

has anyone ever heard of Gateway Training? they give a training that cost 4500$ but have a success rate of 100% for jobs going from 65k/year-140k/year is it legit? if anyone knows anything about them let me know

http://gatewaytrainingservices.com/index.php?cID=129

Last edited by Savoie16: 07-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Good opportunity but depending on where you go up there the drugs are rampant.

I have had some friends go and quit after a few weeks because of the environment. I have had other friends go and come back with serious drug issues after working in the camps for 6 months to a year. As well as other friends who made a ton of cash and had a good experience. Just be careful if you choose this route.
The camps my buddy works on are clean and alcohol/drug free, you get caught with anything and you get the boot.

He says its boring but its hard to complain about making 120 grand at 24 years old.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Where are you from?

And I didn't say it was terrible, just don't really reccomend it, unless you want big bucks. That's really all that's here.. For any type of outside recreation we basically have one big park, than we have Sandy "Beach" about 10 mins away (basically a glorified pond). Nightlife is fairly bleh, terrible cab service, no public transpotation (yet), it is built like a town so traffic is murder during rush hours and rent has sky rocketed in the last year. Lets put it this way, this is my home, been either here or around here my whole life, and the reason I'm still here is for the money.. Like I said, if its money your after, Lloyd is where it's at.
I'm from Vermilion. Small town about 30 minutes from Lloyd.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The camps my buddy works on are clean and alcohol/drug free, you get caught with anything and you get the boot.

He says its boring but its hard to complain about making 120 grand at 24 years old.
Thats good. I have heard it depends a lot on which camps you go to, even though they are "illegal" in all of them.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:52 AM
BVicious

Quote:
has anyone ever heard of Gateway Training? they give a training that cost 4500$ but have a success rate of 100% for jobs going from 65k/year-140k/year is it legit? if anyone knows anything about them let me know

Never heard of it but that's not any means saying it isn't legit. Although I never....ever believe a 'gaurenteed' employment statement. That is one thing I don't ever trust. Stick to SAIT. It's one of the best in the country and its credentials you earn are probably more valuable.

Again, guy looking to come to Alberta....if you apply with construction companies, not oil companies....they usually provide the training over time. Most big company's (Kiewit, PCL, Ledcor, Graham, etc) will pay for your training and if you show good work ethic will keep you busy even if the work ramps down.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Thats good. I have heard it depends a lot on which camps you go to, even though they are "illegal" in all of them.
There are camps that are like jail, and like actual prisons, drugs are still prevalent. Everyone is given a key card that only allows access to specific room in a specific wing. 24 hour security everywhere, especially at the entrances. Still, drugs are an issue and always will be.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
BVicious

Quote:
There are camps that are like jail, and like actual prisons, drugs are still prevalent. Everyone is given a key card that only allows access to specific room in a specific wing. 24 hour security everywhere, especially at the entrances. Still, drugs are an issue and always will be.
Yea the last camp I was at was like a prison. Security checkpoints, random room searches, etc. yet the drugs were actually brought into camp from the security themselves.

Again, to each is own. If your there to party, party on. If your there to make and save money...it's great.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
leoleo3535

vCash: 500
misc re AB.

The AB. forest industry is always looking for people.

With zero experience you can earn $55,000-$65,000 to start.
In addition full benefits and pension plans.

Keep in mind in AB. you pay zero provincial taxes, gas, groceries, booze, smokes etc are cheaper than most other provinces.
Areas like Whitecourt....forest based, 1.5 hr from Edm have jobs and accomodation.
Decent apt rentals for $1000-$1200

I have lived in Manitoba, Ontario, BC and AB.
I have never lived btr job wise and cost wise than in AB.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:40 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Yea the last camp I was at was like a prison. Security checkpoints, random room searches, etc. yet the drugs were actually brought into camp from the security themselves.

Again, to each is own. If your there to party, party on. If your there to make and save money...it's great.
I don't think most of the drug problems there are exactly "party drugs".

Old
07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I don't think most of the drug problems there are exactly "party drugs".
The problem with the drugs is complicated. Because the testing is the only component of the safety program, guys who would normally use (relatively) harmless narcotics are switching to ones that quickly pass through the system.

Its also patch life. Because it can feel like jail and we are a social species, the negative consequences is a concentrated amount of drug use.

And its life. Narcotics have been prevalent in society for centuries. Don't ask me why.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:45 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
The problem with the drugs is complicated. Because the testing is the only component of the safety program, guys who would normally use (relatively) harmless narcotics are switching to ones that quickly pass through the system.

Its also patch life. Because it can feel like jail and we are a social species, the negative consequences is a concentrated amount of drug use.

And its life. Narcotics have been prevalent in society for centuries. Don't ask me why.
I think one reason for the problem is there is a contingent of people who might be predisposed to drug abuse that choose to go work up there.

A lot of guys are only educated enough for simple manual labor (not talking about trades people here), people without many advantages in life. They see the money they can make up there and jump at it, which is a good thing in and of itself except when you already have a drug problem, or are prone to acquire one.

I know its a big oversimplification of a larger problem.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I think one reason for the problem is there is a contingent of people who might be predisposed to drug abuse that choose to go work up there.

A lot of guys are only educated enough for simple manual labor (not talking about trades people here), people without many advantages in life. They see the money they can make up there and jump at it, which is a good thing in and of itself except when you already have a drug problem, or are prone to acquire one.

I know its a big oversimplification of a larger problem.
Yeah, that's another one. Companies spend millions upon millions trying to find ways to resolve this issue. That's why camps now have pool tables, arcades and Tim Hortons in the lobby. That's why there's extra salary involved, and that's why the testing program is more extensive than MLBs.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

These prices are outrageous. Air brakes is a 250 course anywhere in Alberta. You want Oil Rig training from ENFORM, if looking to impress in Alberta. And truck driving school costs 3000-5000 depending how much seat time you need.

Id shop around a little more. Even call these guys at Gateway and ask them for course descriptions to ensure your getting valuable info

Last edited by MarkGio: 07-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
These prices are outrageous. Air brakes is a 250 course anywhere in Alberta. You want Oil Rig training from ENFORM, if looking to impress in Alberta. And truck driving school costs 3000-5000 depending how much seat time you need.

Id shop around a little more. Even call these guys at Gateway and ask them for course descriptions to ensure your getting valuable info
ive decided to steer away from an agency anyways and try to find work myself no sens in paying for something with a chance of "well you got no work"

Old
07-17-2013, 05:24 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

There are companies out here like Sanjel that will pay for you to get your class 1, etc. plenty out here like that, if they see potential in you, they'll put you through everything you need. And for rigs, well, it all depends I guess, companies like Weatherford (rod rigs), actually have a school in Edmonton to teach you everything. I worked a service rig, and I wouldn't pay to take a course on it, as long as you keep your eyes an ears open, and your not afraid of being yelled at, you'll be fine.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:25 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Quote:
???

Do you get commission for this?
Nope, just passed by and saw the sign lol. I think the place is rather nice too.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:47 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
ive decided to steer away from an agency anyways and try to find work myself no sens in paying for something with a chance of "well you got no work"
That's exactly it. You might find that you'll get 20 phone calls, or you might get none and then you need to maybe look at upgrading in some areas that are high in demand.

Your H2S ticket could've expired the day after you apply for a job for all they know and so you threw it out after being embarrassed at a completely different interview. This notion that Calgary was built on integrity and all that is a flat out lie. The rigs in Alberta before ISNetWorld and COR were a gong show because guys were in the middle of nowhere and could get away with anything. Guys were cutting down trees, spilling all over the bush, drinking on the job, and shooting birds out of the trees. Fights and pranks broke out all the time. Guys were running over hours, cheating on their log books, and run off the rig with no way of getting home. Nobody talks about the fragmentation and caribou population, or the farmers who got ripped off sitting on a gold mine.

Anyways, I'm just trying to help you out. I wouldn't spend a whole lot until you have to, especially when I can understand your having a tough time finding work at home. Or spend all you got for all I care.