HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere on with Melnick right now

Old
07-17-2013, 03:24 PM
hockeyman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
My pleasure.

Missed a bit at the start, he was talking about how impressive and straight Bergevin and Therrien were in meeting him. There was no lying or beating around the bush, they made their point and he said it would have been tough to top their presentation.
Thanks for the updates man.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He also hucked Price's first shutout puck into the crowd after a game. (Price doesn't give a crap though)

He really was a dirtbag when playing against us, but he's ours now.

I'm still fairly ambivalent about it.
Exactly, and this is somewhat of a taboo question now that he's with us, but I'd love to pick his brain about it if I could.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Did they ask him why he dared sign with us after being such a weasel?

side not: Im actually a fan of the signing, but it's a question that begs to be asked.
At first, maybe he seemed like a weasel, but after going to the Stanley Cup finals, and being 2 games away from winning, did he not make the right decision? He was blunt in saying he wanted to go to the team that would help him win, well he choose right.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The "hate" is way more in relation with the fact that we have a whole lot of smallish players. I am pretty sure that if on this board you add a big guy, you trade DD, and you get Brière...reaction would be totally different.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Exactly, and this is somewhat of a taboo question now that he's with us, but I'd love to pick his brain about it if I could.
Stubbs specifically asked him about that in an interview last week, Briere said he didn't remember doing it and wouldn't had he known it was Price's first shutout.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
At first, maybe he seemed like a weasel, but after going to the Stanley Cup finals, and being 2 games away from winning, did he not make the right decision? He was blunt in saying he wanted to go to the team that would help him win, well he choose right.
The Flyers didn't want him anymore, what was he supposed to say?

Sorry but I am being the Devils advocate here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Stubbs specifically asked him about that in an interview last week, Briere said he didn't remember doing it and wouldn't had he known it was Price's first shutout.
Understandable that he doesn't remember it, I guess. I can swallow this one, as there is no mercy rule and it wasn't his problem.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Saintpatrick

It's hard to like someone after hating him for so long. It would be like Lucic joining the team but I'm slowly coming around. If he can help the team in the playoffs he'll be a great pickup.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
The Flyers didn't want him anymore, what was he supposed to say?

Sorry but I am being the Devils advocate here..
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Yes they no longer wanted him at a cap hit of 6.5 million, he is no longer that player. I don't know what he was supposed to say? Are you referring to a question asked in the interview?

Old
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The "hate" is way more in relation with the fact that we have a whole lot of smallish players. I am pretty sure that if on this board you add a big guy, you trade DD, and you get Brière...reaction would be totally different.
Of course but the reality is, that we've heard the "team toughness" line many, many times before and still managed to get manhandled and embarrassed every season in pivotal encounters.

If we had a big team, Briere would've been a better pickup. But we don't. We have a perimeter team and he's another player in love with the side boards. And another rat agitator who can't defend himself.

No wonder most fans are upset at the signing.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I don't think there's a paragraph I could hate more the the one you just posted. And I'm sure Stubbs let him off the hook in order to get some questions about Gatineau's famous parks and amusements in the mix.

I wish I could tell people that I don't remember doing a bunch of crappy stuff I've done on live TV.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:34 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Of course but the reality is, that we've heard the "team toughness" line many, many times before and still managed to get manhandled and embarrassed every season in pivotal encounters.

If we had a big team, Briere would've been a better pickup. But we don't. We have a perimeter team and he's another player in love with the side boards. And another rat agitator who can't defend himself.

No wonder most fans are upset at the signing.
OK but who else can potentially pot 30 goals next season that was available and wanted to play for the Habs? The fans need to realize that these big body, those that drive the middle of the ice, well they don't grow on trees. Management needs to ice a team that will be competitive, with a potential of winning. Who knows what the deadline may bring. Adding a proven goal scorer, no matter his size, should be a good thing.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I don't think there's a paragraph I could hate more the the one you just posted. And I'm sure Stubbs let him off the hook in order to get some questions about Gatineau's famous parks and amusements in the mix.

Stubbs is a great cheerleader.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Yes they no longer wanted him at a cap hit of 6.5 million, he is no longer that player. I don't know what he was supposed to say? Are you referring to a question asked in the interview?
I was simply answering your post, I haven't followed any recent interviews that he might have given.

Philly could have re-signed him at a discount but didn't even though they are in need of firepower.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Exactly. I don't care that he chose Philly instead of Montreal. For sure Brière had his reasons to choose Philly and they were 2 games from winning the Cup. Why I didn't like the signing and still am uneasy with it is due to the built of the team, which is too small. I have nothing personal against him, I'm just pessimistic about next season, if the team stays this way.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I was simply answering your post, I haven't followed any recent interviews that he might have given.

Philly could have re-signed him at a discount but didn't even though they are in need of firepower.
Not after buying him out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
OK but who else can potentially pot 30 goals next season that was available and wanted to play for the Habs? The fans need to realize that these big body, those that drive the middle of the ice, well they don't grow on trees. Management needs to ice a team that will be competitive, with a potential of winning. Who knows what the deadline may bring. Adding a proven goal scorer, no matter his size, should be a good thing.
30 goals?!

Have you seen him play? The soft minutes he's had?! His awful production in recent years?!

Christ, this fanbase is so starved for success they're willing to deceive themselves in the face of both logos and pathos.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:

No they couldn't have. He was bought out.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Thank you Coldplay. You're the man as always!

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
In my case, the relation between the two has less to do with size and more to do with not being able to defend their way out of a paper bag, but yeah, too much of the hate is based around size here. Proven by people often grouping DD and Gionta despite completely different players.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Thanks Coldplay. Appreciate the synopsis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Thank you Coldplay. You're the man as always!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
Thanks for the updates man.
You're welcome dudes.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:47 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not after buying him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
No they couldn't have. He was bought out.
Is there a rule preventing a team to re-sign a recently bought-out player? Had no idea.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

They were not allowed to sign him after buying him out.

Quote:
30 goals?!

Have you seen him play? The soft minutes he's had?! His awful production in recent years?!

Christ, this fanbase is so starved for success they're willing to deceive themselves in the face of both logos and pathos.
I said potential 30 goal scorer. So you believe he isn't even a 20 goal scorer? 4 Million for a player that doesn't crack 20 goals will be a huge let down. (I am not counting it out, I am just trying to be optimistic)

Old
07-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Is there a rule preventing a team to re-sign a recently bought-out player? Had no idea.
The "X" player needs to play at least one year with another team. If he becomes a UFA after one year, you can sign him.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In my case, the relation between the two has less to do with size and more to do with not being able to defend their way out of a paper bag, but yeah, too much of the hate is based around size here. Proven by people often grouping DD and Gionta despite completely different players.
Agreed. I don't give a crap about the optics of having a few short players, I just want stronger clearing around our net and more presence around theirs. We need functional size, not just size for its own sake.

As others said, Briere has some offensive upside -- I'll go with 18-22-40 this season -- and seems like a good guy, but his occasional scoring flare doesn't fill a need that's mostly already filled.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agreed. I don't give a crap about the optics of having a few short players, I just want stronger clearing around our net and more presence around theirs. We need functional size, not just size for its own sake.

As others said, Briere has some offensive upside -- I'll go with 18-22-40 this season -- and seems like a good guy, but his occasional scoring flare doesn't fill a need that's mostly already filled.
I agree with the need, but how do you expect MB to go about filling this need? Did you want to sign Penner, who honestly is big, but like you said, he falls into the other big category that prefers the perimeter game. Ryan would of been nice, but Ottawa put together a package we couldn't beat. These players, they aren't easy to get. They made a good move in drafting these type of players, but now we have to wait and see how they turn out.