HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price/Miller swap?

Old
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Sure why not, then we can have threads that whine about having "given away" Carey Price because that's how we roll in Montreal. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It was the same thing at the draft we drafted big guys and fans screamed bust. We pick small skilled guys and they say we are smurfs.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
It was the same thing at the draft we drafted big guys and fans screamed bust. We pick small skilled guys and they say we are smurfs.

Bienvenue a Montreal!!!!

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Bienvenue a Montreal!!!!
Montreal, where you can go from hero to zero in just two weeks.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Montreal, where you can go from hero to zero in just two weeks.
And back to hero in 30 seconds

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:10 PM
windycity

I know this is a nitpick but can we stop calling these hypothetiocal threads "speculation" as it makes it sound like an actual deal is afoot vs. someone just pulling something out of their @ss

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I would trade Price in a second for some blue-chip defense and a power forward.
Not exactly against or for trading anyone, value just needs to be there no matter who's traded.

I'm just puzzled how you expect us to win regularly without getting a goalie in return. Don't tell me you would go the Flyers way of goaltending, that's psychopath talk. If you can't get a goalie in the trade for Price, other teams are going to ask for the moon if the Habs were to ask for some other team's goaltender. We'd be at a disadvantage.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Trade Price - NO!

I think he's gonna have a bounceback year next year under Stephane Waite and he'll prove to everyone that he is a top 5 goalie in the league, like if Waite can turn Crawford and Niemi into great goalies, imagine what he could do with Price.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:28 PM
sampollock

vanek yes

keep price!

get bigger, help price in front of the net, make the hab crease feared, right now there is just a big welcome mat in front of the crease.

MB will fix the crease part. tougher

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Out of morbid curiosity, who goes in nets?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He probably wants us to tank and get Ekblad in '14 and McDavid in '15

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
MasterD

No, but mostly because Miller is now 33 years old and Price is only 25.

I've been a Price fan since draft day, but I think he's been mishandled more than once (started by not sending him for a year in the AHL, then trading Huet and no good backup heading into the playoffs, etc. Unfortunately, I think Price is missing something between his hears... probably confidence. He reminds me more and more of guys like Fleury and Luongo.

Still hoping that the new goalie coach and the sports psychologist the Habs hired can bring him to the next level, but I think what we see is what we'll get with him... a good, top-20 NHL goalie. If a good offer came along I'd consider a trade, but ONLY if the trade is really worth it.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
j52

Subban.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Laboeuf

Price is entering his prime, 25 and already have 6-7 yrs experience. He'll get better with a new goalie coach. I would trade Price for Miller+Vanek+2 first round picks.

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I assume you're being facetious, since the Habs would immediately have to trade valuable assets, such as a blue chip Dman and a power forward, for a suitable replacement. If you are even half-serious, your whimsy has little more merit than pulling the goaltender for a sixth attacker in all 60 minutes of regulation time. Sure, the Habs would score more goals, but losing 30-8 would not please the Bell Centre fans.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
kernkraft

Gretzky got traded. Twice. So that's all I have to say about the possibility.

1-for-1, it'd just be a terrible trade for us. Miller is over the hill. Price is 10 years younger, bigger, stronger, faster. Not as good as Miller in his prime but he will be, and more.

So the trade is really about who you'd include apart from Miller. That's the interesting part. I'd ask for Vanek and Ristolainen. If you think Fucale can be another Price in 3-4 years, then that's not so crazy (similar to Halak deal). In exchange I'd give 'em a D prospect (not called Beaulieu or Tinordi) and Leblanc. Im probably asking for too much, but Vanek is UFA next season and Risto is unproven.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Vanek is a hell of a top line.

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Ristolainen

Could be a hell of a top 4 pairings.

Last edited by kernkraft: 07-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.
kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Not exactly against or for trading anyone, value just needs to be there no matter who's traded.

I'm just puzzled how you expect us to win regularly without getting a goalie in return. Don't tell me you would go the Flyers way of goaltending, that's psychopath talk. If you can't get a goalie in the trade for Price, other teams are going to ask for the moon if the Habs were to ask for some other team's goaltender. We'd be at a disadvantage.
I think you can be very successful with a 'solid' goalie, and not relying on a future 'vezina winner' to lead you. You can hide a lot of flaws with a solid blueline and tight checking team as well.

I know it can go both ways, but trading Price shouldn't ever be out of the question if we can improve the team with a few moves.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
As is, even if Price doesn't reach superstar status he's still a solid #1 goalie. A legit #1. It's not worth the risk.

Vanek on the hand, I'd inquire about for sure. However, price would be massive and reasonably so.

I stand by notion habs should've been in on Ryan. I think habs(like any team) can use some quality vs quantity.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hit the FA market?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Bullsmith

There's a guy outside my house with a picture of a flying pig. No joke. So sure, maybe Price for Miller.

No. Not even with the flying pig. Not happening.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Hit the FA market?
Any UFA who has heard that the Habs have traded Price would be in the driver's seat and demand much more than he's worth.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Someone is thinking outside of the box with this thread..

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

If Schneider can fetch Bo Horvat, I'd want Horvat + Luongo + a bit more for Price.

Listened to a radio interview with Luongo in Vegas, where he was talking to a couple of Vancouver sport reporters a week or so after the draft. Luongo was saying all the right things but he clearly isn't happy with what has transpired.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
As is, even if Price doesn't reach superstar status he's still a solid #1 goalie. A legit #1. It's not worth the risk.

Vanek on the hand, I'd inquire about for sure. However, price would be massive and reasonably so.

I stand by notion habs should've been in on Ryan. I think habs(like any team) can use some quality vs quantity.
Stand as much as you like and wear comfortable shoes. Sure Bergevin would like to add quality. However, Ryan alone couldn't elevate them by an order of magnitude. He'd have to trade for more Ryans. By the end of the day he'd have depleted a lot of assets and probably exceeded the cap. I'd say the Habs have to give their prospects more time (and I certainly don't mean one preseason) before they can assess how much they'd have to add from the trade/UFA markets. Premature trades = panic = folly.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Stand as much as you like and wear comfortable shoes. Sure Bergevin would like to add quality. However, Ryan alone couldn't elevate them by an order of magnitude. He'd have to trade for more Ryans. By the end of the day he'd have depleted a lot of assets and probably exceeded the cap. I'd say the Habs have to give their prospects more time (and I certainly don't mean one preseason) before they can assess how much they'd have to add from the trade/UFA markets. Premature trades = panic = folly.
I don't see how adding a player like Ryan is a bad thing in any scenario. We finished 2nd in conference last year and we'd add a legit top 6 winger(top 3 really...) who is young, big and talented.

Call me crazy but acquiring players like that kind of make it easier to forget about prospects. At end of the day, having a guy like Ryan removes a long term need that prospects may or may not be able to achieve.

Either way, how would acquiring a Bobby Ryan type player for what Ottawa gave be considered a 'premature' trade. That wording throws me off.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If Schneider can fetch Bo Horvat, I'd want Horvat + Luongo + a bit more for Price.

Listened to a radio interview with Luongo in Vegas, where he was talking to a couple of Vancouver sport reporters a week or so after the draft. Luongo was saying all the right things but he clearly isn't happy with what has transpired.
Why would Luongo be unhappy? He should feel more secure than he has been for quite a while. His heir apparent was traded for a draft pick that turned into a prospect at a different position.