HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buddy Robinson?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Read through the development thread and he sounds like a gem prospect.... 6'5 236, can skate, good on D and has untapped offensive upside.

Was curious how his compares to someone like Eric Daze? Does he have that type of upside?
Daze's career compares more to Ryan's.
The guy averaged 31 goals per 82 games throughout his short career, during the heart of the deadpuck era and his career was effectively over by the age of 27.

For the cost of absolutely nothing, we'd be coming out ahead if his career even mirrored Josh Langfeld's (143-9-23-32).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

hard to say, but i don't see much similarity or potential to become a daze type player. i see a possible bottom 6 nhl player with potential to jump up to a top 6 wing once in a while like greening does. i'm not sure how much skill is there.
(that's just first impression from dev camp watch)

how does he deal with the speed and length of the pro season? we'll start to see in a couple months

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:18 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Based on the development camp & the few Bingo games I saw at the end of last yr that Robinson played in, I would say he will be a 3rd line player with 2nd line potential. With his size they could also consider putting him on the 4th line to increase scoring from that line. He reminds me a great deal of Greening in that you could place him on any line when needed. He is big, fast but maybe not as tough as Greening, who is good defensively & good on the PK. I think he eventually takes Condra's spot especially, if he excels on the PK.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:23 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Based on the development camp & the few Bingo games I saw at the end of last yr that Robinson played in, I would say he will be a 3rd line player with 2nd line potential. With his size they could also consider putting him on the 4th line to increase scoring from that line. He reminds me a great deal of Greening in that you could place him on any line when needed. He is big, fast but maybe not as tough as Greening, who is good defensively & good on the PK. I think he eventually takes Condra's spot especially, if he excels on the PK.
I think that's a pretty ambitious projection. Right now him making it as a fourth liner is bold prediction.

I agree that he could possibly take Condra's spot on the 3rd/4th line. But he would have to show some amazing PK skillz to do that.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
Remember 2012-2013 was not a full season. What was it for 2011-2012?
Sorry that was for the 11-12 season. The shortened season had like 10 or something much lower.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:05 PM
The Lewler
Phil's a Jets fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
Maybe he'll turn out to be an improved version of Brian Boyle...
I just came in here to post that, sounds like a Brian Boyle type to me.

The Lewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:59 PM
chrewilson

I saw him play once when I was in Syracuse near the end of the year. I was very impressed with his speed and he drove the net pretty well a couple of times. But I was really wanting more. He could surprise me this year but overall he will probably play a handful of NHL games. Probably will not stick.

At BEST I would project him to be a solid 4th line player with 3rd line potential.

chrewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
His overall skill set is impressive, but he is still very raw. How he performs in Binghamton this season will give a better indication of his potential upside.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 375
Anything new on the buddy Robinson front? Could he have some trade value to help us out now ?

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Anything new on the buddy Robinson front? Could he have some trade value to help us out now ?
I noticed he's trying to refine his overall game better. One of our better defensive forwards. Was sent to Elmira I believe but has been not bad for a 2nd year undrafted 6'7 forward. He's also producing at .5 clip so still good production. For a big guy though he is really soft and needs to use his size better.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:58 PM
WhiteLight*

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
derriko

vCash: 50
He's 6'5", plays like he's 5'5" and has no NHL future IMO. He got sent down to Elmira for a stint here recently as well.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:15 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I just wish he was a little less "buddy" and a little more mean.

I know it's unfair to expect every big guy to have a mean streak, but I personally find it a big negative.

It doesn't look like this kid has an edge to his game. Now I could be wrong, I only saw 2-3 bingo games and read everyone's reports on dev camp, etc. but if only that could change, he would be a lock for the NHL.
Yeah, definitely doesn't seem to have any nasty side to his game but there's a lot of other stuff there to make him Interesting.

He's scored some surprisingly skilled goals in Bingo already. He seems to have a heavy clapper and precise wrister when he can get it off.

The best comparison I can come up with is Dustin Penner or Greening with better hands. He's a long ways off but he has the tools to score goals as a big man. I expect to see him play another year in Bingo before he gets considered for a call up.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 375
Can some people who follow Bingo closely tell us where Buddy is at ? What is his near term and potential long term potential ?

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Whizar
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Can some people who follow Bingo closely tell us where Buddy is at ? What is his near term and potential long term potential ?
bigger condra or bigger less developed greening lol

I remember him having an impressive two goal game with some finish to score on a break away

Whizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

So, after two games any thoughts on him?

I've been happy with his play, though the sample is pretty small. He seems to finish his checks (normal for a call-up), be responsible positionally, and can skate and move the puck.

Does he get a contract for next year? Before this callup, I expected us to let him walk. He's looked pretty comfortable out there though, so maybe there's hope for him yet.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:00 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
So, after two games any thoughts on him?

I've been happy with his play, though the sample is pretty small. He seems to finish his checks (normal for a call-up), be responsible positionally, and can skate and move the puck.

Does he get a contract for next year? Before this callup, I expected us to let him walk. He's looked pretty comfortable out there though, so maybe there's hope for him yet.
I like his game. He's big, finishes his checks and he's not afraid to go to the front of the net. If he can learn to chuck the knucks, he can be our new Neil circa 2007. Guy who can do 15 goals-15 assists and provide some energy.

04-08-2016, 10:16 AM
otown

Buddy is a strong candidate for a 3rd or 4th line role as a future Senator. You don't have to overpay guys in this role when you have guys like Buddy around. Save the big bucks for the goal scorers and solid D.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:20 AM
ChelFan31

2-3 games isn't enough of a time span to properly evaluate a player...

lets not get too caught up in a couple games and under/overestimate his abilities upon this...hopefully murray and co. don't sign him to a Colin Greening 2.0 contract and handicap the next incoming GM for the next 4 years

Last edited by ChelFan31: 04-08-2016 at 10:27 AM.
ChelFan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Sensinitis

Possible Neil replacement, with less fighting which is fine because that aspect of the game is disappearing in a hurry.

Less fighting but possibly more intimidation factor... He's huuuuge.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

vCash: 450
Daze had 3 years over 50pts
Ryan has 6

Last edited by Big Papi: 04-08-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: addition
Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensinitis View Post
Possible Neil replacement, with less fighting which is fine because that aspect of the game is disappearing in a hurry.

Less fighting but possibly more intimidation factor... He's huuuuge.
He'll intimidate guys the same way Brian Boyle intimidates guys, which is to say not really at all.

Don't care though, he seems like a good bottom 6 fit. I'd give him a 1 or 2 year ~900k contract without thinking twice (two way of course, so much less when playing in the AHL)

Old
04-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelFan31 View Post
2-3 games isn't enough of a time span to properly evaluate a player...

lets not get too caught up in a couple games and under/overestimate his abilities upon this...hopefully murray and co. don't sign him to a Colin Greening 2.0 contract and handicap the next incoming GM for the next 4 years
Greening had 3 seasons and over 100 NHL games when signed. wth are you bringing up that contract for?

He's not getting signed to more than 2 years, and even then he'd likely only get a 1 year deal. I highly doubt he gets over 1 mil too. After taking a quick look, his QO needs to be 971.25k, so that's what he likely gets if a contract is offered.

Old
04-08-2016, 10:46 AM
MrPeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
He'll intimidate guys the same way Brian Boyle intimidates guys, which is to say not really at all.

Don't care though, he seems like a good bottom 6 fit. I'd give him a 1 or 2 year ~900k contract without thinking twice (two way of course, so much less when playing in the AHL)
Pretty much this. He can fill in on the 4th line and not be useless. If the team is looking for size on the 4th line I'd much prefer Robinson to DD. It's too bad he isn't more physical but his skating is a plus for his size.

MrPeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiassonTale View Post
Pretty much this. He can fill in on the 4th line and not be useless. If the team is looking for size on the 4th line I'd much prefer Robinson to DD. It's too bad he isn't more physical but his skating is a plus for his size.
Well, he did crush Shultz, so there's that. Totally agree about him of DD, night and day in terms of skill.