HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Ready4show

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
How would a thing like that infected the ice quality?
Better ice (hopefully) would result however, no more improved than from what they are doing to upgrade the ice system this summer, just 3' higher than original fifth floor level inside the arena.

And BTY, this talk about the ice being bad because it is situated above a train station is Rubbish. The train station is at least 40' below the playing floor and is not a factor.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:02 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4show View Post
Better ice (hopefully) would result however, no more improved than from what they are doing to upgrade the ice system this summer, just 3' higher than original fifth floor level inside the arena.

And BTY, this talk about the ice being bad because it is situated above a train station is Rubbish. The train station is at least 40' below the playing floor and is not a factor.
Heat rises yo.

Don't know if this was brought up, but does anyone know if the bridges will effect the camera angle broadcast on the TV? I would hope they don't appear on camera, that would be a major distraction for the viewer.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Ready4show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Wasn't the ceiling/roof going to be raised higher up?
The ceiling was raised. Not the cable suspended roof, but the outer apron between the escalator towers on both the 31st & 33rd St. sides. The pitch of the apron has been reduced. Now "flatter".

Old
07-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Ready4show

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Heat rises yo.

Don't know if this was brought up, but does anyone know if the bridges will effect the camera angle broadcast on the TV? I would hope they don't appear on camera, that would be a major distraction for the viewer.
Really? Thanks for that!

Still rubbish. Penn Station has nothing to do with the ice quality or lack there of. Period.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
I thought these guys did a good job of shutting everyone up about the rink above the train station, but I guess I was wrong. So here's a refresher:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
It has to do just as much w/ the building HVAC and associated building use as much as it does w/ the ice plant.

High resolution photos of the ice do show a high number of cracks/fissures on the ice of MSG. Ice cracking is the result of the ice being "too cold". The ice gets too cold or warm when they are trying to adjust because of the change in building heat/humidity (from people and outside weather).

With constant and varying building use, the ambient air and humidity at MSG changes quite a bit. Beter ice is usually found at single use facilities not because of a superior ice plant system, but a more stable environment that allows few temperature condition fluctuations.

Think of the ice plant as a giant kitchen refrigerator. A typical fridge doesn't stay at 37 degrees, but cycles constantly trying to achieve 37 on average (ex. high of 40, low of 35). A new ice plant system will allow a more efficient and timely temperature cycling to take place beneath the ice, staying closer to the target temp at all times (tighter temperature range).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
As a premier ice maintenance technician I can tell you that the wooden rubber has zero effect on the ice because the ice is cooled from the piping undereath (the piping has calcium chloride or glycol running through them which allows the piping run below freezing) imbedded in the concrete floor (or sand floor which are used in smaller rinks) thus the wooden rubber works as an insulator and preserves the ice. The Zamboni takes care of any imperfections as it cuts the top layer of the ice with a blade (adjustable, as mentioned) and lays water on top. The reason why the ice is bad is the placement of the stands, because there are so many people packed in tight it creates a ring of warmth around the ice. I know that there is only three occasions where the ice is being melted. These events are the circus, the bull riding and the dog show. They have to redo the ice each time which actually makes the ice better because it's new ice.

The cracks that you see, is because the ice is settling. Happens mainly to the new ice from the weight of the Zamboni and has zero effect to the actual ice.

e: this from few weeks ago when we redid our ice and were building the ice higher. Happens every time and it's completely normal

Old
07-11-2013, 06:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4show View Post
Really? Thanks for that!

Still rubbish. Penn Station has nothing to do with the ice quality or lack there of. Period.
Thanks for setting us straight. lol

Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)

More of the scoreboard assembly is visible here. Not sure if that top bit is ad space or part of the board itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoreboard.jpg‎ (518.6 KB, 100 views)

Old
07-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

http://rangers2013.io-media.com/#

image from the New seating chart...

Old
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

row 12 in 223 on the aisle is obstructed by the railing, right?

Old
07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
row 12 in 223 on the aisle is obstructed by the railing, right?
Yes. 223 Row 12 Seats 1 and 2 will be across the aisle from my old seats in 222. You don't want them, because although the leg room is very very ample, the hand-rail for the glass surrounding the portal will be in your line of sight, and in 223, that line of sight will be your view of the net the Rangers attack twice.

Here is a photo from across the aisle in my previous post:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=449

I took that picture, and am 6'-5". If you are of average height, the obstruction will be worse, because it will be higher in your view-path. (That picture was taken from the second seat from the aisle.) If you can get Row 11, you are golden. (Personally checked the row 11 seats - the glass is below your line of sight, as is the handrail. It's at the knuckle in the aisle where the problem is.)

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
07-17-2013, 05:56 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

ok thanks, appreciate the tip

Old
07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I am in row 10 - I was thinking the bridge would be right above my head but its a little in front of me. Maybe I get the best of both worlds? A full view of the ice and scoreboard and if I tilt my head straight up I can see the bridge monitors?

Edit - And I think the bridge seating looks pretty cool (from the bridge seats). Has any pricing info been released on the "300s"?

Old
07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I am in row 10 - I was thinking the bridge would be right above my head but its a little in front of me. Maybe I get the best of both worlds? A full view of the ice and scoreboard and if I tilt my head straight up I can see the bridge monitors?

Edit - And I think the bridge seating looks pretty cool (from the bridge seats). Has any pricing info been released on the "300s"?
No pricing info yet. But I've read that these will be sold as "premium" seats, so most likely $100+.

Old
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No pricing info yet. But I've read that these will be sold as "premium" seats, so most likely $100+.
It is certain that seats facing the neutral zone will cost more than the seats facing the defensive zones which will certainly be more than West Balcony seats...

Old
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
It is certain that seats facing the neutral zone will cost more than the seats facing the defensive zones which will certainly be more than West Balcony seats...
That would seem to be logical! These are going to be the garden's "gimmick" seats, like the monster seats at Fenway. How do you know you can charge three times as much for nosebleeds in the bleachers until you try??

Old
07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
ratdog07067

As far as bridge pricing, I know hockey and concert seating/pricing are different, but I did notice that for the Eagles in November bridge seating is in the 2nd highest pricing group -

2013-07-19 11_47_12-Tickets _ Eagles - New York NY at Ticketmaster.jpg

Not sure if that's any indication of how they'll be priced for hockey

Old
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
ThisYearsModel

No prices for the bridges but it seems clear that the TV and radio booths will be on the bridge on the 31st St. Cameras will probably be up there too, which will result in a more top-down TV view. This is based on the Garden season ticket interactive site. The bridge ticket prices are "call for more information." Select "level 10" view. Cheapest season seat price downstairs is $118.

Old
07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
No prices for the bridges but it seems clear that the TV and radio booths will be on the bridge on the 31st St. Cameras will probably be up there too, which will result in a more top-down TV view. This is based on the Garden season ticket interactive site. The bridge ticket prices are "call for more information." Select "level 10" view. Cheapest season seat price downstairs is $118.
the main tv cameras will not be there.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
srsly989

Quote:
No way the cameras will be up there. That's just silly and will crowd up the bridges big time. I'm also sure they would've been seen there in the earlier renderings. And the view would just be awful for television.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:41 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
No way the cameras will be up there. That's just silly and will crowd up the bridges big time. I'm also sure they would've been seen there in the earlier renderings. And the view would just be awful for television.
Are there suites up there? If you look at the map and try to click on the walled in areas, it looks like either a pressbox or suites.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Are there suites up there? If you look at the map and try to click on the walled in areas, it looks like either a pressbox or suites.
No "official" Suites on level 10, but they do have rooms with seats called "lofts" (IMO if a duck quacks like a duck...). I think there will still be a small west balcony type area on the east end which they are calling "lounges"

Old
07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
OKnumber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
No "official" Suites on level 10, but they do have rooms with seats called "lofts" (IMO if a duck quacks like a duck...). I think there will still be a small west balcony type area on the east end which they are calling "lounges"
Looks like the "Budweiser Fan Deck" is history. Too Bad. I was hoping it would be a good place to go and stand and watch the game. The west balcony doesn't allow this because the counters in front of the bar stool seats are too high.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:32 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnumber25 View Post
Looks like the "Budweiser Fan Deck" is history. Too Bad. I was hoping it would be a good place to go and stand and watch the game. The west balcony doesn't allow this because the counters in front of the bar stool seats are too high.
thats not necessarily true.. thats just what that seating is called. there should be still fan areas behind the seating there

Old
07-21-2013, 10:56 AM
OKnumber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
thats not necessarily true.. thats just what that seating is called. there should be still fan areas behind the seating there
I hope you're right. I plan to find out first hand on 10/28!

Old
07-22-2013, 07:52 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Any new picture updates on the screen? I hope it's as big as the Bell Centre's. But not so much bigger where it's distracting.

Closed Thread