HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of new divisions/playoff format on our playoff chances going forward

Old
07-17-2013, 06:21 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Impact of new divisions/playoff format on our playoff chances going forward

I'm curious to see how this plays out over the coming years. My first thought was it will be extremely difficult to make the playoffs going forward due to the new division we are in. But when you look at the schedule as a whole it may not be that bad.

Old Format

Within Division ------> 6 games x 4 teams = 24gms (29% of schedule)

Within Conference --> 4 games x 10 teams = 40gms (49%)

Non Conference ----> 1 game x 12 teams (12gms) + 2 games x 3 teams (6gms) = 18gms (22%)

New Format

Within Division ------> 5 games x 2 teams (10gms) + 4 games x 5 teams (20gms) = 30gms (37%)

Within Conference --> 3 games x 8 teams = 24gms (29%)

Non Conference -----> 2 games x 14 teams = 28gms (34%)

The 4 Divisions

Western Conference

Division A (7) ---> Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Division B (7) ---> Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Division C (8) ---> Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Tampa, Ottawa, Toronto

Division D (8) ---> Carolina, Columbus, NY Rangers, NY Isles, NJ Devils, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

It wouldn't surprise me to see anybody but Boston and Detroit flirt with the playoff bubble. I'm not sure our division will be as tough as folks fear, although I hope it is.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see anybody but Boston and Detroit flirt with the playoff bubble. I'm not sure our division will be as tough as folks fear, although I hope it is.
One way for that to happen is our two 5gm divisional opponents turn out to be Boston and Detroit next year.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I

The 4 Divisions

Western Conference

Division A (7) ---> Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Division B (7) ---> Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Division C (8) ---> Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Tampa, Ottawa, Toronto

Division D (8) ---> Carolina, Columbus, NY Rangers, NY Isles, NJ Devils, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

based on this season:

playoff teams:

DIV C Monteal (1), Boston (2), toronto (3), Ottawa(4)
DIV D Pittsburgh (1) Washington(2), Rangers/Detroit (3/4)*
*unsure what the second tiebreak would be since they tied in pts and ROW

DIV B Chicago (1) ST Louis (2) ,Minnesota (3)
DIV A anaheim(1), LA(2), Vancouver (3) San Jose (4),Phoenix(5)*

*PhX shifts to division B and play in that division playoffs facing Chicago first.

Buffalo palyed well against their division foes and well against the better teams in the other divisions. They were brutal against the SE and they are ususally one of the better records for interconference games but they lost that.

I think Florida and Tampa Bay will be sitting at the bottom of the division with buffalo competing with their division teams and detroit for the top 4 spots. I think Montreal takes a step back from last years strong showing and might miss the playoffs.

In the other division I think Carolina, Philadelphia, and NJ will be sitting at the bottom and Pit, Was, NYR, Columbus with the Islanders on the fence.

In the west.....

I thik Dallas and Colorado are the worst teams , Chicago is the best with WPG, NASH, STL, and MIN battling for 3 spots

In the other division its LAK to win if they show up from the start. Calgary will be near the bottom as will PHX. VAN, EDM, ANA, and SJ will be battling for the next 3 spots. I think next year EDM will take a spot from one of the other teams.

teams that make who missed....columbus and Edmonton
teams that miss that made,...Montreal and San Jose

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

the division C and D don't make sense, Columbus and the Isles or Rangers or Devils should be moved into C and Florida and Tampa should be in D, the most southern NY states should play with Florida and Tampa since their both southern teams.

Northern Eastern teams grouped in one division
Southen Eastern teams grouped in one division

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
the division C and D don't make sense, Columbus and or Isles, Rangers or Devils should be moved into C and Florida and Tampa should be in D, the most southern NY states should play with Florida and Tampa since their both southern teams.
The reason they did this was because they felt the NE/Canadian connection to florida would boost attendance. Their is a good number of part time residents from Canada who live in Florida in the winter.

Yes you could argue its eiher Columbus and Pittsburgh or Rangers and Islanders go instead. You need to keep Columus with Pittsburgh. They are only 2 hr drive apart---its a natural rivalry. Its already been built up from football.

when they expand to 32 teams....they will have a south division of having Nashville, florida, Tampa Bay and either Carolina or Dallas.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Disengage

Quote:
the division C and D don't make sense, Columbus and the Isles or Rangers or Devils should be moved into C and Florida and Tampa should be in D, the most southern NY states should play with Florida and Tampa since their both southern teams.

Northern Eastern teams grouped in one division
Southen Eastern teams grouped in one division
It's not about being geographically correct as it's about preserving rivalries. It's why the Cowboys play in the NFC East. Tampa Bay and Florida only have a true rivalry with each other (Tampa you could make a case for a rivalry with Washington). The Northeast teams' fans generally travel to Florida more than the Atlantic division.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Long term: it changes nothing. Boston, Detroit, etc will have their ups and downs...if the Sabres are good they will make it, if not they won't.

Short term: Yeah, it will be tough. We'll see what happens when the rebuild is done though.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Imlach a cup

1) divisions stay no more than 1 time zone from the 2 furthest teams

2) divisions maximize attendance based on opponents

Florida needs the northern teams because they're a better draw than the Atlantic teams and Tampa goes with Florida.

I think the new divisions won't have an impact on Buffalo. We won't make the playoffs regardless.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Having a different number of teams in the East and West is unjustifiable, in my opinion. I can't believe the East teams approved this. It's a total joke. Move CBJ to the West and have 2 conferences, with no divisions. Top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs. Pretty simple.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Having a different number of teams in the East and West is unjustifiable, in my opinion. I can't believe the East teams approved this. It's a total joke. Move CBJ to the West and have 2 conferences, with no divisions. Top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs. Pretty simple.
To me it's a clear sign as to expansion plans in Seattle/Portland/Vegas/KC.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:31 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
To me it's a clear sign as to expansion plans in Seattle/Portland/Vegas/KC.
I'll believe it when I see it. Vegas would be a huge mistake. Anyway, I thought QC was more likely.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:09 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it. Vegas would be a huge mistake. Anyway, I thought QC was more likely.
I think it makes more sense and is more "deserving," but according to some reports discussed on the Business board both Portland and Seattle are making moves.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
I think Vegas could handle it. Everybody there is from someplace else and a lot of them are hockey fans. They also do OK attendance wise in the ECHL.

I could see a lot of Canadians planning a trip to Vegas when their favorite club plays. Heck, I go almost every year and I'd definitely make a point of going when they played the Sabres.

Might be a weird vibe in the building though. More than half the building would be rooting for the visitors most nights.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:21 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I think it makes more sense and is more "deserving," but according to some reports discussed on the Business board both Portland and Seattle are making moves.
I could see Seattle. And it's so close to Vancouver, it could be a god rivalry. The Seattle metro area is also substantially bigger than the other cities you mention (close to 4 million, while the others hover closer to 2 million).

On the other hand, Seattle couldn't even keep their NBA team, and has previously lost a baseball team. Also, the Thunderbirds are one of the lowest drawing teams in the WHL (see http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2013) despite being the biggest, or one of the biggest, cities in the league.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
I think Vegas could handle it. Everybody there is from someplace else and a lot of them are hockey fans. They also do OK attendance wise in the ECHL.

I could see a lot of Canadians planning a trip to Vegas when their favorite club plays. Heck, I go almost every year and I'd definitely make a point of going when they played the Sabres.

Might be a weird vibe in the building though. More than half the building would be rooting for the visitors most nights.
In other words, it would be like a Kings game whenever they play an East-Coast team!

Old
07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
On the other hand, Seattle couldn't even keep their NBA team, and has previously lost a baseball team.
They're getting another NBA franchise within the next few years as an apology from the league, basically. It wasn't really the fan support but a financial mess that the league preyed on to grab a new market.

The rest I can't speak to.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
That really does suck.

I am happy that it may build more rivalries for the playoffs.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Bosswally

Quote:
I could see Seattle. And it's so close to Vancouver, it could be a god rivalry. The Seattle metro area is also substantially bigger than the other cities you mention (close to 4 million, while the others hover closer to 2 million).

On the other hand, Seattle couldn't even keep their NBA team, and has previously lost a baseball team. Also, the Thunderbirds are one of the lowest drawing teams in the WHL (see http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2013) despite being the biggest, or one of the biggest, cities in the league.
Bettman saw the rivalry in the Cascadia Cup in MLS and was impressed and wanted in on that rivalry, how I see it going down is QC and 1 of portland, Seattle with be expansion with the other saved for a relocation

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Someone explain to me why Florida even has a team? pack them up and ship them to Seattle. That franchise is a joke, have they ever had a sold out stadium? everytime Buffalo plays them it's empty.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:26 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Someone explain to me why Florida even has a team? pack them up and ship them to Seattle. That franchise is a joke, have they ever had a sold out stadium? everytime Buffalo plays them it's empty.
This past season the Panthers had a higher average paid attendance than Anaheim or Colorado. Should they lose their teams too?

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Moskau

Quote:
The bigger joke is supposedly being a Hockey fan and calling an arena a stadium.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:41 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What? My uncle has season tickets to them and had season tickets to the Sabres for years before he had to transfer for work. I went to two games last year down there while there team was in last place and the fans cheered louder than I've seen since 2010 in the First Niagara Center. They have some of the best fans in the league, they got the 6th man award just last year when they made the playoffs. Get informed before you post such inaccurate statements.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:53 AM
kjohnny

I think Detroit is very talented and probably going to be one of the top 2 or 3 teams from our division.... but I can't help but wonder if this change is goig to effect them more negatively than positively. I always viewed the Eastern conference as the physical side where the Western conference was more on the finesse side. Detroit transitioning to a physical conference during the regular season rather than a finesse conference could effect the standings a tad bit. Then again it could be a positive thing... I see the division playing out like this though.

1. Boston
2. Ottawa
3. Detroit
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Tampa
7. Buffalo
8. Florida

kjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:57 AM
kjohnny

and although I see this being a very dark year for our Sabres... I can't help but think this new format is a positive thing. We play WAY better vs our division than we do outside of it and with the new format there are a ton of division games as opposed to inner/outer conference games. This is a huge positive if we can think of any positives for us this year...

kjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote