HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere on with Melnick right now

Old
07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agreed. I don't give a crap about the optics of having a few short players, I just want stronger clearing around our net and more presence around theirs. We need functional size, not just size for its own sake.

As others said, Briere has some offensive upside -- I'll go with 18-22-40 this season -- and seems like a good guy, but his occasional scoring flare doesn't fill a need that's mostly already filled.
Isn't that what mostly everyone in here talking about 'size' wants for Montreal?

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
I don't expect anything really from him. This signing reeks of Scott Gomez luck to me ie injury, not being able to buy a goal etc...

Wasting a top 6 spot (top powerplay as well) on a guy like this when we could be developing a youngster. Why? Cause he can speak in another language for the press and to satisfy losing out on Vinny. If we were a taller team fine, but we have a lot of players in the 5 9' range. He isn't the same player anymore, if you watched any Flyers games you could see it.

It will be hard to cheer for him but I hope he proves me wrong.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
MSSLYNX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I was simply answering your post, I haven't followed any recent interviews that he might have given.

Philly could have re-signed him at a discount but didn't even though they are in need of firepower.
You are funny. I thought the problems were on def and in the nets. They must really suck if offense is also a problem. They added Lecavalier and Streit btw. Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier. Where do you play Danny? On the wing? Good luck with that.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:26 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
You are funny. I thought the problems were on def and in the nets. They must really suck if offense is also a problem. They added Lecavalier and Streit btw. Giroux, Lecavalier, Couturier. Where do you play Danny? On the wing? Good luck with that.
He's likely playing wing here, you know.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:33 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

I have the feeling his new teammates will like him

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And he wishes us good luck with that.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
30 goals?!

Have you seen him play? The soft minutes he's had?! His awful production in recent years?!

Christ, this fanbase is so starved for success they're willing to deceive themselves in the face of both logos and pathos.
dude, it's 2 years at a reasonable cap hit. Who else could they have picked up at that term and money? He is going to be an average player, maybe score a couple of big goals, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less. If the Habs make the playoffs the evidence suggests that Briere will be clutch. And then, in 2 years, he'll be gone. Meanwhile, that is 2 more years of development for the young players who will make up the core of the team. No biggie.

I really don't understand this personal hate of the guy. He signed with Philly because he thought they could win, and (posiibly more importantly) because of his family situation at that time. I think this has been conveniently ignored by some fans.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Kenny Powders

If I was Brière at the time he signed with Philly I wouldve done the same. The freaking moaning with every players is just annoying. Actually, I would have never signed here beeing a hockey player from here.

Don't ask yourself why Lecavalier & co don't sign here.. They use the financial aspect to hide the fact that they don't want to play in front of ****** fans.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
If I was Brière at the time he signed with Philly I wouldve done the same. The freaking moaning with every players is just annoying. Actually, I would have never signed here beeing a hockey player from here.

Don't ask yourself why Lecavalier & co don't sign here.. They use the financial aspect to hide the fact that they don't want to play in front of ****** fans.
They dont have the cojones thats all
Hal Gill said he loved the fans because its the only place he got cheered for cleaning the zone, he said habs fans know hockey and dont just notice spectacular plays

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
dude, it's 2 years at a reasonable cap hit. Who else could they have picked up at that term and money? He is going to be an average player, maybe score a couple of big goals, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less. If the Habs make the playoffs the evidence suggests that Briere will be clutch. And then, in 2 years, he'll be gone. Meanwhile, that is 2 more years of development for the young players who will make up the core of the team. No biggie.

I really don't understand this personal hate of the guy. He signed with Philly because he thought they could win, and (posiibly more importantly) because of his family situation at that time. I think this has been conveniently ignored by some fans.

It was a big issue back then, Briere said something along the line that he didn't want his kids to grow up in Montreal. Gainey offered more money reported $10 mil, but Briere chose Philly. Philly finished dead last before signing Briere so it wasn't about having a better team, Habs finished first I think. Briere had a superstar season with 95 points and was a UFA. Because of this Gainey went and trade Mcdonagh, Higgins for Gomez and the rest was history.

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
HABsurde

Quote:

you got that right, it's almost impossible to meet expectations for a francophone forward in Montreal, specially if your a young star reaching UFA status

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

People need to stop whining about past things.

This is a player who offers an upgrade and depth to our top 6. He offers great inner team competition and the opportunity to rid ourselves of players who continue to be underachievers.

Love the terms and the cap hit. Should be a great presence in the room.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Habcentric

Just so you know its posted in the tsn 690 podcasts section, im listening to it now.

Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Pricenyuk
Fear The Bridge Deal

vCash: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
you got that right, it's almost impossible to meet expectations for a francophone forward in Montreal, specially if your a young star reaching UFA status
I'm sure glad Galchenyuk isn't a hometown kid...

I know there's already a lot of pressure on him to be "the guy" in a few years, but imagine what the french media would be like if he were a home town kid.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I said potential 30 goal scorer. So you believe he isn't even a 20 goal scorer? 4 Million for a player that doesn't crack 20 goals will be a huge let down. (I am not counting it out, I am just trying to be optimistic)
He is not a 20 goals scorer in his last two years. He averages for 17 goals on a full 82 games.

The thing is, he doesn't really play 82 games anymore because of injuries. More like 65 games on average for the last two years. So that will be around 15 goals tops for Briere.

That's my expectation for him. Even lower if you account for the fact that he's not getting any younger. He could score just 10-12 goals and I would not be surprised at all.

Yep, 4M for a 36 years old 15 goals scorer.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Oh, I don't know.

Just bitterness I suppose.

I'm still kinda bitter about it, but then again I'm still pissed at Therrien for sending Lindsay out for that face-off back in 2002.

Ha ha. When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
He is not a 20 goals scorer in his last two years. He averages for 17 goals on a full 82 games.

The thing is, he doesn't really play 82 games anymore because of injuries. More like 65 games on average for the last two years. So that will be around 15 goals tops for Briere.

That's my expectation for him. Even lower if you account for the fact that he's not getting any younger. He could score just 10-12 goals and I would not be surprised at all.

Yep, 4M for a 36 years old 15 goals scorer.
In fact, taking his last two seasons into account, even ignoring the fact that last season was a disaster not only for Briere, but for all of this Flyers team offensively (minus Giroux, Simmonds and Schenn), Briere has a pace of 41 points per 70 games played, which amounts to roughly 48 points.

Knowing he'll be playing with guys such as Markov and Subban on the PP, that the Flyers' players had awful stats as a whole, which points to an anomaly, and that he actually gets to live his childhood dream of playing for a team that, once again, fits his style much better than the Flyers, all that while having something to prove, and knowing he played under 70 games in a season only THREE times in his career, I'd bet he is going to be at the very least a 50 points player for us.

Kass Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It won't last, almost garanteed. He was tried on the wing in Philly and that didn't work out, he will play center.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
AllanMTL46

Quote:

Francos with guts will come here. I can understand guys go elsewhere if offered a better contract, but guys that really have the guts deep down to do something in hockey, to have a real impact, will come to the greatest hockey market in the world and face the tough media. Guys that don't and could, lose a lot of respect in my mind. But that's just my opinion, and I'm not changing it.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He also hucked Price's first shutout puck into the crowd after a game. (Price doesn't give a crap though)

He really was a dirtbag when playing against us, but he's ours now.

I'm still fairly ambivalent about it.
Honestly it sucked when done against us, but had he done it while playing for us I would have had a chuckle. It's what emotional players do, they come up big time during important games, and they act like *******s against rivals. I mean, look at PK...

Nothing wrong about that, but it leaves bad memories for sure. Won't take much to make us forget about this stuff though...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Isn't that what mostly everyone in here talking about 'size' wants for Montreal?
There are plenty of people in here who think of size in terms of fighting. Their comments about size seem to revolve around those two stupid games against the Leafs and game-three against the Sens. Personally, I don't give a crap about fighting and what goes on after the whistle. For me, the only reason to get bigger guys is to improve our game and win more.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Habitants

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=22

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
Its a freaking country song for like a minute ..

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:40 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Its a freaking country song for like a minute ..
Yep, Melnick is ****ing annoying.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I have the feeling his new teammates will like him
Well, he better hope Plekanec doesn't hold grudges.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote