HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
Maybe they got sick of your "pest" shtick.
haha. I wasn't even on the ice. It was because the big guy on our team has a target on his back and everyone seems to push him, slash him or goon on him so they can turtle and run away when he skates at them. Nothing to do with me. I guess the refs thought there could have been a fight. So what, there wasn't! Just call penalties and that's that.

Also the pest thing is funny because people should obviously be up a level and they are playing so hard against guys they know they are way better than.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
TMLOBI

Refs not understanding how penalties work. You get four minutes for slashing that is in the rules. Guy on our team takes a slashing penalty other guy gets a roughing call on the other team(2 mins). Ref in their warped point of view decide that two players from our team should go to the box and the other team should have a power play right away. Really? Then of course when the extra guy gets out of the box it is 5 on 5 and then the guy who took the slashing call gets to stay in the box for another 4 minutes!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Refs not understanding how penalties work. You get four minutes for slashing that is in the rules. Guy on our team takes a slashing penalty other guy gets a roughing call on the other team(2 mins). Ref in their warped point of view decide that two players from our team should go to the box and the other team should have a power play right away. Really? Then of course when the extra guy gets out of the box it is 5 on 5 and then the guy who took the slashing call gets to stay in the box for another 4 minutes!
Slashing is 4 mins in your league?

Possible the ref considered it to be coincidental penalties, which is why the extra 2 mins would put another player from your team in the box.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Showed up at 7:30 for a game at 8:20, only to find out that the game was moved back to 8:50. League never sent an e-mail or gave anyone a heads up...coulda been watchin the 1st of the chicago/boston game.
Could have been worse.

We had a game before us last year where their game started almost half an hour late because they were waiting for players to fill a lineup. Long story short, our 11:50 game didnt start until almost 12:30 and didn't end until almost 1:45. Got home at about 2:15 and was asleep at around 3 AM.

Did I mention the part where I had to be at work at 6 AM?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:53 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Why do upper-league players crash lower-league games?

Seriously. That ruins the game. Go away.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:20 AM
stocky

Why do guys wear yellow to pickup games. Seriously, how hard is it to own black, and white jerseys?

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Why do guys wear yellow to pickup games. Seriously, how hard is it to own black, and white jerseys?
You know what pisses me off? Grey jerseys. Seriously. Why do you bring a grey jersey to a scrimmage? Is it dark or light? And then having everyone have to remember if it's dark or light is another thing. Just get an effing black and white jersey and put them in the bag. Jerseys are $12 for those cheap ones, for god's sake. Ridiculous.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Jisatsu

Quote:
2 reasons.

1. black and white jerseys are boring.

2. To annoy guys who don't like yellow or green jerseys.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
You know what pisses me off? Grey jerseys. Seriously. Why do you bring a grey jersey to a scrimmage? Is it dark or light? And then having everyone have to remember if it's dark or light is another thing. Just get an effing black and white jersey and put them in the bag. Jerseys are $12 for those cheap ones, for god's sake. Ridiculous.
On the other hand, the guy with the grey jersey is often the reason you end up with equal numbers on each team.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:34 AM
McDugan

keeping track of which colors are "dark" and which are "light" drives me nuts. I wish the rink had a bunch of these in a single uncommon color like green: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-scrimmage-vest.html. If they're bought in bulk, they're much cheaper than these are. Sometimes I'm tempted to just buy like 20 and carry them in my bag.

The it could just be the greens against everyone else.

Last edited by McDugan: 07-05-2013 at 08:40 AM.
McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

At the University of Colorado, we used to do scrimmages with black and gold on one team, and red and white on the other team.

You know, because black and gold go together.

It drove the goalies nuts (not that we were far from the finish line).

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Not Threadworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Slashing is 4 mins in your league?

Possible the ref considered it to be coincidental penalties, which is why the extra 2 mins would put another player from your team in the box.
In our league a stick infraction is 3 minutes, and you stay in the box the whole 3 minutes, although if there's a pp goal, the penalized team gets to put the 5th player back on.

Not Threadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Not Threadworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Could have been worse.

We had a game before us last year where their game started almost half an hour late because they were waiting for players to fill a lineup. Long story short, our 11:50 game didnt start until almost 12:30 and didn't end until almost 1:45. Got home at about 2:15 and was asleep at around 3 AM.

Did I mention the part where I had to be at work at 6 AM?
Seriously? You have 3 players and a goalie, and you can play.

Not Threadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
I have probably 20 different jerseys from playing over the past several years. I should probably just throw them out but they vary in color, blues, greens, purples, blacks, yellows, silvers, etc. I am still yet to actually get a white jersey. I know they're cheap, but I'm not going to go buy a white jersey when I already have like 20 in different colors hanging in my closet.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:13 AM
McHopelessoilfan

I've only played organized (If you wanna call a beer league that) hockey for 1 year now, but i can feel myself steadily improving skating wise, but my shot seems to be way less effective than it was when i started playing.

I'm 22 and have been playing at the odr since i was 17. My wrist shot has always been pretty heavy and accurate, but lately its like somethings changed and i can't aim it or get the juice on it i once could.

I'm using a different stick, but the same curve, its lighter, and a tiny bit shorter, but even with my old stick my shot seems to have changed.

Its frustrating when i used to be able to pick corners in the slot, and now every shot seems to go into the goalies chest.

Its like the more my skating and positional play improves, the less effective my shot becomes.

McHopelessoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
leftwinger37

Seriously guys, is it that hard to differentiate who is on which side? Where I play pick-up we just play light jerseys vs. dark jerseys. Thinking about our skate last night, we had a guy wearing grey, one wearing yellow, and couple wearing royal blue. Ideally, it would be nice if everybody had black and white, but is it really that big of a deal? I my opinion it's more important to have bodies there than to have everybody in black and white jerseys.

Personally, I think it's way more annoying during league games when two teams are playing against each other and have similar colors (i.e. red vs. maroon, navy vs. black, etc.) because most beer league teams (at least where I play) don't purchase two sets of jerseys.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:58 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
Seriously guys, is it that hard to differentiate who is on which side? Where I play pick-up we just play light jerseys vs. dark jerseys.
That's all well and good until you end up with the guy wearing a red jersey on the light team and the guys wearing orange jerseys (Flyers country here) on the dark team.

And half the time the idiot in grey is on one side, and the other half of the time he's on the other side.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
TieClark

So 2 games in a row now I've seen absolutely terrible reffing in the ASHL. Absolutely terrible... I've played for I guess 16 years now or so (21 years old) and I can't recall reffing this bad. 1st night was with the blatant dives (again worst I've ever seen) being called as penalties against us and now last night we had the refs not know the rules. I got into an argument with one because he tried to tell us a 4 minute and a 2 minute is offsetting so he puts 2 for each on the scoreboard but our guy can't come out until 4 minute and a whistle.... he then got offended when I said he clearly doesn't know the rules and said I better shut up while doing his best to not lose his head... ridiculous.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Missing games to injury. 2 weeks down, hopefully only 4 weeks to go. At least the NHL season is over so it makes it easier to think about other things.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
vinc90

Not really a beer league frustration but a puck shoot frustration. As a goalie who is just starting out i would like to ask player to take more actual shots. It might be fun for you but rapid fire breakaways with you trying to deke me out of my pants every shot is not so much fun for the goalie. Its not really the practice i want and its quite tiring. Also i dont like taking pucks to the back of the head so stop taking shots at me if im fishing the pucks out of the next.

vinc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

I've never understood why so many players are chippy in Adult leagues. Obviously, there are a ton of competitive top level leagues (Aged out Jr players/where I'll be until I finish up Jr. College ) to compete in for the ringers. I'll never understood some people's attitude in the lower level leagues who go out of there way to ruin the fun.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I have probably 20 different jerseys from playing over the past several years. I should probably just throw them out but they vary in color, blues, greens, purples, blacks, yellows, silvers, etc. I am still yet to actually get a white jersey. I know they're cheap, but I'm not going to go buy a white jersey when I already have like 20 in different colors hanging in my closet.
It's funny because when I started playing hockey and started acquiring jersey's from various sources: road hockey tourney, power skating classes, league intro course, and 1st beer league team, what I got was: red, red, red, and red. So sorry guys at the drop in but if I showed up I was wearing red

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
It's funny because when I started playing hockey and started acquiring jersey's from various sources: road hockey tourney, power skating classes, league intro course, and 1st beer league team, what I got was: red, red, red, and red. So sorry guys at the drop in but if I showed up I was wearing red
Heh, I remember like 3 of the my first 4 seasons ever playing I got a different number green jersey.

But to add something new to the topic, can't stand all these cry babies that take everything way too seriously. They get away with a hook in our end and everyone's quiet, even my team. We trip up a guy in the offensive zone, they scream that the ref is blind. The worst part of all the whining was when we had two forwards at the blue line, puck carrier on the left side and another winger on the right side. Their player is directly in between the two teammates of mine at the blue line. He's screaming for an offside. There is no legitimate way he could know the play was offside when everything in his field of vision was onside. I made fun of him pointing out he had his back to the play and he chirps at me like I'm an idiot. I was dying laughing right in his face, but then I felt sad. It saddens me that there are people alive in our society that can possibly be that dumb.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:24 PM
pucko

bring your own water goddamit!

pucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkinman139 View Post
It absolutely makes sense. I understand that sometimes I do embarrass people. That being said, it's not like I'll just go out there, make everyone look stupid, and whine about the small contact or holds and stuff like that. That particular situation stuck out to me though because he had been throwing elbows at me all game. I consciously decided to embarrass him because of that. He crossed some lines with me, so I crossed a line with him. Probably not the smartest thing to do in retrospect...
I gotta ask, does that team play in Aston?

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote