HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Jet Walters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think I'd like to see the top 6 a little different then everyone else has been posting. I'd like to see our top 6 looking like:

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/Gagner/Eberle

I wouldn't be surprised if RNH puts up 60 assists on a line with Yak and Hall.
So 3 left handed shots on line one and 3 right handed shots on line 2?

Jet Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

My rating is pending on the Oilers' performance on the ice in 2013/2014.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
You base ratings on results? You crazy.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

hemsky deserves to win the cup with the kids, plus unloading him might prove difficult..

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
yup and /end thread.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
hemsky deserves to win the cup with the kids, plus unloading him might prove difficult..
Unless the Oilers win the cup next season then that will not happen. Even if the Oilers win the cup next season it probably won't happen.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
One thing most people should agree on (and most here do.....I believe), is that so far MacT, in his short stint so far, has out managed 3 years worth of Mr. Dithers.

It's nice to see a smart dude with a good hockey mind and years of NHL experience as a player, captain, coach, and now GM, ply his trade with this team.

It's quite different, I must say.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
yup and /end thread.
Really has nothing to do with the thread.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
I disagree on the Penner trade, as I think that Klefbom is a decent return on Penner imo. The Oilers don't need veteran players in the line up who don't compete on a nightly basis. Penner is merely a luxury for teams with enough talent to get into the playoffs without him busting his hump during the regular season. The Oilers are not that team.
When we offer sheet Penner, the compensation ended up being Tyler Myers (could also have been Karlsson) and Justin Schultz

hehe

Not that it's set in stone that we might have drafted the same, but still.. funny how that worked out.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
JAY Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well Tambo did sit on his ass and collected basically every player that's worth anything on this team over the last few years... so there's that.
Probably why Lowe stepped down as GM in the first place, they knew they were tanking at that point. But anyways, I meant stuff like not address the need for a centre until the deadline.

JAY Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
MacT just said he's reasonably comfortable with the lineup and the depth.

"I'm ready to turn this group over to the coaches, I'm reasonably optimistic that this team will improve"

That is crazy. While every transaction MacT has completed can be seen as favourable, the sum total is slight improvement.

While the Perron trade was great, he's a lot like the other players in our top six. Last season the problem in our top 6 wasn't lack of skill, it was possession and SOG. MacT didn't really address the problem through a vacant LW spot or apparently Gagner's place as 2C; it's still a homogeneous top 6.

While the Gordon signing was great, last year this team's most glaring weakness was center ice depth and we aren't really deeper. We swapped Gordon for Horcoff; and Lander for Belanger; and Acton for Smithson. Upgrades yes, but our depth down the middle is arguably worse. A young and inexperienced team gets younger and less experienced down the middle.

Our D is the only area that has improved, on paper, with the addition of Ference and Larsen at the expense of Fistric. We've added three pieces and finally have some depth. It's not all that good yet, but we can at least handle some injuries.

You can think: 'boo-hoo, that's negative,' but the line-up will be marginally better at this point. MacT is really putting a lot of faith in players like Joensuu and Lander, and Hemsky with Gordon on the third line is a joke.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Yes but will he play in Edmonton for another nine years?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:31 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Lets recap what hes done since being hired. If I missed something quote it and fix it.

Thus far hes done OK I think. Got rid of some junk and added real NHLers. If he can still add a top 4 D and a top 9 center he will have done very well.

April 15 MacT takes over as GM

May 30 Signs Belov

June 8 Fires Krueger

June 10 Hires Eakins

June 14 Resigns Arcobello

June 30 Drafts Nurse

July 2 Drops Whitney, Peckham, Teubert, Plante, Khabibulin, Belanger, Smithson

July 4 Trades Horcoff for Larsen+7th

July 5 Signs Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu, Acton, Hamilton

July 6 Signs Bachman. Trades Bigos for Moffie. Resigns Jones.

July 7 Signs Hunt

July 10 Trades Paajarvi+2nd for Perron

Last edited by TheBusDriver: 07-15-2013 at 03:40 AM.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Soundwave

One thing I do like about our roster is the future cap flexibility looks quite good, especially as the cap begins to grow again.

We don't have any ridiculously bad contracts any more outside of maybe having to buy-out that 4th year of Ference's deal down the line.

If we do retain Hemsky + N. Schultz, that's two large expiring contracts that bring in a ton of cap room next summer.

And Perron is on a decent contract too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
While the Perron trade was great, he's a lot like the other players in our top six. Last season the problem in our top 6 wasn't lack of skill, it was possession and SOG. MacT didn't really address the problem through a vacant LW spot or apparently Gagner's place as 2C; it's still a homogeneous top 6.
The Hall-RNH-Eberle line had fantastic possession numbers. They didn't take enough shots, which they recognized as an issue, but that could be a byproduct of them not cashing in on enough gilt-edged chances early on last season leading to shot hesitation.

If Perron is as good at driving possession as the numbers suggest he is, then a second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov should be able to have good possession numbers as well after they get used to playing with each other. Perron is great at holding on to the puck and is quite willing to shoot, and I can see a sophomore Yakupov releasing the puck a lot more frequently.

I'm more interested to see how Eakins' systems will affect the team. How the team sets up on the forecheck, collapses in the neutral zone and positions themselves in the defensize zone is crucial for puck possession. Are we going to take an aggressive across all zones approach like Chicago? Will we actually have a real breakout strategy?

I'm hoping that our improved defensive corps where each pairing has at least one capable puckmover will allow us to retain possession better.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
The Hall-RNH-Eberle line had fantastic possession numbers. They didn't take enough shots, which they recognized as an issue, but that could be a byproduct of them not cashing in on enough gilt-edged chances early on last season leading to shot hesitation.

If Perron is as good at driving possession as the numbers suggest he is, then a second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov should be able to have good possession numbers as well after they get used to playing with each other. Perron is great at holding on to the puck and is quite willing to shoot, and I can see a sophomore Yakupov releasing the puck a lot more frequently.

That's a fair point; I really do like Perron. He goes to the front of of the net and is always dangerous. My concern is he has a bit of Hemsky-itis. We already have a lot of players that try to do too much with the puck. While the top line played a lot of keep-away in the offensive zone, they didn't score because nobody was crashing the net imo

I agree that the second line should improve possession and a consistent breakout could as well, but I think the lines will be:

Hall-Gagner-Yak
Perron-Rnh-Ebs

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
KClovesGaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Lets recap what hes done since being hired. If I missed something quote it and fix it.

Thus far hes done OK I think. Got rid of some junk and added real NHLers. If he can still add a top 4 D and a top 9 center he will have done very well.

April 15 MacT takes over as GM

May 30 Signs Belov

June 8 Fires Krueger

June 10 Hires Eakins

June 14 Resigns Arcobello

June 30 Drafts Nurse

July 2 Drops Whitney, Peckham, Teubert, Plante, Khabibulin, Belanger, Smithson

July 4 Trades Horcoff for Larsen+7th

July 5 Signs Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu, Acton, Hamilton

July 6 Signs Bachman. Trades Bigos for Moffie. Resigns Jones.

July 7 Signs Hunt

July 10 Trades Paajarvi+2nd for Perron
He's admitted he's been disappointed in some deals he hasn't been able to make yet. So I don't think he's done yet. The team is still very small up front, but what can you do? There aren't a lot of huge, talented top 6 forwards out there, but at least he recognizes the weaknesses and at least he got a top 6 forward. Now, if only we could inject the kid line with something to mutate them and make them bigger, similar to the movie Space Jam! lol. They will be beasts when they get older, but right now, it's tough for them and the team will still get hemmed in their own zone often.

Whether you love or hate the moves MacT has done, the one thing we can all agree on is at least he's trying something, anything! He's making some bold moves which is more than we could ever say about Tamby. In 3 short months, he's already done more than Tamby did in his entire tenure.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Whether you love or hate the moves MacT has done, the one thing we can all agree on is at least he's trying something, anything! He's making some bold moves which is more than we could ever say about Tamby. In 3 short months, he's already done more than Tamby did in his entire tenure.
Not really. The only move that looks different is the Perron for Paajarvi swap everything else looks pretty similar. I dont like that it looks like he's content with the lineup as it stands. Hate our forward depth especially at center. Maybe he's waiting on the RFA signings and teams in a cap crunch to get desperate but if he goes in to the season with what we have now I dont think he's achieved much. Still showing the same problems Tambo left us with.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:07 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

F for talking bold. shut your mouth and just get the job done.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:17 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

And he didn't get anything done...?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Delicious Pancakes

I'd like to see MacT invite some UFAs who could fit into the bottom-6 to training camp. The way UFA signings have dried up and given the number of experienced players out there he should be able to find a couple guys to come to camp without making a commitment until they prove that they're a good fit in camp. If he's waiting for this or waiting for players to soften on contract demands and that's why he's content with the current roster I like his strategy. If not, I think he's overestimating the current personnel and hasn't taken injuries into consideration enough.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wonder what Mac truly thinks of his roster at this point. Find it unsurprising he is saying he's mostly satisfied, because there has to be some consideration of his not throwing his current roster under the bus.

I think he is finding he needs to be political as GM.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Signing Ference, Lababera, Gordon, and trading for Perron is nothing?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

After all the complaining that was done around here about Tambo being tight lipped and never doing anything, this is what its come to.

Some people are just going to be unhappy with everything I guess. MacT has arguably done more in two months than Tambo did in 5 years. And we're going to crucify him for him being upfront to the fans and media for saying he wanted to make some bold changes? It's not like he's been quiet, he or Howson was harassing Holmgren all draft day, he's trying to get **** done.

I'm happy with MacT so far, not at all what I was expecting from him as a GM.

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
After all the complaining that was done around here about Tambo being tight lipped and never doing anything, this is what its come to.

Some people are just going to be unhappy with everything I guess. MacT has arguably done more in two months than Tambo did in 5 years. And we're going to crucify him for him being upfront to the fans and media for saying he wanted to make some bold changes? It's not like he's been quiet, he or Howson was harassing Holmgren all draft day, he's trying to get **** done.

I'm happy with MacT so far, not at all what I was expecting from him as a GM.
I dont think most people complained about Tambo being tight lipped more that he didnt accomplish anything. If my GM never says a word I dont give a damn. You cant talk me into believing you are doing a good job, they only way to do that is to prove it.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote