HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM
  #576
Jet Walters
Registered User
 
Jet Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I think I'd like to see the top 6 a little different then everyone else has been posting. I'd like to see our top 6 looking like:

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/Gagner/Eberle

I wouldn't be surprised if RNH puts up 60 assists on a line with Yak and Hall.
So 3 left handed shots on line one and 3 right handed shots on line 2?

Jet Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:56 PM
  #577
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
My rating is pending on the Oilers' performance on the ice in 2013/2014.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
  #578
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,052
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
My rating is pending on the Oilers' performance on the ice in 2013/2014.
You base ratings on results? You crazy.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
  #579
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
hemsky deserves to win the cup with the kids, plus unloading him might prove difficult..

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
  #580
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
My rating is pending on the Oilers' performance on the ice in 2013/2014.
yup and /end thread.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
  #581
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
hemsky deserves to win the cup with the kids, plus unloading him might prove difficult..
Unless the Oilers win the cup next season then that will not happen. Even if the Oilers win the cup next season it probably won't happen.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:16 PM
  #582
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 50
One thing most people should agree on (and most here do.....I believe), is that so far MacT, in his short stint so far, has out managed 3 years worth of Mr. Dithers.

It's nice to see a smart dude with a good hockey mind and years of NHL experience as a player, captain, coach, and now GM, ply his trade with this team.

It's quite different, I must say.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
  #583
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,183
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
yup and /end thread.
Really has nothing to do with the thread.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:05 PM
  #584
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
I disagree on the Penner trade, as I think that Klefbom is a decent return on Penner imo. The Oilers don't need veteran players in the line up who don't compete on a nightly basis. Penner is merely a luxury for teams with enough talent to get into the playoffs without him busting his hump during the regular season. The Oilers are not that team.
When we offer sheet Penner, the compensation ended up being Tyler Myers (could also have been Karlsson) and Justin Schultz

hehe

Not that it's set in stone that we might have drafted the same, but still.. funny how that worked out.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
  #585
JAY Z
Registered User
 
JAY Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well Tambo did sit on his ass and collected basically every player that's worth anything on this team over the last few years... so there's that.
Probably why Lowe stepped down as GM in the first place, they knew they were tanking at that point. But anyways, I meant stuff like not address the need for a centre until the deadline.

JAY Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
  #586
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
MacT just said he's reasonably comfortable with the lineup and the depth.



"I'm ready to turn this group over to the coaches, I'm reasonably optimistic that this team will improve"


That is crazy. While every transaction MacT has completed can be seen as favourable, the sum total is slight improvement.


While the Perron trade was great, he's a lot like the other players in our top six. Last season the problem in our top 6 wasn't lack of skill, it was possession and SOG. MacT didn't really address the problem through a vacant LW spot or apparently Gagner's place as 2C; it's still a homogeneous top 6.

While the Gordon signing was great, last year this team's most glaring weakness was center ice depth and we aren't really deeper. We swapped Gordon for Horcoff; and Lander for Belanger; and Acton for Smithson. Upgrades yes, but our depth down the middle is arguably worse. A young and inexperienced team gets younger and less experienced down the middle.

Our D is the only area that has improved, on paper, with the addition of Ference and Larsen at the expense of Fistric. We've added three pieces and finally have some depth. It's not all that good yet, but we can at least handle some injuries.


You can think: 'boo-hoo, that's negative,' but the line-up will be marginally better at this point. MacT is really putting a lot of faith in players like Joensuu and Lander, and Hemsky with Gordon on the third line is a joke.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:12 AM
  #587
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
hemsky deserves to win the cup with the kids, plus unloading him might prove difficult..
Yes but will he play in Edmonton for another nine years?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:31 AM
  #588
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Lets recap what hes done since being hired. If I missed something quote it and fix it.

Thus far hes done OK I think. Got rid of some junk and added real NHLers. If he can still add a top 4 D and a top 9 center he will have done very well.



April 15 MacT takes over as GM

May 30 Signs Belov

June 8 Fires Krueger

June 10 Hires Eakins

June 14 Resigns Arcobello

June 30 Drafts Nurse

July 2 Drops Whitney, Peckham, Teubert, Plante, Khabibulin, Belanger, Smithson

July 4 Trades Horcoff for Larsen+7th

July 5 Signs Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu, Acton, Hamilton

July 6 Signs Bachman. Trades Bigos for Moffie. Resigns Jones.

July 7 Signs Hunt

July 10 Trades Paajarvi+2nd for Perron


Last edited by TheBusDriver: 07-15-2013 at 03:40 AM.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:02 AM
  #589
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,096
vCash: 500
One thing I do like about our roster is the future cap flexibility looks quite good, especially as the cap begins to grow again.

We don't have any ridiculously bad contracts any more outside of maybe having to buy-out that 4th year of Ference's deal down the line.

If we do retain Hemsky + N. Schultz, that's two large expiring contracts that bring in a ton of cap room next summer.

And Perron is on a decent contract too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  #590
Panda Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
While the Perron trade was great, he's a lot like the other players in our top six. Last season the problem in our top 6 wasn't lack of skill, it was possession and SOG. MacT didn't really address the problem through a vacant LW spot or apparently Gagner's place as 2C; it's still a homogeneous top 6.
The Hall-RNH-Eberle line had fantastic possession numbers. They didn't take enough shots, which they recognized as an issue, but that could be a byproduct of them not cashing in on enough gilt-edged chances early on last season leading to shot hesitation.

If Perron is as good at driving possession as the numbers suggest he is, then a second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov should be able to have good possession numbers as well after they get used to playing with each other. Perron is great at holding on to the puck and is quite willing to shoot, and I can see a sophomore Yakupov releasing the puck a lot more frequently.

I'm more interested to see how Eakins' systems will affect the team. How the team sets up on the forecheck, collapses in the neutral zone and positions themselves in the defensize zone is crucial for puck possession. Are we going to take an aggressive across all zones approach like Chicago? Will we actually have a real breakout strategy?

I'm hoping that our improved defensive corps where each pairing has at least one capable puckmover will allow us to retain possession better.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:44 AM
  #591
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
The Hall-RNH-Eberle line had fantastic possession numbers. They didn't take enough shots, which they recognized as an issue, but that could be a byproduct of them not cashing in on enough gilt-edged chances early on last season leading to shot hesitation.

If Perron is as good at driving possession as the numbers suggest he is, then a second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov should be able to have good possession numbers as well after they get used to playing with each other. Perron is great at holding on to the puck and is quite willing to shoot, and I can see a sophomore Yakupov releasing the puck a lot more frequently.

That's a fair point; I really do like Perron. He goes to the front of of the net and is always dangerous. My concern is he has a bit of Hemsky-itis. We already have a lot of players that try to do too much with the puck. While the top line played a lot of keep-away in the offensive zone, they didn't score because nobody was crashing the net imo

I agree that the second line should improve possession and a consistent breakout could as well, but I think the lines will be:

Hall-Gagner-Yak
Perron-Rnh-Ebs

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
  #592
KClovesGaming
Registered User
 
KClovesGaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Lets recap what hes done since being hired. If I missed something quote it and fix it.

Thus far hes done OK I think. Got rid of some junk and added real NHLers. If he can still add a top 4 D and a top 9 center he will have done very well.



April 15 MacT takes over as GM

May 30 Signs Belov

June 8 Fires Krueger

June 10 Hires Eakins

June 14 Resigns Arcobello

June 30 Drafts Nurse

July 2 Drops Whitney, Peckham, Teubert, Plante, Khabibulin, Belanger, Smithson

July 4 Trades Horcoff for Larsen+7th

July 5 Signs Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu, Acton, Hamilton

July 6 Signs Bachman. Trades Bigos for Moffie. Resigns Jones.

July 7 Signs Hunt

July 10 Trades Paajarvi+2nd for Perron
He's admitted he's been disappointed in some deals he hasn't been able to make yet. So I don't think he's done yet. The team is still very small up front, but what can you do? There aren't a lot of huge, talented top 6 forwards out there, but at least he recognizes the weaknesses and at least he got a top 6 forward. Now, if only we could inject the kid line with something to mutate them and make them bigger, similar to the movie Space Jam! lol. They will be beasts when they get older, but right now, it's tough for them and the team will still get hemmed in their own zone often.

Whether you love or hate the moves MacT has done, the one thing we can all agree on is at least he's trying something, anything! He's making some bold moves which is more than we could ever say about Tamby. In 3 short months, he's already done more than Tamby did in his entire tenure.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:02 PM
  #593
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Whether you love or hate the moves MacT has done, the one thing we can all agree on is at least he's trying something, anything! He's making some bold moves which is more than we could ever say about Tamby. In 3 short months, he's already done more than Tamby did in his entire tenure.
Not really. The only move that looks different is the Perron for Paajarvi swap everything else looks pretty similar. I dont like that it looks like he's content with the lineup as it stands. Hate our forward depth especially at center. Maybe he's waiting on the RFA signings and teams in a cap crunch to get desperate but if he goes in to the season with what we have now I dont think he's achieved much. Still showing the same problems Tambo left us with.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:07 PM
  #594
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,671
vCash: 872
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

F for talking bold. shut your mouth and just get the job done.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:17 PM
  #595
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

F for talking bold. shut your mouth and just get the job done.
And he didn't get anything done...?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
  #596
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
I'd like to see MacT invite some UFAs who could fit into the bottom-6 to training camp. The way UFA signings have dried up and given the number of experienced players out there he should be able to find a couple guys to come to camp without making a commitment until they prove that they're a good fit in camp. If he's waiting for this or waiting for players to soften on contract demands and that's why he's content with the current roster I like his strategy. If not, I think he's overestimating the current personnel and hasn't taken injuries into consideration enough.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
  #597
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
I wonder what Mac truly thinks of his roster at this point. Find it unsurprising he is saying he's mostly satisfied, because there has to be some consideration of his not throwing his current roster under the bus.

I think he is finding he needs to be political as GM.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:49 PM
  #598
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

F for talking bold. shut your mouth and just get the job done.
Signing Ference, Lababera, Gordon, and trading for Perron is nothing?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
  #599
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if there is no improvement in the standings or pushing for a playoff spot = fail, as in F.

we've known the holes on this team for multiple seasons. they've been either filled with subpar mud or have let "good canadian boys" have roles they can't handle.

F for talking bold. shut your mouth and just get the job done.
After all the complaining that was done around here about Tambo being tight lipped and never doing anything, this is what its come to.

Some people are just going to be unhappy with everything I guess. MacT has arguably done more in two months than Tambo did in 5 years. And we're going to crucify him for him being upfront to the fans and media for saying he wanted to make some bold changes? It's not like he's been quiet, he or Howson was harassing Holmgren all draft day, he's trying to get **** done.

I'm happy with MacT so far, not at all what I was expecting from him as a GM.

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
  #600
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
After all the complaining that was done around here about Tambo being tight lipped and never doing anything, this is what its come to.

Some people are just going to be unhappy with everything I guess. MacT has arguably done more in two months than Tambo did in 5 years. And we're going to crucify him for him being upfront to the fans and media for saying he wanted to make some bold changes? It's not like he's been quiet, he or Howson was harassing Holmgren all draft day, he's trying to get **** done.

I'm happy with MacT so far, not at all what I was expecting from him as a GM.
I dont think most people complained about Tambo being tight lipped more that he didnt accomplish anything. If my GM never says a word I dont give a damn. You cant talk me into believing you are doing a good job, they only way to do that is to prove it.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.