HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I don't struggle with mental illness or depression but I know people that do and that's a pretty insensitive way of looking at it.
In respect to the expectations of pro sports and manning up and being ready and willing to play through injury and adversity its a pretty accurate view.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:59 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
I don't struggle with mental illness or depression but I know people that do and that's a pretty insensitive way of looking at it.
I'd never wish for anybody to get sick, but if he can't function because of something like that I don't see a team giving him a shot, say he breaks up with his girl and he needs some time off right in the middle of the playoffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
That Brule is even disclosing all this publicly to the media has me scratching my head at his judgement.

I don't suspect that this is at all in his best interests. Plus that his disclosure reveals some pretty obvious frailty on his part. Not exactly somebody that you're going to offer a multimillion buck contract to.
Sure as heck not someone I would sign, I hate to say it this story may have seriously hurt his chances of getting a serious NHL offer

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-17-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
He missed games because he got in a fight with his dad? That's just insane, if that's what it takes for a guy to get so depressed he can't suit up then nobody is giving him a contract, telling the media about his situation will not help him imo.
A lot of times talking about the issue is a very good sign.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:09 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Exactly. Depression must be one of the most misunderstood illnesses out there. It's funny that Brule would say that he wouldn't want to take drugs for it, but for some people, it's the only thing that helps. Usually it's a combination of counseling/therapy and medication.

For some people, just getting enough exercise, sleep and eating better will "cure" the symptoms of depression, but obviously the exercise component wasn't working for Brule.

I think it's actually (1) courageous of him to admit this, in professional sports, as Replacement said, and (2) I think it gives teams some idea that if he's dealing with the problem, he might be able to resurrect his career (i.e., it's not that he wasn't interested in hockey or unwilling to put in the effort).

Edit: @aleshemsky83: depression isn't feeling sad all the time - it's the lower threshold for feeling helpless - so something like a broken relationship could keep him sitting in bed, while the rest of us would be hungover and irritable at work.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:27 PM
aleshemsky83

When did I ever say that it was feeling sad, as I said, I realize it's a serious illness and my dad also struggled with it, but for him to get set off by an argument with his dad and not even be able to do his job?

I realize that we're in a politically correct world but we've all gone to work so sick that our head felt like it was going to explode or our bones felt like they were on fire, this guy missed work because he got into an argument with his dad. There are a few things I could understand triggering depression, a family member getting sick, losing his house, not being able to pay the bills, his dog getting old,

Him getting in an argument with his dad? Wtf?

Old
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

Him getting in an argument with his dad? Wtf?
You might want to read up on depression a little bit there bud because you apparently don't get it.

Or actually just read up on the Brule's father part because it wasn't just some kid refusing to do his laundry, it was his own father completely destroying his trust and stealing millions of dollars from him plus multiple other things that went wrong with that relationship.

Last edited by T-Funk: 07-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
You might want to read up on depression a little bit there bud because you apparently don't get it.
Are you saying that it's not from an argument he got in with
his dad or are you saying that it's way too debilitating to play through , little clarification would help

I did read the article, I know what he said his dad did and he makes it clear he's just fine financially, he still had a bunch of money left on his deal, nothing he should have been financially physically or emotionally crippled by,

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Or actually just read up on the Brule's father part because it wasn't just some kid refusing to do his laundry, it was his own father completely destroying his trust and stealing millions of dollars from him plus multiple other things that went wrong with that relationship.
With all due respect you are deferring entirely to Brules commentary in what is not an agreed statement of facts. That is your first erroneous assumption in this.

Next, you somehow conclude Brules father "completely destroying his trust" which reads about as dramatic as Brules expressed opinion in the article.

You then again assume with "stealing millions of dollars" which again is entirely unsubstantiated, is not at all an agreed statement of facts, and is only the stated opinion of an individual with a known mental health disorder.

So some weird assumptions above.

In anycase why would somebody intrust millions of bucks to another person, any person, and continue to do that when "trust was destroyed"?

I'll state as well that for most developmentally normal male adults "father knows best" starts dissipating as a notion as one enters adolescence if not before that. Indeed a hallmark of healthy adult individuality and normal development involves independent coping and not being "destroyed" by somebodies opinion or action.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Are you saying that it's not from an argument he got in with
his dad or are you saying that it's way too debilitating to play through , little clarification would help

I did read the article, I know what he said his dad did and he makes it clear he's just fine financially, he still had a bunch of money left on his deal, nothing he should have been financially physically or emotionally crippled by,
You make it sound as though his Dad told him he couldn't go to a concert, and so he went into a depression that ruined his career. Which, by the way, can and does put people with depression over the age in extreme cases. His father, who he trusted, stole his hard-earned money, stalked him, tried to blackmail him, and generally made his life miserable. His father also was the reason some teams did not sign Brule. PLUS he was put on antidepressants (kind of hastily) that in some cases make the problem worse.

So I would think emotionally the whole situation is similar to going through a complicated divorce, losing one's ability to do their job, earn money the only way he knows how, and pretty much losing a father without him actually dying. IMO that's more than just an argument.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You make it sound as though his Dad told him he couldn't go to a concert, and so he went into a depression that ruined his career. Which, by the way, can and does put people with depression over the age in extreme cases. His father, who he trusted, stole his hard-earned money, stalked him, tried to blackmail him, and generally made his life miserable. His father also was the reason some teams did not sign Brule. PLUS he was put on antidepressants (kind of hastily) that in some cases make the problem worse.

So I would think emotionally the whole situation is similar to going through a complicated divorce, losing one's ability to do their job, earn money the only way he knows how, and pretty much losing a father without him actually dying. IMO that's more than just an argument.
This is all unsubstantiated hearsay conjecture. Not fact. Please recognize that distinction.
EVen the article is clearly stating there is not an agreed statement of facts, the allegations are "unproven" how could anybody read it any other way?

Old
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
This is all unsubstantiated hearsay conjecture. Not fact. Please recognize that distinction.
EVen the article is clearly stating there is not an agreed statement of facts, the allegations are "unproven" how could anybody read it any other way?
You have obviously made up your mind on the subject. If none of the alleged things occurred and he believed them to have occurred, then they will affect him just the same. For a person with depression, these events he may or may not have experienced might put him in a funk for a while. Like with many things, there are relapses, but once under control as he claims to have it he can probably function for a very long time without much trouble. "Normal" people can go through a depressive episode when pushed hard enough emotionally as well. I would argue that what he believes to have occurred is something that would make any person bad at their jobs/life for a while, much like a death or bad divorce.

I'm just going on the assumption that he's not lying about the situation whereas you are going on the assumption that he is.

Old
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You have obviously made up your mind on the subject. If none of the alleged things occurred and he believed them to have occurred, then they will affect him just the same. For a person with depression, these events he may or may not have experienced might put him in a funk for a while. Like with many things, there are relapses, but once under control as he claims to have it he can probably function for a very long time without much trouble. "Normal" people can go through a depressive episode when pushed hard enough emotionally as well. I would argue that what he believes to have occurred is something that would make any person bad at their jobs/life for a while, much like a death or bad divorce.

I'm just going on the assumption that he's not lying about the situation whereas you are going on the assumption that he is.
I'm going on the assumption that there are not agreed statements of facts. The truth could lie somewhere, many places, in between. Your wording suggested that what Brule was stating was the fact, just the way you worded it. I was just correcting that.
I don't discount that Brules experience of this and perception of this would be painful. But I also don't discount that being so predisposed makes him a less than ideal candidate for competitive pro sports in which you have to endure, prevail, and cope with fierce opposition, barriers, and endless performance pressure. Brule is having trouble getting to the starting gate at this point several years into his pro career and at the age of 26.

He may salvage something out of his career and I hope so. But I'm OK with it not being here, this club usually has enough problems.

Lastly, Brule may end up exacerbating his problems by continuing to expose to a competive pro sports world of incredibly high stress. Many people with mental health conditions do try to persevere in very stressful careers and make their conditions far worse. I don't wish that on anybody either and have seen how painful it can be for friends, loved ones.

Sometimes acceptance, and finding manageable livelihood and means is the better way to go. just a comment.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-17-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 05:00 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Replacement, your last couple of comments are fine but I have to say you sure seem pedantic sometimes when you keep restating "this is one side of the story".

Yes we get it, we are making our comments based on the article and we're trying to figure out how it could have affected Brule's career. No one is arguing that.

Edit: not trying to flame here, just my opinion.

Last edited by dustrock: 07-17-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old
07-18-2013, 12:00 AM
How Ya Drouin
12/08/13 GM GamesRIP

Hey, Canucks fan coming in peace (I know that probably doesn't get said around here very often ) What is the Oilers fans thought on Smid? Really good?

Old
07-18-2013, 12:24 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI123 View Post
Hey, Canucks fan coming in peace (I know that probably doesn't get said around here very often ) What is the Oilers fans thought on Smid? Really good?
Better than Ryan Kesler at defence.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI123 View Post
Team/Fan favourite. Nice stay at home style defender, good skater but average to below average puck moving ability.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:37 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Team/Fan favourite. Nice stay at home style defender, good skater but average to below average puck moving ability.
That goal he scored on the Canucks was a seeing eye shot though.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
That goal he scored on the Canucks was a seeing eye shot though.
I really think he's about to break out. Expect 60+ points next season.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
lere2001

Wow. Panthers are basically giving people tickets.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1474791

Old
07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Not a horrible move. Try get people to buy now, they know the won't be selling out anyway.

PHX had that whole buy a 40 of vodka and get 2 free tickets a couple years back as well.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:46 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not a horrible move. Try get people to buy now, they know the won't be selling out anyway.

PHX had that whole buy a 40 of vodka and get 2 free tickets a couple years back as well.
Khabibulin got one of those.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

This would come in handy for most Oiler home games but no such luck..

Old
07-25-2013, 01:37 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
I'm going on the assumption that there are not agreed statements of facts. The truth could lie somewhere, many places, in between. Your wording suggested that what Brule was stating was the fact, just the way you worded it. I was just correcting that.
I don't discount that Brules experience of this and perception of this would be painful. But I also don't discount that being so predisposed makes him a less than ideal candidate for competitive pro sports in which you have to endure, prevail, and cope with fierce opposition, barriers, and endless performance pressure. Brule is having trouble getting to the starting gate at this point several years into his pro career and at the age of 26.

He may salvage something out of his career and I hope so. But I'm OK with it not being here, this club usually has enough problems.

Lastly, Brule may end up exacerbating his problems by continuing to expose to a competive pro sports world of incredibly high stress. Many people with mental health conditions do try to persevere in very stressful careers and make their conditions far worse. I don't wish that on anybody either and have seen how painful it can be for friends, loved ones.

Sometimes acceptance, and finding manageable livelihood and means is the better way to go. just a comment.

You guys do realize that depression doesn't have to be onset by anything in particular right? Sure a difficult life situation or trauma could kick it off. But also just the general stress of everyday life, lack of sleep or simply just living could be enough.
So the whole argument over how bad whatever his dad did is kind of moot.
Having said that, one must remember that the one thing us humans have the hardest time to deal with is humiliation. Reading that article I'd say Brule felt humiliated and let down by his father. That's something most humans would struggle with.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Combine a negative obsession with certain players with a clear and naive misunderstanding of depression and its effects, and you see where this topic has gone.

Gross.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Combine a negative obsession with certain players with a clear and naive misunderstanding of depression and its effects, and you see where this topic has gone.

Gross.
Indeed.

How's the weather over there?

Closed Thread