HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Cards

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Possibly.

From the way they are promoting it, the top draft choices who make their teams on opening night will be included Series 1:

They do have question marks besides the names from the new draft class. It would be pretty lame to arbitrarily hold back one just for the sake of pimping Series 2. A different story if one or more does not actually make the roster though.
S2 guys held back from S1 as YGs
05-06 Ovechkin, Getzlaf, Carter, Vanek
06-07 Malkin, Radulov
07-08 Toews
08-09 Filatov, Brunnstrom
09-10 no one of note (only one top rookie, Johhny T)
10-11 Seguin
11-12 no one of note (only one top rookie and one secondary rookie, RNH and Landy)
12-13 no Series 2

So they pretty much do this every year.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:01 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
The first 2013-14 hockey set came out today.

2013-14 Upper Deck Trilogy

First rookies for the likes of Yakupov, Tarasenko, Galchenyuk, Huberdeau etc.

Higher end product...

5 cards per pack
3 packs per Mini-Box
3 Mini-Boxes per Display Box

Probably set you back anywhere from $250 and up for a box.

Next up is the lower end 13-14 Score. Think it's out next week.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
blankall

Managed to pick up 3 hobby boxes of 2012-13 S1 for $30 each plus shipping. Should have bought 10....Right after I bought these someone cleaned him out though.

Highlights:

Ryan Miller: 3 colour patch /15
Crosby: Jersey and MVP
Kovalchuk: Jersey
Kreider: Young Guns
Shattenkirk: Jersey

For what I paid, I got good value. I'd be a big dissapointed if I'd paid $60+ though. That probably has a lot to do with the weak selection of Young Guns in there though.

Also, not overly impressed with the quality control. 1 pack, instead of having 8 cards, came with 4 cards and 1 ripped card. Also, some of the silver came off cards and was transferred onto the backs of a few other cards.

I also found their selection for insert players a little lame at times. I got a Wade Redden auto and an Evgenii Dadonov and Henrik Karlsson jerseys. Dadonov was a 2007 draft pick who signed in the KHL, and probably won't ever be an NHLer.

Overall, the number of hits was pretty good though. Between the 3 boxes: 6 jerseys, 1 auto, 1 patch, 18 young guns, 2 canvas young guns, 1 upper deck exclusive, and multiple silver skate, canvas, MVP, hero cards etc...

Also, good luck for a Flames fan: Cammy jersey, Karlsson jersey, Iginla canvas and MVP, Cammy canvas, and Aliu Young Guns. No Sven Young Guns, but I did already have one.

Edit: Also will be selling all of these but the young guns, let me know if you're interested. They will be going up on EBay shortly.

Last edited by blankall: 07-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
vapor11

Opened 2 more boxes today.. 1 pro set series 2 and 1 Score series 1.. Confidence in hitting hologram pretty low

Still have 4 more boxes.. Miscounted how many my dad had.. One of the boxes is signed.. Unsure of by whom.. Dad doesn't have the greatest memory neither.. Assuming it was #9 on the jets in early 90s..we live in Thunder Bay but he made the trip to a Jets game from time to time

Ended up opening all but one score.. Should have held onto them for another 20 years.. No hologram in site :/

Last edited by vapor11: 07-17-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 04:52 PM
pezcore

For those interested, here's my Carey Price collection

http://forums.cloutsnchara.com/viewt...?f=103&t=29245

Im also a moderator on that hobby site so if anyone has any particular question, dont hesitate to Pm me.

Psyched about the double rookie class....gonna cost me a fortune but if I can land a couple of good rookies itll be worth it

Old
07-17-2013, 07:41 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post

Ended up opening all but one score.. Should have held onto them for another 20 years.. No hologram in site :/

You can always buy more on Ebay for about $5-10 a piece.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:34 AM
blankall

Quick question, what do collectors do with the base cards?

Old
07-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Managed to pick up 3 hobby boxes of 2012-13 S1 for $30 each plus shipping. Should have bought 10....Right after I bought these someone cleaned him out though.

Highlights:

Ryan Miller: 3 colour patch /15
Crosby: Jersey and MVP
Kovalchuk: Jersey
Kreider: Young Guns
Shattenkirk: Jersey

For what I paid, I got good value. I'd be a big dissapointed if I'd paid $60+ though. That probably has a lot to do with the weak selection of Young Guns in there though.

Also, not overly impressed with the quality control. 1 pack, instead of having 8 cards, came with 4 cards and 1 ripped card. Also, some of the silver came off cards and was transferred onto the backs of a few other cards.

I also found their selection for insert players a little lame at times. I got a Wade Redden auto and an Evgenii Dadonov and Henrik Karlsson jerseys. Dadonov was a 2007 draft pick who signed in the KHL, and probably won't ever be an NHLer.

Overall, the number of hits was pretty good though. Between the 3 boxes: 6 jerseys, 1 auto, 1 patch, 18 young guns, 2 canvas young guns, 1 upper deck exclusive, and multiple silver skate, canvas, MVP, hero cards etc...

Also, good luck for a Flames fan: Cammy jersey, Karlsson jersey, Iginla canvas and MVP, Cammy canvas, and Aliu Young Guns. No Sven Young Guns, but I did already have one.

Edit: Also will be selling all of these but the young guns, let me know if you're interested. They will be going up on EBay shortly.
That is a sick deal. I thought maybe you were talking about retail but only Hobby has serial numbered cards like patches in them.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
The first 2013-14 hockey set came out today.

2013-14 Upper Deck Trilogy

First rookies for the likes of Yakupov, Tarasenko, Galchenyuk, Huberdeau etc.

Higher end product...

5 cards per pack
3 packs per Mini-Box
3 Mini-Boxes per Display Box

Probably set you back anywhere from $250 and up for a box.

Next up is the lower end 13-14 Score. Think it's out next week.
I've seen a bunch of it broken...they mixed Artifacts with Trilogy. Since I don't really like Artifacts but have always liked Trilogy, I think they made the product worse. But a lot of collectors are falling for it and are snapping it up. I think next year's Trilogy, if it follows the same path, will flop. Then Trilogy two years from now will be a highly coveted, underprinted product.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Opened 2 more boxes today.. 1 pro set series 2 and 1 Score series 1.. Confidence in hitting hologram pretty low

Still have 4 more boxes.. Miscounted how many my dad had.. One of the boxes is signed.. Unsure of by whom.. Dad doesn't have the greatest memory neither.. Assuming it was #9 on the jets in early 90s..we live in Thunder Bay but he made the trip to a Jets game from time to time

As I said before, the Stanley Cup hologram is not in Score or in Pro Set 91-92. It has the much less valuable 75th Anniversary NHL hologram.

What you want is the first on-card autographs. Looks like you have S2 for Pro Set, you're gunning for Patrick Roy in that one and Bobby Orr in the Score.

Last edited by Rorschach: 07-18-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old
07-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Quick question, what do collectors do with the base cards?
I used to hand build sets even though I had no use for them. If I have a LOT of those cards from the same series, like a few thousand, I will build sets. Otherwise I pull cards of my PC team, the Kings and just put the rest in to 3200 and 5000 count boxes. Since I only collect Upper Deck, I try to keep them all by year and the same product in the same 3200 count box.

I literally could build a 6 foot tall igloo that I could fully stand up in with all of the cards I have.

Also, I have a tendency to open product more, 10 to 1, if I like the base cards.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I used to hand build sets even though I had no use for them. If I have a LOT of those cards from the same series, like a few thousand, I will build sets. Otherwise I pull cards of my PC team, the Kings and just put the rest in to 3200 and 5000 count boxes. Since I only collect Upper Deck, I try to keep them all by year and the same product in the same 3200 count box.

I literally could build a 6 foot tall igloo that I could fully stand up in with all of the cards I have.

Also, I have a tendency to open product more, 10 to 1, if I like the base cards.
Is there any big hit in early 90s Opee Chee or Premier?

Old
07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
blankall

Quote:

I got a great deal. It was from an ultra sketchy online retailer. He had over 20 boxes available. I thought I'd do a test run to see what condition they came in or if they came at all. They came in perfect condition within a few days, but somebody else bought hte whole lot the day after me.

I have taken the time to put them in sets. Maybe I'll try to sell the sets locally on Craigslist for $20. My big concern is space. I don't have the space to keep 10,000 cards sitting around.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Is there any big hit in early 90s Opee Chee or Premier?
If it's a box of 1990/91 OPC Premier, I'd hang onto that. Those actually have some value. High graded rookies from that set actually hold some value too.

Also, chasing after those 1/1000 signed and hologram pro-set and score cards is a huge endeavour. The production runs were so huge with those sets that the odds of pulling one from a pack are very very low. The Stanley Cup hologram is out of 5000, but still very rare given production numbers.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
vapor11

Quote:
As I said before, the Stanley Cup hologram is not in Score or in Pro Set 91-92. It has the much less valuable 75th Anniversary NHL hologram.

What you want is the first on-card autographs. Looks like you have S2 for Pro Set, you're gunning for Patrick Roy in that one and Bobby Orr in the Score.
Thanks for for the info.. Would have been nice to have a rare card of value in my collection to hold onto.. Have boxes and binders from childhood that are pretty much worthless

Old
07-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Elever
Hth

We got two Shawn Horcoff captains card with a jersey patch for the Oilers for visiting the HOF today. I'm not an Oilers fan or Horcoff collector though so if anyone wants to trade it for a Gabriel Landeskog HOF captains card then let me know.

EDIT: The Upper Deck Collector's Corner in the HOF is terrible btw. Very small first of all but the hockey cards they have are just random base cards. They try to organize it somewhat like base cards of goalies or hall winners but still....put at least something rare from before the 50s or maybe a modern limited card. I know they must have a tonne too considering how many cards are in their Etobicoke resource centre.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post

Im also a moderator on that hobby site so if anyone has any particular question, dont hesitate to Pm me.

Psyched about the double rookie class....gonna cost me a fortune but if I can land a couple of good rookies itll be worth it
At first I thought your collection was only the first few cards and was wondering why you'd take the time you scan them and share them. Then the rest of the page loaded.

That's a very good collection. Those thread cards you have there, I was watching a Price and I forget the other guy, but it went for 27 bucks. I was pissed I missed it.

What does Lucic, Price and Kariya have in common ? Don't get that card. Normally there's a meaning to it.

Also, I'm pissed that some Black Diamond sets 4 stars is good and then others 1 star is good.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Thanks for for the info.. Would have been nice to have a rare card of value in my collection to hold onto.. Have boxes and binders from childhood that are pretty much worthless
Another thing is, and this is outside the box, any dead mint Gretzky card, especially the side cards like award winners, record breakers and all star cards can potentially be worth money because there are a lot of rich Gretzky collectors who go after every mint Gretzky. It would have to be graded though, by BGS (Beckett Grading Services).

Old
07-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
If it's a box of 1990/91 OPC Premier, I'd hang onto that. Those actually have some value. High graded rookies from that set actually hold some value too.

Also, chasing after those 1/1000 signed and hologram pro-set and score cards is a huge endeavour. The production runs were so huge with those sets that the odds of pulling one from a pack are very very low. The Stanley Cup hologram is out of 5000, but still very rare given production numbers.
With regards to OPCP, I would unload it now while it still has value. Once 100% of the players are retired, out of sight, out of mind. Plus there is still tons of sealed cases laying around.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
We got two Shawn Horcoff captains card with a jersey patch for the Oilers for visiting the HOF today. I'm not an Oilers fan or Horcoff collector though so if anyone wants to trade it for a Gabriel Landeskog HOF captains card then let me know.

EDIT: The Upper Deck Collector's Corner in the HOF is terrible btw. Very small first of all but the hockey cards they have are just random base cards. They try to organize it somewhat like base cards of goalies or hall winners but still....put at least something rare from before the 50s or maybe a modern limited card. I know they must have a tonne too considering how many cards are in their Etobicoke resource centre.
Well, it's Upper Deck's spot, which probably means the HHOF just wanted a place for casual fans and kids can get some cards. And it's probably run by the Hall and UD just pays a fee to advertise there and they donated the cards. Plus UD started in 1989 so I doubt they would put any old cards...

Old
07-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Same here, I was recently boxing up the majority of my base (wife's a teacher, gives it to the kids) I was contemplating dumping my 93-94 score in there aswell. I know it's not worth the paper it's printed on, but it seems like such a waste keeping it mint for almost 20 years just to give it all away.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
I got a great deal. It was from an ultra sketchy online retailer. He had over 20 boxes available. I thought I'd do a test run to see what condition they came in or if they came at all. They came in perfect condition within a few days, but somebody else bought hte whole lot the day after me.

I have taken the time to put them in sets. Maybe I'll try to sell the sets locally on Craigslist for $20. My big concern is space. I don't have the space to keep 10,000 cards sitting around.
Most semi-premium sets are offered for 5 to maybe 10 bucks and sell slow. I have almost a thousand hand collated sets, most are from expensive product.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Same here, I was recently boxing up the majority of my base (wife's a teacher, gives it to the kids) I was contemplating dumping my 93-94 score in there aswell. I know it's not worth the paper it's printed on, but it seems like such a waste keeping it mint for almost 20 years just to give it all away.
Some 93-94 Score is worth money but none of the base cards.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post

Nice stuff, it makes my Price collection look so weak. Just curious what would you do with it if he was traded?

Old
07-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Some 93-94 Score is worth money but none of the base cards.
lol I know, I know. All I have to show for all my hard earned allowance, is about 500 worthless base cards and a couple dream team inserts, most of which I've traded for in the last year strictly from a nostalgia standpoint.

Closed Thread