HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:50 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I dont think most people complained about Tambo being tight lipped more that he didnt accomplish anything. If my GM never says a word I dont give a damn. You cant talk me into believing you are doing a good job, they only way to do that is to prove it.
The point is it's never good enough for some fans.

You can't blame 'em. The last 7 years have been extremely painful.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I'm not happy with the bottom 6. Lander could be a 4th line center, but if he gets injured then what? Are we relying on this Acton guy? I'm not comfortable with that depth.

Aside from that we need a legit top pairing dman and could use an upgrade on Dubnyk. Not exactly easy to find a #1 dman and a #1 goalie without giving up important pieces.

So I'm mostly happy with what MacT has done, except for the fact that he thinks the bottom 6 is good, it's not and we're going to struggle because of it.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:31 PM
shogun99

Check out this link of NHL depth charts. http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nhl.aspx

When you compare our center depth to other teams, we're actually not that bad. I'd say we're in the top 10-15 in the league.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm also wondering if Mac T has a few spots on the roster he may want to upgrade (obv bottom 6 and D) but he's going to give Eakins the benefit of the doubt in the first couple of months.

One advantage Mac T has was that he actually coached, so he might have a better idea of what's the problem with the Oilers.

If he looked at Krueger's system and looked at all the problems we had 5-on-5 and on D coverage, he might think someone like Nick Schultz might actually be a pretty decent player who was playing in a stupid system.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:33 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I think it's a valid point about Nick Schultz... he was always considered as a rock solid defensive pillar back on defense and then he comes to Edmonton and it all turns to crap... especially last year under Krueger.

Either Nick Schultz almost instantly lost his mojo... OR he was shackled with a rookie and playing under a somewhat inept system developed by a rookie head coach.

Personally I believe it's more of the latter than the former and I think Schultz is basically as good as Smid when all is said and done.

Most of us want to trade Nick away for a half box of hockey tape but I think he will rebound when he doesn't have to babysit a rookie for a full season and has a coach who uses a little more logic in his gameplan. Of course Eakins is a rookie HC in the NHL as well so there will be a learning curve there as well... only time will tell I guess on how the players respond to Eakins and his methods.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:44 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Check out this link of NHL depth charts. http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nhl.aspx

When you compare our center depth to other teams, we're actually not that bad. I'd say we're in the top 10-15 in the league.
I was looking at that rotoworld site (not bad but their lineups are way out of date)... and I saw this story:

Tim Leiweke, who is taking over as Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment's president, has high hopes for the Leafs.
In fact, Leiweke already has the Stanley Cup parade route planned out. "If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward," he explained. The Maple Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1966-67. It would be a shock if they won it all next season, but they do seem to be moving in the right direction. Jul 16 - 11:32 AM
Source: Bloomberg.com

Good to see the Leafs are still living the fairy tale there. Talk about a jinx.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 07-18-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:12 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I was looking at that rotoworld site (not bad but their lineups are way out of date)... and I saw this story:

Tim Leiweke, who is taking over as Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment's president, has high hopes for the Leafs.
In fact, Leiweke already has the Stanley Cup parade route planned out. "If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward," he explained. The Maple Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1966-67. It would be a shock if they won it all next season, but they do seem to be moving in the right direction. Jul 16 - 11:32 AM
Source: Bloomberg.com

Good to see the Leafs are still living the fairly tale there. Talk about a jinx.
The Leafs have yet to break their multi-decade long perpetual cycle. I don't think this guy has been a fan for long

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
One advantage Mac T has was that he actually coached, so he might have a better idea of what's the problem with the Oilers.
It's going to be proof in the results, but I do think MacT is attempting to build a team, not just fill a roster as happened in the past. That said, there is still some filling needed.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post

Thanks for the link shogun. Very useful look.

Teams with good centre depth (i.e. at least three quality centre deep and a fourth veteran) include Anaheim, Boston, Colorado, Detroit, Los Angeles, Nashville, NY Isles (!), NY Rangers, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Toronto, St. Louis.

Calgary is really bad.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Qrispy

Is MacT all that much better than Tambi? Aside from that Perron-MPS deal, all he's done is brought in depth guys; Pretty much the same as Tambi. I guess everyone was all in tizzy over "bold moves" and "I'm an impatient man" etc etc. MacT is just much more open about his intentions than Tambi was. I kind of liked that Tambi kept his cards close to his chest, though. Less rumors/speculation/hearsay and less disappointment.

If Tambi had trades on the table, I think he would have made them. Doesn't seem like MacT is having much luck there either, though.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:54 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Is MacT all that much better than Tambi? Aside from that Perron-MPS deal, all he's done is brought in depth guys; Pretty much the same as Tambi. I guess everyone was all in tizzy over "bold moves" and "I'm an impatient man" etc etc. MacT is just much more open about his intentions than Tambi was. I kind of liked that Tambi kept his cards close to his chest, though. Less rumors/speculation/hearsay and less disappointment.

If Tambi had trades on the table, I think he would have made them. Doesn't seem like MacT is having much luck there either, though.
You consider a guy who logged 45 minutes in a Stanley Cup Final game last month a depth defenseman?

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
You consider a guy who logged 45 minutes in a Stanley Cup Final game last month a depth defenseman?
He's a #4-5 so eh maybe, maybe not. He was a UFA signing (and from Edmonton), so I don't really count it as some big deal or anything.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

MacT never sleeps!

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Oi'll say!

MacT is in the right place at the right time.

All the draft picks that we acquired because of how ****** of a coach he was are developing along with the ufa that we acquired last season under Tambo.

I liked the Perron trade when I firat heard about it but that was based on the wa he was playing before be got injured, I didn't realise he had concussions.

Signing Ference isn't such a huge deal compared to Schultz's signing last year.

He gets a d-, he's already finding ways to gripe about his own players and it's still just the off-season.

He seriously does need to be fired b4 he manages to wreck the team. If anyone can do it, it's him.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:35 AM
shiva

Wow guys, I mean really... wow

I know we all have suffered the last 8 years or so, but at least give the guy a chance here, and not let blind hatred override reason. MacT has made just as many changes as Tambi has, but Tambi did it over years, while MacT has done it in weeks.

This is one of the weakest UFA crops in many years, he dumped Horcs contract and even got something back, and though the list of new players are not Crosby level like some of you seem to be demanding, in just about every case, they are better than the player they are replacing. The team will certainly be more committed with how they play, and I'm sure we won't see the indifferent play of the team like we have before.

We are not going to win the cup next year, but at the very least, we have a better team in a far tougher division, that will be in the fight for a playoff spot this year. Lots more depth to maybe finally solve the teams collapses due to injuries, a new coach, Perron will be a very good addition and far better suited for 2nd line wing than MPS, and I like the pick-ups for defense.

MacT isn't done, the rumor of Clifford coming means he is now working on improving the bottom 6 and starting to fine tune things, even though we still have at least 2 months to go. There will be 8 new players this year, he drafted very well, and I expect the Oilers will finally start getting better.

Considering the huge job in front of him when he became the GM, I think MacT has done a hell of a good job so far, especially with what he had to start with.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:57 AM
B A T M A N*

We NEED to improve our bottom six. Trading a bust for Perron was a great move though.

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The Bruins had Chara and Seidenberg as they're top 2. The Oil don't actually have anyone that could play top 2 on a Stanley Cup team...We have 4-5 players that could play 2nd pairing so, yeah, 5 players for 2 positions would be depth...such as a 34 year old defensive defencemen.

If people are expecting Ference to be some sort of saviour, they're going to be pretty disappointed. Nice pickup to push someone down a notch but old and we still don't have any top line D.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:29 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

All the draft picks that we acquired because of how ****** of a coach he was are developing along with the ufa that we acquired last season under Tambo.

I liked the Perron trade when I firat heard about it but that was based on the wa he was playing before be got injured, I didn't realise he had concussions.

He gets a d-, he's already finding ways to gripe about his own players and it's still just the off-season.

He seriously does need to be fired b4 he manages to wreck the team. If anyone can do it, it's him.
Not only was that a few years ago, it's been ONE concussion. Did you know Taylor Hall had a concussion? Or Sydney Crosby? Or Patrice Bergeron? Should their teams give up on them?

It's amazing how people will spin things to make MacT look worse than Tambo. Good Lord.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Paralyzer008

I'm connecting the dots, and MacT certainly isn't done.

-A d-man or two are certainly moving
-Expect two more RWs, with Hemsky moving
-expect a C to either be signed or invited to training camp

I believe MacT is going with this blueprint:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-BLANK

then, he wants at least three competitors at each 4th line position.
LW: Smyth, Joensuu, Hamilton
C: Lander, Arcobello, ?
RW: Brown, Eager, ?

On D, he wants healthy competition for the final two D spots in the top 7 (Nick Schultz guaranteed as 5). Based on the above, this would mean three D's going to each spot
LD: Belov, Marincin, Klefbom
RD: Potter, Larsen, Grebeshkov, Fedun

4 guys fighting for RD? Means Potter or Fedun is moving.

End of my hypothesis

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Well this week Mac-T has made a move that's totally overloaded our depth of bottom pairing d-men to an astounding number which tells me we've got another trade coming in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure Tambo could've gotten so much done if he wanted to.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well this week Mac-T has made a move that's totally overloaded our depth of bottom pairing d-men to an astounding number which tells me we've got another trade coming in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure Tambo could've gotten so much done if he wanted to.
I wouldnt be so sure about that. If you read the trades board every year lots of teams have too many depth d-men and their fans expect to ship some out in trade. Never happens. The Canucks picked up Cam Barker last year mostly to sit in the pressbox. Injuries happen and we just dropped Plante, Teubert and Peckham we needed some depth.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

He wasn't the coach in any of the years we finished last (giving us 3 1st overall picks). Eberle was drafted 22nd overall. Gagner is the only top 10 draft pick we have from any of the seasons MacTavish was coach, and most around here seem to want to put him on the first bus out of town. So I fail to see how the "fuits of MacT's horrible coaching" has put this team in a favorable position.

Tambellini deserves credit for signing Schultz, but he wasn't exactly doing anything that 29 other GMs weren't already trying to do. Did Schultz chose the Oilers over every other team because of Tambellini's masterful management? I'd love to hear that case made.

07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He wasn't the coach in any of the years we finished last (giving us 3 1st overall picks). Eberle was drafted 22nd overall. Gagner is the only top 10 draft pick we have from any of the seasons MacTavish was coach, and most around here seem to want to put him on the first bus out of town. So I fail to see how the "fuits of MacT's horrible coaching" has put this team in a favorable position.

Tambellini deserves credit for signing Schultz, but he wasn't exactly doing anything that 29 other GMs weren't already trying to do. Did Schultz chose the Oilers over every other team because of Tambellini's masterful management? I'd love to hear that case made.
Tambo wasn't even part of the team that went to woo Schultz. It was Lowe and MacT with Taylor Hall.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Bruins fan here. Spent a LOT of time in Edmonton though with a lot of Oilers fans.

I wasn't impressed when the team handed MacT the reigns of this team, but he is steadily proving me wrong.

Every single move he's made since he took over, has been one in a positive direction. I haven't seen that from the Oilers' organization in some time. He's not DONE by any means (and those cutting into him for the team not being a finished product are being unfair)... But if MacTavish keeps going like he has, you're all going to be big fans of where you end up in a year or two.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Tambo wasn't even part of the team that went to woo Schultz. It was Lowe and MacT with Taylor Hall.
You mean Kruger.

MacT has been fine and I dont mind our bottom 6 depth.

Jones and Gordon are locks for 3rd line.

Joensu, Eager, Lander, Smyth, Brown, Hamilton, Acton, (Hemksy??) all fighting for last 4 spots

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote