HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Makes sense, Tinordi is the only person in the Habs organization MaCarron can see eye to eye.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
He's listed on the official roster.

(well, OK, on wikipedia...haven't had a chance to check if it's anywhere else )
The Habs website, genius?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:19 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
But grocery stores in London are leaping for joy.
But but... they'll be recognized... that is no kind of life.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
NLHabsFan

Should really help him transition to the OHL, Canada, and the Habs.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
We'll see, but it was reported that many teammates didn't really like Komisarek 'cause he was the coaches pet and apparently would rat out players who weren't respecting curfew and that kinda thing. That's only speculation, but it wouldn't be surprising by the way that things ended between him and Montreal.

Honestly, I never really saw any of them as captains because it didn't seem that convincing.
The reason players hated that is because Komisarek himself was breaking curfew all of the time and convincing guys like Higgins, Gorges and Price to party with him while doing it. Higgins and Komisarek were really no different than Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, they just didn't have the talent to back it up and make teams try to work around it (like the Kings did and won a Cup with two party animals).

It's all hearsay of course.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
The reason players hated that is because Komisarek himself was breaking curfew all of the time and convincing guys like Higgins, Gorges and Price to party with him while doing it. Higgins and Komisarek were really no different than Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, they just didn't have the talent to back it up and make teams try to work around it (like the Kings did and won a Cup with two party animals).

It's all hearsay of course.
And Komisarek drew some ire from teammates for always being on camera and doing interviews. Same thing Subban took heat for. Apparently if you want to stay on the team's good side in Montreal, you have to lay low

Old
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
And Komisarek drew some ire from teammates for always being on camera and doing interviews. Same thing Subban took heat for. Apparently if you want to stay on the team's good side in Montreal, you have to lay low
Canadian athletes (in the generic sense, not Canadien) have a reputation (perhaps undeserved) of being modest. Komisarek, being American, was perhaps unaware of it, not to mention his extracurricular activities.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:39 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Considering how well they did, shouldn't the 2007 draft have been the turning point for the Habs to be a true contender NOW?

Good question...But one draft does not win u a cup

If anything, last year's draft will have more impact on the team than this one... I don't see anyone that will come close to having the impact Galchenyuk will.
[QUOTE=Whitesnake;69236547]I have to agree. 2007 and 2012 are more a stepping stone than 2013. Even if I thought we had enough picks to be a team changing draft. It should be very good. But it will be really tough to beat the quality/quantity ratio of McDo/Subban/MaxPac and the superior quality of Galchenyuk. And if you add a Collberg in that draft....just wow. Yet, 2013 could be remember for 2 things: The emergence of our first power forward since I don't know how many years. And maybe, just maybe, our next starting goalie permitting us to deal the present one in due time, getting THEN the other pieces needed to go far. But that's not short term. Then, there are also pieces in there that covers a lot of things, from defensive player to really talented forwards as well. Tons of depth in that 2013. Quality wise...I agree, 2007 and 2012...tough to beat.[/QUOTE

2013 has to be looked back in 3-5 years to know .....I was just hoping

Old
07-18-2013, 03:48 AM

I want McBergeron to fight 15-20 times next season. I don't even care if he loses 80% of his fights. I just want to see the willingness to fight. Don't disappoint me Mike.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I want McBergeron to fight 15-20 times next season. I don't even care if he loses 80% of his fights. I just want to see the willingness to fight. Don't disappoint me Mike.
Why the **** would we want him to fight that much.. He's not a ****ing goon.

I rather see him pot 25+ goals and get 60+ points doing what he does best.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:55 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Hopefully Tinordi doesn't "teach" him how to fight. :-)
True enough . Was at the game where he went McGuire. Not good.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Why the **** would we want him to fight that much.. He's not a ****ing goon.

I rather see him pot 25+ goals and get 60+ points doing what he does best.
He can do both.

Old
07-18-2013, 05:00 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Hell be suspended for a chunk of games if he does. And why wouldnt you care if he loses 80%? That would do wonders for him -- eyeroll

OHL has increasing discipline for every fight over 10 (unless instigated upon)

Learn to play with that big body, Hunters teach the cycle game, puck protection well. Get comfy using those hands in tight, play 200 ft, but dont go all Bilke on us.

Old
07-18-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Hell be suspended for a chunk of games if he does. And why wouldnt you care if he loses 80%? That would do wonders for him -- eyeroll

Learn to play with that big body, Hunters teach the cycle game, puck protection well. Get comfy using those hands in tight, play 200 ft, but dont go all Bilke on us.
Didn't know that rule. Thanks.
Losing fights is not the end of the world though unless you get destroyed like Tinordi did against McGuire lol.

Old
07-18-2013, 07:10 AM
ScottFC

Personally, I don't care if he gets in 5 or 25 fights this season. Whats important to me is that he develops a game that leaves opposing D's scared to backcheck, go into the corners and hold onto the puck for too long while Mac's on the ice.

Old
07-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Didn't know that rule. Thanks.
Losing fights is not the end of the world though unless you get destroyed like Tinordi did against McGuire lol.
It's happened to all the top NHL enforcers, so not a big deal...Orr, Thornton, Carkner etc

Old
07-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Tim Wallach

The OHL isn't anywhere near a goon league anymore. Even most of the tough guys only fight 6 or 7 times in a season, with a couple exceptions (I'm looking at you Bilcke).

I expect McCarron will drop 'em about that many times. He'll get a couple in early to announce his arrival but they'll really get down to playing hockey by Christmas and the Hunters will have him a key, mostly non-fighting role by the second half.

Look at London's fighting stats. Not a whole lot of guys dropping them often. Zadorov did two or three times in the first few games last year before the Hunters reined him in and made him a top-end defender. Mike is in very good hands now.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:29 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
The OHL isn't anywhere near a goon league anymore. Even most of the tough guys only fight 6 or 7 times in a season, with a couple exceptions (I'm looking at you Bilcke).

I expect McCarron will drop 'em about that many times. He'll get a couple in early to announce his arrival but they'll really get down to playing hockey by Christmas and the Hunters will have him a key, mostly non-fighting role by the second half.

Look at London's fighting stats. Not a whole lot of guys dropping them often. Zadorov did two or three times in the first few games last year before the Hunters reined him in and made him a top-end defender. Mike is in very good hands now.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/11/reg2013

I'm one of those who wouldn't mind seeing McCarron on this ranking, neither. I don't want him playing the goons and concentrating solely of that, but it's going to be enough of a big part in his game for us so that I want him to keep improving this aspect of his game. And just like in everything, practice makes perfect.

People have to stop acting as if we drafted any other prospect who's touted to be a regular scorer. We want him to become an intimidating, physical, aggressive presence out there. And odds are that if it's what he becomes, he'll have to answer for it sooner than later. And that day, I don't want him to be Komisarek'ed by a much tougher guy. I want him to be able to answer for his acts.

So people should really stop pretending "I don't care about the fights, yada yada...". It's going to be a part of his game. And even if ultimately, I want him to be successful at hockey to be at least a similar player to Bickell out there, I also want him to be as intimidating as possible.

And give me a break with the "increasing punishment after 10 fights".

I want this guy to fight between 10 and 12 times this season, looking at those standings. I also want him to get on the scoresheet and develop his skills, but one actually doesn't prevent the other. I don't want any kind of fake power forward like Patches out there who goes out of his way to avoid contact with opponents, and who gets intimidated after his first suspension. I was a bulldozer who makes opponents pay for displaying their skills.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:31 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:

Losing fights (I'm not saying up to 80%, but if it has to happen, I want it to happen) would actually do wonders for a very confident guy like him. Confidence is good. But confidence, ALONG with the will to improve and knowing you're not the toughest guy out there, is the perfect way to improve into a top power-forward.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:

it will be weird for the new generation of enforcers obliged to wear a visor.. its gonna be a bit ackward... lol

Old
07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
it will be weird for the new generation of enforcers obliged to wear a visor.. its gonna be a bit ackward... lol
It's gonna be like the AHL. It's tougher leagur than the NHL and all the enforcers are wearing the visor!

Old
07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
odishabs

Im hoping for around 65 points with around 5-7 fights. Remember in the CHL if you fight more than 9 times in a season you get hit with a suspension.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Im hoping for around 65 points with around 5-7 fights. Remember in the CHL if you fight more than 9 times in a season you get hit with a suspension.
I think your targets are probably right around where his own personal targets are. I would say 65 points is the over/under. It's a very solid season if he puts up that number, but playing with Domi and Horvat, he should come close.

As for fights, regardless of what any of us want, the reality is that 5-7 fights is almost a given. No way he risks (or London lets him) hit double digits and get suspended.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'd prefer him to have one fight, after which no one dares challenge him.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
He'll fight, but it won't be because it's staged or anything stupid. The only way I see McCarron fighting is after he delivers a devastating hit and someone takes notice, or vice versa -- one of his teammates gets their bell rung and McCarron steps in.

Closed Thread