HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
  #1001
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Again, this comes down to personal values. You need speed to win in the NHL. You could argue that Boston and Chicago were the two fastest teams in the NHL top to bottom. It's something we need more of, and its something Ennis has and ROR doesn't. I'm going to drop it at this point because it's an argument based on opinions and neither of us us going to change the others mind.
I've never seen boston stated as one if the fastest teams in the league. They were filled with two way players that knew all three zones...

In fact they traded one of their top speed players in seguin for a slower two way monster in erickson.

CowbellConray is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
  #1002
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

it would be great to have an 80 pt shutdown center...

you NEED a player like that.... you don't need super duper danglez

franchise "center" gives the impression of "elite" offense... and no one will confuse Oreilly for an 80-90 pt center.

Arent you contradicting yourself in the same post????

ROR is not a franchise center.....talk about this when he even has a 70+ pt season.

Djp is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
  #1003
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Again, this comes down to personal values. You need speed to win in the NHL. You could argue that Boston and Chicago were the two fastest teams in the NHL top to bottom. It's something we need more of, and its something Ennis has and ROR doesn't. I'm going to drop it at this point because it's an argument based on opinions and neither of us us going to change the others mind.
You could also argue that having a ton of solid, defensively responsible forwards is important, and we have literally 3 of those on our roster ATM (Ott, Porter, Kaleta, with Flynn as a possible fourth). A TON of our defensive problems last year stemmed from not having forwards come back to give defensemen good outlets to clear the zone.
And Boston was hardly that fast of a team...unless guys like lucic, horton, jagr, krejci, and chara suddenly all became speed demons and i didn't notice. But they're littered with 2 way players up and down their roster. Their bottom 6 can chip in offense and keep the puck out of their net. Ours can't. And yes, Ennis is fast, and can score, but he's a black hole in his own end. Also, can't kill penalties. ROR would be a significant addition there.

kirby11 is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  #1004
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,633
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Top to bottom. It doesn't mean every player on their team has speed. It means every line they throw out can come at you with speed.

stokes84 is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
  #1005
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Arent you contradicting yourself in the same post????

ROR is not a franchise center.....talk about this when he even has a 70+ pt season.
no, you read it wrong

you need a player like Oreilly.

Jame is online now  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  #1006
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Again, this comes down to personal values. You need speed to win in the NHL. You could argue that Boston and Chicago were the two fastest teams in the NHL top to bottom. It's something we need more of, and its something Ennis has and ROR doesn't. I'm going to drop it at this point because it's an argument based on opinions and neither of us us going to change the others mind.

not really.
I think you'll pretty much just make stuff up in support of your argument.

No one in their right mind thinks "super duper speed" is more valuable than hard, physical, 2 way play come playoff time...

Jame is online now  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #1007
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 14,107
vCash: 500
Brindy
Pahlsson
Zetterberg
Staal*
Bolland
Bergeron
Kopitar
Toews

Checking centers are fundamentally important to contenders.

*Staal is the worst shadow/goal preventer of the list (a belief I've held since before his -999 season this year), and surprise, he's the one on the team with the best two offensive centers in the league.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  #1008
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 42,294
vCash: 500
Speaking of strong two way play and getting back to the roster build.


I'm trying to figure out where Larsson would fit best. I know Porter had a decent showing as our 3rd line center after his call up. He also had good chemistry with Ott/Flynn. But.....

We could recreate the Amerks top line from the playoffs by sticking Larsson between Ott/Flynn with Ott replacing Girgs. It would give us a pretty solid defensive line with possible offensive upside. The offensive upside would depend largely in Larsson and Flynn's development. Then slide Porter down to the 4th line where he is a better fit.

Another thought was try Larsson on Grigs wing. See if he can could handle a Hecht-like role on a scoring line.

Thoughts

joshjull is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
  #1009
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Speaking of strong two way play and getting back to the roster build.


I'm trying to figure out where Larsson would fit best. I know Porter had a decent showing as our 3rd line center after his call up. He also had good chemistry with Ott/Flynn. But.....

We could recreate the Amerks top line from the playoffs by sticking Larsson between Ott/Flynn with Ott replacing Girgs. It would give us a pretty solid defensive line with possible offensive upside. The offensive upside would depend largely in Larsson and Flynn's development. Then slide Porter down to the 4th line where he is a better fit.

Another thought was try Larsson on Grigs wing. See if he can could handle a Hecht-like role on a scoring line.

Thoughts
w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

Jame is online now  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
  #1010
Buffalo Warlord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
I keep hearing Miller to St.L rumors.. I just don't see a fit with Halak, Elliott and Allen. Anyone else feel Miller / Vanek have taken the team hostage ?

Buffalo Warlord is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
  #1011
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 42,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott
You prefer him at center then. That's my preference as well, particularly due to the fact that we don't have centers that bring what he does on the roster.

joshjull is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
  #1012
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
x Scott, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ott-Larsson-Flynn
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott
Quick question, did you just forget Foligno, or did you purposefully leave him out of the lineup?

And I agree with you that having Larsson at center is probably the best idea. I think I may leave him in the AHL to begin the year however and let develop some more chemistry with Girgensons as well as some of the other young players he will be playing with in the future.

Fly Boy is offline  
Old
07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  #1013
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Quick question, did you just forget Foligno or did you purposefully leave him out of the lineup?
oops

w/Vanek
Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Foligno-Porter-Kaleta
x Scott, Flynn, Tropp

w/o Vanek
Leino-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Foligno-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott, Flynn

Jame is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.