Form sentences more than 3 words .

Old
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
You can't sign US based kids if you never draft them and recruit them, just like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

More teams should look at what Belleville did. There is no reason not to.
Exactly!
Mark Hunter logging tons of km's on his car finds a kid that he likes. Belleville takes a flyer on him as Mark just missed getting him in the draft. He makes a trade based primarily on condition. A 2nd stays in the pocket for every year he doesnt report. If something was cooked wouldnt he have shown up last year? After all, Belleville would have got an extra pick and McCarron would have got more exposure going into his draft year and probably developed his game even better than he did over the past year....but thats not what happend.
The kid was not rated in the 1st round but getting picked in the 1st, by MTL changed everything.
With the advice from the MTL organization and former Knights, it is a no brainer that he would report to London. So where exactly is the issue? London has a great program for producing NHL players. And this is a problem and has to stop for some reason? Uh ok...

Old
07-17-2013, 10:04 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Which is what, exactly?
Probably the chance to play on a winning team.

Don't waste your time with the Windsor circus ares. They have way too much time on their hands.
Not to mention their bitterness at being snubbed by Stolarz, and getting shafted in the import draft yet again.
Another great year coming up

Old
07-17-2013, 10:09 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post

Don't waste your time with the Windsor circus ares. They have way too much time on their hands.
Not to mention their bitterness at being snubbed by Stolarz, and getting shafted in the import draft yet again.
lol "probably a chance to play on a winning team"...until they hit the Memorial Cup, then not so much

Who's bitter about Stolarz and the Import? I just found out about Stolarz on here a day or two ago. Meh, not a huge deal.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:25 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
lol "probably a chance to play on a winning team"...until they hit the Memorial Cup, then not so much

Who's bitter about Stolarz and the Import? I just found out about Stolarz on here a day or two ago. Meh, not a huge deal.
Did you read the last page and a half?
Then again, you know Rayzor and know exactly what we're talking about.
McCarron is coming to London because Montreal paid him to come here by giving him a contract. The Hunter's didn't have to offer him anything else any other Knights player would get. Belleville wins by acquiring picks they've traded away the last couple of years. They're rebuilding this year too, doubt McCarron would have wanted any part of that anyways.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:04 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
McCarron is coming to London because Montreal paid him to come here by giving him a contract. The Hunter's didn't have to offer him anything else any other Knights player would get. Belleville wins by acquiring picks they've traded away the last couple of years. They're rebuilding this year too, doubt McCarron would have wanted any part of that anyways.
I just think it's silly that Hunter gets all the accolades for Stolarz, he was a 2nd round pick in the NHL every other OHL GMs knew about him, to argue otherwise would be pure folly.

Trust me I am not upset at Stolarz I think it's fitting he acted like a hired gun and soiled his pants in the OHL Final and Memorial Cup. He rode into town like a cowboy but as the saying goes big hat no cattle.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:11 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I've read, but I don't think Spits fans are jealous or bitter about Stolarz. Frankly, I don't care either way.

Quote:
MArks having the success at his job, that Spits fans would love to see Warren having.
I have pics to show Warren had success It's all a matter of what you define as "success."

As for McCarron - I can see some persuasion being involved, especially if schooling is at the forefront.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:02 AM
NHL Fanatic

It seemed as if McCarron was destined to go to the Knights regardless of which round he was drafted in once his rights were acquired by the club. He isn't an offensively dynamo per say but it will be very interesting to see how he develops under the Hunters. He is very physical and uses his size well. Not a bad skater considering his size, but it could use work.

Sometimes people forget that a lot of credit should go to London's scouting staff. They have one of the largest scouting groups in the OHL with a very good track record. The coaches do a very good job developing their players. They just have to finish at the Memorial Cup. Good luck to them because it definitely won't be handed to them. Third time the charm?

Old
07-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I just think it's silly that Hunter gets all the accolades for Stolarz, he was a 2nd round pick in the NHL every other OHL GMs knew about him, to argue otherwise would be pure folly.

Trust me I am not upset at Stolarz I think it's fitting he acted like a hired gun and soiled his pants in the OHL Final and Memorial Cup. He rode into town like a cowboy but as the saying goes big hat no cattle.
I dunno man, his stats were pretty good for a tender in his first half season in the O. I think not pulling through had more to do with the team but that is up for debate depending on the game you speak of.
Ya all teams knew about him, but it was Hunter and Rychel that offered him a starting job at the beginning of the year. He told Rychel to stuff it and Hunter a maybe. Kudos to Hunter for keeping that line in the water and midway through the year he went back to the fishing hole and caught him a beauty. He will be a difference maker this year and if you didn't regret signing him this year, next year should be the final nail. After all like you said....2nd rd nhl pick....

Old
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I dunno man, his stats were pretty good for a tender in his first half season in the O. I think not pulling through had more to do with the team but that is up for debate depending on the game you speak of.
Ya all teams knew about him, but it was Hunter and Rychel that offered him a starting job at the beginning of the year. He told Rychel to stuff it and Hunter a maybe. Kudos to Hunter for keeping that line in the water and midway through the year he went back to the fishing hole and caught him a beauty. He will be a difference maker this year and if you didn't regret signing him this year, next year should be the final nail. After all like you said....2nd rd nhl pick....
A more accurate portrayal of what went on was Windsor had an arrangement with a NHL team not Philly who would have steered him to Windsor,once Philly drafted him the scenario changed and the rest is history
Now that he is the property of the graveyard for goalies the Philly Flyers,it will be interesting to see which London goalie alumnus gets screwed up 1st he or Steve Mason
As for his performance last yr,good not great not surprised that a rookie goalie could not his team to the ultimate prize it is rarely done,in fact he could not lead his team to win the league finals,same with Patterson rookie goalie not surprisingly unable to
lead his team to the ultimate prize either,though I am not criticizing either for London not winning the Mem Cup,only pointing out rookie tenders rarely win it all
Unless the Knights pick up Palazeese,the Knights may win next year in spite of their goaltending,not because of it

Old
07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

You should have said chance to play for a winning team at home lol,and I am not
sad Windsor was not gifted with hosting the mem cup,afterall the Bud seats 2500
more people and with the profits diivided 20 ways for the OHL teams I personally want to thank the London fans for paying Windsor"s fine,a delicious irony
As for bitterness re Stolarz I dont think so,as for the import draft ,cant help it when other parties lie ie Leksand Sweden,besides Windsor waited a year before Kuhnhackl came over and it worked out fine
London wasted 6000 dollars to select their 2 guys and they will see the light of day,
and they cant trade them either

Old
07-18-2013, 10:57 AM
nelli27

Quote:
And how many other times has he done this with players? Must have just been a lucky trade by Mark.
After the Spitfires organization was found guilty last year of those violations, were you not the Windsor fan in an earlier thread who still defended Windsor's recruiting tactics? I thought that you conceded Windsor's wrongdoing, and then remarked that, even still, it's better to offer favours to players (i.e. it's ok to cheat) to get them to come to Windsor than to not have these players come. In essence, then, weren't you defending the violation of league rules when it works to Windsor's advantage?
Now, I'm not mentioning this because I think the Hunters are doing the same. To date, the league has not ruled that the Hunters have violated any rules. The Knights organization draft 'flyers', often from the USNDP and in later rounds, and hope that these players will commit to a first-class organization that will only benefit their development. There are no rules prohibiting other teams from doing the same. If I'm Sudbury or Kingston, why not take a chance in a later round on a 'flyer'? If the player refuses to report, and will only, say, play for London, then these teams should try to milk the Hunters for him! That's an option.
It seems then that you have a problem with London's tactics which violate no rules according to the league, and yet in that earlier thread you're willing to defend Windsor's underhanded tactics that were violations? Would you kindly explain? If I've mistaken you for someone else then I apologize. Also note that there are no insulting or personal remarks in this post directed against you. Just wanting clarification...thanks.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
aresknights

Stolarz said no to Windsor and yes to London.
This "well one team, if they drafted him, wanted him to come here" but since they didnt......
Warren wanted to land him in Windsor and couldn't get it done.
Not really a tough choice for Stolarz, IMO

Import draft- fail again. Cry about liars if ya want but maybe just maybe there's a bit of arrogance leading the show in Windsor. Figuring they'd get it done no matter the obvious hurdles that were in place. It's all about calculated risks- regardless of what you think will happen-they took one- bad choice - again.

Glad you are happy thou that Windsor didnt get the Cup lol. That makes no sense the way you rationalize it, cause we split 1/20th of the profit. I'm sure the city and org would benefit much more from hosting it but hey, whatever...,,

Last edited by aresknights: 07-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old
07-18-2013, 11:09 AM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Weird...I thought Montague was just praising the Knights when they were up there a few months ago playing.

It comes down to ownership. Teams go through cycles with bad owners and good owners and they reflect the product on the ice. The Hunters never needed gifts to make their team good. Look back at their 2000 and 2001 drafts that yielded future NHLers like Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Marc Methot, Kyle Quincey, Dave Bolland, etc. Right when the Knights were still the laughing stock of the West and they drafted and developed those players just like they did with the majority of this team for the last 3 seasons.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
aresknights

Good memory Neili.
He did call out Branch claiming his meddling ( by that I mean enforcing league rules voted on by board, who are voted in by owners) would hurt the league and we needed the US stars here.
Guess that's only good for the league if they are a Spit

Old
07-18-2013, 11:25 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
This "well one team, if they drafted him, wanted him to come here" but since they didnt......

Import draft- fail again. Cry about liars if ya want but maybe just maybe there's a bit of arrogance leading the show in Windsor. Figuring they'd get it fine no matter the obvious hurdles that were in place. It's all about calculated risks- regardless of what you think will happen-they took one- bad choice - again.

Glad you are happy thou that Windsor didnt get the Cup lol. That makes no sense the way you rationalize it, cause we split 1/20th of the profit. I'm sure the city and org would benefit much more from hosting it but hey, whatever...,,
We already know Hunter never failed at the import draft

Sincerely
Vladdy Roth
Adam Hasani
Alex Ivanov
Mathis Olimb
Ivan Khomutov
Vadim Karaga

I am shocked such a hard working GM like Mark Hunter would select such players in the import draft. Unless you're willing to categorize those as FAILS!!!

He must have forgotten to work hard those times around.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:38 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
After the Spitfires organization was found guilty last year of those violations, were you not the Windsor fan in an earlier thread who still defended Windsor's recruiting tactics? I thought that you conceded Windsor's wrongdoing, and then remarked that, even still, it's better to offer favours to players (i.e. it's ok to cheat) to get them to come to Windsor than to not have these players come. In essence, then, weren't you defending the violation of league rules when it works to Windsor's advantage?
Now, I'm not mentioning this because I think the Hunters are doing the same. To date, the league has not ruled that the Hunters have violated any rules. The Knights organization draft 'flyers', often from the USNDP and in later rounds, and hope that these players will commit to a first-class organization that will only benefit their development. There are no rules prohibiting other teams from doing the same. If I'm Sudbury or Kingston, why not take a chance in a later round on a 'flyer'? If the player refuses to report, and will only, say, play for London, then these teams should try to milk the Hunters for him! That's an option.
It seems then that you have a problem with London's tactics which violate no rules according to the league, and yet in that earlier thread you're willing to defend Windsor's underhanded tactics that were violations? Would you kindly explain? If I've mistaken you for someone else then I apologize. Also note that there are no insulting or personal remarks in this post directed against you. Just wanting clarification...thanks.
I defended it because nobody except the league and the organization knows what they did. This goes back to my long standing comment that the league needs more/better transparency. Windsor needs to accept their medicine but when the league reduces the penalties on a franchise and the franchise won't appeal the penalties then it looks poor upon the league on jumping the gun and making a rush to judgment.

Trust me this stuff with McCarron is no different on how I felt when Kitchener got Matt Lashoff when the Soo traded his rights and almost immediately like magic he reported to the Rangers.

I believe the OHL is the most crooked professional sports organization going, even worse than the steroid scandal in baseball but at that time there were no rules against it. The problem is Branch is trying to clean it up but has done an absolutely horrendous job of it. I said at that time Windsor would be the only OHL team penalized by this, not because they are the only team that does it but Branch needed to make an example of a team to show GMs and governors that these rules have teeth. When you still have a player like Domi picking his destination Branch looks like a horrible commissioner but since the Knights had to move draft picks to get him it makes things fine.

So if you believe the Hunter's are doing this as well why are you so critical of Windsor since they get caught. So you come from the school if you're not cheating you're not trying but will criticize others for those thoughts?

Old
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Import draft- fail again. Cry about liars if ya want but maybe just maybe there's a bit of arrogance leading the show in Windsor. Figuring they'd get it done no matter the obvious hurdles that were in place. It's all about calculated risks- regardless of what you think will happen-they took one- bad choice - again.

Wonder how Stolarz feels about being yanked about both in the league finals and the mem cup tourney if it was a simple choice
As for the import draft way too early to call it a fail,I would think if Hunter knew 99 per cent chance of a player coming he would do it,thats what Rychel did,cant see how its a fail,especially if the player shows up next yr,ala Kuhnhackl
As listed above Hunters draft of Euros is far from perfect

Old
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
aresknights

Quote:
We already know Hunter never failed at the import draft

Sincerely
Vladdy Roth
Adam Hasani
Alex Ivanov
Mathis Olimb
Ivan Khomutov
Vadim Karaga

I am shocked such a hard working GM like Mark Hunter would select such players in the import draft. Unless you're willing to categorize those as FAILS!!!

He must have forgotten to work hard those times around.
Be a smart ..... if ya like.
Out working, working hard doesnt guarantee success ( I mentioned all teams have at times failed in the import draft) what it does do however is allow u to be successful more often. Calculated risks my friend.
Nice list there, a few we were able to flip for minor assets others were busts, but how many were picked as early as Warrens Fail? Bad pick considering the circumstances. Really wasted a shot at having an impact guy.

And again you don't respond to questions , retorts in Earlier posts responding to yours.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Wonder how Stolarz feels about being yanked about both in the league finals and the mem cup tourney if it was a simple choice
As for the import draft way too early to call it a fail,I would think if Hunter knew 99 per cent chance of a player coming he would do it,thats what Rychel did,cant see how its a fail,especially if the player shows up next yr,ala Kuhnhackl
As listed above Hunters draft of Euros is far from perfect
Yes stolarz is happy he got to play for an OHl champ and experienced the Memorial Cup with his TEAM.
Much happier than if he'd a go e to the Spits and not mad the POs.
HL not sure what point you were trying to make lol

I do look at he DLR situation as a fail. I even wanted him to show up.
With the team Windsor has, the events of the last two years, they needed a player with a pick that high. Didnt get it done. Hate er the excuse, didnt get it done.
Excuses are the nails that built the house of failure, but hey keep bringing em up

Old
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Be a smart ..... if ya like.
Out working, working hard doesnt guarantee success ( I mentioned all teams have at times failed in the import draft) what it does do however is allow u to be successful more often. Calculated risks my friend.
Nice list there, a few we were able to flip for minor assets others were busts, but how many were picked as early as Warrens Fail? Bad pick considering the circumstances. Really wasted a shot at having an impact guy.

And again you don't respond to questions , retorts in Earlier posts responding to yours.
I respond to Nelli, you didn't seem to ask any questions and let's put it this way with London fans it's black or white with them there is never a shade of grey.

Vladimir Roth 11th overall is that close enough?

Old
07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights4Cup View Post

The Hunters never needed gifts to make their team good. Look back at their 2000 and 2001 drafts that yielded future NHLers like Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Marc Methot, Kyle Quincey, Dave Bolland, etc. Right when the Knights were still the laughing stock of the West and they drafted and developed those players just like they did with the majority of this team for the last 3 seasons.
The City of London gave the Hunters the biggest gift of all in the 9000 seat, money printing barn. Don't kid yourself.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yes stolarz is happy he got to play for an OHl champ and experienced the Memorial Cup with his TEAM.
Much happier than if he'd a go e to the Spits and not mad the POs.
HL not sure what point you were trying to make lol

I do look at he DLR situation as a fail. I even wanted him to show up.
With the team Windsor has, the events of the last two years, they needed a player with a pick that high. Didnt get it done. Hate er the excuse, didnt get it done.
Excuses are the nails that built the house of failure, but hey keep bringing em up
And a pleasurable experience er failure it was Im sure
I dont use excuses only factors and reasons
The Roth example was a good one by Rayzor u have to admit,at least this kid
Windsor drafted might be here

Old
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
nelli27

Quote:
I defended it because nobody except the league and the organization knows what they did. This goes back to my long standing comment that the league needs more/better transparency. Windsor needs to accept their medicine but when the league reduces the penalties on a franchise and the franchise won't appeal the penalties then it looks poor upon the league on jumping the gun and making a rush to judgment.

Trust me this stuff with McCarron is no different on how I felt when Kitchener got Matt Lashoff when the Soo traded his rights and almost immediately like magic he reported to the Rangers.

I believe the OHL is the most crooked professional sports organization going, even worse than the steroid scandal in baseball but at that time there were no rules against it. The problem is Branch is trying to clean it up but has done an absolutely horrendous job of it. I said at that time Windsor would be the only OHL team penalized by this, not because they are the only team that does it but Branch needed to make an example of a team to show GMs and governors that these rules have teeth. When you still have a player like Domi picking his destination Branch looks like a horrible commissioner but since the Knights had to move draft picks to get him it makes things fine.

So if you believe the Hunter's are doing this as well why are you so critical of Windsor since they get caught. So you come from the school if you're not cheating you're not trying but will criticize others for those thoughts?
Thank you for your response.

Your earlier comments paint somewhat of a different picture. See "Official Windsor Spitfires 2012-2013 Thread (Part 3):

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "Bingo and recruiting is a dirty game. Some people will go in the pit and get dirty others will watch and blow the whistle". (Aug. 10, 2012, 12:26pm, post #261)

Rayzor is Dull wrote: [in response to a poster who replied to you, "Defending the indefensible?"]
"No it's just the way it is. John Calipari cheats and wins and doesn't get caught in college basketball. It happens and Windsor still won 2 Cups no big deal". (ibid, post #265)

Then consider your statement, quoted only in part here....(but it wouldn't help your cause to quote the entire comment).

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "...this will open the door for top prospects to spurn the OHL and go to the NCAA".

These quotes seem to support your defense of Windsor's tactics. I wasn't doing any criticizing in my previous post, just asking for clarification because your position seemed rather hypocritical to me as is evidenced by the citations above.
You asked about my own thoughts on Hunter's tactics. I didn't say that they were cheating at all. Are they? I don't know. I will say this...IF London is in violation of any league rules, then the organization is deserving of punishment. As of today, they haven't been charged with any wrongdoing.

To say "it happens" or "that's just the way it is" or "no big deal" implies acceptance of the wrong doing, or at least toleration, rather than condemnation.

Perhaps the current league rules allow a team like London to enjoy certain advantages. As a partial observer, I'm ok with that! I mentioned in my previous post what teams like Sudbury, Kingston, etc... can do about it. Take flyers too in later rounds, then ransom them to the Knights for high draft picks and/or a roster player.

Given your previous comments, I was surprised that you'd criticize the Hunters' tactics while considering Windsor's violations "no big deal", "just the way it is".

In any case, thanks for the clarification.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
hockeylegend11

I for one dont have a problem with the Knights getting American born players,and I agree
with those who say a team must make it attractive vis-a-vis,building reputation,coaching,
reasonable to exceptional success,etc
The OHL since 2000 have only 4 mem cup champs- Windsor X2,London Kitchener,while the Q and the WHL have 5 each
It is no fluke that all 3 OHL team champs have utilized American talent to their benefit
not sure why they should be critized for it
Was there underhandedness in those cases perhaps but has never been made public
In the McCarron case,Knights caught a break when the Habs signed him making him ineligible NCAA wise,,cant help their stupidity,so London got the goods,not going to
begrudge them
If they win the Mem cup it wont be because of him,he is only a piece of a large puzzle

Closed Thread