HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Yes. A solid goalie. It's also possible he might be the next Raycroft, who knows. But if he can keep his play up, he will do well. But he's on now a division rival, so you show no mercy and score as many as you can.
Raycroft? Really? How does that comparison work? Bobrovsky's stats at this point are already clearly superior to Raycroft's. He only had one solid year. Bob has already put together two, and has the mental ability to keep it going.

07-17-2013, 04:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I mean Raycroft in the sense of having a small portion of his career being successful. Every goalie could run into this.

Regardless, you really do need to move on, Beef. Look forward with Mason and Emery for the upcoming year and look forward to Stolarz, who we even got via the Bob trade. Smile, look forward, don't look back, because if you look back, it will just make you blind to what new adventures await.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I mean Raycroft in the sense of having a small portion of his career being successful. Every goalie could run into this.

Regardless, you really do need to move on, Beef. Look forward with Mason and Emery for the upcoming year and look forward to Stolarz, who we even got via the Bob trade. Smile, look forward, don't look back, because if you look back, it will just make you blind to what new adventures await.
Dude, what?

I AM looking forward when it comes to the Flyers. That doesn't mean I'm not going to address what I see as incorrect statements. "Bob never would have succeeded here" is one such baseless claim.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Damaged Goods

I am now more certain than ever that the Flyers should have avoided Bryzgalov and kept Bobrovsky.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:15 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, what?

I AM looking forward when it comes to the Flyers. That doesn't mean I'm not going to address what I see as incorrect statements. "Bob never would have succeeded here" is one such baseless claim.
How is that baseless? They had just signed a goalie to a 9 year $50M contract. How was he going to have the success he achieved this season on the Flyers?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
How is that baseless? They had just signed a goalie to a 9 year $50M contract. How was he going to have the success he achieved this season on the Flyers?
Whoops, sorry. I misread what you meant, which I've been doing a lot around these forums lately . I didn't think you meant he wouldn't get the opportunity, but that he didn't have the ability. My sincere bad.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:23 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I am now more certain than ever that the Flyers should have avoided Bryzgalov and kept Bobrovsky.

the power of hindsight!

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueJacket View Post
I stumbled upon this article titled "Flyers are better off having traded Bobrovsky" written by Tim Panaccio, posted a month ago (June 17)

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...aded-bobrovsky

I'm curios how many Flyers fans agree or disagree with Tim.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the situation from a Flyers perspective.

It was a good move for Bob, who didn't and doesn't deserve to be buried behind Bryz.

But, honestly, we blew the entire situation with him. He should have never played that first season in the NHL(develop him longer), and after we went with him, it was just dumb to not just roll with him and grow.

I don't think he would be the player here that he was last year in CBJ, but we gave up on him too soon.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Lomark

On a similar note. Joacim Eriksson never got signed even though he has shown alot of promise in the SEL, won the league and posted a 1.06 GAA and .952% in 10 playoff games. He'll be a NHL starter within 2 years.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
On a similar note. Joacim Eriksson never got signed even though he has shown alot of promise in the SEL, won the league and posted a 1.06 GAA and .952% in 10 playoff games. He'll be a NHL starter within 2 years.
Something had to have been weird there though. Just because the Flyers didn't sign him doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to... something smelled fishy with that situation.

07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
We'll see about that. The goaltending position is too much of wildcard to talk in absolutes.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Something had to have been weird there though. Just because the Flyers didn't sign him doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to... something smelled fishy with that situation.
I remember Melzter saying they had to make a decision. Him or whoever the nutjob was that failed in Trenton.

They just made the wrong choice.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I remember Melzter saying they had to make a decision. Him or whoever the nutjob was that failed in Trenton.

They just made the wrong choice.
Eriksson's two years were running up and he didn't want to come over yet. The Flyers went with the "nutjob" (I can't remember his name right now) because he was willing to come over at the time. They wanted a guy for the minors.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Eriksson's two years were running up and he didn't want to come over yet. The Flyers went with the "nutjob" (I can't remember his name right now) because he was willing to come over at the time. They wanted a guy for the minors.
Nutjob...

Kovar?
DeSerres?
Backlund?

I don't remember, just throwing names at you.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:10 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Well, he's over in Vancouver now. Let's see how he can handle the NHL (that is if Eddie Lack doesn't take that spot as the backup).

Old
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Hiesenberg

Terrible, nobody can remember this guys name.

Hovinen.

I think he had the stature and played more, so the Flyers banked on that. He came over, was god awful in NA. They cut him loose and he went back to EU.

No wait, maybe that wasn't him either. I'm confused now.

Yea. It was him:

Quote:
Niko Hovinen will leave the organization. Are the Flyers looking to add a contract?

Niko Hovinen hasn't adjusted well to North America. The Flyers had high hopes for the big goaltender from Finland as he made the jump this year, perhaps even thinking he could be an AHL starter.

But his game just hasn't panned out, and through bad injury luck and what many believe to be plain old work ethic issues, he lost his starting gig with the ECHL's Trenton Titans to Scott Wedgewood, a Devils prospect. Wedgewood has played 28 games to Hovinen's 16, and the big Finn compiled a .889 save percentage and a goals against average over three in those games. Just brutal stuff.

So, the Flyers are letting him walk. Up against the 50 contract limit, Hovinen has been placed on unconditional waivers. The two sides will mutually terminate his contract, a move the Flyers last pulled off with Joonas Lehtivuori back during training camp in 2011. In that case, the Flyers were also up against the limit and wanted the flexibility to potentially add a player to the NHL roster following camp. So, let's ask the question: Are the Flyers looking to add somebody?

Scott Laughton doesn't count against the contract limit if he's sent back to juniors after five games, but with Scott Hartnell out indefinitely with a foot injury, it certainly looks like Laughton is staying around. Danny Briere and Zac Rinaldo will be back in due time, but they count against the limit regardless.

Could the Flyers be looking elsewhere for help, either at forward or on defense?

Old
07-18-2013, 09:12 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Terrible, nobody can remember this guys name.

Hovinen
Attitude was his problem. Not the Flyers organization. Didn't do that well in the AHL, got sent down, stopped caring because he was sent down, did even worse.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Nutjob...

Kovar?
DeSerres?
Backlund?

I don't remember, just throwing names at you.
It was in quotations because the the OP referred to Hovinen as that not me. I seriously was drawing blanks trying to think of his actual name.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Attitude was his problem. Not the Flyers organization. Didn't do that well in the AHL, got sent down, stopped caring because he was sent down, did even worse.
Definitely Hovinen didn't handle it professionally but I recall reading somewhere (maybe Meltzer) that the way the organization handled him wasn't ideal either but can't recall the argument..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Hiesenberg

Nutjob was a bad term, I just couldn't remember his name and I know there were attitude issues there.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Not convinced either. He showed that he can be very very good, and great at times, but let's see if he can keep that up in an 82 game season, especially when more than likely he's going to have to start at least 65+ of them.
im not convinced that Mason or Emery are as good as Bobrovsky is. yet some want to proclaim Mason as the guy based on a 6 game tryout with zero pressure.
Both our goaltenders have question marks going into this season for different reasons.

EDIT: I am not saying Mason cannot turn his career around. I just think a 6 game stretch where he was very good is any indication he can turn it around. Especially considering how bad he was in the prior 3 years. I want to see how he reacts to adversity in Philly. Wait until the vultures in the media turn on him if he struggles.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It was in quotations because the the OP referred to Hovinen as that not me. I seriously was drawing blanks trying to think of his actual name.
I wasn't calling you out that was more of me saying nutjob to myself in a pensive tone, like I was trying to think.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
im not convinced that Mason or Emery are as good as Bobrovsky is. yet some want to proclaim Mason as the guy based on a 6 game tryout with zero pressure.
Both our goaltenders have question marks going into this season for different reasons.

EDIT: I am not saying Mason cannot turn his career around. I just think a 6 game stretch where he was very good is any indication he can turn it around. Especially considering how bad he was in the prior 3 years. I want to see how he reacts to adversity in Philly. Wait until the vultures in the media turn on him if he struggles.
I think Mason has a good chance of turning it around. He's 24. He got through a lot of growing pains with Columbus.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I think Mason has a good chance of turning it around. He's 24. He got through a lot of growing pains with Columbus.
Here's to hoping, eh?

Old
07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Doubt it, he signed with Vancouver who has Lolongo in net for the next 100 years

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote