HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2013, 02:37 AM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

vCash: 500
And for this draft, I think the Habs should go with a defenseman with top 4 stay at home and physical upside in the first round or another winger/centre with size and top six upside, preferably Hayden Fleury or Leon Draisatl and/or Jarred McCann.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 07-18-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old
07-18-2013, 07:29 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHabs97 View Post
2014 is looking weak compared to 2013.
Agreed, the top 10 is pretty weak compared to 2013.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Can we fast forward to 2015 please? I'd rather discuss about McDavid and Barzal!

Old
07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
And for this draft, I think the Habs should go with a defenseman with top 4 stay at home and physical upside in the first round or another winger/centre with size and top six upside, preferably Hayden Fleury or Leon Draisatl and/or Jarred McCann.
I just want the Habs to get Nick Ritchie, Nick Schmaltz and Daniel Audette in 2014. Then I'll be happy to fast forward to the 2015 Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Agreed, the top 10 is pretty weak compared to http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/im...es/nod.gif2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Can we fast forward to 2015 please? I'd rather discuss about McDavid and Barzal!
McDavid or Barzal are probably going 1stB & 1stC and the separate lottery will be for Nick Ehlers 1stA the Greatest Dane yet. 2015.

Quote:
This!!
Looking ahead if the Habs are going to have a bad year, this one would definitely qualify as a good one for the draft at least.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-20-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old
07-20-2013, 01:15 PM
kernkraft

Anybody know what range if any Kelly Summers is likely to be picked? If at all?

My good friend and his wife were his billet family out in Carleton Place. He won the CCHL rookie of the year and is heading to Clarkson next season.

Is he even on the radar?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152175

Old
07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I just want the Habs to get Nick Ritchie, Nick Schmaltz and Daniel Audette in 2014. Then I'll be happy to fast forward to the 2015 Draft.
I also have my eyes on Ritchie and Schmaltz, but not so much on Audette.

Quote:
Looking ahead if the Habs are going to have a bad year, this one would definitely qualify as a good one for the draft at least.
You're right. It's not 2013 quality but its still a good draft, like you stated.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I also have my eyes on Ritchie and Schmaltz, but not so much on Audette.

You're right. It's not 2013 quality but its still a good draft, like you stated.
Yes there is good talent every year, but 2015 may have three of the best ever in one draft. Ehlers, McDavid and Barzal have the type of talent that each should require a Lottery for teams that miss the playoffs, to be followed by a Lottery deciding the 1st pick for the teams that lose on the Top Three. If the Habs are going to falter and be out of the playoffs that's the one to miss the playoffs and acquire as many 1st round picks as possible. Audette if he's like his father, he will be worth a 2nd round pick no matter how small he happens to be.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Anybody know what range if any Kelly Summers is likely to be picked? If at all?

My good friend and his wife were his billet family out in Carleton Place. He won the CCHL rookie of the year and is heading to Clarkson next season.

Is he even on the radar?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152175
I asked about him a while ago but never got an answer. Could make a name for himself with a good showing in the NCAA in his draft year.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Leon Draisaitl is likely a top 10 pick.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
DAChampion

If we trade vets for draft picks this year, I think we should trade for 2015 1st rounders, in the hopes that one of those teams spontaneously combusts like Montreal did in 2012.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:59 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Yes there is good talent every year, but 2015 may have three of the best ever in one draft. Ehlers, McDavid and Barzal have the type of talent that each should require a Lottery for teams that miss the playoffs, to be followed by a Lottery deciding the 1st pick for the teams that lose on the Top Three. If the Habs are going to falter and be out of the playoffs that's the one to miss the playoffs and acquire as many 1st round picks as possible. Audette if he's like his father, he will be worth a 2nd round pick no matter how small he happens to be.
Totally agree with this, but only if the Habs falter in 2015.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:19 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Totally agree with this, but only if the Habs falter in 2015.
The Habs have to break in the rookie forwards and 2015 looks to be the year most of them will be ready. That's makes the summer before the 2014/2015 season, the time to trade veterans for draft choices and bring in Collberg, McCarron, Bournival, and B.Ritchie if they can trade for him this summer.

Having all of those rookies are going to make it tough on the backend, but better to get it done in one year than drag it out over 3-4 yrs. If they miss the playoffs, then they have an opportunity for a great player. If they make the playoffs with the rookies then their development and the backend is really good, so win/win.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:41 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
The Habs have to break in the rookie forwards and 2015 looks to be the year most of them will be ready. That's makes the summer before the 2014/2015 season, the time to trade veterans for draft choices and bring in Collberg, McCarron, Bournival, and B.Ritchie if they can trade for him this summer.

Having all of those rookies are going to make it tough on the backend, but better to get it done in one year than drag it out over 3-4 yrs. If they miss the playoffs, then they have an opportunity for a great player. If they make the playoffs with the rookies then their development and the backend is really good, so win/win.
What do you mean by that?

Other than that, I agree with your post.

Collberg will be ready to take Briere's spot in a couple years, and McCarron and Bournival should be ready to get their feet wet in the NHL. Bealieu and Tinordi will have established their spots on the team by 2015. Gallagher and Galchenyuk should be ready to take Plekanec and Gionta's spots and Eller will be given a top 6 centre role. (BEST CASE SCENARIO)

Last edited by AJMHABS: 07-21-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:

Collberg will be ready to take Briere's spot in a couple years, and McCarron and Bournival should be ready to get their feet wet in the NHL. Bealieu and Tinordi will have established their spots on the team by 2015. Gallagher and Galchenyuk should be ready to take Plekanec and Gionta's spots and Eller will be given a top 6 centre role.
Quick, show me your crystal ball! I want to know the lottery numbers!

Old
07-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Quick, show me your crystal ball! I want to know the lottery numbers!
My previous post was just a best case scenario. Calm down there, Sparky!!

Old
07-23-2013, 03:37 AM
S Bah

Quote:

Collberg will be ready to take Briere's spot in a couple years, and McCarron and Bournival should be ready to get their feet wet in the NHL. Bealieu and Tinordi will have established their spots on the team by 2015. Gallagher and Galchenyuk should be ready to take Plekanec and Gionta's spots and Eller will be given a top 6 centre role. (BEST CASE SCENARIO)
I just notice a trend toward trades for younger players, to ease the Salary Cap issues I assume. Anyway I'd love to see the Habs trade for Brett Ritchie playing next season for the Texas Stars. Dallas has A.Chaisson, Ray Whitney and Erik Cole ahead of him at RW, so that's a player that would be a great pickup and Dallas has been a trading partner for the Habs. Nick Ritchie is Brett's brother and is available next summer in the draft. Both are talented PWF's, Nick is 6'2" and 219 lbs. and Brett is 6'4" and 215 lbs. Just players that I think the Habs could trade for before Brett reaches the NHL, and draft Nick next summer.

I think they would be great on a line with Eller, Plekanec or Galchenyuk. Just a Christmas gift early for me.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Leon Draisaitl is likely a top 10 pick.
That's only if the Habs don't make the playoffs, they should target Draisatl.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:56 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
I just notice a trend toward trades for younger players, to ease the Salary Cap issues I assume. Anyway I'd love to see the Habs trade for Brett Ritchie playing next season for the Texas Stars. Dallas has A.Chaisson, Ray Whitney and Erik Cole ahead of him at RW, so that's a player that would be a great pickup and Dallas has been a trading partner for the Habs. Nick Ritchie is Brett's brother and is available next summer in the draft. Both are talented PWF's, Nick is 6'2" and 219 lbs. and Brett is 6'4" and 215 lbs. Just players that I think the Habs could trade for before Brett reaches the NHL, and draft Nick next summer.

I think they would be great on a line with Eller, Plekanec or Galchenyuk. Just a Christmas gift early for me.
These two players should be retiring soon, so I think Dallas is going to need B. Ritchie to replace them.

And I would love to draft Nick Ritchie, but I am curious as to what his upside is. Can he play in our top 6?

Last edited by AJMHABS: 07-25-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
S Bah

Quote:
These two ayers should be retiring soon, so I think Dallas is going to need B. Ritchie to replace them.

And I would love to draft Nick Ritchie, but I am curious as to what his upside is. Can he play in our top 6?
He's following in his brother's footsteps basically different team but OHL top ten absolutely and a 1st round pick between 15-20 if the Habs get lucky. With a dearth of LW still, Rene Bourque being a natural RW the Habs could really benefit having his size and talent in a couple more years. Top Six 2nd line Hab with upside 1st line.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
He's following in his brother's footsteps basically different team but OHL top ten absolutely and a 1st round pick between 15-20 if the Habs get lucky. With a dearth of LW still, Rene Bourque being a natural RW the Habs could really benefit having his size and talent in a couple more years. Top Six 2nd line Hab with upside 1st line.
We can use a player like him in our top 6 on the LW, but I feel as though its not as urgent as getting more depth on defence since Beaulieu and Tinordi will join the NHL ranks in a couple years, but another top 6 LW is still a big need.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
S Bah

Quote:
We can use a player like him in our top 6 on the LW, but I feel as though its not as urgent as getting more depth on defence since Beaulieu and Tinordi will join the NHL ranks in a couple years, but another top 6 LW is still a big need.
I had hoped the Habs would draft J.Diaby at their 55th pick but we took Lekhonen, which one can't argue with at that spot. A trade maybe for Gudbranson, probably better to trade for a higher pick this year and get a big physical Dman to play with Tinordi and Emelin against the likes of Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I had hoped the Habs would draft J.Diaby at their 55th pick but we took Lekhonen, which one can't argue with at that spot. A trade maybe for Gudbranson, probably better to trade for a higher pick this year and get a big physical Dman to play with Tinordi and Emelin against the likes of Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh.
Florida is not trading Gudbranson. They passed on Jones because they already had him.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Florida won't trade Gudbranson. They need him in the future. I think we should target a defenseman with physicality in the next draft.

About the 55th pick, I still would have picked Lehkonen over Diaby if there was a redo. The kid has stud potential.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Florida is not trading Gudbranson. They passed on Jones because they already had him.
I should have said dreaming instead of probably better to trade up in the draft.

Quote:
Florida won't trade Gudbranson. They need him in the future. I think we should target a defenseman with physicality in the next draft.

About the 55th pick, I still would have picked Lehkonen over Diaby if there was a redo. The kid has stud potential.
Yes hard to argue with that pick, he got some mad skills, he's just got to pack on some muscle.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
I should have said dreaming instead of probably better to trade up in the draft.

Yes hard to argue with that pick, he got some mad skills, he's just got to pack on some muscle.
Collberg is on the same boat as Lehkonen, as was Gallagher when he was drafted.

Closed Thread