Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
GangGreen

vCash: 500
Vladdy Roth had 2 decent seasons in London. May not have lived up to expectations the fans had, but Dale didn't like him as much as the fans. Hardly a fail.
All those other guys were late round filler.
I believe Olimb brought Drew Larman back in a trade too, and Karaga brought a draft pick from the Spits.

Rychel's arrogance brought on his own demise. Tolchinsky last year, then Burakovsky this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he never even bothered asking Leksands about De La Rose, probably just the Habs.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
Thank you for your response.

Your earlier comments paint somewhat of a different picture. See "Official Windsor Spitfires 2012-2013 Thread (Part 3):

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "Bingo and recruiting is a dirty game. Some people will go in the pit and get dirty others will watch and blow the whistle". (Aug. 10, 2012, 12:26pm, post #261)

Rayzor is Dull wrote: [in response to a poster who replied to you, "Defending the indefensible?"]
"No it's just the way it is. John Calipari cheats and wins and doesn't get caught in college basketball. It happens and Windsor still won 2 Cups no big deal". (ibid, post #265)

Then consider your statement, quoted only in part here....(but it wouldn't help your cause to quote the entire comment).

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "...this will open the door for top prospects to spurn the OHL and go to the NCAA".

These quotes seem to support your defense of Windsor's tactics. I wasn't doing any criticizing in my previous post, just asking for clarification because your position seemed rather hypocritical to me as is evidenced by the citations above.
You asked about my own thoughts on Hunter's tactics. I didn't say that they were cheating at all. Are they? I don't know. I will say this...IF London is in violation of any league rules, then the organization is deserving of punishment. As of today, they haven't been charged with any wrongdoing.

To say "it happens" or "that's just the way it is" or "no big deal" implies acceptance of the wrong doing, or at least toleration, rather than condemnation.

Perhaps the current league rules allow a team like London to enjoy certain advantages. As a partial observer, I'm ok with that! I mentioned in my previous post what teams like Sudbury, Kingston, etc... can do about it. Take flyers too in later rounds, then ransom them to the Knights for high draft picks and/or a roster player.

Given your previous comments, I was surprised that you'd criticize the Hunters' tactics while considering Windsor's violations "no big deal", "just the way it is".

In any case, thanks for the clarification.
lol wow, rayzor just go away you lose this arguement

Old
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
youngblood10

The OHL fixed this and the playing field is now level. Remeber they punished Windsor. So these players now find their way to the have not markets.

Oh no they don't now they all just go to London.... Who would have thought.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
Thank you for your response.

Your earlier comments paint somewhat of a different picture. See "Official Windsor Spitfires 2012-2013 Thread (Part 3):

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "Bingo and recruiting is a dirty game. Some people will go in the pit and get dirty others will watch and blow the whistle". (Aug. 10, 2012, 12:26pm, post #261)

Rayzor is Dull wrote: [in response to a poster who replied to you, "Defending the indefensible?"]
"No it's just the way it is. John Calipari cheats and wins and doesn't get caught in college basketball. It happens and Windsor still won 2 Cups no big deal". (ibid, post #265)

Then consider your statement, quoted only in part here....(but it wouldn't help your cause to quote the entire comment).

Rayzor is Dull wrote: "...this will open the door for top prospects to spurn the OHL and go to the NCAA".

These quotes seem to support your defense of Windsor's tactics. I wasn't doing any criticizing in my previous post, just asking for clarification because your position seemed rather hypocritical to me as is evidenced by the citations above.
You asked about my own thoughts on Hunter's tactics. I didn't say that they were cheating at all. Are they? I don't know. I will say this...IF London is in violation of any league rules, then the organization is deserving of punishment. As of today, they haven't been charged with any wrongdoing.

To say "it happens" or "that's just the way it is" or "no big deal" implies acceptance of the wrong doing, or at least toleration, rather than condemnation.

Perhaps the current league rules allow a team like London to enjoy certain advantages. As a partial observer, I'm ok with that! I mentioned in my previous post what teams like Sudbury, Kingston, etc... can do about it. Take flyers too in later rounds, then ransom them to the Knights for high draft picks and/or a roster player.

Given your previous comments, I was surprised that you'd criticize the Hunters' tactics while considering Windsor's violations "no big deal", "just the way it is".

In any case, thanks for the clarification.

The first post is true because other organizations don't have the clout to play these games because they don't have a big arena and bring in a lot of revenue.

It's true about Calipari in college football, basketball and junior hockey you have to offer extras to keep up I think that much is obvious. If it wasn't obvious then you wouldn't have Branch bring in people to police this stuff.

I stand by my statement that people will go to NCAA schools. There are 2 players from this years under 18 team to go to the OHL McCarron and Lebanc. In the case of Lebanc his scholarship offer from Notre Dame was revoked because his grades slipped. So I guess Barrie won out on that one but it doesn't seem Lebanc had anywhere else to go.

The acceptance from my statements have more to do with the way this is policed and the built in competitive advantages teams have over others.

I think your statement is way off base in regards to what teams like Sudbury and Kingston should do because it really isn't worth it for them. Look at the picks Belleville got in return a 2016 and 2018 2nd rounder? With the short life span of an OHL GM and job security scarce why would anybody want to deal the rights to a player and get a pick 3-5 years down the line when there's a great chance you aren't even a GM with that team. I know I wouldn't want to give a player away for a song when it's quite likely I will never reap the rewards for that trade. That's just a horrible use of assets.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
lol wow, rayzor just go away you lose this arguement
An Otters fan talking trash how have you enjoyed watching ineptitude for the last decade? Have fun with McDavid for 2 more years, you already wasted 1 year of him and still haven't put talent around him to succeed.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The OHL fixed this and the playing field is now level. Remeber they punished Windsor. So these players now find their way to the have not markets.

Oh no they don't now they all just go to London.... Who would have thought.
Bingo we have a winner. At least in college sports the NCAA has stopped pretending like they have any clout to continue to police these programs and this is why it's a free enterprise system now. I am still waiting for Steve Santini to put on his Peterborough Petes jersey and JT Compher to put on his Sarnia Sting jersey.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
Vladdy Roth had 2 decent seasons in London. May not have lived up to expectations the fans had, but Dale didn't like him as much as the fans. Hardly a fail.
All those other guys were late round filler.
I believe Olimb brought Drew Larman back in a trade too, and Karaga brought a draft pick from the Spits.

Rychel's arrogance brought on his own demise. Tolchinsky last year, then Burakovsky this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he never even bothered asking Leksands about De La Rose, probably just the Habs.
Roth picked 11th in the draft should have been an impact player but he was not just
ok,so yes a failed draft pick,,as for Rychel talking to Leksands he l gave way to Montreal and De LaRose"s agent to deal with Leksand as he should did not get the expected result
Burkakovsky was 1 of 5 players on their list yes,Washington told Erie to pick him and they would get him there,not much to do with Windsor
At the end of the day ,Windsor got 2 of the 5 names on their list,not a failure yet
in my opinion but in black and white world of some of the Ldn fans it was

Old
07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
GangGreen

Since you brought up Sarnia, what about Reid Boucher, Connor Murphy, and Anthony DeAngelo? Were they OHL first rounders? Nope, but they still reported to Sarnia. Shenanigans?
Were Compher and Santini NHL first round picks? Nope
How convenient of you to pick and choose your argument.
Read the McCarron thread on the Montreal board, and you'll see how McCarron told the Habs if they wanted him in London, they had to sign him to an ELC. Otherwise, I bet he goes to WMU.
Quit crying the blues, I'd expect this from Montague but not Windsor. It's not London's fault the Americans don't want to report to Windsor anymore, ie Schmaltz, Butcher, Barber, Allen etc.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Since you brought up Sarnia, what about Reid Boucher, Connor Murphy, and Anthony DeAngelo? Were they OHL first rounders? Nope, but they still reported to Sarnia. Shenanigans?
Read the McCarron thread on the Montreal board, and you'll see how McCarron told the Habs if they wanted him in London, they had to sign him to an ELC. Otherwise, I bet he goes to WMU.
Quit crying the blues, I'd expect this from Montague but not Windsor. It's not London's fault the Americans don't want to report to Windsor anymore, ie Schmaltz, Butcher, Barber, Allen etc.
You forgot Seiloff,Vail, Moore and speaking hockey only Ben Johnson,talk about selective

Old
07-18-2013, 03:27 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Roth picked 11th in the draft should have been an impact player but he was not just
ok,so yes a failed draft pick,,as for Rychel talking to Leksands he l gave way to Montreal and De LaRose"s agent to deal with Leksand as he should did not get the expected result
Burkakovsky was 1 of 5 players on their list yes,Washington told Erie to pick him and they would get him there,not much to do with Windsor
At the end of the day ,Windsor got 2 of the 5 names on their list,not a failure yet
So how is Roth a failed pick?
He was nowhere close to an Ionin.
And even then, London wasn't counting on Roth like Windsor was on your last 2 first import picks.
Have a great season Windsor.

Btw, What colour is the sky in your world?

Old
07-18-2013, 03:27 PM
bcspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
JT Compher to put on his Sarnia Sting jersey.
Saginaw still holds Compher's rights as an 11th round pick I believe so it would be strange to see him in a Sting sweater

Old
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
For London

Eamon McAdam,Anthony Louis,Trent Hamilton,Alex Kile why are they not in Ldn

Old
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Legend it's black and white with London fans towards 19 other teams but for their team there's always a shade of grey. Such as the OHL title means much more than the Memorial Cup championship. Hence my post about moving the goalposts 6 weeks ago. Notice it wasn't Mark Hunter's fault when the Spits were winning because the Spits were cheating hence their fans using the asterisk. They mention you using excuses but they use enough excuses to fill another Budweiser Gardens.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspirit View Post
Saginaw still holds Compher's rights as an 11th round pick I believe so it would be strange to see him in a Sting sweater
Spirit sweater my correction I think I was thinking of Tyler Motte.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

So how is Roth a failed pick?
He was nowhere close to an Ionin.
And even then, London wasn't counting on Roth like Windsor was on your last 2 first import picks.
Have a great season Windsor.

Btw, What colour is the sky in your world?
When a team picks 11th they expect impact,roth was not an impact player thus a failed pick
I can admit Windsor failure last yr,too bad u cant admit your failed picks

Old
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
So he just wanted the bonus and a contract sounds a little selfish to me. Looks like McCarron and his agent have mastered the course in hostage taking 101.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend it's black and white with London fans towards 19 other teams but for their team there's always a shade of grey. Such as the OHL title means much more than the Memorial Cup championship. Hence my post about moving the goalposts 6 weeks ago. Notice it wasn't Mark Hunter's fault when the Spits were winning because the Spits were cheating hence their fans using the asterisk. They mention you using excuses but they use enough excuses to fill another Budweiser Gardens.
Good pt Rayzor,tough to get concessions from those who are unreasonable

Old
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
An Otters fan talking trash how have you enjoyed watching ineptitude for the last decade? Have fun with McDavid for 2 more years, you already wasted 1 year of him and still haven't put talent around him to succeed.
My apologies, didn't mean to personally attack or offend you, could have worded my statement differently. I just found it humorous how he flipped your argument on you and showed you were being a bit hypocritical. Wasn't trying to "talk trash". And no, I have not enjoyed our ineptitude. It really has sucked. But saying that we "still haven't put talent around him" is preposterous. He's probably going to have Burakovsky and Brown on his wings this season. If that isnt talent, then I guess he will never have talent around him.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Gang Green I notice you bring Murphy, DeAngelo, and Boucher. All of that happened 2 years ago. Notice nobody else of that ilk has touched Sarnia since and Beaulieu is out as coach and gm. I am Beaulieu being dismissed had everything to do with the assault charge and nothing else, heck the matter hasn't even gone to court yet. The only teams in this league that have any clout to sign these type of guys are London, Kitchener, Plymouth, to a lesser extent Windsor and maybe you can include Saginaw but they haven't done anything on that front since Saad. Branch has instituted these archaic rules and has never spoke since why these other franchises can't attract these top guys.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
aresknights

Mark has made mistakes. And will make more, As does every other GM in every other sport. He does do it less often thou.

Mark outworks many of his peers.

Mark has been the recipient of good fortune and bad fortune ( Jenkins ) Just like every other team

The Hunters have built the Knights into a consistenly competitve team, a model franchise and a place that attracts NHL wannabes.

If Warren uses these last couple years as a learning exp, he and the team and fans be better off for it. Just as we were as Mark learned and grew into his role. Its noticeable the way they handle things a bit different now than their first 5 yrs.
If he figures hes got it all figured out and itd just bad luck, the same will continue.

Cant wait til both teams have legit rosters again. Imagine the boards then

Old
07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

Not that I want to wade into this pissing match but I've seen this stated time and time again.
How do Knights fans knows this as fact?
Was there a test or mileage/hours spent doing the GM job?

Or probably the Knights fans want this stated more so it becomes legendary fact!

Old
07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Mark has made mistakes. And will make more, As does every other GM in every other sport. He does do it less often thou.

Mark has been the recipient of good fortune and bad fortune ( Jenkins ) Just like every other team

The Hunters have built the Knights into a consistenly competitve team, a model franchise and a place that attracts NHL wannabes.

If Warren uses these last couple years as a learning exp, he and the team and fans be better off for it. Just as we were as Mark learned and grew into his role. Its noticeable the way they handle things a bit different now than their first 5 yrs.
If he figures hes got it all figured out and itd just bad luck, the same will continue.

Cant wait til both teams have legit rosters again. Imagine the boards then

Would agree with most of what u wrote,I only say last yr more so then the last 2
kinda thought they would finish 8th especially after dealing Campbell and Kuhnhack
prior to mid season and losing Koko 10 games prior to the playoffs
Last yr was a downer and not expected,2 years ago I expected it

Old
07-18-2013, 04:34 PM
aresknights

I see grey

Old
07-18-2013, 04:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I see grey
We know lol

Old
07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The City of London gave the Hunters the biggest gift of all in the 9000 seat, money printing barn. Don't kid yourself.
Huh? So you must not think very highly of the WFCU?

Closed Thread