HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2013-2014 NHL Schedules?

Old
07-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
You do realize it was only very recently the NHL started releasing the schedule this early, correct? I remember in the 90s and early 2000s it wasn't until September. Then for a few years it was August and the last few in mid-July. I forgot that on Hockeys Future, once they do something once, it means they have to do it every year for eternity. I have been checking nhl.com and not once have I seen a mention of the schedule being released.
I believe your memory is not be accurate in this case. I distinctly remember the late 90s/early 00s NHL schedule being released in early/mid July.

As a matter of fact, I remember the 1995-96 schedule being released in July 1995, and that had similar circumstances as this year (relocation possibilities, late SCF). I know this for a fact, because I remember going through the Jets schedule to pick out mini-pack games for my birthday.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
You honestly think the nhl cares about your travel arrangements? The schedule will come out soon. It may not be today or tomorrow, but it will be out soon. Then when it does you guys can find something else to whine about.
We're not expecting the NHL to care. But it should give some thought to fans looking to plan trips as that's money coming into the sport.

For us outside NA it's a big cost and can change at a hat. We need it sooner rather than later as prices can vary by hundreds of pounds/dollars over the course of a fortnight. That's a lot for some people.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:15 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
You honestly think the nhl cares about your travel arrangements? The schedule will come out soon. It may not be today or tomorrow, but it will be out soon. Then when it does you guys can find something else to whine about.
Maybe they should seeing as how desperate the NHL is for fans, you'd think they'd do a better job taking care of the fans they do have

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We're not expecting the NHL to care. But it should give some thought to fans looking to plan trips as that's money coming into the sport.
I believe the NHL does care about its fans' travel arrangements for this reason, but not nearly as much as about making the stay in Sochi as pleasant as possible for NHL management, NHL players and their families. That's why they have to prioritize.

In recent years the schedule has been released in late June, and that will probably be the case again from 2014 to 2016, but in 2017 we might be facing the same hassle. The Olympics in 2018 will be held in China, and that might spell trouble.

Lepardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
I believe the NHL does care about its fans' travel arrangements for this reason, but not nearly as much as about making the stay in Sochi as pleasant as possible for NHL management, NHL players and their families. That's why they have to prioritize.

In recent years the schedule has been released in late June, and that will probably be the case again from 2014 to 2016, but in 2017 we might be facing the same hassle. The Olympics in 2018 will be held in China, and that might spell trouble.
South Korea.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 424
Quote:

There are some who believe there will be no more participation in the Olympics after this one.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
South Korea.
True, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
There are some who believe there will be no more participation in the Olympics after this one.
That would probably be nice, cause then people could book their NHL vacations in June.

Old
07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Tell that to NBC, ABC, CBS or whoever covers the games, the ratings since 98 have probably skyrocketed thanks to the NHL players being there and considering that the winter olympics in the U.S. tend to draw markedly lower ratings than do the summer olympics I would not be surprised if the networks offer some sort of kickback or incentive to the league to keep the players going there.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
True, my bad.

That would probably be nice, cause then people could book their NHL vacations in June.
I'm not sure why the two should be considered mutually exclusive. The league knew where the winter olympics were going to be played all year. Granted, the lockout mixed things up...but why the heck didn't they resolve the issue in February or March or April? Again, it's a poorly managed sport run by a bunch of idiots.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I believe your memory is not be accurate in this case. I distinctly remember the late 90s/early 00s NHL schedule being released in early/mid July.

As a matter of fact, I remember the 1995-96 schedule being released in July 1995, and that had similar circumstances as this year (relocation possibilities, late SCF). I know this for a fact, because I remember going through the Jets schedule to pick out mini-pack games for my birthday.
I didn't live in Winnipeg, so no idea when you saw it in Canada. The internet was in its infancy, so in NYC area all we had was the newspaper. My friend and I would see the schedule for the first time in September and decide on which games to try to buy.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
patnyrnyg

Well, I wouldn't count on seeing anything anytime soon:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
07-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm not sure why the two should be considered mutually exclusive. The league knew where the winter olympics were going to be played all year. Granted, the lockout mixed things up...but why the heck didn't they resolve the issue in February or March or April? Again, it's a poorly managed sport run by a bunch of idiots.
If you think the NHL is run poorly, it might be a good idea to visit Russia and see how that place is being run. I've never been there myself, but as a Finn I've heard a lot of stories from people who have. That's why it's no surprise to me that it might be a major problem for them to meet NHL's standards.

Old
07-18-2013, 08:58 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Tell that to NBC, ABC, CBS or whoever covers the games, the ratings since 98 have probably skyrocketed thanks to the NHL players being there and considering that the winter olympics in the U.S. tend to draw markedly lower ratings than do the summer olympics I would not be surprised if the networks offer some sort of kickback or incentive to the league to keep the players going there.
Right now, the NHL, it's teams and players do not make a dime from the Olympics. The IOC and network makes a ton. That is one of the major sticking point. If the networks offer $, that will change the NHL's attitude.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:02 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
It's little things like that which contribute to the NHL's poor marketing rap: the NHL is the #4 league in America and yet by far the one which takes it's loyal fans for granted.

Yes I remember the 90's when the schedule would be posted in news papers. You know what else was different back then? the information age was just a baby. It doesn't take as long to make the schedule since they have a computer program for it. And as we all know; the schedule is clearly done, they are sitting on it, losing out on potential revenue every day they choose to shun their fans.

A lot of work companies have rules that vacations must be booked at least 90 days in advance; well guess what, we are less than 90 days before puck drop. And as mentioned a lot of people combine NHL trips with NFL, MLB, NBA, or in my case the CHL. Kind of hard to do without a schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if the California and Florida teams and Phoenix have lower attendances in October for that reason
The league is #4 in the US and always will be so long as the NBA, NFL, and MLB are still in business. Releasing the schedule today so you can book vacations is not going to change the NHL's standing in the US. Secondly, I have never heard of a company that requires people to book vacation time 90 days in advance. I know plenty of companies that ALLOW people to book or claim vacation time well in advance and only allow a certain number of people to book at a time. When I worked for TD Waterhouse, it was my department. We could start booking vacation days in December for the following year. Yes, you could book 11 months in advance (you were not allowed to take vacation days in December). Should the NHL have put out the schedule the previous December so I could book vacation time?

Old
07-18-2013, 09:06 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
What difference does that matter? The NHL knows they are going, the schedule is finished as evident by the Panthers being leaked.

I would like to know from those defending Bettman and the NHL why the NBA is giving it's fans a precise date and time for expecting the schedule while the NHL has left their fans completely in the dark?
They know they are going? Is it a done deal? Signed, sealed, and delivered? Until then, they are not going. This kind of thinking is probably why the IOC and the Host committee is not giving in to what the NHL wants. IOC and Host committee likely see it as, "players want to play, fans want the players to play, we don't need to bend for them at all. they will cave and come play."

Old
07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The league is #4 in the US and always will be so long as the NBA, NFL, and MLB are still in business. Releasing the schedule today so you can book vacations is not going to change the NHL's standing in the US. Secondly, I have never heard of a company that requires people to book vacation time 90 days in advance. I know plenty of companies that ALLOW people to book or claim vacation time well in advance and only allow a certain number of people to book at a time. When I worked for TD Waterhouse, it was my department. We could start booking vacation days in December for the following year. Yes, you could book 11 months in advance (you were not allowed to take vacation days in December). Should the NHL have put out the schedule the previous December so I could book vacation time?
You aren't aware of it so therefore it doesn't exist? Wow.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. How anyone is actually arguing for anything other than the most advance notice possible is simply mind boggling.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I didn't live in Winnipeg, so no idea when you saw it in Canada. The internet was in its infancy, so in NYC area all we had was the newspaper. My friend and I would see the schedule for the first time in September and decide on which games to try to buy.
Ah, didn't make that consideration. Good point.

After the Jets moved, I cannot honestly remember when they would publish the NHL schedule in the paper. Pretty sure it was in July? I know that I would buy a copy of The Hockey News in mid-July just to look over the schedule for the upcoming season. That was in the late 90s, have no idea when they would release the schedule before then.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You aren't aware of it so therefore it doesn't exist? Wow.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. How anyone is actually arguing for anything other than the most advance notice possible is simply mind boggling.
Where did I say that?

Secondly, if they release the schedule and then the Olympic deal blows up and decide they will not send their players, what do they do? Just have a 3-week break for everyone? I want the schedule to be out yesterday, just like most people. However, I can understand why they can't do so just yet.

Old
07-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Eddy Livingstone

It would be helpfull if the schedule was published soon. I am also keen to start booking flights.

I have travelled quite extensively in both the USA and Russia and the gap is not as wide as people at times believe. Russia has come a long way in the last 25 years, some of the greatest hotels I have stayed in were in Russia. Problem in this case is that Sochi is very much a developing resort town, aiming a the growing middle and top class in Russia, without a major city in the vicinity. But it has five star hotels by chains like Radisson. When I listen to Canadian talk radio or read here, I at times get the impression that people think the Olympics are being held in a third world country. I think visitors will be positively suprised when they get to Sochi.

Eddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't count on seeing anything anytime soon:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
They said they were close a few weeks ago. How close are they really?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:39 AM
newjerseydamo

Send a message via MSN to newjerseydamo Send a message via Skype™ to newjerseydamo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
They said they were close a few weeks ago. How close are they really?
at what point will the NHL turn around and just say no?

this was posted on twitter just before..
almost sounds like the lockout issues between NHL and NHLPA. might not be close at all.

Deb Kaufman Placey ‏@DebPlacey 21m

Like everybody, can't wait for #NHL sked... But league needs to hold out for best possible deal. They've had zero OLY access/benefits

newjerseydamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Who says they have to wait until the finals end before starting on the schedule? MLB releases their schedules before the prior season is over some years and they have twice as many games.

Or a valid comparison is the NBA which has pretty much the same length; they have outright stated this year they will release their schedule on July 25th at 7 pm eastern time; meaning their fans aren't in the dark, they're not hovering around websites hoping it will pop up. They communicated with their fans when to expect it. Now you'd think the NHL would jump on that and try and crank their schedule out earlier in hopes that some fans of both leagues will plan on the NHL first since their schedule is out first. But of course that would require competent management from the NHL office.
Has the NBA considering shutting down their season for a few weeks so their players can play in the Olympics? Secondly, this is a very ridiculous argument. People are going to plan for NHL or NBA against the other over whose schedule is out first? NHL schedule is out first every year. Has that helped the NHL put a dent in the NBA's popularity?

Old
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
LetsGoBLUES91

Quote:
Where did I say that?

Secondly, if they release the schedule and then the Olympic deal blows up and decide they will not send their players, what do they do? Just have a 3-week break for everyone? I want the schedule to be out yesterday, just like most people. However, I can understand why they can't do so just yet.
LOL you literally JUST said it. He quoted your post.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBLUES91 View Post
LOL you literally JUST said it. He quoted your post.
No, I clearly said, "I never heard of...." Did not say, that it does not exist. I LITERALLY did not just say it. LOL LOL LOL LOL.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Lepardi

Quote:
The league is #4 in the US and always will be so long as the NBA, NFL, and MLB are still in business.
I've read that Major League Soccer has a good chance of becoming larger than NHL.