HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On Drafting Seth Jones

Old
07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Shea Weber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Poile should have picked Jones - no problem there. But I think those of you talking about him filling a second line defense position next year are a trifle optimistic. He's 18. He may play in Nashville next year but its going to be few years before he makes an ongoing difference. He may just go back to Portland (too young for Milwaukee). Nashville is patient with D-men - and it works.
Poile said on radio today that Jones is as close to NHL ready as anyone in the draft and the expectation is for him to play a lot in Nashville this year.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Poile should have picked Jones - no problem there. But I think those of you talking about him filling a second line defense position next year are a trifle optimistic. He's 18. He may play in Nashville next year but its going to be few years before he makes an ongoing difference. He may just go back to Portland (too young for Milwaukee). Nashville is patient with D-men - and it works.
I think there is zero chance he goes back to junior.

he's got nothing more to prove or learn down there.

He needs to play against men and the only place for it is here.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Persona5

Quote:
He will be 19 and is said to be the most NHL ready player in the draft even with playing D. Poile even stated he thinks he will play right away this season. He won't be playing with Weber but I can see him playing with Klein on the second pairing for sure.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Persona5

Somthing I thought about from SJ's point of view is how would you feel if you are being touted as a franchise d-man and then you get drafted by a team that already has a right handed franchise d-man (maybe the best in the NHL). I personally would be a little down about that as I would want to be that #1 guy on that team. The only way SJ becomes that is if Weber is traded...

Old
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Somthing I thought about from SJ's point of view is how would you feel if you are being touted as a franchise d-man and then you get drafted by a team that already has a right handed franchise d-man (maybe the best in the NHL). I personally would be a little down about that as I would want to be that #1 guy on that team. The only way SJ becomes that is if Weber is traded...
Weber is 10 years older than Jones.

When Weber is in decline, Jones will be hitting his peak.

I think in a few years he's going to look back and realize just how lucky he was.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Agreed. Jones is a while away from being in his prime and ready to be the franchise player he likely feels he can be. In the meantime he gets to learn from one of the best in the world in an organization that has produced two of the best in the world.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Weber is 10 years older than Jones.

When Weber is in decline, Jones will be hitting his peak.

I think in a few years he's going to look back and realize just how lucky he was.
I think he already knows.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I don't think there is a young defensive prospect anywhere that doesn't look up to Shea Weber. Jones himself said that. Nurse too. I think he feels very lucky about where he landed.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Persona5

There is also the fact there will be less presure here than if he had gone to Colorado, Florida, or Tampa. He won't be forced into any role he can't handle but will get every opportunity to thrive. Can't wait to see him lace them up and play in gold!

Old
07-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
just noticed your location

I too am a Racer!
Lots of new hockey fans in western KY just because of this pick!

i'm actually in Phoenix now but will always be a KY/TN kid. I foresee a return to the area in a few years.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Mustard

vCash: 788
Another KY kid here. Hopkinsville.

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:32 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Another KY kid here. Hopkinsville.
Hoptown, County, or UHA?

Your rival to the north here...(Madisonville)

Jones obviously not as homegrown as Geoffrion, but still some pretty cool ties...

Popeye is still legendary at MSU

Old
07-02-2013, 11:49 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

One thing I've not seen mentioned, with regards to growing the fan base, is I've seen a lot of African Americans on twitter say they'll go back to a Preds game now.

Like it or not, people care about that kind of stuff. Growing the fan base can't hurt.

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Agreed. Jones is a while away from being in his prime and ready to be the franchise player he likely feels he can be. In the meantime he gets to learn from one of the best in the world in an organization that has produced two of the best in the world.
I really hope Shea's homicidal sociopath style of play rubs off on Jones. If there's anything Jones can use, it's some meanness to match his size.

There's lots of talented D-men out there but for me what separates Shea from the pack is his aggression and intimidation. If Jones picks some of that up opposing forwards might collectively veto crossing the blueline.

Click here for Brassard Party
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Mustard

vCash: 788
Quote:
Hoptown, County, or UHA?

Your rival to the north here...(Madisonville)

Jones obviously not as homegrown as Geoffrion, but still some pretty cool ties...

Popeye is still legendary at MSU
Believe it or not, I didn't go to any of those. I attended Heritage Christian, unfortunately.

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I really hope Shea's homicidal sociopath style of play rubs off on Jones. If there's anything Jones can use, it's some meanness to match his size.

There's lots of talented D-men out there but for me what separates Shea from the pack is his aggression and intimidation. If Jones picks some of that up opposing forwards might collectively veto crossing the blueline.
Wouldn't that be collusion?

Old
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I came to the Preds board expecting you guys to see this as one of the best moments in franchise history. Instead, the majority seem disappointed.

You might as well change your mind now and start celebrating, because this guy is absolutely unique, and is going to be a top-5 dman in the league for 15+ years.

Don't believe me? Just watch.

Screw your forwards, you got the BP in the draft.

(This coming from someone who lives in Halifax and watched MacK and Drouin develop).
This.

Jones is the best player in the draft and will score 50-60 points in his prime and be a monster to play against.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
With Housley part of the Preds coaching staff helping Jones develop, what are the chances he becomes more of an offensive weapon than Weber?
The chances are very good. While Weber has the big bomb, Jones is a better skater, more elusive, and by far a better passer. Jones also has a great shot -- not as heavy as Weber -- but his accuracy is better and he loves to drift in and fire the wrister top cheese.

Mark my words: Seth Jones will score 40 points as a rookie next season then follow it up with a few 42-46 point seasons until he starts breaking 50 by the time he's 23 years old.

When he hits his prime (26-27) he will be a 1st team all-star, Norris candidate (if not winner) who is scoring 55-60 points regularly.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
This.

Jones is the best player in the draft and will score 50-60 points in his prime and be a monster to play against.
We all hope you are right. Like others have said, no one is pissed about getting jones. However when Florida chose Barkov, I wanted to throw the remote through the tv. It's just tough when you get all amped up for a franchise forward when there are only 3 available and all of them go 1-3. But on the flip side, a top 4 d corp of Weber, Josi, Klein, & Jones just makes me giddy too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
The chances are very good. While Weber has the big bomb, Jones is a better skater, more elusive, and by far a better passer. Jones also has a great shot -- not as heavy as Weber -- but his accuracy is better and he loves to drift in and fire the wrister top cheese.

Mark my words: Seth Jones will score 40 points as a rookie next season then follow it up with a few 42-46 point seasons until he starts breaking 50 by the time he's 23 years old.

When he hits his prime (26-27) he will be a 1st team all-star, Norris candidate (if not winner) who is scoring 55-60 points regularly.
After watching him land on his ass after getting knocked off the puck by another prospect last week, I'd say we need to temper our expectations this season. That one play made him look even worse since the puck ended up in the back of the net one pass after the takeaway. He could end up being another Pronger/Lidstrom, but I remember similar hype about Ellis's potential. Success at the junior level is no guarantee of success in the NHL.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

All young kids have their embarrassing moments. It isn't with those moments we should judge them, but how they grow from them. He definitely has some toughening up to do, but as a prospect he has a great foundation on which to build.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:31 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
All young kids have their embarrassing moments. It isn't with those moments we should judge them, but how they grow from them. He definitely has some toughening up to do, but as a prospect he has a great foundation on which to build.
I agree. Didn't Josi get embarrassed last year by Datsyuk? I think, as fans, we expect significant contributions from the kids right away. 40 points from Jones next season is unrealistic. Hope I'm wrong.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:43 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I agree. Didn't Josi get embarrassed last year by Datsyuk? I think, as fans, we expect significant contributions from the kids right away. 40 points from Jones next season is unrealistic. Hope I'm wrong.
In the closing seconds of a game 2 seasons ago, some #20 was REALLY embarrassed by Datsyuk. I'm just hoping the draft day statement of, " I want to make them regret not taking me" to the 3 teams ahead of Nashville will be the first thing on SJ's mind everytime he steps on the ice.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

I think A LOT of great players have been embarrassed by Datsyuk over the years.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:06 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think A LOT of great players have been embarrassed by Datsyuk over the years.
Very true but Jones also got embarassed by Max Domi and Mack and Drou in the MEM cup so this talk of second pairing 40 points is a tad far fetched.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote