HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Re-sign Dustin Brown, 8 Years, $5.75M AAV

Old
07-18-2013, 09:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I'm sure that's what the concern is which is why you haven't heard anything about an extension for him but he played the last 9 playoff games and despite the team going 3-6 in those games he averaged a little under his normal 17-minute plus TOI average (15:30 TOI) and was a plus-3. And those were big games and very physical. He held up well.

I can see them looking at how he's doing in contact drills during camp and maybe the first 5-10 games and announcing a 3 or 4 year deal with him at between $3.25M & $3.75M. If he's healthy he's extremely valuable to this team. He's the most physical defenseman in the NHL and he's flat out mean to the opposition. Very tough guy to play against.
DL hasn't locked up his D-men early in the past, unlike Quick and the forwards. Voynov, Doughty, Mitchell, were all signed after their contract, or right at the tail end. I doubt DL locks up Greene after just 10-20 games following his back injury situation. He'll be a late season resign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
If he gets into the HoF, his number's going up. I'm not a fan of how he left the team twice, but He was a great player for many years in this town. all HoFers who played most of their years in LA deserve consideration for number retirement.
I don't think he'll get in. Possible, but I don't think he will. Without those injuries, he'd be in and likely have another Norris or two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Lets just hope this contract doesn't include a NTC/NMC....what else would there to be to inspire him to play to his potential?
It does have a limited NTC apparently.

And if long-term deals block inspiration then the team is screwed for a while since Carter, Richards, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Voynov are locked in for a number of years.

I guess we'll get top pick overall without all that inspiration.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
DL hasn't locked up his D-men early in the past, unlike Quick and the forwards. Voynov, Doughty, Mitchell, were all signed after their contract, or right at the tail end. I doubt DL locks up Greene after just 10-20 games following his back injury situation. He'll be a late season resign.

I don't think he'll get in. Possible, but I don't think he will. Without those injuries, he'd be in and likely have another Norris or two as well.

It does have a limited NTC apparently.

And if long-term deals block inspiration then the team is screwed for a while since Carter, Richards, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Voynov are locked in for a number of years.

I guess we'll get top pick overall without all that inspiration.
If thats the case, then a lot of teams are screwed. Including both teams who got to the ECF last year, Crosby, Malkin, Letang all have huge deals for the Pens, as do Bergeron, Chara and Rask for Boston. What logic!

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
which makes zero sense to me. he and the team did nothing to warrant that kind of accolade during his stint(s) in LA. yes he was a bright spot during some dark years, but beyond that i can't see hanging his jersey.

in comparison Rogie, Marcel and Luc were also bright spots but they produced HOF credentials during their careers. Taylor imo most closely resembles Brown, a life long King that captained the team. the difference being that DB brought # of SC('s) during his career.

a Legends night yes, but not a jersey retirement. factor in the bad blood between Blake and long time fans and to me it is a no brainer. they may want to test the water first by having a Blake Legends night first. my guess is Rob will be welcomed with a chorus of boos.
He's one of the great Dmen of all time and did most of it as a King. He's also a King currently. He will be up there if he makes the HoF, which is close to a lock.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:42 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

How much of a cut does an agents get off a contract? If its anything substantial it seems like cutting out that middle man gives more money to the players and saves GM's vital cap space.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Good for Brownie! Now he can afford to buy his teammates dinner once in awhile.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
How much of a cut does an agents get off a contract? If its anything substantial it seems like cutting out that middle man gives more money to the players and saves GM's vital cap space.
The agents cut is usually 8-10 percent.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:32 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
All those in favor....
No, I work at walmart and a couple of my coworkers are duck fans and one is from the bay area. They always talk ****, but I remind them we won the cup in the most dominating fashion. Then they'll mumble their BS. Its cool. I'm the first one to laugh at them when their teams fail.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:34 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
It's not much but usually depends on whether it's a high-profile player, or even a high-profile agent will ask for more. Last time I talked contracts with my brother he said his agent was getting something like 2%. But keep in mind his agent has about 40 clients and while my bros are usually really easy to handle ECHL deals, some of those 40 odd clients are NHL players. The percentage goes up to probably some around 5-10% for some of those.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
A little off-topic RP, but I really think the avatars of Carcillo's toothless smile rates about the 1, where the awesome chicks rate about a 10.

I miss them.

07-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
A little off-topic RP, but I really think the avatars of Carcillo's toothless smile rates about the 1, where the awesome chicks rate about a 10.

I miss them.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
At least when Dean gives out these contracts, it's to guys who deserve to get paid. Not guys who go around not winning games and putting up meaningless numbers, without contributing anything else.

Good deal.

But I don't want to read anything about what we're gonna be able to do in summer 2014 now. After giving Greene a raise and signing up a Mitchell replacement, we're cap slim. Even with it going up.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The following defensemen have been inducted to the HoF since 1991 (Not many):
1991 - Denis Potvin
1993 - Guy Lapointe (D)
1995 - Larry Robinson
1996 - Borje Salming
2001 - Viacheslav Fetisov (D)
2002 - Rod Langway (D)
2004 - Ray Bourque
2004 - Paul Coffey
2004 - Larry Murphy
2007 - Al MacInnis
2007 - Scott Stevens
2009 - Brian Leetch
2011 - Mark Howe (D)
2013 - Chris Chelios
2013 - Scott Niedermayer

I've put a (D) next to the guys who are defensive stay at home D-Men who you can't really compare to Blake statistically.

Of this list of 11 Two-Way DMen, only 6 had more career goals than Blake's 246 Goals. Ten of the 11 had more points than Blake, but he's 17th all-time in points by a defenseman (not too shabby). Blake is also 3rd all-time in PP Goals by a D-Man (136) and 6th all-time in GWG by a defenseman. Despite all the injuries he's 21st in games played by a defenseman all-time and Blake wasn't exactly a poor defensive player either. Quite the opposite in fact. He was a shutdown DMan who always played against the opponents top line.

There are some guys who deserve to get in before Blake IMO...Gary Suter, Sergei Zubov, maybe Niklas Lidstrom if they make Rob wait another 5 years, but I can't imagine a scenario where Rob Blake doesn't get in the HoF. Especially having now worked for the league and staying in hockey the way he has. Again, I don't like how he left the Kings, but I never said the guy wasn't a great hockey player.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Chris43

Quote:

I miss them.
Sup.

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Sans beards

Old
07-18-2013, 11:34 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:

I miss them.
Agreed. You stuck with such nice avatars for so long. Now you change it daily and it's now the uglies player on the team.

But Ron...you said that damn signature was going away!

One thing that hasn't been said on Brown yet re: the no agent thing, his agent quite frankly isn't very good. He just doesn't represent any big players outside of Brown (if he still does). I'm sure that was a pretty big part in Brown's decision.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Agreed. You stuck with such nice avatars for so long. Now you change it daily and it's now the uglies player on the team.

But Ron...you said that damn signature was going away!

One thing that hasn't been said on Brown yet re: the no agent thing, his agent quite frankly isn't very good. He just doesn't represent any big players outside of Brown (if he still does). I'm sure that was a pretty big part in Brown's decision.
Just because I've never had Lokti doesn't mean they're bad

Old
07-18-2013, 11:41 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Just because I've never had Lokti doesn't mean they're bad
Yes. Yes, it does.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Omni Owl
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Glad to see a player like Brown stick around for awhile. I think Frattin will learn a **** load playing with guys like Richards and Brown...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Old
07-19-2013, 01:15 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
I remember being really worried we were going to trade him but then this happened.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
I remember being really worried we were going to trade him but then this happened.
Likewise, I would not have been happy at all to see Brown moved in order to get Rick Nash (which was the rumor at the time). While Nash can make highlight reel plays, he's also largely ineffective when he's not producing.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:10 AM
KingLB

Really thought the Max I would give Brown is 4-5 years, but what can you do. Just hope Brown isn't moving like Smyth by the end of this thing.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:48 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Really thought the Max I would give Brown is 4-5 years, but what can you do. Just hope Brown isn't moving like Smyth by the end of this thing.
Imagine Brown's 4m cap hit in terms of the cap size 9 years from now...he'll be paid like a bottom sixer.

He won't be paid almost 7 mil like when we dealt him. That 6+ mil will look like 14 mil in cap in 9 years compared to 4.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:39 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Exactly. His bargain contract and his play helped us get the cup. Pay the man!
Quote:
Always remember...

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote