*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
New coach and GM will be announced today at 4:00 pm!
Shouldn't the GM have been the one to pick the coach? Seems to be a time-worn standard hockey operating protocol that makes sense.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
bobber

Bienkowski said he would hire the GM first so maybe he somehow had input. Guess we will never know. Glad they got this issue over with. Hope who ever they chose has some NHL experience and is a bit hard nosed. Still wonder about the issue of Smith being assistant GM how that would effect someone else being head coach besides him. Wonder how that would work?

Old
07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Wonder how that would work?
By making the new HC (if not Smith) the Associate GM with the assistant GM (Troy Smith) below him on the ladder!

Old
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
bobber

Rangers hire coach, GM

A lowly Kitchener Rangers reporter can't catch a break this off-season.

My plane touches down in Calgary while en route to Whistler to do an Olympic profile on a local snowboarder and, yet again, the BB goes bananas when I turn it on.

So, here I am sitting in the food court near a Manchu Wok reading the news that the club has finished its search for a new hockey staff.

Names are coming at 4 p.m. EST.

This I can say, the club has hired a coach, GM and associate coach. All three will be on two year deals. Subsequent player signings will be announced in the days coming.

NHL experience is coming to the Aud.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:24 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

It will be interesting to hear who the Rangers have selected, and how the style of play and approach to the game change as a result.

The AGM in August will be a little more interesting this year.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It will be interesting to hear who the Rangers have selected, and how the style of play and approach to the game change as a result.

The AGM in August will be a little more interesting this year.
I think just with the NHL experience there will be a change in the style of play as compared to Spotter's style.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I think just with the NHL experience there will be a change in the style of play as compared to Spotter's style.
Paul Maurice?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
It depends if they are talking NHL experience for the coach or the GM (both?).

Old
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Paul Maurice?
That's the first name that popped into my head.

Unless, of course, Kitchener is taking a page out of London's book and Al MacInnis is behind the bench!

Old
07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That's the first name that popped into my head.

Unless, of course, Kitchener is taking a page out of London's book and Al MacInnis is behind the bench!
Maurice would be a great choice. He would be a guy that could really get the most out of the 'stars'.
If Al MacInnis was the guy, that would be very cool. Not sure how much experience he has but you have to start somewhere! Man, Spott leaving the Kitchener organization is like winning the hockey lottery

Old
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Maurice would be a great choice. He would be a guy that could really get the most out of the 'stars'.
If Al MacInnis was the guy, that would be very cool. Not sure how much experience he has but you have to start somewhere! Man, Spott leaving the Kitchener organization is like winning the hockey lottery
MacInnis works for the Blues in a senior role. Doubt it would be him, but I guess you never know.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Man, Spott leaving the Kitchener organization is like winning the hockey lottery
That depends entirely on the team assembled to replace him. Only time will tell.

Quote:
MacInnis works for the Blues in a senior role. Doubt it would be him, but I guess you never know.
Highly doubtful, but fun to throw out there anyway!

Old
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
True....but maybe he could more 'hands-on' experience and get's his hands dirty doing the knitty gritty stuff here and still oversee/help with his sons development.
Most Dads would jump at that chance!

Having said that I expect about a 2% chance of this happening.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Acad

Head scout Murray Hiebert named new GM of the Kitchener Rangers. Troy Smith is the new coach. Mike Van Ryn associate coach.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Head scout Murray Hiebert named new GM of the Kitchener Rangers. Troy Smith is the new coach. Mike Van Ryn associate coach.
Mixed feelings about these. I don't know enough about Hiebert, so I'm willing to give him a chance. Smith seems a bit inexperienced and too much of a Spott-a-like to thrill me as head coach. But Van Ryn has some street cred.

I sure hope Smith recognizes how poorly motivated and lacking in physicality this team was. If he preaches the same cycle-based system with no eye to development, I'll be ready to give up! Spotlight's on you now Troy. Prove us wrong.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Torgo

I saw someone condemn the Smith head coach move as he was apart of the rangers "disaster" in coaching and player development over the past several years.

I've been a ranger fan all my life, but not had much interaction with other Ranger fans until seeing OHL forums. I know we haven't won a championship lately, but I have been overall pleased with the consistently competitive teams we've had. I know there were definite ups and downs more recently, but to label it a disaster when comparing the Rangers success with other teams, leads me to believe that Ranger fans are by-and-large spoiled.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Kitchener Rangers introduce new Hockey Operations team

Full Release here...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/NR0035.php

Old
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

I like the Smith appointment - the U17's played an up tempo game, and Smith played and coached under Deboer, and I'm sure learned a lot from him.

Hiebert has been with the organization forever, and has been advising coaches on prospects/drafts/trades for some time now. In addition, two other scouts will likely be more involved in the hockey ops side of the business, which isn't a bad thing.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
bobber

I think Smith has earned a shot head coach and bringing in Van Ryan who will work the D with NHL experience is something this team sorely lacked. In a rebuild year the expectations are not as high and its a chance for Smith to mold this team.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I think Smith has earned a shot head coach and bringing in Van Ryan who will work the D with NHL experience is something this team sorely lacked. In a rebuild year the expectations are not as high and its a chance for Smith to mold this team.
Bobber....I found the marked contrast between Fixter and Smith at the Ranger practices incredible.
One was in your face type and very forceful with his coaching while the other one wasn't.
The Rangers I think did well with the Smith hire and with reflection I'm liking the Hiebert hire more and more.

What I do love though is the splitting of the GM and HC roles!!

Now lets bring on some of those mystery player signings and since Josh Brown noted that the Rangers consulted with Al McInnis on Van Ryn the "not so mystery" player signing!

Old
07-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Wow, wow, wow....not enough props being given to the signing of the asst. coach. Mike Van Ryn is going to be a huge contributor. I played Junior (B) with im in London and he had a boomer of a shot (I had the bruises to provie it) and he was a real stand up guy. His knowledge of the game and what he will do for that D corp will be fantastic. If Kitchener doesn't have one of the best D corp by the end of the year I will be suprised (regardless of talent). You all should be very pumped about this acquisition. Happy for Mike too, couldn't happen to a nicer guy and he really caught some bad breaks in his NHL career.

Old
07-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Wow, wow, wow....not enough props being given to the signing of the asst. coach. Mike Van Ryn is going to be a huge contributor. I played Junior (B) with im in London and he had a boomer of a shot (I had the bruises to provie it) and he was a real stand up guy. His knowledge of the game and what he will do for that D corp will be fantastic. If Kitchener doesn't have one of the best D corp by the end of the year I will be suprised (regardless of talent). You all should be very pumped about this acquisition. Happy for Mike too, couldn't happen to a nicer guy and he really caught some bad breaks in his NHL career.
This was the best part of yesterday's news if you ask me. He has to be a major upgrade on the staff. This will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
I saw someone condemn the Smith head coach move as he was apart of the rangers "disaster" in coaching and player development over the past several years.

I've been a ranger fan all my life, but not had much interaction with other Ranger fans until seeing OHL forums. I know we haven't won a championship lately, but I have been overall pleased with the consistently competitive teams we've had. I know there were definite ups and downs more recently, but to label it a disaster when comparing the Rangers success with other teams, leads me to believe that Ranger fans are by-and-large spoiled.
Yes, Ranger fans are spoiled by access to prime talent and, therefore, generally competitive teams. "Disaster" might be a strong word to use for Spott's tenure, but I could sure make an argument that elements of it were disastrous. From a player development angle, it was brutal. Stars like Murphy, Rieder, Faksa and Leivo all - to a person - got worse, not better under Spott. And the kids rarely played, so rising stars like Bailey and LLewwelyn don't seem any further ahead now than when they started.

In fact, you'd have real trouble naming a single player on Kitchener's roster last year who was noticeably better at year's end. And that's damning on the coaching staff. In junior, typically about 70% of the players improve over a season to some extent.

And don't forget the talent he had. That roster was unbelievably top-loaded. To dismiss it as "yeah, but London was stacked" is missing the obvious. Hunter didn't have access to any better talent. He just improved it dramatically. Almost every Knight (with the exception of maybe Griffiths) was a lot better by playoffs. And that's how you win.

I could go on, but count me in the camp of those who really saw Spott as a huge setback for the organization and one who is crossing his fingers that Smith has changes in store.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
This was the best part of yesterday's news if you ask me. He has to be a major upgrade on the staff. This will help.

Yes, Ranger fans are spoiled by access to prime talent and, therefore, generally competitive teams. "Disaster" might be a strong word to use for Spott's tenure, but I could sure make an argument that elements of it were disastrous. From a player development angle, it was brutal. Stars like Murphy, Rieder, Faksa and Leivo all - to a person - got worse, not better under Spott. And the kids rarely played, so rising stars like Bailey and LLewwelyn don't seem any further ahead now than when they started.

In fact, you'd have real trouble naming a single player on Kitchener's roster last year who was noticeably better at year's end. And that's damning on the coaching staff. In junior, typically about 70% of the players improve over a season to some extent.

Being a teams fan doesn't mean you turn a blind eye to their shortcomings.

And don't forget the talent he had. That roster was unbelievably top-loaded. To dismiss it as "yeah, but London was stacked" is missing the obvious. Hunter didn't have access to any better talent. He just improved it dramatically. Almost every Knight (with the exception of maybe Griffiths) was a lot better by playoffs. And that's how you win.

I could go on, but count me in the camp of those who really saw Spott as a huge setback for the organization and one who is crossing his fingers that Smith has changes in store.
To show an improvement the first step is to analyze what wasn't working and what was working. IMHO you've nailed what wasn't working. Spott consistently complained about lack of secondary scoring and how the depth players had to step-up for the Rangers to win. BUT Spott was in charge in developing and playing them but he did neither. All he did was count on his top end talent and perhaps the best goalie ever in the CHL and still lost 8 out 9 playoffs to the Knights! An argument could easily be made and won that the Rangers top 5 or 6 players were as good if not better than the Knights but their depth overwhelmed the Rangers.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Thanks for the insight...very much appreciated.
A lot of us fans have been very very disappointed in how the latest wave of players weren't developed and we're thrilled to have Van Ryn on board. I guess the GM and HC news was more sexy than just a "lowly" asst coach for most fans!

Old
07-18-2013, 11:08 PM
rangersfan88

So I inquired about seasons tickets and found they are 600$ a seat . Thought that was a little ridiculous . Could anyone tell me how much they are in guelph or anywhere else in the league ?

Closed Thread