HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens re-sign Dustin Jeffrey (1 year, $625k)

Old
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso

vCash: 500
Kind of surprised he didn't ask for an out. Not that he had much leverage as a RFA, but his situation must suck, not being able to establish himself in a defined role.

Regardless, this signing is good for Pittsburgh; not necessarily good for Jeffrey and his career.

Last edited by Gwydyr: 07-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydyr View Post
Kind of surprise he didn't ask for an out. Not that he had much leverage as a RFA, but his situation must suck, not being able to establish himself in a defined role.

Regardless, this signing is good for Pittsburgh; not necessarily good for Jeffrey and his career.
Maybe Shero promised him they will move him if he doesn't crack the everyday roster after training camp. Its also easier and you get a better return if the guy is signed obviously

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Maybe Shero promised him they will move him if he doesn't crack the everyday roster after training camp. Its also easier and you get a better return if the guy is signed obviously
Dustin Jeffrey will not make the roster when an 'amazing 4th liner PKer' like Glass and an 'experienced veteran' like D'Agostini are ahead of him. If Shero did make this promise, Jeffrey should start scouting out the potential cities he might be traded to

Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Fire Shero*

If he can't earn a spot on our bottom 6 then I don't think he has a future in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's ideal as the 13th forward. But the bottom 6 is not really impressive...at all

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
If he can't earn a spot on our bottom 6 then I don't think he has a future in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's ideal as the 13th forward. But the bottom 6 is not really impressive...at all
my issue with that thinking is that really his most effective position is as a 3rd line center. He is a better center than wing, but our centers are better than our wings.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

Yeah I see his attainable ceiling as a 2nd line center on an average team.

Right now he could play 3rd on most average teams. Probably even be passable on the Pens 3rd if we didn't have Sutter.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Yeah I see his attainable ceiling as a 2nd line center on an average team.

Right now he could play 3rd on most average teams. Probably even be passable on the Pens 3rd if we didn't have Sutter.
I agree he'd make a passable 3rd line center. But he's our 5th best center, and Vitale makes a better 4th line center.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
mpp9

He looked fine on Sutter's LW. I'd like to see what they can do with Beau.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He looked fine on Sutter's LW. I'd like to see what they can do with Beau.
Ya I wouldn't hate that. Jeffrey and D'Agostini should be fighting to see who makes the 3rd line and who is on the 4th line. Glass should be the 13th forward.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

I have a terrible feeling Joe Legacy is going to be a healthy scratch on most nights.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I have a terrible feeling Joe Legacy is going to be a healthy scratch on most nights.
who will be in his place?

Old
07-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
who will be in his place?
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Jeffrey
Glass/Zolnierczyk - Adams - D'Agostini

Meh, it might just be me feeling pessimistic but I could see this lineup being implemented (I certainly hope not though).

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Jeffrey
Glass/Zolnierczyk - Adams - D'Agostini

Meh, it might just be me feeling pessimistic but I could see this lineup being implemented (I certainly hope not though).
Why does anyone think Zolnierczyk would play over Vitale? He's younger and generally worse. Jeffrey bumping D'Agostini to the 4th line is possible I suppose, though neither is the kind of 4th liner Disco likes. Not to mention, Disco has shown even less interest in playing Jeffrey than Vitale.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:27 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Dustin Jeffrey is a depth player. He would be useless on the fourth-line as a winger. I would actually take Glass over him (as the fourth line LW). He is too soft and slow to play on the wing. He is better as a centre. I do not have problem if he replaces a injured winger, but I would prefer not to have him as a full-time winger.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:40 AM
MonsterSurge

He's just a depth 2nd/3rd line winger. Glass is WAAAAY more effective on the 4th line.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Whakahere

vCash: 579
Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He's just a depth 2nd/3rd line winger. Glass is WAAAAY more effective on the 4th line.
Glass is effective ... hell, he doesn't do the job even if he was on 500k per year. In the cap world he is a waste of space.

Whakahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:08 AM
BreakfastatMarios

This is the worst signing since Craig Adams -

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I don't buy that for a second. A guy like Glass who isn't terrible would be more effective than Jeffrey. But Glass is terrible. Glass really is as ineffective of a player as we've had here since the dark ages. He's just really bad at hockey. He makes me yearn for a Craig Adams clone.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
I don't buy that for a second. A guy like Glass who isn't terrible would be more effective than Jeffrey. But Glass is terrible. Glass really is as ineffective of a player as we've had here since the dark ages. He's just really bad at hockey. He makes me yearn for a Craig Adams clone.
He had a bad season. There is no denying that. However, let us see if he can redeem himself next season before stating that he is a terrible hockey player. If he plays the same way that he did last season, then I will agree with your statement.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
He had a bad season. There is no denying that. However, let us see if he can redeem himself next season before stating that he is a terrible hockey player. If he plays the same way that he did last season, then I will agree with your statement.
fair enough I guess. Though I still don't like Glass and Adams both being on the team. They are both always going to be completely useless offensively. A 4th line can be physically effective while still chipping in an occasional goal. A 4th line with Glass and Adams on it, not so much.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
fair enough I guess. Though I still don't like Glass and Adams both being on the team. They are both always going to be completely useless offensively. A 4th line can be physically effective while still chipping in an occasional goal. A 4th line with Glass and Adams on it, not so much.
I understand. Dan Bylsma loves fourth-line grinders that provide little offensively.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I understand. Dan Bylsma loves fourth-line grinders that provide little offensively.
I'd be ok with little. Adams and Glass provide as close to nothing as it gets.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
I don't think you can chalk it up to one bad season. The scoring anomaly is only part of what was wrong with his play. His previous seasons were similar in terms of advanced statistics and also miserably failing the eye test. What you saw is what you are going to get, again.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
TheEdge27

Quote:
The problem is, guys like that are getting overpaid. Boyd Gordon 3 mil, Prust at 2.5, Rupp at 1.5, even Konopka gets just under a mil. With the top end talent we have, its not logical (even possible?) for us to spend 4-5 mil on our 4th line.

Do we start using higher picks to take "safe" players, knowing they have a 3rd line grinder ceiling, like an Eric Fehr type player?

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
The problem is, guys like that are getting overpaid. Boyd Gordon 3 mil, Prust at 2.5, Rupp at 1.5, even Konopka gets just under a mil. With the top end talent we have, its not logical (even possible?) for us to spend 4-5 mil on our 4th line.

Do we start using higher picks to take "safe" players, knowing they have a 3rd line grinder ceiling, like an Eric Fehr type player?
there are many better players than Tanner Glass for less than he makes. Including Dustin Jeffrey and Matt D'Agostini