HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens re-sign Dustin Jeffrey (1 year, $625k)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  #51
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso
 
Gwydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Kind of surprised he didn't ask for an out. Not that he had much leverage as a RFA, but his situation must suck, not being able to establish himself in a defined role.

Regardless, this signing is good for Pittsburgh; not necessarily good for Jeffrey and his career.


Last edited by Gwydyr: 07-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
  #52
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydyr View Post
Kind of surprise he didn't ask for an out. Not that he had much leverage as a RFA, but his situation must suck, not being able to establish himself in a defined role.

Regardless, this signing is good for Pittsburgh; not necessarily good for Jeffrey and his career.
Maybe Shero promised him they will move him if he doesn't crack the everyday roster after training camp. Its also easier and you get a better return if the guy is signed obviously

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  #53
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso
 
Gwydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Maybe Shero promised him they will move him if he doesn't crack the everyday roster after training camp. Its also easier and you get a better return if the guy is signed obviously
Dustin Jeffrey will not make the roster when an 'amazing 4th liner PKer' like Glass and an 'experienced veteran' like D'Agostini are ahead of him. If Shero did make this promise, Jeffrey should start scouting out the potential cities he might be traded to

Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:22 PM
  #54
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
If he can't earn a spot on our bottom 6 then I don't think he has a future in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's ideal as the 13th forward. But the bottom 6 is not really impressive...at all

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
  #55
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
If he can't earn a spot on our bottom 6 then I don't think he has a future in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's ideal as the 13th forward. But the bottom 6 is not really impressive...at all
my issue with that thinking is that really his most effective position is as a 3rd line center. He is a better center than wing, but our centers are better than our wings.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
  #56
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,811
vCash: 500
Yeah I see his attainable ceiling as a 2nd line center on an average team.

Right now he could play 3rd on most average teams. Probably even be passable on the Pens 3rd if we didn't have Sutter.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  #57
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Yeah I see his attainable ceiling as a 2nd line center on an average team.

Right now he could play 3rd on most average teams. Probably even be passable on the Pens 3rd if we didn't have Sutter.
I agree he'd make a passable 3rd line center. But he's our 5th best center, and Vitale makes a better 4th line center.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
  #58
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 25,162
vCash: 500
He looked fine on Sutter's LW. I'd like to see what they can do with Beau.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
  #59
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He looked fine on Sutter's LW. I'd like to see what they can do with Beau.
Ya I wouldn't hate that. Jeffrey and D'Agostini should be fighting to see who makes the 3rd line and who is on the 4th line. Glass should be the 13th forward.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #60
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership
 
Sh00terMcGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,838
vCash: 500
I have a terrible feeling Joe Legacy is going to be a healthy scratch on most nights.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
  #61
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I have a terrible feeling Joe Legacy is going to be a healthy scratch on most nights.
who will be in his place?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:34 PM
  #62
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership
 
Sh00terMcGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
who will be in his place?
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Jeffrey
Glass/Zolnierczyk - Adams - D'Agostini

Meh, it might just be me feeling pessimistic but I could see this lineup being implemented (I certainly hope not though).

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #63
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Jeffrey
Glass/Zolnierczyk - Adams - D'Agostini

Meh, it might just be me feeling pessimistic but I could see this lineup being implemented (I certainly hope not though).
Why does anyone think Zolnierczyk would play over Vitale? He's younger and generally worse. Jeffrey bumping D'Agostini to the 4th line is possible I suppose, though neither is the kind of 4th liner Disco likes. Not to mention, Disco has shown even less interest in playing Jeffrey than Vitale.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:27 PM
  #64
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
Dustin Jeffrey is a depth player. He would be useless on the fourth-line as a winger. I would actually take Glass over him (as the fourth line LW). He is too soft and slow to play on the wing. He is better as a centre. I do not have problem if he replaces a injured winger, but I would prefer not to have him as a full-time winger.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:40 AM
  #65
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
He's just a depth 2nd/3rd line winger. Glass is WAAAAY more effective on the 4th line.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:12 AM
  #66
Whakahere
Registered User
 
Whakahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Germany
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 579
Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He's just a depth 2nd/3rd line winger. Glass is WAAAAY more effective on the 4th line.
Glass is effective ... hell, he doesn't do the job even if he was on 500k per year. In the cap world he is a waste of space.

Whakahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:08 AM
  #67
BreakfastatMarios
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
This is the worst signing since Craig Adams -

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
  #68
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He's just a depth 2nd/3rd line winger. Glass is WAAAAY more effective on the 4th line.
I don't buy that for a second. A guy like Glass who isn't terrible would be more effective than Jeffrey. But Glass is terrible. Glass really is as ineffective of a player as we've had here since the dark ages. He's just really bad at hockey. He makes me yearn for a Craig Adams clone.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
  #69
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't buy that for a second. A guy like Glass who isn't terrible would be more effective than Jeffrey. But Glass is terrible. Glass really is as ineffective of a player as we've had here since the dark ages. He's just really bad at hockey. He makes me yearn for a Craig Adams clone.
He had a bad season. There is no denying that. However, let us see if he can redeem himself next season before stating that he is a terrible hockey player. If he plays the same way that he did last season, then I will agree with your statement.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
  #70
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
He had a bad season. There is no denying that. However, let us see if he can redeem himself next season before stating that he is a terrible hockey player. If he plays the same way that he did last season, then I will agree with your statement.
fair enough I guess. Though I still don't like Glass and Adams both being on the team. They are both always going to be completely useless offensively. A 4th line can be physically effective while still chipping in an occasional goal. A 4th line with Glass and Adams on it, not so much.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
  #71
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
fair enough I guess. Though I still don't like Glass and Adams both being on the team. They are both always going to be completely useless offensively. A 4th line can be physically effective while still chipping in an occasional goal. A 4th line with Glass and Adams on it, not so much.
I understand. Dan Bylsma loves fourth-line grinders that provide little offensively.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
  #72
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I understand. Dan Bylsma loves fourth-line grinders that provide little offensively.
I'd be ok with little. Adams and Glass provide as close to nothing as it gets.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
  #73
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
He had a bad season. There is no denying that. However, let us see if he can redeem himself next season before stating that he is a terrible hockey player. If he plays the same way that he did last season, then I will agree with your statement.
I don't think you can chalk it up to one bad season. The scoring anomaly is only part of what was wrong with his play. His previous seasons were similar in terms of advanced statistics and also miserably failing the eye test. What you saw is what you are going to get, again.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
  #74
TheEdge27
Registered User
 
TheEdge27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
fair enough I guess. Though I still don't like Glass and Adams both being on the team. They are both always going to be completely useless offensively. A 4th line can be physically effective while still chipping in an occasional goal. A 4th line with Glass and Adams on it, not so much.
The problem is, guys like that are getting overpaid. Boyd Gordon 3 mil, Prust at 2.5, Rupp at 1.5, even Konopka gets just under a mil. With the top end talent we have, its not logical (even possible?) for us to spend 4-5 mil on our 4th line.

Do we start using higher picks to take "safe" players, knowing they have a 3rd line grinder ceiling, like an Eric Fehr type player?

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
  #75
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 46,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
The problem is, guys like that are getting overpaid. Boyd Gordon 3 mil, Prust at 2.5, Rupp at 1.5, even Konopka gets just under a mil. With the top end talent we have, its not logical (even possible?) for us to spend 4-5 mil on our 4th line.

Do we start using higher picks to take "safe" players, knowing they have a 3rd line grinder ceiling, like an Eric Fehr type player?
there are many better players than Tanner Glass for less than he makes. Including Dustin Jeffrey and Matt D'Agostini

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.