HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it the right time to deal Souray?

Old
10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Technically, I think it's after 24 or 28 days (number of games doesnt matter) that it stops counting against the cap.

About the retirement, it count against the cap only if the retired player is 35 or over.
You are correct on the first matter but the second is only if the player is signed after he is 35 (might be 34) if he is signed for example 15 years Di Pietro when he retires he is removed from the cap no charge.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Marchy79

Souray has consistently made mention that the apparent trade rumours were false time and time again... Gainey I am sure knows the pure and simple truth, as well as the players alongside him. On ice however, Sheldon Souray displays a tonne of character, guts and the occassional boneheaded play... News flash... ALL players tend to make boneheaded plays. They make good ones, they make bad ones...

And before many take in to consideration the fact that hes-4, and not on par 5 on 5... I may digress that these actual numbers are weakened by the fact that we retain the #3 PP in the league, by which he has contributed 5 Goals, 5 Assists to...
That has to slightly negate some of these construed views on a player who plays shoddy d... At the end of the day, Souray is contributing more than he is costing... Hes a valuable member to this team, if he is deciding to go at the end of the year... we always have at least to the trade deadline to decide what plans we have in store for all 3 of them (Rivet, Markov, Souray) things can change, and until we watch the season unfold we will only know for sure then...

Personally I like having Sheldon in Montreal... He fits here very well, and adds more to the team off the ice. I also like having Markov and Rivet.
In fact, I am pretty content to believe that at the end of the day, our defence will be able to hold up... Some have mentioned we do have a plethra of COMPETENT NHL defencmen... Right now 2 are injjured, and we still have a decent top 6.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:42 AM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Souray has consistently made mention that the apparent trade rumours were false time and time again... Gainey I am sure knows the pure and simple truth, as well as the players alongside him. On ice however, Sheldon Souray displays a tonne of character, guts and the occassional boneheaded play... News flash... ALL players tend to make boneheaded plays. They make good ones, they make bad ones...

And before many take in to consideration the fact that hes-4, and not on par 5 on 5... I may digress that these actual numbers are weakened by the fact that we retain the #3 PP in the league, by which he has contributed 5 Goals, 5 Assists to...
That has to slightly negate some of these construed views on a player who plays shoddy d... At the end of the day, Souray is contributing more than he is costing... Hes a valuable member to this team, if he is deciding to go at the end of the year... we always have at least to the trade deadline to decide what plans we have in store for all 3 of them (Rivet, Markov, Souray) things can change, and until we watch the season unfold we will only know for sure then...

Personally I like having Sheldon in Montreal... He fits here very well, and adds more to the team off the ice. I also like having Markov and Rivet.
In fact, I am pretty content to believe that at the end of the day, our defence will be able to hold up... Some have mentioned we do have a plethra of COMPETENT NHL defencmen... Right now 2 are injjured, and we still have a decent top 6.
I agree but keep in mind that we have to figure out why the hell we are allowing 50 shots per game and why our D's aren't doing the necessary to keep the puck out of our zone.

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:42 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post

This dude is absolutely right. Couldn't have said it a better way. This guy has contributed highly to our great PP, and all though he screws up here or there, our PK is #1 and Souray is a Dman, that means he's also contributing to this as well.

I don't agree with Ghost's musical taste, , but this guy definitely knows what he's talking about. In my other thread I referred to how Souray has a -4 right now even though he has 12 pts. It is true that he contributes to our team way too much to trade him though. His screw ups can be annoying at times and sometimes reminisant of Brisebois but he's far better a player, especially right now when he costs so little compaired to guys like McCabe who aren't even worth the money.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
I agree but keep in mind that we have to figure out why the hell we are allowing 50 shots per game and why our D's aren't doing the necessary to keep the puck out of our zone.
You also make a valid point and I agree defensively Souray seemed a bit slow this season but honestly, he's one of many defensemen on the team. We can't blame him for any more then 15% of the problem really. With Boullion coming back our D will be a lot more solid. Ninimaa hasn't been playing badly so I don't know why people are wanting him gone already either. Rivet was a bit slow at the start of the season but is getting stronger now.

The habs will find a way to make it work guys, don't worry.

Keep in mind earlier this season when I said it might be possible for 4/5 of the teams in our division to make the playoffs. (Highly unlikely but possible). Boston is basically a free 8 wins. I think the habs need to keep Souray for teams like Boston where you can apply a lot of pressure from the blueline and create scoring opertunities with rebounds.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
!nkubus

no No No and No. Sourray is making us win and earn points. Why trade a guy when he gives you his best hockey ever?

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:31 AM
bipolarhabfan

Souray needs to stay and stay long-term. Without him we would not be anywhere near where we are now. The players that do need to go at the end of the year are Rivet and Niinimaa.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
jonboy18

I think it is time to trade souray he will score alot for the hab but he will never win us the cup and I think if we trade him to tampa for lecavalier we will have the best second line center and the player the fans will love. The salary cap for the team will not look good but we have some player we could get rid also.

jonboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
jonboy18

me again or we go to the pens. and make the biggest deal since gretz. abby+souray+sammy+1round+1round=malkin because pns will not be able to pay all the young guys all that money down the road and malkin and ryder together they would tear it up.

jonboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
White Snake*

I hope everyone realizes PP points dont count for you +/-. THe plus/minus only for even strength. SOuray stays, Rivet goes. Case Closed.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:03 PM
White Snake*

Also SOuray has alot of integrity and has always mentioned how touched he was Mtl stood by him when he had his surgeries. He knows MTL has been good to him. He would settle for 3.5M even if he goes on to score 20+ goals. He has alot of heart.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
tritone

Souray, Koivu, Kovalev, Komi, Higgins and Huet to Phoenix for Gretzky's autographed boxer shorts
Enough of the Souray trading jeez.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:37 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
I hope everyone realizes PP points dont count for you +/-. THe plus/minus only for even strength. SOuray stays, Rivet goes. Case Closed.
Not in any way, shape or form.

Souray will cost double what Rivet will for next season. Is he twice the defenseman? Think not.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Souray wants to stay, at 3 to 3.25M, welcome back Sheldon. Problem is, he'll likely get 4M+ on the market, which he's nowhre close to being worth. In that case, I hope Gainey saves his money for Markov.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:58 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Not in any way, shape or form.

Souray will cost double what Rivet will for next season. Is he twice the defenseman? Think not.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Souray wants to stay, at 3 to 3.25M, welcome back Sheldon. Problem is, he'll likely get 4M+ on the market, which he's nowhre close to being worth. In that case, I hope Gainey saves his money for Markov.
So what if Souray costs more? He brings more than rivet ever will to this team. Rivet doesnt win us games like Souray can. If souray could be paired up with a mobile sound defensively d-man it would be a great fit. We should have some money left for Souray and markov. Bonk, Johnson, Rivet, Niniimaa are likely to be out or some of them resigned at a cheaper price.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:40 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Crap it's gonna hurt if I see Streit leave the lineup, the guy has been just unbelievable ... I hope he doesn't go in the list of Beauchemins, Hainseys, Robidas ...

God I can't beleive we lost Beauchemin ... that guy was Godlike last year ... jeez how is Anaheim allowing 10 shots per game

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
So what if Souray costs more? He brings more than rivet ever will to this team. Rivet doesnt win us games like Souray can. If souray could be paired up with a mobile sound defensively d-man it would be a great fit. We should have some money left for Souray and markov. Bonk, Johnson, Rivet, Niniimaa are likely to be out or some of them resigned at a cheaper price.
Don't take this the wrong way, I like Souray. But if he and and Markov have standout seasons, it'll cost between 9 and 10M to keep both. I can't see it happening.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, I like Souray. But if he and and Markov have standout seasons, it'll cost between 9 and 10M to keep both. I can't see it happening.
I say we sign/keep our OWN players. It'll be expensive, but...

We just don't get any UFA's (unless it's Briere! ).

We can sign everyone as long as we don't sign any UFA's...no? yes?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote