Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Post Game Thread

Old
10-29-2006, 11:24 AM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Nashville Post Game Thread

I posted this elsewhere but I thought it would be appropriate to give it its own thread.

To put the Nashville game in perspective, the Pred's were lucky in several ways. First of all, they came in and played a team that has been fairly inactive game wise, the Pred's got every break possible when it came to penalties (not only that the Flames were shorthanded for the better part of two periods, but that the Preds could have and should have been called for a five minute penalty when Kariya cut Kobasew with his stick). The way the Flames responded in the third, was a good indication of the teams mettle.

Last year, Nashville kicked the Flames butt several times, and that was with Phaneuf and Yelle playing. The Preds were hanging on at the end. If they didn't have all of the above advantages, things could have turned out differently.

Iginla really took the game in hand in the last period, and very nearly pulled it out. That is a good sign from the teams leader. He also is on pace for 45 goals and 82 points as well. I would not write the team off based on last nights performance. There were some positives. It was disappointing but there is a way out, and I believe they are finding it.

If they stay the hell out of the penalty box, and they get started earlier, they can win these games. It is little consolation but at least, the third period demonstrates they have the talent to play with the Preds. I would be more worried if they couldn't handle them.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Body Checker

They were absolutely brutal for 2 periods, I don't take solace in a spirited 3rd period because you see it all the time - a team gets a two goal lead then they hang back. Nashville hung on in the last minute but doesn't every team hang on for the last minute with a one goal lead and six attackers coming their way???

Calgary sucked and they got a long way to go to be a top team. Time to dump a few veterans if they can.

McCarty can go, he doesn't bring much anymore.

And I thought Playfair wasn't going to switch lines so much like Sutter? Put Tanguay back with Lombardi and Kobasew and let Huselius play with Iginla and Langkow.

Also Marcus Nilson needs more ice time. Move him back to center with Amonte and Friesen. He did well there during the Cup run. Lundmark is pretty ordinary. I think a Friesen-Nilson-Amonte line would provide some much needed secondary scoring.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:08 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
They were absolutely brutal for 2 periods, I don't take solace in a spirited 3rd period because you see it all the time - a team gets a two goal lead then they hang back. Nashville hung on in the last minute but doesn't every team hang on for the last minute with a one goal lead and six attackers coming their way???

Calgary sucked and they got a long way to go to be a top team. Time to dump a few veterans if they can.

McCarty can go, he doesn't bring much anymore.

And I thought Playfair wasn't going to switch lines so much like Sutter? Put Tanguay back with Lombardi and Kobasew and let Huselius play with Iginla and Langkow.

Also Marcus Nilson needs more ice time. Move him back to center with Amonte and Friesen. He did well there during the Cup run. Lundmark is pretty ordinary. I think a Friesen-Nilson-Amonte line would provide some much needed secondary scoring.
I agree about Nilson getting more ice time. But I really believe the Flames were the victim of a slow start (which is usual following a layoff) and undisciplined play. Over and over again, they took penalties at the most inopportune times. Once they stopped taking all the penalties, they began playing well.

I don't know how they get these guys to stop taking bad penalties. Maybe they need to put forwards who take them, on the fourth line and just roll three for a while. Maybe they need to make a defender who takes bad penalties play in the bottom pairing until they smarten up. (Ference really killed a rally last night, and he needs to quit playing like a bonehead).

Old
10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
kruezer

I like those lines BC, especially if Huselius starts going again, Lundmark is simply not good enough for more than the 4th line right now IMO.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 02:48 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I like those lines BC, especially if Huselius starts going again, Lundmark is simply not good enough for more than the 4th line right now IMO.

I would have thought Nilson would be the natural replacement for Yelle at center ice. Only problem is his prowess in the faceoff circle. That is where Lundmark has been kicking butt over the last few games.

Old
10-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Lunatik*

maybe the flames should look at more than the regular set lines... Huselius hasnt proved he deserves top line minutes... and Tanguay doesnt play the PK... why not double shift him a litte??... have tanguay taking some of the shifts on the top line LW spot and Juice taking some of the shifts... then maybe tangs can keep Kobasew and Lombardi going as well as developing some chemistry with Langkow and Iginla

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:08 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
maybe the flames should look at more than the regular set lines... Huselius hasnt proved he deserves top line minutes... and Tanguay doesnt play the PK... why not double shift him a litte??... have tanguay taking some of the shifts on the top line LW spot and Juice taking some of the shifts... then maybe tangs can keep Kobasew and Lombardi going as well as developing some chemistry with Langkow and Iginla
I think that would be brilliant, we need to get Tanguay and Kobasew out at even strength more often if they are not going to be PKing, take some shifts from Huselius or cut back on playing the third line at EV, let them focus on the penalty kill, they shouldn't be playing the same amount as Kob and Tanger at even stregth.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:46 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I think that would be brilliant, we need to get Tanguay and Kobasew out at even strength more often if they are not going to be PKing, take some shifts from Huselius or cut back on playing the third line at EV, let them focus on the penalty kill, they shouldn't be playing the same amount as Kob and Tanger at even stregth.

Apart from the fact that the Flames are killing penalties all the time, the other thing that really cuts into Kobasews ice time, is the fact that Iggy gets double shifted too. That is how he ends up getting fed the puck by Lombardi. I know people want Kobasew to get more ice time, but when Iggy is producing at the rate he is, it is pretty hard to take ice time away from him.

Old
10-30-2006, 12:00 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Apart from the fact that the Flames are killing penalties all the time, the other thing that really cuts into Kobasews ice time, is the fact that Iggy gets double shifted too. That is how he ends up getting fed the puck by Lombardi. I know people want Kobasew to get more ice time, but when Iggy is producing at the rate he is, it is pretty hard to take ice time away from him.
Very true, but still I wouldn't be too hesistant to cut a bit more into Amonte's TOI at EV a bit though and give more of it to Kobasew, but thats just me.

Old
10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Phaneuf333

Calgary can't beat Nashville

Phaneuf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Gee, ab, if you're this sporting after a loss, I can't imagine how gracious you'd be had you won.

Thank goodness we squeaked out with those two luck points...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Gee, ab, if you're this sporting after a loss, I can't imagine how gracious you'd be had you won.

Thank goodness we squeaked out with those two luck points...
The Preds are a great team and the Flames have had a hard time with them for quite some time. IIRC, you were concerned about the Preds towards the end of the game. I know you saw it as the Preds going into a shell, but I saw it as the Flames staying out of the box, and Iggy getting it going. The Flames were shorthanded a lot in the first two periods, and Kariya did get away with a stick cut to Kobasew. No teams that I know of, are able to get it going when they are short handed for the better part of the periods, which is true of the Flames. And when the Preds did get one penalty, it came just into a Flames penalty so the Flames power play was about 15 seconds.

Not taking anything away from the Preds. I know how good they are. I know it isn't luck.

Believe me, if we won, I would've been thankful and I don't do the in-your-face routine.

Like I said in my original post, I thought they did play with the Preds in the last period. The rumor has been, that Calgary can't skate with them. I don't buy that.

Anyway, no offense in any way meant, but I just call it the way I see it. We'll get a chance to visit this again. Till then, good luck.

Old
10-30-2006, 10:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I do think the Flames played better in the third..but at the same time, Nashville did something it has done all year long with a lead in the third...a phenomenon that pred303 eloquently explained over in our GDT...and let off the gas in a major way. It's cost us a couple of games(Minnesota, Vancouver) and nearly cost us against you guys...and I'd say it's our biggest flaw thus far in the early season.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote