HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 211 48.96%
No 220 51.04%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
I would not be surprised that the Therrien/Bergevin combo are good at selling the intangible factors that make the player feel he's welcome and that the two "heads" of the organization know what they're doing. Hell, Therrien sold Bergevin first.

Even if intangibles take a second place to money, etc, NJ and Nashville are not particularly attractive teams in terms of Cup "contentionability", for lack of a better word, and their scoring and defensive depth is not quite as deep as ours.

If Briere doesn't pan out as expected, well, he's still a tradable asset.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
I would not be surprised that the Therrien/Bergevin combo are good at selling the intangible factors that make the player feel he's welcome and that the two "heads" of the organization know what they're doing. Hell, Therrien sold Bergevin first.

Even if intangibles take a second place to money, etc, NJ and Nashville are not particularly attractive teams in terms of Cup "contentionability", for lack of a better word, and their scoring and defensive depth is not quite as deep as ours.

If Briere doesn't pan out as expected, well, he's still a tradable asset.
If he doesn't pan out as expected who is going to want this guy?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's always an anemic scoring team every year that needs help. Or, some team that has cap tied up and want to free it up in a couple years.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
There's always an anemic scoring team every year that needs help. Or, some team that has cap tied up and want to free it up in a couple years.
If they're anemic in scoring why would they want a small guy who hasn't produced well for three years?

Again, folks think that we can sign people, have them fail and then get good returns on our garbage. Doesn't work that way... unless your Glen Sather and can con Bob Gainey out of a top prospect for your headache. The idea that somebody out there is dumber than we are and will bail us out isn't a good strategy.

If he doesn't do well, we're stuck with him. Only two years? Okay but we're still stuck with the guy. And there won't be an amnesty buyout for us like there was with Kaberle.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There's still the matter of that NMC.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Right... thanks. Forgot about that too.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Right... thanks. Forgot about that too.
Briere, the gift that keeps on giving.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

The question really should be framed as, how far down the road will the happiness last? Briere might make us happy for a while, analogous to Ryder.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
dutchy29

In the end it comes down to production, if he starts scoring and we are winning, everyone will be fine with the deal. Did we get closer to becoming a champion with this signing....NO
and really thats the main goal isn't? especially when signing free agents.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Same with Gionta, yet he's in every trade proposal to make us bigger.

Stop it with your facts now, will ya!

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:53 AM
zzoo

I didn't like this acquisition until I see now his stats in Playoff. 1 ppg in PO is very impressive !

Question: did he play C or RW with Flyers ? And he plays with who ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:41 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

*Sigh*

I once remember a time this fan base was excited over signing Joe Juneau and Yannick Perreault.

Simpler times.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
In the end it comes down to production, if he starts scoring and we are winning, everyone will be fine with the deal. Did we get closer to becoming a champion with this signing....NO
Adding a guy who produces in the playoffs actually does bring them closer to a championship imo.

I hold hockey grudges forever and I hated Briere after he used the Habs and bolted for the Flyers. In this case though I am not upset about the signing as we are getting a skill guy who has a great playoff track record and is hungry to show the hockey world he still has gas left in the tank. I like signing motivated players and he knows what the Habs, media, and city are all about. If it was a longterm deal I would not have liked it but I am OK with the signing and have a feeling he will have a bounceback season.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Best playoff performer next to Zetterberg in the past ..how many years now?

He's clutch.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:50 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Best playoff performer next to Zetterberg in the past ..how many years now?

He's clutch.
You're very much looking at one side of that coin. The pts column is hardly indicative of how well someone played overall.

Old
07-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
You're very much looking at one side of that coin. The pts column is hardly indicative of how well someone played overall.
No. But after more than a hundred play-off games, it is starting to become
telling. The other team didn't choose to let him score. And his coaches didn't
always give him an unfair amount of ice-time.

Unless he has interesting connections, and in more than one city. That
might make him a natural in Montreal.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
No. But after more than a hundred play-off games, it is starting to become
telling. The other team didn't choose to let him score. And his coaches didn't
always give him an unfair amount of ice-time.

Unless he has interesting connections, and in more than one city. That
might make him a natural in Montreal.
Briere has been fairly sheltered his entire time in Philly. He's an exploitation center, which we already have one of (and of which it's generally not fantastic to have two of). An exploitation center that is only getting older and more injured. Can he score? Definitely? Will it cost us the other way? Definitely as well. There have been a few articles recently analyzing this.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...s-clutchiness/

Pretty good article that doesn't put everything into advanced stats, for those who aren't into that sort of thinking.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:
Briere has been fairly sheltered his entire time in Philly. He's an exploitation center, which we already have one of (and of which it's generally not fantastic to have two of). An exploitation center that is only getting older and more injured. Can he score? Definitely? Will it cost us the other way? Definitely as well. There have been a few articles recently analyzing this.

Pretty good article that doesn't put everything into advanced stats, for those who aren't into that sort of thinking.
I think that assessment is really unfair. Exploitation center? Sure Philly had better depth than Buffalo down the middle, but there are no easy points in the NHL, especially in playoff hockey. Just ask Pittsburgh.

Also, look at the Blackhawk's recent 2nd line center and how he fared in terms of points, both in regular season and playoffs. The Blackhawks were successful not because they had a good second line center, or "exploitation center" as you call it, but because of great overall depth.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:48 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
I think that assessment is really unfair. Exploitation center? Sure Philly had better depth than Buffalo down the middle, but there are no easy points in the NHL, especially in playoff hockey. Just ask Pittsburgh.

Also, look at the Blackhawk's recent 2nd line center and how he fared in terms of points, both in regular season and playoffs. The Blackhawks were successful not because they had a good second line center, or "exploitation center" as you call it, but because of great overall depth.
I'm not quite sure how calling Briere an exploitation center is unfair. The term was invented for players like him. To be honest this entire post is really confusing to read.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
le_sean

Been happy with it since the beginning. To replace Ryder with Briere is a great move. Size is not an argument because Ryder never used his. You're just replacing regular season production with postseason production, and for all we know Danny will also give regular season production.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:55 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how calling Briere an exploitation center is unfair. The term was invented for players like him. To be honest this entire post is really confusing to read.
You definitely nitpicked when you said he was an exploitation center in Philly, because he was the #1 center in Buffalo, and even there had fantastic playoff performances.

Danny isn't a 1A anymore, but he offers us great depth and experience. Most people around here seem upset that we couldn't land a bigger name, but they don't grow on trees.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
You definitely nitpicked when you said he was an exploitation center in Philly, because he was the #1 center in Buffalo, and still had fantastic playoff performances.

Danny isn't a 1A anymore, but he offers us great depth and experience. Most people around here seem upset that we couldn't land a bigger name, but they don't grow on trees.
I couldn't care less about not landing a bigger name. I also don't really care about the contract awarded to Briere. Most of the time I spent arguing about briere was because people were trying to imply that he wasn't putrid defensively (which he is) and that he wasn't on a major downswing.

In the long term goal of it all, it matters little, imo. Danny is a stop gap until better players arrive, and I don't really expect us to make any major pushes for a cup while he's here. And that's not a swipe at him, I just don't think our window lies in that time frame. Had we signed some great, young, tough winger at a great price? Then sure, but like you said. Those don't grow on trees, and this team is building from within.

I can't speak for Briere's time in buffalo, since I wasn't watching hockey as closely as I am now. Not quite sure how he was used there, but for most of his time in philly, yeah, he was used primarily as an exploitation center and PP beast. And since then, he's gotten worse and any shred of two way hockey that was there in his early philly days is long gone.

As for fantastic playoff performances, again, you have to take the pts column with a grain of salt. Nobody is denying that Briere can put up points.

Old
07-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Just ask Briere, too. But scoring is going to be a bit easier when scoring plays involve names like Jagr, Pronger, Timonen, Hartnell, Van Riemsdyk, Giroux, etc, as can be seen in 90+% of Briere's scoring log from '11/12, but almost none of his '12/13 log (featuring Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, etc).

Quote:
Who and what are you talking about? If I say that Chicago's answer was team composition and being able to survive the physicality of some of the tighter/harder checking teams in the league, who do we think might be closer to the mark? "Overall depth" means very little, especially if you're simply referring to "scoring depth", which Vancouver has proven time and time again isn't sufficient. So has Pittsburgh, for that matter, since '08/09. The perception of Chicago's "depth" is a function of their bottom 6's ability to handle a decent chunk of minutes against any line and not lose them the game. Furthermore, their top 6 won it for them with hard work just as much as offensive production.

I don't care if Briere's only for a year or two, any step backwards is a disappointment considering how many positive steps have been taken just this year.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 07-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
SB164

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:23 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Put him on the DD line then. We do have a sheltered scoring line. Or with Galchenyuk and Prust.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote