HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
ChiHawk21

vCash: 500
Bolland for trochek and a pickkkkkkkkk

Old
06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
Bolland for trochek and a pickkkkkkkkk
Lol no..

Old
06-21-2013, 01:47 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Lol no..
I concur.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:01 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I concur.
Have you seen him play??

Old
06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Montsy14

Matheson invited to Canada's u20 summer camp. It appears as if he's the only non-CHL player on the list. Good for him.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...er-Camp/Roster

Old
07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

How's our boy Zach Hyman doing?
Any chance he sees NHL ice time?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75045

Old
07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
How's our boy Zach Hyman doing?
Any chance he sees NHL ice time?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75045
Fringe prospect at best. I tried to warn against him being overhyped from the start. He tried to develop the other areas of his game at Michigan that will get him to the NHL besides offense. But I wouldn't count on him seeing NHL time.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:25 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Fringe prospect at best. I tried to warn against him being overhyped from the start. He tried to develop the other areas of his game at Michigan that will get him to the NHL besides offense. But I wouldn't count on him seeing NHL time.
Unless his dad buys the Panthers, I doubt we'll ever see him in a uniform.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Unless his dad buys the Panthers, I doubt we'll ever see him in a uniform.
lol, that is commitment to his son, though.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Top 10 prospects for Florida, according to Pronman.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Markstrom at #11?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.

Quote:
Petrovic and Howden should be WAY higher. I'd put them at 3 and 4 respectively.
I disagree about Matheson's shot. That's one of his assets. I watched some Boston College games this season and I have seen this thing.
Drew Shore is ranked too high.
And Erik Gudbranson is not ranked behind Michael Matheson, Nick Bjugstad, and especially not Drew Shore.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 07-10-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
theq

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Markstrom at #11?
markstrom too low
Racine really Underrated
Downing overrated

Old
07-10-2013, 01:31 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Wow... I don't normally complain about rankings like this because everyone has their own opinion, but that list is pretty bad lol.

1. Aleksander Barkov, Center
2. Jakob Markstrom, Goalie
3. Nick Bjugstad, Center
4. Vincent Trocheck, Center
5. Alex Petrovic, Defense
6. Michael Matheson, Defense
7. Quinton Howden, Left Wing
8. Rocco Grimaldi, Center
9. Ian McCoshen, Defense
10. Kyle Rau, Right Wing

I think that would be mine (I had a tough time with 5-8), and I am assuming that Guds and Hubby are both considered graduates

Old
07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
I'm drooling over Barkov right now...if only this scouting analysis proves to be true...

07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
iam76

I want Barkov to be amazing if only to shutup Pierre Mcguire...

Old
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Haj

Is Trocheck going back to juniors this year or is he eligible to play in the AHL ?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Is Trocheck going back to juniors this year or is he eligible to play in the AHL ?
Pretty sure he's eligible for the AHL. Would love to see him there.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
ShootIt

Trocheck will be in the AHL next year.

Looks like our AHL squad could have a lot of prospects this upcoming season.

Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Trocheck, Petrovic, Shaw(50/50) and McFarland.

Can't recall if Racine is eligible

Old
07-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Trocheck will be in the AHL next year.

Looks like our AHL squad could have a lot of prospects this upcoming season.

Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Trocheck, Petrovic, Shaw(50/50) and McFarland.

Can't recall if Racine is eligible
Racine should be in SA.

-ghoste

Old
07-11-2013, 01:12 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Which prospects do you guys think will be making the lineup for this upcoming season?

Old
07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
Which prospects do you guys think will be making the lineup for this upcoming season?
One of Bjugstad/Shore and Robak/Petrovic.

Maybe Trocheck if we don't sign any FA to fill the top 6 gap and he has a monster TC/Preseason.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
The McFarland thread made me think about the 2010 draft, the implications and thoughts of the draft going in and how those perceptions are unfolding into reality.

The draft from my perspective is a little underwhelming given how many loaded guns we had.

Gudbranson is going to be an effective NHL player, but unquestionably is not the type of player you hope for when picking in this spot. Now any draft is only as good as the players available (people need to treat drafts more independantly from each other) and there was no concensus #3. Would anybody else have taken Gudbranson at #3? Interesting question. You can't hate the pick, but equally it's impossible to like the pick either, at least for me.

Bjugstad is actually a similar case to Gudbranson in that he is a curious project. The only difference is he was taken at #16, not #3, which automatically alters our perspective. Great size and skating, with very good hands and shooting abilities, yet something has yet to truely click. I think it's possible he can become an impact offensive forward, however i wouldn't expect it.

I somewhat loathe the "lets look 5 picks eitherside and see what was drafted" as it's a very lazy and uneducated way of assessing a draft and shows complete contempt for logic and analysis, but in that crude, sense, Bjugstad compares well.

Howden conjurs up similar feelings to Bjugstad/Gudbranson to me, but for different reasons. The upside isn't there, but the projectability is. He's an NHL player waiting to happen. Around the spot he is picked, that isn't bad. Not even close to bad. Still, if it is an above average pick relative to that range delivery, is worthy of meritious responses and acceptance? Curious question.

The 1st round isn't bad. You got 3 NHL players. You can't say it is bad. It just isn't a defining moment. It's not gold and naked ladies crushed into your closet after you return home from church school. You would struggle to pinpoint this round as when "Florida turned it around". Which i think is what we hope(d).

After the 1st, it's tough to say how you should measure it. Is 1 potentially good NHL player from 10 picks outside the 1st actually good? (statistically perhaps). Or is it the continuation of later round mediocirty, not escaping into a realm of success?

McFarland is a million miles away from the NHL. If he makes it, it is in a smaller capacity, for a few years somewhere.

Petrovic has developed well since. The makings of a good NHL player are there. It's reasonable to say this is a highly promising pick still (since we are 3 years later, that is very good).

Brickley is in a similar boat to McFarland. He hasn't progressed and were the puck skills/offensive abilities there to begin with? If he makes the show, again it's in a limited and small time window a million years away from now.

Basabara, again is in the same boat.

Brittain as a goalie is harder to project. A great freshman year and plagued by injuries since, starting only 25 games in 2 years. I don't watch him and projecting goalies are impossible to me. You wouldn't have much hope though, and he's again years away.

Gallacher isn't an NHL prospect.

Donksoi, a pick i liked a lot, isn't on the NHL radar now. After his promising post-draft year, there has been no progression. The times i've seen him since that year, i haven't been left with the impression that there are any significant skills that say he can play in the NHL role that suits his style. We didn't sign him and he'll simply be a solid european pro player going forward.

Hyman, after the initial irrational hype, is all but a non-entity going forward as an NHL prospect.

Durocher is off the radar.

Boyd is a player i can't comment a great deal on.

Judge for yourselves, and your judgement of this draft may well depend on what you expect out of this unique situation (so many picks) and what you deem success (as in meets average requirements and above, or doesn't meet the drafting quality of the best teams).

Old
07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The McFarland thread made me think about the 2010 draft, the implications and thoughts of the draft going in and how those perceptions are unfolding into reality.

The draft from my perspective is a little underwhelming given how many loaded guns we had.

Gudbranson is going to be an effective NHL player, but unquestionably is not the type of player you hope for when picking in this spot. Now any draft is only as good as the players available (people need to treat drafts more independantly from each other) and there was no concensus #3. Would anybody else have taken Gudbranson at #3? Interesting question. You can't hate the pick, but equally it's impossible to like the pick either, at least for me.

Bjugstad is actually a similar case to Gudbranson in that he is a curious project. The only difference is he was taken at #16, not #3, which automatically alters our perspective. Great size and skating, with very good hands and shooting abilities, yet something has yet to truely click. I think it's possible he can become an impact offensive forward, however i wouldn't expect it.

I somewhat loathe the "lets look 5 picks eitherside and see what was drafted" as it's a very lazy and uneducated way of assessing a draft and shows complete contempt for logic and analysis, but in that crude, sense, Bjugstad compares well.

Howden conjurs up similar feelings to Bjugstad/Gudbranson to me, but for different reasons. The upside isn't there, but the projectability is. He's an NHL player waiting to happen. Around the spot he is picked, that isn't bad. Not even close to bad. Still, if it is an above average pick relative to that range delivery, is worthy of meritious responses and acceptance? Curious question.

The 1st round isn't bad. You got 3 NHL players. You can't say it is bad. It just isn't a defining moment. It's not gold and naked ladies crushed into your closet after you return home from church school. You would struggle to pinpoint this round as when "Florida turned it around". Which i think is what we hope(d).

After the 1st, it's tough to say how you should measure it. Is 1 potentially good NHL player from 10 picks outside the 1st actually good? (statistically perhaps). Or is it the continuation of later round mediocirty, not escaping into a realm of success?

McFarland is a million miles away from the NHL. If he makes it, it is in a smaller capacity, for a few years somewhere.

Petrovic has developed well since. The makings of a good NHL player are there. It's reasonable to say this is a highly promising pick still (since we are 3 years later, that is very good).

Brickley is in a similar boat to McFarland. He hasn't progressed and were the puck skills/offensive abilities there to begin with? If he makes the show, again it's in a limited and small time window a million years away from now.

Basabara, again is in the same boat.

Brittain as a goalie is harder to project. A great freshman year and plagued by injuries since, starting only 25 games in 2 years. I don't watch him and projecting goalies are impossible to me. You wouldn't have much hope though, and he's again years away.

Gallacher isn't an NHL prospect.

Donksoi, a pick i liked a lot, isn't on the NHL radar now. After his promising post-draft year, there has been no progression. The times i've seen him since that year, i haven't been left with the impression that there are any significant skills that say he can play in the NHL role that suits his style. We didn't sign him and he'll simply be a solid european pro player going forward.

Hyman, after the initial irrational hype, is all but a non-entity going forward as an NHL prospect.

Durocher is off the radar.

Boyd is a player i can't comment a great deal on.

Judge for yourselves, and your judgement of this draft may well depend on what you expect out of this unique situation (so many picks) and what you deem success (as in meets average requirements and above, or doesn't meet the drafting quality of the best teams).
What kind of messed up/awesome childhood did you have?

Old
07-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

The 2010 draft for me was a success. We got 3 NHL players. Not only that, but 3 players that look to have an important role on our team for years. Could we have hoped for better? Yeah. Is Gudbranson going to become one of the best #3 overalls in recent history? Likely not. But I think they all fill an important need in their own way. And they all represent the size, speed, skill, and character that Tallon wants.

The 2010 draft was an identity building draft. Brickley is another big, tough, speedy forward. He'll probably only be a 4th liner if he makes it, and he's had setbacks with injuries too, but he'd be a nasty 4th liner with good speed and would fill a toughness role. McFarland is another forward in the Tallon mold, although he looks like a complete bust now. But it was a boom/bust pick. Had to figure there'd be at least one of those with all the picks we had. But it also makes me wary of boom/bust selections that high now. My preference is for boom/bust players to be taken in rounds 3-7. Where the likelihood of selecting an NHL player in that range in small anyhow. So why not make boom/bust selections there.

Petrovic looks like a great pick. Basaraba is an OK college player, but likely not an NHLer. He could potentially be a regular in San Antonio though when his college career is over. I admit not the greatest pick, but perhaps he could still play a role in our organization as an AHL power forward that helps out our kids. I still have faith in Brittain. He had his starting job taken away last season, but it was by an outstanding goalie who has already signed an NHL contract with the Jets. This upcoming season is obviously probably the most important of his career. We'll have a better grasp of where he stands in a year.

The rest of the picks are what you'd expect from late round picks. Not much. Although it wouldn't be accurate to say we never have any success with late round picks. Gaiduchenko is a starter in the KHL(even though he'll never play for us). Wade Megan looks like a potential player for us 4 years after his draft, and was an above average college player. He'll definitely be with San Antonio for at least a few years, and then we'll assess after that. Corban Knight was a 5th round pick, also.

Closed Thread