HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
  #876
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 50
Seems like 3/4 of the main candidates to backstop Team Canada are head cases.

Take one of the head cases (I'd say Luongo just because of experience), Ward based on his 'big-game' ability (ie he hasn't memorably **** the bed yet) and whatever Canadian goalie is hottest in the league at the time.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  #877
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I wouldn't mind Phaneuf on the Habs. He can crunch minutes like the best of them, but he probably not an elite d-man like Leafs fans pretend he is.

If he's on the block I wonder what the price would be? What could we offer?
But elite pay: 6.5M.
This is a rental for one year.

If we are contender for the cup, then maybe.
But in the actual situation, he would take ice time from Tinordi.
Tinordi can play in NHL, he just needs more time on the ice.

25get is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
  #878
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 500
Stewart gets a 2 year deal with the Blues at 4.1 and 4.2.... Thought he would get closer to 5.

I want MB to trade for him. now.

Dagistitsyn is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
  #879
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21,981
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Seems like 3/4 of the main candidates to backstop Team Canada are head cases.

Take one of the head cases (I'd say Luongo just because of experience), Ward based on his 'big-game' ability (ie he hasn't memorably **** the bed yet) and whatever Canadian goalie is hottest in the league at the time.
So sad when you think about it...

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
  #880
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,387
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
lol Crawford and his glove hand against the best of the best. No thanks.
You can say "lol Crawford" all you want but it doesn't mean much if you don't suggest some better candidates. You'll find the list of goalies without flaws gets thin extremely quickly.

Besides, let's not pretend like Crawford doesn't face the "best of the best" day in and day out in like any other NHL goalie. This isn't the 70's and 80's with the Soviet Union here.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
  #881
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
I hope Price makes it.

When a team plays with a lack of grit, strength along the boards and a bad defensive scheme (The Swarm leaves Carey out to dry when they can't win a board battle 2v1 or 3v2), the goaltender is pretty helpless.

I'm pretty confident that Price behind Team Canada's defense will be very good.

jedimyrmidon is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
  #882
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
lol Crawford and his glove hand against the best of the best. No thanks.
Let's be honest here and say that we also don't see a great glove hand on Price either. Canada isn't deep so the candidates are just: Ward, Fleury, Crawford, Luongo and Price. It will probably end up to be Crawford, Luongo and Price. But to me, there only 2 sure candidates, Crawford and Luongo. The rest is surely up to the type of season by every goalie available till the choice is made.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:24 PM
  #883
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,387
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's be honest here and say that we also don't see a great glove hand on Price either. Canada isn't deep so the candidates are just: Ward, Fleury, Crawford, Luongo and Price. It will probably end up to be Crawford, Luongo and Price. But to me, there only 2 sure candidates, Crawford and Luongo. The rest is surely up to the type of season by every goalie available till the choice is made.
Yeah, exactly. Assuming Crawford and Luongo don't completely **** the bed from October to February, you have the most recent Cup winner and the most recent gold medal winner as your 1-2. Goalies who can play well for long stretches and have winning experience. Whoever looks best in exhibition/round robin takes #1.

Then for the third one, you take the hottest goalie from Oct-Feb from the rest.

Looking at the U.S., it's crazy how much more solid they are in nets than us. Quick, Anderson and Miller as a possible top 3. Yikes.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
  #884
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,232
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's be honest here and say that we also don't see a great glove hand on Price either. Canada isn't deep so the candidates are just: Ward, Fleury, Crawford, Luongo and Price. It will probably end up to be Crawford, Luongo and Price. But to me, there only 2 sure candidates, Crawford and Luongo. The rest is surely up to the type of season by every goalie available till the choice is made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You can say "lol Crawford" all you want but it doesn't mean much if you don't suggest some better candidates. You'll find the list of goalies without flaws gets thin extremely quickly.

Besides, let's not pretend like Crawford doesn't face the "best of the best" day in and day out in like any other NHL goalie. This isn't the 70's and 80's with the Soviet Union here.
Canada's goalies do suck, but I think we are overrating Crawford because of one playoff run. The year before he had a .903 SV% and was merely an afterthought. He's simply an above average goalie on a great team. Now, that's exactly what Canada is, but they shouldn't just settle for the "best of the worst". Crawford hasn't ever played for Canada either, not in the U-18, not in the WJC, not in the World Championships. Canada appreciates previous international success when selecting their teams.

Someone will establish himself before the Olympics.

le_sean is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
  #885
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,387
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Canada's goalies do suck, but I think we are overrating Crawford because of one playoff run. The year before he had a .903 SV% and was merely an afterthought. He's simply a good goalie on a great team. Now, that's exactly what Canada is, but they shouldn't just settle for the "best of the worst".

Someone will establish himself before the Olympics.
One playoff run is all you really need though. The Olympics is such a short tournament that I would definitely put heavy emphasis on whichever goalie is hot most recently. And that's been Crawford for the last year.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  #886
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Don't rule out Brodeur, if he's having even just an ok season then he'll be in the discusion

ScottFC is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
  #887
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's be honest here and say that we also don't see a great glove hand on Price either. Canada isn't deep so the candidates are just: Ward, Fleury, Crawford, Luongo and Price. It will probably end up to be Crawford, Luongo and Price. But to me, there only 2 sure candidates, Crawford and Luongo. The rest is surely up to the type of season by every goalie available till the choice is made.
Mike Smith may be the best Canadian goalie in the game right now. Big, calm, cool, positionally sound, plays the puck well.

Everything Price could be someday.

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:31 PM
  #888
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Mike Smith may be the best Canadian goalie in the game right now. Big, calm, cool, positionally sound, plays the puck well.

Everything Price could be someday.
I think Smith is more the result of Tippett's system more than anything. Pretty much like any St. Louis Blues goalie.

Chris Cutter is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
  #889
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Mike Smith may be the best Canadian goalie in the game right now. Big, calm, cool, positionally sound, plays the puck well.

Everything Price could be someday.
He will also be considered for sure. Would need a great start of season though, at least that's what I think.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:43 PM
  #890
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
If Canada goes with a more mobile defense corp this time, and they should on the big ice, they will need a goalie who can handle the puck behind them.

M.Staal-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Hamhuis-Subban

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:49 PM
  #891
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,387
vCash: 500
Awards:
Totally forgot about Smith, good call. I think he definitely has the inside track on the others. Put up great numbers at the WCs last year too. I would put them in the following tiers, from virtual locks to pretty unlikely:

Luongo
-----
Crawford
Smith
-----
Price
Ward
Brodeur
-----
Reimer
Fleury
Dubnyk
-----
Holtby
Bernier
Emery
Mason

Of course, their play during the season will carry a lot of weight as well.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  #892
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Wow I didn't realize how underrated price has become here.

CP31 is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
  #893
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
If Canada goes with a more mobile defense corp this time, and they should on the big ice, they will need a goalie who can handle the puck behind them.

M.Staal-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Hamhuis-Subban
So you don't have either Shea Weber or Kris Letang making the team?


Last edited by sheed36: 07-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
sheed36 is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
  #894
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Totally forgot about Smith, good call. I think he definitely has the inside track on the others. Put up great numbers at the WCs last year too. I would put them in the following tiers, from virtual locks to pretty unlikely:

Luongo
-----
Crawford
Smith
-----
Price
Ward
Brodeur
-----
Reimer
Fleury
Dubnyk
-----
Holtby
Bernier
Emery
Mason

Of course, their play during the season will carry a lot of weight as well.
This list is so bad it gave me cancer. Price is better then Crawford and Smith.

76ftw is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
  #895
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
This list is so bad it gave me cancer. Price is better then Crawford and Smith.
No. Price has better POTENTIAL than those guys. Not the same thing.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
  #896
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If Smith gets nominated to the Team Canada and plays? I won't watch.

The guy is terribad. He is a product of the Phoenix system and nothing more.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 05:55 PM
  #897
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Smith gets nominated to the Team Canada and plays? I won't watch.

The guy is terribad. He is a product of the Phoenix system and nothing more.
This.

EveryDay is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 06:02 PM
  #898
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No. Price has better POTENTIAL than those guys. Not the same thing.
If I'm choosing a an entire team to play internationally, I take Price before Smith or Crawford in a heartbeat. And you know I'm not some price fanboy.

overlords is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
  #899
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
So you don't have either Shea Weber or Kris Letang making the team?
Nope. Subban takes Weber's spot and Seabrook pairs better with Keith.

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 06:20 PM
  #900
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,751
vCash: 500
Mike Smith is bad and anybody that consider him for team Canada should feel bad.

Lebowski is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.