HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 08:53 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Karlsson begs to differ.
Karlsson sucked big time in that series

Old
07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Karlsson begs to differ.
Karlsson is not a forward... Oh wait...

Old
07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Galcherock
Scouting for size

We should be excited about his next year's performance.I see a lot more in him than a typical #2 center that he is projected to be.

I can see him have at least 50% chance of achieving superstar status at one point. I look forward to see our great dane develop in front of our eyes next year. Keep it up Lars!

Old
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Before the Gryba hit, I'd be willing to say that he was the best forward on the ice, for both teams.
It was definitely coming together. Even better since people berated the Halak trade, and now the Blues are trying to get rid of Jaro while Eller played like the most consistent forward on the Habs.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcherock View Post
We should be excited about his next year's performance.I see a lot more in him than a typical #2 center that he is projected to be.

I can see him have at least 50% chance of achieving superstar status at one point. I look forward to see our great dane develop in front of our eyes next year. Keep it up Lars!
I doubt he reaches superstar status. I'm just hoping that Eller can bring his defensive game to a Plekanec level, while putting up 18-22 goals a season and 48-55 points. I think those expectations are reasonable for Lars.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It was definitely coming together. Even better since people berated the Halak trade, and now the Blues are trying to get rid of Jaro while Eller played like the most consistent forward on the Habs.
and the boohoo shoulda kept halak crowd dispersed

when the gryba hit occured, I was showering and I quiety told myself 'that's it, were gonna lose this series'. At the time I came to see has the lynchpin of our three offensive line strategy.

Greatest Dane is the correct answer

Old
07-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Galcherock
Scouting for size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I doubt he reaches superstar status. I'm just hoping that Eller can bring his defensive game to a Plekanec level, while putting up 18-22 goals a season and 48-55 points. I think those expectations are reasonable for Lars.
He just wants to prove us all wrong. Two weeks after his concussion he was already training for next season....he oozes potential I always saw it from the start.

Expect to be surprised

Old
07-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Young 50-60 point big forward who can play physical/skilled game/tough minutes defensively/skate well/kill penalties/with mythical 'character'?

He'd be an untouchable.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
25get

Quote:
That's what he did last year.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think he has the potential to be even better than Plekanec. As long as he stays as physically involved as last year.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
I think he has the potential to be even better than Plekanec. As long as he stays as physically involved as last year.
I'm not sure he'll ever have the defensive hockey sense of a guy like Pleks. Not a knock on Eller, but pleks really is just that good. But I hope that Eller's frame can help make up for a bit of the difference.

Offensively I think it can end up being a wash. Eller is more creative offensively but has a few more brain fart moments.

All that being said, bigger, stronger plekanec? Sign me up!

Old
07-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Eller on the wing?

Prust as a center?
What do you want... its really the top 3 lines that mather for me and yeah on the wing or center doesn't really mather ( its a choice between galchenyuk and him to lose a center spot imo) i want top talent with top talent... and yes i could swap gallagher with briere.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 07-19-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
07-19-2013, 11:32 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Boom

Old
07-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Andy

Quote:
Yup, let's hope that he can now be consistent in that performance until the end of his career (I personally don't see it being a problem if he gets the icetime). However, I don't think his defensive game was nor is it at a Plekanec level yet (and that's not a knock against Eller). If he can bring up his defensive play another notch, we'll see something special.

He's a keeper and something to be excited about for sure.

Old
07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Draft

I'm hoping Lars Eller will be a Mikko Koivu comparable in the near future. With a little more confidence and involvement in the play, he should be an excellent 2-way center.

Old
07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not sure he'll ever have the defensive hockey sense of a guy like Pleks. Not a knock on Eller, but pleks really is just that good. But I hope that Eller's frame can help make up for a bit of the difference.

Offensively I think it can end up being a wash. Eller is more creative offensively but has a few more brain fart moments.

I actually think Eller has potential to be better than Plekanec offensively. He needs to put it all together still and that's easier said than done, but Plekanec neither has the strength or hands to control the puck in tight spaces or when the game slows down (or in shootouts...), the only thing Plekanec really has over Eller besides decision making is arguably a better shot.

I agree that Eller probably won't be quite Pleks level defensively though, but that says more about how good Plekanec is.

But if Eller plays like he did in the second half of the season, watch out NHL.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:15 PM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:

Pleky doesnt have visible brain farts be he does carry pucks/offensive plays into a dead end quite often and that's even truer when he's tired. You know, how he'll pick up the puck at center ice and then skate down towards the boards without attempting a play? Most of the time that results in puck loss and a counter-attack.

Not really a knock on him since, after all, carrying the puck deep into enemy zone is the safest move a forward can make but he does seem to have a tendency to not attempt any play he deems risky. I'm a huge Pleky fan but i'll have to agree with the previous poster; it's Eller's job to lose.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I actually think Eller has potential to be better than Plekanec offensively. He needs to put it all together still and that's easier said than done, but Plekanec neither has the strength or hands to control the puck in tight spaces or when the game slows down (or in shootouts...), the only thing Plekanec really has over Eller besides decision making is arguably a better shot.

I agree that Eller probably won't be quite Pleks level defensively though, but that says more about how good Plekanec is.

But if Eller plays like he did in the second half of the season, watch out NHL.
Passing too, IMO. Pleks makes some ridiculous passes sometimes and for awhile was one of the best at the 2 on 1 saucer passes right on the tape.

Faster skater too.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
What do you want... its really the top 3 lines that mather for me and yeah on the wing or center doesn't really mather ( its a choice between galchenyuk and him to lose a center spot imo) i want top talent with top talent... and yes i could swap gallagher with briere.
In recent years, trend was about Duos:
Galchenyuk - Eller
Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais.
Were the favored duos.

Bourque will complement Plek-Gionta

Two remaining are Gallagher and Briere.
Expect Briere to bring experience to Eller and Galcheyuk.

We also saw a tendency from MT, to bring stability and spread the ice time on a top-9.
He even kept the sames lines on the PP often.
Goal is probably to build chemistry.

So unless a duo fail to produce, these are the lines to expect to begin the season.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Milhouse40

I always thought that Eller has the Tools to suceed, but i always hated how Martin used him and never made him progress.

WE're talking about an offensive prospect who was thrown in the NHL without being fully ready, and they put him in a defensive role, on a defensive team.

You saw his ability to forecheck this year.....but with Martin, i'm not sure if forechecking was really allowed.

But what impress me the most is that he started the year on the bench, fourth line and wings......but he never gave up and kept working hard. And he finish the year as one of our best forward.....if not the best!!

Old
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Passing too, IMO. Pleks makes some ridiculous passes sometimes and for awhile was one of the best at the 2 on 1 saucer passes right on the tape.

Faster skater too.
Eller is big, but he is quite a skater. He's actually beaten Subban twice in the "fastest skater" competition. One was in the Habs skills competition. The other was in the AHL in 2010.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

That's my exact same line of thought, but I'd give the edge to Eller because while his defensive game will not be as sound as Pleky, he will more than make up for it with his physicality and his creativity offensively.

I think those brain farts will actually diminish as it's one part of Eller's game that will progress as he gains more confidence.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
That's my exact same line of thought, but I'd give the edge to Eller because while his defensive game will not be as sound as Pleky, he will more than make up for it with his physicality and his creativity offensively.

I think those brain farts will actually diminish as it's one part of Eller's game that will progress as he gains more confidence.
I think maturity will help, but more than anything I just don't think he's used to playing with offensive players all that much, or of being put in an offensive role. Christ I've played on the habs powerplay almost as much as he has.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
25get

Quote:
Yup, let's hope that he can now be consistent in that performance until the end of his career (I personally don't see it being a problem if he gets the icetime). However, I don't think his defensive game was nor is it at a Plekanec level yet (and that's not a knock against Eller). If he can bring up his defensive play another notch, we'll see something special.

He's a keeper and something to be excited about for sure.
I think he is going to improve.

In April, he and Galchenyuk both did 14 points in 15 games.
I do expect him to get 60+ points next season.

This team has proven that they have great offense during last season.
This is bound to improve their confidence.

Old
07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I think he is going to improve.

In April, he and Galchenyuk both did 14 points in 15 games.
I do expect him to get 60+ points next season.

This team has proven that they have great offense during last season.
This is bound to improve their confidence.
The problem with eller's production isn't necessarily how he plays, but how often and in what role he is employed.

Closed Thread