HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone in Vancouver/lower mainland?

Old
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
bipolarhabfan

vCash: 500
I live in Burnaby.

[QUOTE=wade;6932288]i wanted to move to vancouver.. but one of the reasons why I haven't decided to go was

1)I have would have no employment when I move there so it'd be too much of a risk

2)housing is appearently off the charts in prices

3)I'd be too far from the habs!!!!

#3 was my biggest concern [/QUOTE}

For #2, I would recommend a seizure of a loaded Brinks truck as the avg. price of a house in the GVRD is

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
I'm in South Surrey.

GO HABS GO!!
me too, although its not really something to be proud of.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
i wanted to move to vancouver.. but one of the reasons why I haven't decided to go was

1)I have would have no employment when I move there so it'd be too much of a risk

2)housing is appearently off the charts in prices

3)I'd be too far from the habs!!!!

#3 was my biggest concern

Number one isn't a very good reason honestly. BC is getting to be very similiar to Alberta. Right now, its an employees market. Working in management for a major grocery/retail chain, i see how difficult it is to find quality workers. My employees are unionized and some of them are making upwards of 24 bucks an hour. Not bad for cutting boxes and putting out stock.

Old
10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERPETUALSMILEZ View Post
I live in the Vancouver area and find it hard to find any habs fans
I find this hard to believe

there's tons of habs fans in here... they are just really spread out over the province.

When the habs come to GM place, they all seem to come together from all over the province and join up in downtown vancouver at GM Place

It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of habs fans here in van

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
south surrey and north surrey are like 2 completely different worlds... If I lived in Surrey, it would definitly be the south surrey/white rock area

Old
10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
south surrey and north surrey are like 2 completely different worlds... If I lived in Surrey, it would definitly be the south surrey/white rock area
thats is very true, south surrey is definitely nice, whalley on the other hand

Old
10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Hackett, where you living now? We should hook up for a habs game one day...

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post

They're suppose to be lots of Quebecers in Coquitlam some neighburhood called M something VILLE, can't quite remember.

I think you mean Maillardville. It once contained a substantial french speaking population but now, to my knowledge, it's no different than the rest of Coquitlam.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:26 AM
vcx*

Quote:
You should meet up at Sharks, Mr Ballsack ripper.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Duster

Quote:
Agreed. The West Beach has its moments. Couldn't live anywhere else.

Old
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Reiher

Quote:
Number one isn't a very good reason honestly. BC is getting to be very similiar to Alberta. Right now, its an employees market. Working in management for a major grocery/retail chain, i see how difficult it is to find quality workers. My employees are unionized and some of them are making upwards of 24 bucks an hour. Not bad for cutting boxes and putting out stock.
please elaborate where? I worked at a grocery store in yaletown and they paid ****all piss poor ****. I refuse to ever work retail again.

On another note, I too just watch the habs games at home. But I do see quite a few habs hats or jerseys around, it's pretty far from being a habless supporting province. Though I'm glad I still live at home, housing is bloody murder out here.

Reiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Le Maroons

I'm going to Vancouver on Thursday for a week. Yay, somewhere other than here, woohoo, go somewhere else go.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 01:14 AM
bayrider

Was born in Montreal, spent my high school years in Cloverdale/Langley. Moved back to Montreal after I graduated.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:16 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
yeah, I think all of us should hook up from the lower mainland....

maybe go to the shark club when the habs and canucks play later this season ... that would be a blast.

Or if you want to keep it local... I guess Garry T's isn't bad... not my first choice though

BTW, to answer your question... I live in north delta on the border of surrey/delta... scott rd and 82nd... not too far from you or from nash13

It would be a real neat idea to get everyone together around here though

Old
10-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You should meet up at Sharks, Mr Ballsack ripper.
hehe, nice to see another east indian around these parts.

Old
10-31-2006, 02:22 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Hey guys,

I live in Richmond, B.C. Count me in for a get together to watch a habs game

KOMO_ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
please elaborate where? I worked at a grocery store in yaletown and they paid ****all piss poor ****. I refuse to ever work retail again.

On another note, I too just watch the habs games at home. But I do see quite a few habs hats or jerseys around, it's pretty far from being a habless supporting province. Though I'm glad I still live at home, housing is bloody murder out here.

Without giving out free advertising and too much info, our grocery staff can make upwards of 24 bucks an hour, if they are full time, they have full dental/medical, pension plan, a shares/investment program. Knowing some of our competition, i know many of them are similiar, unless say you are a sprawl mart.I know our vendors, which i am sure you can use your imagination who i am referring to, the guys who come in and fill shelves and place orders again are making like 25 an hour.

I know cashiers at a certain pharmacy are making close 20 buck an hour as well. If you work at a warehouses for many of these large chains, again i know many guys making over 20 an hour.

Also, retail is not for everyone. Hell its not even for me, i am just hanging in their getting some experience. Trust me, theres lots out there

Old
10-31-2006, 02:27 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

maybe go to the shark club when the habs and canucks play later this season ... that would be a blast.

Or if you want to keep it local... I guess Garry T's isn't bad... not my first choice though

BTW, to answer your question... I live in north delta on the border of surrey/delta... scott rd and 82nd... not too far from you or from nash13

damn its funny how close you realize you are to some people when you start talking

Old
10-31-2006, 03:00 AM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:

That's a great idea

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 04:18 AM
Reiher

Quote:
Without giving out free advertising and too much info, our grocery staff can make upwards of 24 bucks an hour, if they are full time, they have full dental/medical, pension plan, a shares/investment program. Knowing some of our competition, i know many of them are similiar, unless say you are a sprawl mart.I know our vendors, which i am sure you can use your imagination who i am referring to, the guys who come in and fill shelves and place orders again are making like 25 an hour.

I know cashiers at a certain pharmacy are making close 20 buck an hour as well. If you work at a warehouses for many of these large chains, again i know many guys making over 20 an hour.

Also, retail is not for everyone. Hell its not even for me, i am just hanging in their getting some experience. Trust me, theres lots out there
damn, then I was getting ripped off, and everyone else in the store was getting ripped off. 8.50$/hr...and the full time guy who'd been there for a year and a bit was making 12.85$/hr, something like that, even lead hand makes like 16$/hr....so where is it that you work again? because safeway, superstore, nester's market where I worked. I know for fact that no one there makes more then 8.50$/hr starting and if you're full time then maybe 10~12$/hr but no more then that....

though true that working in the warehouses you get more, and driving the merchandise around pays pretty well too. But working in the actual store...not so much, the ***** boy putting the stuff out on the shelf makes peanuts. Retail sucks, and I think it sucks for just about everyone, it's a matter of how rigurous and how long you can endure the annoyance of it. And really it comes down to being lazy and not wanting to go back to school. Just about everyone I know in the industry plans on getting the hell out at one point or another, that or don't have any education and don't plan on getting any education. Lotta students work **** jobs, and it sucks because it hardly pays for tuition...I mean **** where do I come up with 5000$ a year when you're at school all the time and need to be using your weekend time to be studying...student loan I say. But if you're to live on your own...in BC that's almost impossible enless you go into a program that's not super demanding, or if you get lucky with a student loan and then are in debt 10~15K.

Last edited by Reiher: 10-31-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Reiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:02 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
damn, then I was getting ripped off, and everyone else in the store was getting ripped off. 8.50$/hr...and the full time guy who'd been there for a year and a bit was making 12.85$/hr, something like that, even lead hand makes like 16$/hr....so where is it that you work again? because safeway, superstore, nester's market where I worked. I know for fact that no one there makes more then 8.50$/hr starting and if you're full time then maybe 10~12$/hr but no more then that....

though true that working in the warehouses you get more, and driving the merchandise around pays pretty well too. But working in the actual store...not so much, the ***** boy putting the stuff out on the shelf makes peanuts. Retail sucks, and I think it sucks for just about everyone, it's a matter of how rigurous and how long you can endure the annoyance of it. And really it comes down to being lazy and not wanting to go back to school. Just about everyone I know in the industry plans on getting the hell out at one point or another, that or don't have any education and don't plan on getting any education. Lotta students work **** jobs, and it sucks because it hardly pays for tuition...I mean **** where do I come up with 5000$ a year when you're at school all the time and need to be using your weekend time to be studying...student loan I say. But if you're to live on your own...in BC that's almost impossible enless you go into a program that's not super demanding, or if you get lucky with a student loan and then are in debt 10~15K.
I dont know what the situation at Safeway is right now but a few years ago, they got a pretty sweet deal... I know cashiers making 20+/hr over there.... I guess its all about being in the right place at the right time.

Old
10-31-2006, 07:54 AM
SerialSeb

Quote:
It's better then living in Walley...

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:12 AM
SerialSeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I think you mean Maillardville. It once contained a substantial french speaking population but now, to my knowledge, it's no different than the rest of Coquitlam.
Ahh well that blows.

Guess I should have stayed there. That would have helped...

But it was to far I mean you look on a map it looks like next door, but traffic is retarded. it would take me 45+ minutes to get from Port Moody to SOuth Van (Main and Marine). That's insane. And the NO highways in Vancouver thing is just crazy.

ps: Man! I miss the sushi... the sushi here sucks they put tempura in every freakin' roll. They quebecoise the hell out of it. Like a Pizza sushi.

I should open a real sushi shop, cause 5.50 for a spicy tuna roll, with very little tuna but lots of tempura. IS NOT COOL.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:

Hitting the Shark Club is definitely a great idea. We should pick a game in the future and have a HFBoards night there. It could be an awesome time.

XXXXX, as Hackett said, could to see another one of us around.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post
Ahh well that blows.

Guess I should have stayed there. That would have helped...

But it was to far I mean you look on a map it looks like next door, but traffic is retarded. it would take me 45+ minutes to get from Port Moody to SOuth Van (Main and Marine). That's insane. And the NO highways in Vancouver thing is just crazy.

ps: Man! I miss the sushi... the sushi here sucks they put tempura in every freakin' roll. They quebecoise the hell out of it. Like a Pizza sushi.

I should open a real sushi shop, cause 5.50 for a spicy tuna roll, with very little tuna but lots of tempura. IS NOT COOL.
Yeah, Hwy1 is a b****, so is the Massey Tunnel. Makes working from home very popular. Life's a beach

There is a substantial french speaking population in White Rock and in Surrey. Enough to warrant French Immersion in some primary schools and a French school board. Lots of francophone yuppies in Kits and North Van too.

Pizza sushi? omg... Next thing you know, they'll have Tourtiere or Poutine Sushi. Add ketchup instead of wasabi...yuck.

For you Surrey folks, the Sandpiper on the East Beach will put on a Habs game on one of the TVs if you ask.