HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official NHLers/Oilers @ The Olympics Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 02:51 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Team Canada's Centre Depth, in no particular order
Crosby, Bergeron, Richards, Spezza, Thornton, Giroux, Benn, Carter, Duchene, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Stamkos, Tavares.

For argument's sake:
Bergeron-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Spezza-Benn
Thornton-Richards-Carter
Hall-Staal-Giroux

That's an all-centre lineup. So, unless RNH averages 4 points a game for the first month of hockey, I don't see him really getting an invite this time around.
I could see a line up like this. Always going to be a injury or two, and you just don't know who is going to have a great season. If a line is really geling, I could see a whole line from the same team.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Petry could get a camp invite but there is no possible way he is making the team.

Suter, Yandle, McDonagh, Leddy, Byfuglien, Johnson x2, Bogosian, Orpk, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Carle and maybe some others are all better than him.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Team Canada's Centre Depth, in no particular order
Crosby, Bergeron, Richards, Spezza, Thornton, Giroux, Benn, Carter, Duchene, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Stamkos, Tavares.

For argument's sake:
Bergeron-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Spezza-Benn
Thornton-Richards-Carter
Staal-Staal-Giroux

That's an all-centre lineup. So, unless RNH averages 4 points a game for the first month of hockey, I don't see him really getting an invite this time around.
Wow.

Toews didn't even make your squad? Dude was our best forward last time round.

D:

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Matt19Oilers

Just for fun, here's my Canadian Olympic roster:

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Toews-Nash
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-E.Staal
Neal

Pietrangelo-Weber
Letang-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
M.Staal

Price
Luongo
Crawford

As expected, lots of centermen forced to play wing, some wingers playing on their off-wing, and a ton of defensemen playing on their off-side due to us having so many right-handers. The goaltending is the only part that I had to think hard about, and even then I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:48 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Wow.

Toews didn't even make your squad? Dude was our best forward last time round.

D:
I knew I forgot someone! ******* it. I wrote his name down and everything...

He's a fourth liner though, at best

Toews-Staal-Giroux

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

As much as I love Hall as a player, he will be in tough to make Team Canada. Two reasons stick out for me:

1) He had a poor World Hockey Championships. One can blame Ruff for not giving him the opportunity to shine, but he definitely did not help his case.

2) He shoots left-handed. Three of the center positions are highly likely to be given to Crosby, Toews, and Bergeron as they all are strong on faceoffs (the first two shoot left, whereas Bergeron shoots right). Babcock wants to play a possession game and if Canada wins the draw they will have possession of the puck more often than not so expect those three to be on the ice a lot. That leaves one center spot to be filled by numerous all-star centers. For example, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Thornton, M Richards, E Staal, Spezza, Duchene, Carter, among others. Long story, short is that a lot of centers will be asked to play wing (as usual) and the majority of them shoot left-handed, making them better candidates to play LW rather than RW.

Moreover, I feel at least one of the wing spots will go to Sharp and/or Marleau (which would remove another potential spot from Hall). The former play may be chosen because of his positional versatility and the latter because of his speed and ability to play the PK.

I hope Hall comes roaring out the gates and makes it impossible for Team Canada's brass to ignore him. In his favor, he will have a strong advocate in the selection meetings with Lowe being on the management team.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Hall for Team Canada
Smid and maybe Hemsky for the Czechs
Yakupov and Belov for Russia

I don't think the other guys make it.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
As much as I love Hall as a player, he will be in tough to make Team Canada. Two reasons stick out for me:

1) He had a poor World Hockey Championships. One can blame Ruff for not giving him the opportunity to shine, but he definitely did not help his case.

2) He shoots left-handed. Three of the center positions are highly likely to be given to Crosby, Toews, and Bergeron as they all are strong on faceoffs (the first two shoot left, whereas Bergeron shoots right). Babcock wants to play a possession game and if Canada wins the draw they will have possession of the puck more often than not so expect those three to be on the ice a lot. That leaves one center spot to be filled by numerous all-star centers. For example, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Thornton, M Richards, E Staal, Spezza, Duchene, Carter, among others. Long story, short is that a lot of centers will be asked to play wing (as usual) and the majority of them shoot left-handed, making them better candidates to play LW rather than RW.

Moreover, I feel at least one of the wing spots will go to Sharp and/or Marleau (which would remove another potential spot from Hall). The former play may be chosen because of his positional versatility and the latter because of his speed and ability to play the PK.

I hope Hall comes roaring out the gates and makes it impossible for Team Canada's brass to ignore him. In his favor, he will have a strong advocate in the selection meetings with Lowe being on the management team.
Hall is Canada's best natural LW by a fair margin imo. The only one who is really even close is Nash but I see both of them making the team over guys like Carter, Marleau, Duchene and Spezza.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Canada's strategy in 2010 was to pick as many natural wingers as they could and it paid off. They'll do the same thing next year.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:16 PM
SephF
See you next time

I really hope Hall makes it, I don't see much hope for Eberle but we'll see.

Here are how I'd like the lines to look off the top of my head, probably have some glaring omissions.

Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Nash-Toews-Bergeron
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
M.Richards / Couture

(Bergeron can take faceoffs for other lines or on his strong side, also will PK at center, that checking line makes me drool)

Pietrangelo-Weber
Doughty-Subban
Keith-Seabrook
Letang

(sooo many righties, I'd considering Hamhuis or Staal if his health is good)

Price
Luongo
Smith

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Krut

Quote:

There aren't a lot of Canadian LW better than Hall. As in maybe 1. And if Babcock wants to play a possession game there isn't a better winger to do it than Hall.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

You guys are delusional if you think Dubnyk will make Team Canada. In no certain order:

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash
Duschene-Toews-Lucic
Perry-Giroux-Getzlaf
Ladd-Tavares-Couture
Bergeron
E Staal
Thornton
St Louis
Benn?

Weber-Subban
Doughty-Seabrook
Keith-Letang
Boyle
Petriangelo

Price
Luongo
Crawford

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Hall, Eberle, Yak, Dubnyk, Petry, Smid, Harti, Belov, Klefbom and Maricin will all see invites to their teams.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:30 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
You guys are delusional if you think Dubnyk will make Team Canada. In no certain order:

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash
Duschene-Toews-Lucic
Perry-Giroux-Getzlaf
Ladd-Tavares-Couture
Bergeron
E Staal
Thornton
St Louis
Benn?

Weber-Subban
Doughty-Seabrook
Keith-Letang
Boyle
Petriangelo

Price
Luongo
Crawford
Camp invite isn't the same as making the team.

I expect they'll throw him a bone and invite him considering the work he's put in for team Canada. Doesn't have a hope at the team though.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:31 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
I think Lucic would be awful on international ice.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash
Duschene-Toews-Lucic
Perry-Giroux-Getzlaf
Ladd-Tavares-Couture
Bergeron
E Staal
Thornton
St Louis
Benn?

Weber-Subban
Doughty-Seabrook
Keith-Letang
Boyle
Petriangelo

Price
Luongo
Crawford
Dubnyk is not making Team Canada unless he owns some blackmail material on all of them. Camp invite, though, he's in the argument.

Bergeron, arguably Canada's second best 2-way centre, if not the best, is making the team over Puck-Hog "Duschene" and Small-Ice Lucic.

Also, lots of head-scratchers on the lines. But eh. It's stacked. And I'd reckon Hall before Couture, but that's just me.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
There aren't a lot of Canadian LW better than Hall. As in maybe 1. And if Babcock wants to play a possession game there isn't a better winger to do it than Hall.
Offensively, no, there are not many wingers better than Hall. That being said, he did not shine at the World Hockey Championships. Players like Duchene and Ladd (players he will compete with for a spot) out-played Hall on European ice dimensions. Moreover, Babcock/Yzerman and the other managers want a team with versatility and that gives a leg-up to players who can win faceoffs and play the PK (e.g., Duchene, Richards, Carter, Marleau, Sharp, etc...).

Once again, I hope Hall forces management's hand (e.g., Iginla in 2002), but I am not going to consider it a tragedy if Hall is left off the final roster.

Old
07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Krut

Quote:
Offensively, no, there are not many wingers better than Hall. That being said, he did not shine at the World Hockey Championships. Players like Duchene and Ladd (players he will compete with for a spot) out-played Hall on European ice dimensions. Moreover, Babcock/Yzerman and the other managers want a team with versatility and that gives a leg-up to players who can win faceoffs and play the PK (e.g., Duchene, Richards, Carter, Marleau, Sharp, etc...).

Once again, I hope Hall forces management's hand (e.g., Iginla in 2002), but I am not going to consider it a tragedy if Hall is left off the final roster.
Anything that went on at the World Championships should be thrown out the window IMO. Hall is a much better player than Ladd and Duchene period. I didn't watch a lot of the worlds, but Hall got the **** end of the stick from the coaching staff from all the reports I heard.

Canada has tried to outsmart themselves roster wise in the past (2006) and it failed miserably. Players were left off that team that clearly should have been there and everyone saw the result. We took all our best players in 2010 and we won gold.

Hall is one of the best Canadian forwards, and I would consider it absurd if he is left off the team (provided he at least continues where he left off last year).

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Hall is a lock for Team Canada. He's Canada's best LW in the NHL right now. I'm sure Eberle, Nuge and Schultz are being considered but need to have strong seasons to have a chance. Smid is a lock for the Czech team, Hemsky will be on it if he's healthy. Petry will get an invite but has basically no shot of making that team unless he has a break out season. I wouldn't consider Yak a lock for the Russian team but he definitely has a good chance to make the team. Anton Belov was the KHL's best defenseman so I'm sure he'll be invited. Marincin for Slovakia looks good too. I think the Olympics will be great for his development getting a chance to play with guys like Hossa, Chara, Visnovsky, Gaborik etc..

So I think Hall, Smid, Hemsky, Yakupov, Marincin will all be in the Olympics.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Anything that went on at the World Championships should be thrown out the window IMO. Hall is a much better player than Ladd and Duchene period. I didn't watch a lot of the worlds, but Hall got the **** end of the stick from the coaching staff from all the reports I heard.

Canada has tried to outsmart themselves roster wise in the past (2006) and it failed miserably. Players were left off that team that clearly should have been there and everyone saw the result. We took all our best players in 2010 and we won gold.

Hall is one of the best Canadian forwards, and I would consider it absurd if he is left off the team (provided he at least continues where he left off last year).
I disagree. Balanced two-way players in Bergeron, M Richards, Morrow, Marleau, and E Staal made the Vancouver 2010 team over better star offensive players in Carter, Stamkos, and St. Louis. There are numerous factors to consider each Olympics as the dynamics and potential players change significantly over 4 years.

Old
07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash
Duschene-Toews-Lucic
Perry-Giroux-Getzlaf
Ladd-Tavares-Couture
Bergeron
E Staal
Thornton
St Louis
Benn?

Weber-Subban
Doughty-Seabrook
Keith-Letang
Boyle
Petriangelo

Price
Luongo
Crawford
Yes, that is ridiculous but Lucic being on the team isn't...hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
NHL players couldn't give 5 ****s about the Olympics. Just show dem the $$$$$.
What a load of crap.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Musashi

Quote:

I agree. I think Hall will have a very good case to make Team Canada but I see them going in a different direction and will ultimately choose a more experienced player like a Sharp or Marleau over him.

We will see though. Taylor Hall will make it a tough decision for them.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Team Canada's goaltending scares the crap out of me.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
timekeep

Hope I'm wrong but Yaks didn't get allot of love a couple of months ago with the World Championships. Hopefully he is playing good enough for a look from them.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:30 PM
czar99

It's crazy to think of the players that get off the Olympic team. Can't we send two teams.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote