HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Stewart resigns (2 yrs-4.1 and 4.2 per)

Old
07-19-2013, 06:12 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I just don't see Stewart ever being a consistent player. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to avoid getting into these hot and cold runs. We just have to hope he gets hot at the right time.

I really don't believe he is lazy. I think people say he is lazy because of his size and the fact he isn't a very physical player at the best of times. When things are going well he doesn't think, the rest of the time you can see him thinking about every little thing he does and any instincts he had disappear.

If he just added physicality to his game consistently I don't think people would complain about his streaky scoring or below average overall play nearly as much.
Stewart didn't look lazy at all in the playoffs, but he wasn't productive offensively. He had a bit of a snakebite or could easily have potted a couple goals. The thing that I found most significant though, was that he was competent defensively and playing within the system. That was a big step forward from last season's playoffs.

I really don't see why he doesn't build on that growth and have an even better season and POST-season next year.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
OCTA8ON

vCash: 500
I would just like to point that out that many of the great goal scorers around the league, especially in the eastern conference would probably be streaky too if they didn't have their playmakers with them. If you expect Stewart to set up the plays himself and finish them, we could never have afforded him in the first place. He would be an elite all star at that point. Having Roy, and hopefully Stastny in the future, will bring consistency to Stewart's game because Stewart wasn't even playing with an effective playmaker last year.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:33 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
The whole consistent thing annoys me because there are honestly only a few players in the whole league that score consistently. Those players are PPG plus players. Bobby Ryan is really comparable to Stewart yet Bobby Ryan is one of the few players to score 30 goals a season the last 4 full seasons.

Bobby Ryan disappears for long stretches scores when he's hot ect. Most people here were hot on get Bobby Ryan but ask Duck fans in general they saw him the same way we see Stewart.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:58 PM
jarmoismyhero

Consistency or not if he puts up 30 goals and 60 points there will be a team that will pay him a minimum of Horton money and term and with Stewarts natural talent those numbers should not shock anyone. Stewart's agent knows this which is why I expect he loves the 2 year deal and it works for the Blues right now.

The key is how Army handles this going forward they cannot afford to lose him for nothing in two years. IMO the best scenario is he has a monster season this year and we bite the bullet and sell him high.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:59 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The whole consistent thing annoys me because there are honestly only a few players in the whole league that score consistently. Those players are PPG plus players. Bobby Ryan is really comparable to Stewart yet Bobby Ryan is one of the few players to score 30 goals a season the last 4 full seasons.

Bobby Ryan disappears for long stretches scores when he's hot ect. Most people here were hot on get Bobby Ryan but ask Duck fans in general they saw him the same way we see Stewart.
Ovie is another really streaky player...Bottom line is players are paid for production no matter if it is streaky or not.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
BlueDream

I agree that if he were to play physical more consistently he would be much better.

I sometimes think he tries too hard to play conservatively to avoid making a mistake under Hitchcock. That's what I see when he's on a cold streak.

He did get better in Hitch's system this past season, but it's gotta be a huge adjustment for him than what he was used to playing in.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
With the Gagner contract Stewart looks like a Bargain.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

This is a perfect fit for the Blues, Stewart disappears in the playoffs just like most of this roster.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
This is a perfect fit for the Blues, Stewart disappears in the playoffs just like most of this roster.
You know, discounting what happened in Vancouver years ago, this current group we have has only really been together in the playoffs as a whole for 2 years. Lets give it another year before we really start pulling that card.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:40 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
They've made the playoffs the last 2 years, but didn't win the cup. Burn it to the ground...

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote