Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Schedule

Old
07-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Jopsey

vCash: 500
2013-2014 Schedule

12 games on NBCSN. I think that's a new record.

What do you guys think of the schedule?

http://wild.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Gonna be a tough stretch to end the year

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

A lot of back to back this year. I'm not a fan. Still I refuse to complain about a schedule that is tremendously better than the NW division ones of the past.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
A lot of back to back this year. I'm not a fan. Still I refuse to complain about a schedule that is tremendously better than the NW division ones of the past.
That happens when you have to compress the schedule for the Olympics.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
That happens when you have to compress the schedule for the Olympics.
I know, but it just seems like a rough drag on a team, like last season.

At least the Olympics aren't being held here. I remember Vancouver had to go on a 14 game road trip in 2010 to avoid all the stuff associated with it.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Looking forward to that one game against that one team who scored that goal on us that one time.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:11 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I know, but it just seems like a rough drag on a team, like last season.

At least the Olympics aren't being held here. I remember Vancouver had to go on a 14 game road trip in 2010 to avoid all the stuff associated with it.
Well here are two things to remember:

1) We are not the only team affected by it obviously. All 30 teams are put on hold for those 2 weeks so we, the world, can enjoy the best talent we have for hockey playing against one another representing our respective nations.

2) We will have Koivu, Parise, Suter and probably Granlund, Brodin and Backstrom playing in the Olympics. But not like we will be alone in that. Chicago will have Toews, Hossa, Kane, Seabrook, Keith and most likely Sharp all playing.

Look at this way, it is 2 weeks that lingering injuries can heal up on players who aren't playing, and those who aren't can practice their game.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Niederreiter will be in the olymics for sure... Pominville has a better shot at the U.S. team than Backstrom has for the Finnish IMO. Granlund is a lock for Finland.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:56 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Niederreiter will be in the olymics for sure... Pominville has a better shot at the U.S. team than Backstrom has for the Finnish IMO. Granlund is a lock for Finland.
I can see Nino making it for Switzerland, but I didn't want to be overly ambitious about it. Pominville is not making the US team. If it didn't happen in 2010, it isn't happening now. There are way too many forwards from the US now that are simply better at the positions they'll be required to play. I only said Backstrom would make it, albeit probably as the 3rd stringer behind Rask and Rinne. I don't see Neimi making it. Kari has never been reliable with his injuries.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:03 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I can see Nino making it for Switzerland, but I didn't want to be overly ambitious about it. Pominville is not making the US team. If it didn't happen in 2010, it isn't happening now. There are way too many forwards from the US now that are simply better at the positions they'll be required to play. I only said Backstrom would make it, albeit probably as the 3rd stringer behind Rask and Rinne. I don't see Neimi making it. Kari has never been reliable with his injuries.
No, seriously... that is not ambitious at all for Nino. The Swiss team would jump at top AHL talent, they don't have a deep squad. Nino is a lock. Besides, he's just coming off of a HUGE WC performance a month or so ago.

As for Pominville... he has a shot at it because this is bigger ice than 2010, different team building style as a result. He's no lock by any means, but he has an outside shot.

Niemi would absolutely be on it ahead of Backstrom at this point.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:22 PM
tyratoku

You have to think though, if Parise and Pominville get a bunch of chemistry and go on a tear, maybe they look at keeping them together on a line at the Olympics and look at putting a center between them?

tyratoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Lehtonen is above Backstrom, and I'll even add the AINEC. Lehtonen has had 3 healthy years in a row. Injuries isn't much of a concern as it once was, now that his training is on track. And even Niemi over Backstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
You have to think though, if Parise and Pominville get a bunch of chemistry and go on a tear, maybe they look at keeping them together on a line at the Olympics and look at putting a center between them?
big IF

Old
07-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Gaps

If we really need to use Bäckström in the Olympics, it's a sign something has gone terribly wrong. Lehtonen may not want to be the 3rd goalie, but Niemi doesn't seem to mind based on his interviews. So it sounds like the most likely option right now is that Bäckström isn't even going to Sochi, but of course an injury could mean he's taken along as the 3rd goalie.

Bäckström alone getting injured wouldn't mean anything to Finland, but Mikko had better be playing when it's time to go to Sochi or Finland's really screwed. Currently nobody knows who will center the 2nd line (sound familiar? At least it's not about cap space in this case), and it's not because we have a dozen elite options. At this point it could be OJ, someone from the KHL or in the absolute best case even Barkov. Or in an emergency we'd have to use Filppula or even Saku, and to me both are huge "DO NOT WANT"s in that role.

Granlund is in my opinion the 4th top 6 winger (Teemu will play with Saku and hopefully not on the 2nd line) after T. Ruutu, Filppula and J. Jokinen. He's much better on the big ice than in the small rink and knows how to play against NHL competition, which is something the KHL wingers don't know how to do. Those things should work for his advantage, but I'm not 100% convinced he's a lock at this point. He should be, though.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Keeptdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
If we really need to use Bäckström in the Olympics, it's a sign something has gone terribly wrong. Lehtonen may not want to be the 3rd goalie, but Niemi doesn't seem to mind based on his interviews. So it sounds like the most likely option right now is that Bäckström isn't even going to Sochi, but of course an injury could mean he's taken along as the 3rd goalie.

Bäckström alone getting injured wouldn't mean anything to Finland, but Mikko had better be playing when it's time to go to Sochi or Finland's really screwed. Currently nobody knows who will center the 2nd line (sound familiar? At least it's not about cap space in this case), and it's not because we have a dozen elite options. At this point it could be OJ, someone from the KHL or in the absolute best case even Barkov. Or in an emergency we'd have to use Filppula or even Saku, and to me both are huge "DO NOT WANT"s in that role.

Granlund is in my opinion the 4th top 6 winger (Teemu will play with Saku and hopefully not on the 2nd line) after T. Ruutu, Filppula and J. Jokinen. He's much better on the big ice than in the small rink and knows how to play against NHL competition, which is something the KHL wingers don't know how to do. Those things should work for his advantage, but I'm not 100% convinced he's a lock at this point. He should be, though.
I rather use Lehterä as our 2nd line center, Saku 3rd and OJ 4th. We can always swap Lehterä with Barkov or even with Saku there. Then have the 13th forward who is capable of playing defensive or offensive role for example J. Immonen or Konna (can even replace J.Jokinen/Lehterä if needed). Know a lot of people wouldn't agree with my opinion with the lines but it makes sense to me. Only line which worries me is 2nd and their defensive capability. But hey it's easy to swap player or two since it's just a list. The player I do not want near the team is Aaltonen. He can make scoring chances for himself but the problem is puck hogging and the fact he can't shoot. I get so frustrated in him dekeing around and then just losing the puck by turnover or shooting wide. So my pick for the lines would be:

Filppula - Mikko - T. Ruutu
Jokinen - Lehterä - Granlund
Barkov - Saku - Teemu
Komarov - OJ - Korpikoski
13th - Konna/Immonen

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:30 AM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

Aaltonen shooting wide? nah, he just dekes through a few guys and then carries the puck around the net before passing it to someone else

SPMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 935
Welp, they blew naming the new divisions.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Because I'm a horrible and shameless person who self-promotes, here's a lot of words on Minnesota's schedule.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

I'm still debating what games I want to go to, and what I'll end up with in our draft. Winnipeg is definitely top I think, they are the only team in the "West" I've never seen live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Because I'm a horrible and shameless person who self-promotes, here's a lot of words on Minnesota's schedule.
Good write up. I didn't put the Detroit back-to-backs with trying to draw in B1G hockey fans, as every team other than the U really doesn't travel well. Michigan and Michigan State only get up for the outdoor game because it's a bit, otherwise their following is a joke --- along the lines with Ohio State, and don't get me started on Penn State.

I was unimpressed with Wisconsin's showing in the Final Five for fans, as there were hardly any, so it makes sense they'd try to make a play and get people like my friends who are Detroit diehards and went to college in Michigan to try to go to that game on that weekend.

Last edited by Paul Bunyan: 07-20-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Paul Bunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Last season's condensed schedule of 48 games, had the Wild play in 19 games that started after 7pm.

This season in an 82 game schedule, they will have 17 games that start after 7pm.

What a difference!

Old
07-21-2013, 03:32 AM
grN1g

why do ppl hate on poms for a usa spot? the guy is an ironman, and plays both ends on the ice, i wouldn't count him out until his name has been called.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
why do ppl hate on poms for a usa spot? the guy is an ironman, and plays both ends on the ice, i wouldn't count him out until his name has been called.
And hes only played for USA once. Btw, thats the same USA team that had Tom Gilbert.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:58 AM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
And hes only played for USA once. Btw, thats the same USA team that had Tom Gilbert.
I'm not sure if this is a knock or what. Personally, I think Pominville is the forgotten "American". The guy plays all 3 zones very well, and is better than at least van Riemsdyk. I'm not saying he should play top line of USA, but he should at least be in the top 12. Probably top 9. I would, however, have Derek Stepan above him, very very slightly.

*edit* No, I take that back, I'd have Pommer above Stepan, too.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I believe he could play a solid third line, but he isn't a fourth line player. The roster committee is even keen on getting Abdelkader in there as a fourth line role player. I think everyone can agree Pominville>Adbedkader. Its just a matter of what they see his role as, and whether or not he can fulfill it. Kevin Allen of the USA Today, who I think does a pretty respectable job, predicts him to be an extra forward.

Also, interesting to note that in the USA Olympic camp they won't be having any on-ice practices because it would cost too much to insure the players.

EDIT: Since this is the Schedule thread:

BACK TO BACK GAMES AND TOTAL MILES

Not down by much, but every little bit helps. No late games is the big part, as previously stated.

Last edited by Victorious Secret: 07-21-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old
07-21-2013, 05:29 AM
BagHead

I hope you aren't getting the wrong idea and think I'm trying to start ****, because I most certainly am not, but a guy like Abdelkader is a pipe dream on team USA. Honestly, in a wide open ice surface like they'll see in Russia, I'd take Pominvile and about 50 other Americans over Abdelkader every day. I'd take Zucker over Abdelkader, and Zucker holds no chance. I don't disbelieve your claim of what the roster committee is thinking, I just think that if they act upon it, it'll turn out poorly.

Whatever though, I'll continue talking team USA in the team USA thread here.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
b0rn2beWild

How many afternoon games they will play next season? Better to watch in Finland.. Wild had 1-2 afternoon games last season

Edit:

SAT NOV 23, 2013
MINNESOTA
WINNIPEG
3:00 PM ET

SAT MAR 22, 2014
DETROIT
MINNESOTA
2:00 PM ET

Last edited by b0rn2beWild: 07-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
b0rn2beWild is offline   Reply With Quote