HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Rivet. Someone has to bring this up...

Old
10-29-2006, 02:55 PM
White Snake*

vCash: 500
Well I think the question is when everyone is healthy who gets scratched. With the way Rivet is playing and this goes back alot longer then just this year he way be the odd man out. This is what I think.

Komi Markov
Souray Boullion (great pairing, I hope Carbo tries it)
Dandeneault Streit(did anyone notice the play he made to keep the puck in yesterday on Souray's goal)

Ninimaa
Rivet
Cote

Pros - Leader (A coach material)
- Desire - kinda the same as being a leader

Cons - Stupid penalties (Weak crosschecking and slashes are a common them)
- Slow
- Icing's
- Has a real problem clearing the zone (turnovers deep)
- Weak stickhandler and cannot make quick decisions when retrieving puck

Also as a sidenote both Koivu and Rivet had bad nights last night with dunb penalties and non existant play although for Koivu he deserves to take one nihgt off every once in awhile. BUt SOuray rally took over with his leadership. HE won every battle and once again came thorugh in the clutch. Love the emotion after the goal. Anyone else notice the cheers fo rhim now in MOntreal. HE and Koivu get the most love.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERPETUALSMILEZ View Post
I don't know if it will be just temporary....I can remember yelling at the TV most of last season for the same stupid things he was doing. He played the same way last season....stupid penalties, stupid plays/passes, bad temper-arguing with the refs. His game play drives me crazy......He has great team spirit...but it's not enough!

Lets hope he can get better!
Finally, someone that actually watched games last year! I agree 100%, his play last year was not the greatest either defensively - nor that of Souray's. These two have MAJOR defensive issues and cause way too much pressure on their team by not being able to clear the zone effectively. Even if it doesn't result in a goal, this is time when the team could be in the other end of the ice instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

For the people that thought he played less last year, WRONG. He actually played 1 minute more on average... check the stats on nhl.com before you post up your so-called "facts".

The Canadiens defensive unit is in big time trouble. We are very shallow on talent as it is being shown with Dandenault and Boullion being out. It's time to send somebody packing and pick up a real defender that can help control things in our own end zone - otherwise we will never be a real cup contender.

Thom

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
He played well last season , but was also brutal the one before .
I mentionned that before

The guy's brain seems to take full years off sometime

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:14 PM
guapo23

So far this season Rivet has not been as solid as he used to be.
Besides that great breakaway goal his bad penalties have been hurting the team.

He has been coughing up the puck a lot in the defensive zone.

He seems to have trouble controlling the puck. When the other team dumps it in he gets to the puck first but he is not moving it fast enough so their forecheckers are stripping him of the puck.

I'm sure he will pick up his game.
He is huge in the room & a real team player so I don't think we should try to trade him.
Weird...

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Finally, someone that actually watched games last year! I agree 100%, his play last year was not the greatest either defensively - nor that of Souray's. These two have MAJOR defensive issues and cause way too much pressure on their team by not being able to clear the zone effectively. Even if it doesn't result in a goal, this is time when the team could be in the other end of the ice instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

For the people that thought he played less last year, WRONG. He actually played 1 minute more on average... check the stats on nhl.com before you post up your so-called "facts".

The Canadiens defensive unit is in big time trouble. We are very shallow on talent as it is being shown with Dandenault and Boullion being out. It's time to send somebody packing and pick up a real defender that can help control things in our own end zone - otherwise we will never be a real cup contender.

Thom
Every time I respond to one of these ridiculus posts I swear it will be my last then my frustration takes over and I find myself typing again.

"Finally, someone that actually watched games last year!"...."his play last year was not the greatest either defensively".

My question to you is, what team were you both watching last year. Rivet put in a solid season last year and anyone who understands the game realizes that his positional play is not flawless but better than most. His game isn't flashy but he is the best we have on the PK. He doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off but uses his positional play to box out the opposition. He also had the most blocked shots last year, more than Begin who everyone talked about like he was the newest Habs superstar. Unfortunately most of you easy chair guys wouldn't recognize the little things if they ran you over.
His experience and respect is the reason he contines to be the go to guy even though his year has had a rough start with injuries and bad luck...blame much of that on Souray and Niinimaa since he can't controll their play or a missed assignment by one of our forwards. Carbo and Gainey, thankfully, know the game better than you and I have to believe they know Rivets game has been sacrificed to even out Souray's defensive shortcomings. Anything for the team has been Rivets motto since I have watched him.
Clearing the zone means the forwards have to be in position to receive the pass but rarely does that happen if you float. This forces the d to shot the puck to the open space and risk icing. If you watch each game like you say you do you couldn't help but notice this Habs team has never had a great breakout but to put all the onis on our D shows your ignorance.
As far as passing, Rivet passes are well as any of our d with the exception of Markov who loves to use the cross ice pass or long bomb but has watched the opposition pick it off and go in for a goal a few times this year.
And, Rivet's leadership is at a premium.
So, posts like yours are misleading and inaccurate. ..learn the game before you post.

Last edited by Markimark: 10-30-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
Every time I respond to one of these ridiculus posts I swear it will be my last then my frustration takes over and I find myself typing again.

"Finally, someone that actually watched games last year!"...."his play last year was not the greatest either defensively".

My question to you is, what team were you both watching last year. Rivet put in a solid season last year and anyone who understands the game realizes that his positional play is not flawless but better than most. His game isn't flashy but he is the best we have on the PK. He doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off but uses his positional play to box out the opposition. He also had the most blocked shots last year, more than Begin who everyone talked about like he was the newest Habs superstar. Unfortunately most of you easy chair guys wouldn't recognize the little things if they ran you over.
His experience and respect is the reason he contines to be the go to guy even though his year has had a rough start with injuries and bad luck...blame much of that on Souray and Niinimaa since he can't controll their play or a missed assignment by one of our forwards. Carbo and Gainey, thankfully, know the game better than you and I have to believe they know Rivets game has been sacrificed to even out Souray's defensive shortcomings. Anything for the team has been Rivets motto since I have watched him.
Clearing the zone means the forwards have to be in position to receive the pass but rarely does that happen if you float. This forces the d to shot the puck to the open space and risk icing. If you watch each game like you say you do you couldn't help but notice this Habs team has never had a great breakout but to put all the onis on our D shows your ignorance.
As far as passing, Rivet passes are well as any of our d with the exception of Markov who loves to use the cross ice pass or long bomb but has watched the opposition pick it off and go in for a goal a few times this year.
And, Rivet's leadership is at a premium.
So, posts like yours are misleading and inaccurate. ..learn the game before you post.
Okay usually I will be the first one to defend a player but I must disagree with you on this one. Last year he put up good numbers offensively for his standards. Defensively he struggled from the get go. I noticed early on last season he was persistetn on pounding the puck off the glass. Which continued to set up the opposing de for shots from teh point if not ONE TIMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE lead the team in delay of game penalties(shootin gover the glass. It was about game 7 last year where it was most apparent. Against the Islanders in late OCtober. After being responsible for a giveaway at center which led to a Jason BLake goal he then made a huge mistake on the tying goal. HE had about 10 seconds to dump it out but yet passed it directly to the ISalnders point man. WHo then pounded home the tying goal. Begin later won teh game but that was teh beginning. Against Ottawa in OT it was Rivet who gave the puck away the led to the SPezza goal. You know teh one SOuray was at fault for. He was at his worst during the Christmas season. Losses in Atlanta and Washington he was ***** every time he touched the puck. IN early January with the Habs on a losing streak in Edmonton Rivet took a silly dealy of game penalty with 1 minute left in regulation. Ethan Moreau scored with 14 seconds left and we lost the giftwraaped single point. That lonely night in Vancouver which THeo blew hard, Rivet was a -4. THere was that night in TO in November that RIvet took that lazy penalty that gave TO the PP in OT and well they scored. THere was the night in Boston where Bergeron made him look like a fool deking his pants off. ANd well there was Game 6 against Carolina, OT and well, why Rivet, why? DOnt put your stick IFO the shot at the blueline. What is the reasoning? He will not score from teh blueline, unless!!!! I have more if you want to hear them, ALot more.

Old
10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
White Snake*

Sometimes it is hard to recognize faults in a player when he is one of your favs. Koivu is my fav and sometimes I fail to see his weaknesses which I will admit were apparent on Saturday. Rivet has more cons then pros but I will always respect what he brought to this club. He would make a fantastic Assistant Coach one day. UNfortunetely not a great d man in this new style NHL. Bon voyage.

Old
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
tritone

Three constants of Rivet's career

1. Slow start
2. Great finish
3. Fans never cease the criticism like he's supposed to be a Number 1 D-man and not living up to his potential

He is what he is...a reliable Iron-Man D with average skill and good positioning. A perfect Number 3-4 D-man.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post

He's slow...he can't pass...he can't shoot...he doesn't win any battles along the boards and he's undisciplined.

He is, simply put, talentless.

I'll give him one thing, he has the desire to win. Sadly it's not enough.
So true, He sems to get scared and runs around and gets a penalty if the opposition has the puck in our end for a while. I have really liked him at times throughout his career but we have way more depth at D now. He usually pulls it together and gets more disciplined but he always fights for control of himself and his limited abilities. The guy is all heart that said, he shouldn't be resigned unless he is a depth 7th or 8th guy. When bouillon and dandy are back he becomes our 6th 7th guy.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Dr_Hook

I agree that this year, he's stinkin up the joint. But I have trouble with people bashing his last season play. For long stretches of time, he and Markov basically were the only defencemen playing good hockey: Komi was in a funk cause of his personnal stuff, Dandenault had problem finding his groove here, and Souray had an horrendous start ! I thought he was VERY good for good portions of the season, then his play kind of tailed off at the end

True he ain't too smooth on his skates; true his shot isn't a weapon , and even truer he doesn't belong nowhere near the pp unit (please get him off that !!). But still, when he plays sound positionnal play, which is his thing NORMALLY, he is a worthy contributor. For some reason, his positionnal play and decision making are way off thus far, which exposes all his weaknesses, namely his lack of mobility.

Is he p.o. or troubled cause we haven't offered him an extension yet ? Very possible. But now, it doesn't look like he's gonna get one. I say we have Komi and Dandeanault for next year, we need to find a puck-movind D to complement them; and this guy is not Craig Rivet.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Okay usually I will be the first one to defend a player but I must disagree with you on this one. Last year he put up good numbers offensively for his standards. Defensively he struggled from the get go. I noticed early on last season he was persistetn on pounding the puck off the glass. Which continued to set up the opposing de for shots from teh point if not ONE TIMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE lead the team in delay of game penalties(shootin gover the glass. It was about game 7 last year where it was most apparent. Against the Islanders in late OCtober. After being responsible for a giveaway at center which led to a Jason BLake goal he then made a huge mistake on the tying goal. HE had about 10 seconds to dump it out but yet passed it directly to the ISalnders point man. WHo then pounded home the tying goal. Begin later won teh game but that was teh beginning. Against Ottawa in OT it was Rivet who gave the puck away the led to the SPezza goal. You know teh one SOuray was at fault for. He was at his worst during the Christmas season. Losses in Atlanta and Washington he was ***** every time he touched the puck. IN early January with the Habs on a losing streak in Edmonton Rivet took a silly dealy of game penalty with 1 minute left in regulation. Ethan Moreau scored with 14 seconds left and we lost the giftwraaped single point. That lonely night in Vancouver which THeo blew hard, Rivet was a -4. THere was that night in TO in November that RIvet took that lazy penalty that gave TO the PP in OT and well they scored. THere was the night in Boston where Bergeron made him look like a fool deking his pants off. ANd well there was Game 6 against Carolina, OT and well, why Rivet, why? DOnt put your stick IFO the shot at the blueline. What is the reasoning? He will not score from teh blueline, unless!!!! I have more if you want to hear them, ALot more.
Wow, that's amazing.....what a memory....LOL . Carbo could do away with their video material if they had you.
WS, we know what your agenda is but too bad you have to use Rivet to take the attention off Souray's weak defensive play. He struggles with turning, skating, passing so basically if it weren't for his shot he'd be in the minors.
With your photographic memory you must remember all of Shelly's bone head penalties and TSN appearances. Did he dress up as a pylon again this year. Watch where the puck gets shot every game...down Sourays side and we all know, if they cut to the middle it's game over...time and again, same move, same station.

Last edited by Markimark: 10-31-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old
10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Wow, what a memory....LOL Carbo could certainly use you. They could do away with their video material.
WS, we know what your agenda is but too bad you have to use Rivet to take the attention off Souray's weak defensive play. Without his shot he'd be in the minors.
With your photographic memory you must remember all of Shelly's bone head penalties and TSN appearances. I wonder if he dressed up at a pylon costume again this year. Watch where the puck gets shot almost every time...down Sourays side and god knows if they cut to the middle he can't turn to catch them...time and again, same move, same station.
They are BOTH horrible in their own zone, and I everytime I see them playing together. They need to be split up badly - I don't care who plays with who but both of their defensive play seems much better when they are paired with someone else. Just my 2 cents.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Markimark

Quote:

I forgot to address your recollection of Rivets lazy penalty against TO that gave them the overtime win...I remember that well because it was all over the sports stations...all the hockey commentators stating what a terrible call by the refs.....you definitely have a selective memory but whatever keeps you happy.
And deking his pants off, Souray's got the exclusive on that move...go to the inside on Souray and your in....he can't turn

Old
10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
I forgot to address your recollection of Rivets lazy penalty against TO that gave them the overtime win...I remember that well because it was all over the sports stations...all the hockey commentators stating what a terrible call by the refs.....you definitely have a selective memory but whatever keeps you happy.
And deking his pants off, Souray's got the exclusive on that move...go to the inside on Souray and your in....he can't turn
Oh and yes I do have a photographic memory and sometimes to is painful. Selective retention, NO. Selective perception, maybe. Anyways if both these guys go to Free agency we will see who is worth more. I would guarantee you Souray will have offers twice as much as RIvet. As for teh TO game, yes it was a horrible call but Rivet put himself in position to be called and did throw his stick IFO th eplayers skates. But for right now we must split those two up. SOuray would be great with Bouillion when he returns. ANd well RIvet will be a great leader in Hamilton for Jancevski and O'Byrne.

Old
10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
As for always having a great finish, Im sure Carolina would agree.

Old
10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Three constants of Rivet's career

1. Slow start
2. Great finish
3. Fans never cease the criticism like he's supposed to be a Number 1 D-man and not living up to his potential

He is what he is...a reliable Iron-Man D with average skill and good positioning. A perfect Number 3-4 D-man.
I would be estatic if he played like a #6.

Old
10-31-2006, 05:14 PM
tritone

Quote:

Come on, give me a few teams with a better number 6 d-man ... go ahead. You're exaggerating big time here.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Oh and yes I do have a photographic memory and sometimes to is painful. Selective retention, NO. Selective perception, maybe. Anyways if both these guys go to Free agency we will see who is worth more. I would guarantee you Souray will have offers twice as much as RIvet. As for teh TO game, yes it was a horrible call but Rivet put himself in position to be called and did throw his stick IFO th eplayers skates. But for right now we must split those two up. SOuray would be great with Bouillion when he returns. ANd well RIvet will be a great leader in Hamilton for Jancevski and O'Byrne.
You're a hoot..... Souray and Bouillion together....yup, you have it all figured out. Which one would you like to put on the right....lol.
Seeing you notice everything, I'm sure you haven't missed that the coach puts Rivet and Markov out together on the first line PK....what does that tell you....and put them out together at the end of tonights game.
Give it up WS, Shelly doesn't need you promoting him.
His biggest problem will be staying healthy. Lets see if he can make it through a year without some major problem.

Old
10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
You'd be more credible if you ever had anything to say other than running the guy down. His strengths and weaknesses can be rationnally argued, but I like to think that the coaching staff looking to him in key situations is a good indicator of his perceived value.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Habs Man

Craig Rivet Scares Me...

The guy has dropped off in a big way since last year. Everytime he touches the puck, or is in the corners I get scared because I'm almost certain he'lll lose any type of one on one battle.

I'm not doubting his heart at all, or his leadership outisde of the rink, but the guy just can't cut it in this "new" NHL. I would love nothing more than to see him turn it around, but with Streit playing very well right now, I do believe that Rivet could be the odd man out when Dandenault and/or Bouillon come back.

I know that a lot of people would rather see Sourray traded, but I realy think that Sheldon brings a lot more to the team then we give him credit for. Rivet will be the first one gone in my opinion... probably for nothing more than a draft pick.

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:37 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Man View Post
The guy has dropped off in a big way since last year. Everytime he touches the puck, or is in the corners I get scared because I'm almost certain he'lll lose any type of one on one battle.

I'm not doubting his heart at all, or his leadership outisde of the rink, but the guy just can't cut it in this "new" NHL. I would love nothing more than to see him turn it around, but with Streit playing very well right now, I do believe that Rivet could be the odd man out when Dandenault and/or Bouillon come back.

I know that a lot of people would rather see Sourray traded, but I realy think that Sheldon brings a lot more to the team then we give him credit for. Rivet will be the first one gone in my opinion... probably for nothing more than a draft pick.
And last night Souray actually was really on his game defensively.

With Carb/Muller/Etc he will be playing at the peak of his defensive/offensive abilities. All the habs will before the end of the season. Get ready guys, were looking @ a repeat 1993...

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Nobody wants to see Souray be traded. It's just that a lot expect him to be.

We've expected it for 2-3 years....

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
oop007*

True. People were expecting the same for Markov even before this season though. Habs kept him.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Nobody wants to see Souray be traded. It's just that a lot expect him to be.

We've expected it for 2-3 years....
I don't hink people just expect it... I think that a lot of people want him out of town, especially because of the amount of highlight reels he was on last year!

Personally I think that it woul dbe a shame to see him leave and a big loss to our team.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
And last night Souray actually was really on his game defensively.

With Carb/Muller/Etc he will be playing at the peak of his defensive/offensive abilities. All the habs will before the end of the season. Get ready guys, were looking @ a repeat 1993...
Totally... he played exceptionally well last night.. let's hope it stays that way! I'm not worried about him offensively.

Imagine we could get a defensive coach like Larry Robinson in here though to help out the "D". With all do respect to Carbs/Muller and the rest of the defensive team, I think that Big Bird would completely change the face of our "D".