HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The "Balls or No Balls" thread

Old
07-20-2013, 07:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
you cite the kings as "LA built much of its core through great draft picks, but then made two major deals trading big assets for Carter and Richards." we don't have the schenn, the johnson, the morrow, the silferberg, in short, we do not have any highly desirable assets to trade away.

it's honestly that simple. once we amass quality, near NHL ready prospects, then you will see GMMB make trades.

not aimed at you, but people always *****ing that bergevin isn't making trades well you need two GMs to dance so to speak and no one wants our trash.

"why didn't we get ryan? waaaaa!"

well we don't have what ottawa sent away, plain and simple.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
After one year, Bergevin's become the preacher of slow rebuilds, solid draft picks, safe trades and cautious contracts. Blockbuster deals and "Free-Agent Frenzy"? No thanks, we're on a strict diet. Well… maybe just a little nibble of Prust and a mini Briere brioche, but not too much or too long or it goes straight to our hips.

Bergevin took a franchise that was stuffing its belly with fatty contracts and stop-gap 30-year-olds, and turned it into a prudent, cap-conscious, youth-obsessed team of calorie-counters. In a red-meat league, we've become the vegetarians. During the trade deadline, draft day and free agency, while so many teams were dealing like drunken sailors, Montreal was the designated driver.

So we've trimmed the fat and look ten years younger. But now that the Habs are looking healthier, are we in danger of being TOO conservative? Nobody wants to go back to the days when we got hustled for assets, draft picks and cash, but are we afraid to make the bold move that separates real contenders from merely good teams? Look at most other Cup-winners and you see a balance of caution and balls. LA built much of its core through great draft picks, but then made two major deals trading big assets for Carter and Richards. Boston has spent big money on Chara and thrown the dice big-time dealing assets to get Rask and Seguin, and now Eriksson. Even Chicago, with the best group of draftees in the league, purchased big UFA, Marian Hossa.

The question is: What's the best balance of caution and balls for the Habs? Right now, I see a lot of caution, little balls. Bergevin says he's building through the draft, yet he was unwilling to do what it took to trade up for a higher pick. He says we need size, but hasn't been willing (so far) to part with assets to fill that gap. Make no mistake -- I'm not talking about throwing stupid contracts at mid-tier players, I'm talking about targeting a high-end need and doing whatever it takes to get him. Our strong prospect pool doesn't include a Drouin, Kane or Toews, nor do we have a wealth of 1st-line talent soon to explode like Edmonton. Our core and upcoming youth are good, but not elite. If we want a Stanley Cup, we'll need to trade or purchase a superior game-changing player or two.

Maybe the prices have all been too high. Maybe key players are already in discussion. I'm patient for now. But I expect to start seeing some ballsy moves between September and next trade deadline. Package some roster players, spend some serious money, I don't care. At some point, Bergevin will have to stop saying, "Thanks, we're good!" or "I tried", and start saying, "What will it take?".
good post here are my thoughts

it has nothing to do with balls or caution , this is what a good GM should do

first understand where are you in this food chain called the NHL

what r u ? pretender ? contender ? cap hell ? total rebuild ? etc...

then decide what you need to do to get to contender status , thats thats the end end game her competing for a cup

but the problem with this regime over 20 years

ITS BANDAID AFTER PATCH AFTER BANDAID WITH NO PLAN

so if you are the Habs of the last 10 years these moronic signings like Cammie, Gio , etc... will not and have not worked cause we lack one element all contenders have

A DEVELOPED CORE OF 5-6 PLAYERS THAT ARE YOUR LEADERS

look at the last 3 cup winners , all have the same thing a CORE

so once MB figures out what he has you decide your blueprint to move forward

BUT THE KEY IS , THE PIECES MUST BE FIT A TEAM STRUCTURE AND ROLE

and this the most important point in this thread

so if you dont have he core DONT FORCE ONE AND BE STUPID

look at the Blues patiently building a good team , have many assets and are one true #1 center away from the next level , BUT THEY ARENT SIGNING dd`S to four years and regret it 2 months down the road

folks there is only 1 Sid, Malkin, Stamkos , and tanking isnt the option

But MB dont be stupid , many pieces you have dont FIT A STRUCTURE

our so called core on paper is good , BUT CAN IT WIN and we dont have more than 2 years to really decide if PK , PRICE , MAX, GALCHY , GALLAGHER , and ELLER
is indeed our core

SO THIS IS WHERE THE BALLS COMES IN , IF THIS CORE ISNT RIGHT THEN GET AHEAD OF THE CURVE AND MAKE A BIG DEAL TO GET A POSSIBLE CORE PIECE
involving a few kids who have value

this is what Chiarelli does best , identifies the now , and the future and doenst give a S H I T and make the timely moves

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:09 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you cite the kings as "LA built much of its core through great draft picks, but then made two major deals trading big assets for Carter and Richards." we don't have the schenn, the johnson, the morrow, the silferberg, in short, we do not have any highly desirable assets to trade away.

it's honestly that simple. once we amass quality, near NHL ready prospects, then you will see GMMB make trades.

not aimed at you, but people always *****ing that bergevin isn't making trades well you need two GMs to dance so to speak and no one wants our trash.

bang on , so dont make a move at all and keep building

BUT DONT SIGN THESE DD`S TO LONG TERM WHO ARENT THE ANSWER AND HAVE NO FIT OR ROLE

that is truly 50% of the problem with GM`S

They go ape **** in signing at UFA TIME then those same players are available at the deadline for nothing when thye reliazed the fked up

most have no clue that they arent a player away from anything

Old
07-20-2013, 08:15 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Holmren is very »ballsy» but Philly went from the finals to a ****** team, so balls can be a bad thing!
Holmgren has balls but he built a solid nucleaus

his Carter and Richards deals were among the best of the last 5 years

2 albatross contracts gone , thier window with that core was over and time was up
I dont care if the Kings won a cup ...TIME WAS UP WITH THIS CORE AND GOT TREMENDOUS VALUE

thats why I like his style , yes Breezy didnt work but no one would of predicted he would fall apart this quick , he was a legit top 7 gaolie when he got him

but truthfully no one can lose a Pronger and have 2-3 othe d out for many games and expect them to win

take out Markov, PK, and Gorges for most of a season together and tell me how Price would do ?

Paul takes a bum rap all the time unjustified at all and they will be back this this year

Old
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

We will only get to judge Bergevin's balls when he has enough assets to make gutsy moves.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'll make the easy bet, you work in a bank or have a "bank related" job. And huh, what you're saying (girls) you can apply it to any field.
I'm an architect.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I'm an architect.
Okay, when you answer the phone now you have to say: "Vandelay Industries."

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

While I am in complete agreement with you in regards to MB not making moves I would suggest that referring to our prospect pool as trash is a gross exaggeration. You are correct though, nobody is going to give us an impact player in return for a few good prospects. Blue chip prospects are the currency with which these deals are made

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
We will only get to judge Bergevin's balls when he has enough assets to make gutsy moves.
Bergevin has hired a ball coach and his balls are so confident that they have started work on his acceptance speech.

Bergevin marches to the podium in his tear-aways........rrrrrip.....how do you like dose apples...eh?

Old
07-20-2013, 09:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Life is never too short to say what you mean properly. Either you are an articulate person who wants to convey something meaningful, or you are a moronic tard who just spews words 'cause he's still locked in the buccal stage.
I like this. This is a good post.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Question for you guys: How do you think this team performs with a Carey Price playing to his potential?
Price crapped the bed down the stretch but wasn't bad in the playoffs. Certainly he could've been better though.

One thing that I see a lot with our club is that even if Price makes the first stop, we don't have a group that's great at clearing the rebounds. We're definitely too small up front and everyone knows that. But we really need some help defensively on the back end. I don't know what happened to Gorges last year but man he has to go back to normal. We've really thrown Price to the wolves and while he was great for most of the year, once he turned to crap we don't have a blueline to bail him out. If he plays mediocre this team is in trouble.

As for Price, not worried about him. If he does crap the bed though and plays like he did in the last few weeks of the regular season we're in big trouble because we don't have much behind him. He comes into this season with something to prove. He can't have another meltdown and it's crucial that he gets off to a good start.

Would've been nice for MB to get him some help though.
Quote:
LG in principle I agree with you, as usual, and you are in the group here that is cup oriented, not the group that is 'make the PO and anything can happen', oriented.

However I remind you that Bergy has two mandates from Molson: Build, but compete as well. Briere is about competing now, and I think he will help in that respect. But I won't be too excited about his miracle comeback 30 goal season, as it will mean nothing toward our cup window. He's simply too old.

The real question is: Does the Briere signing damage the building toward the cup window with our young core? I would say no. The term is short, the money is reasonable, and Briere will bring some leadership and veteran knowledge to the young guys who will be in the window. I have no problem with the Breire signing.

Your reply might be that Briere's ice time prevents important development of youth. And that is a risk, I agree. But I can see him accepting a 3rd line role if required in year 2. Unless he's a total *******, which I doubt.
Okay, nevermind the argument that he hurts our youth. Let's say he's irrelevant on that front.

I still don't see why we needed to get this guy. Molson wants a competitive team? We were good enough as is to make the playoffs. Add in a PF and/or shutdown guy (two things we really needed) and all of a sudden we're in much better shape.

Briere to me was a total window dressing move. Same kind we've seen for years. We go after big game, GM comes up empty and then decides he has to do SOMETHING to show that he doesn't have his thumb up his ass so he gets a Samsonov or something...

I realize that Bobby Ryans (who is big but not really a PF btw) aren't easy to get. I wouldn't blast MB for not being able to get him as several teams I'm sure made pitches. But I look at Ottawa and they've gotten Turris and Ryan. If they can pull off this kind of move why can't we? Both are talented young players with upside. Both are guys that we should've been going after. But we always wind up with the same kind of player: Samsonov, Tanguay, Kaberle, Gomez, Bourque, Gionta, Cole... Guys past their prime, most are small or it's a problem child who they wanted to get rid of.

Anyways, we don't get a PF. Fine. But go get a shutdown blueliner. That is not that hard to get. Instead we get something that we don't need... We get something that makes our biggest weakness worse.

Maybe Tinordi's the guy and he'll be awesome. Maybe Gorges bounces back... But I don't see why we wouldn't add a shutdown guy in that lineup. The blueline looks ugly to me.

As for Briere, maybe he'll bounce back. Maybe he's got something left in the tank. But even if he does, it doesn't really help us in the grand scheme of things. We have no balance up front. We already have another small center who eats up easy minutes, why get this guy? I've cut that trade up to death, no need to do it more here. But that move was a real head scratcher...

Old
07-20-2013, 09:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
this is what Chiarelli does best , identifies the now , and the future and doenst give a S H I T and make the timely moves
Chiarelli has Chara.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:19 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Okay, when you answer the phone now you have to say: "Vandelay Industries."
That is very strong. Lg, I love you dude, in a man love sort of way....hee hee

Old
07-20-2013, 09:20 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
While I am in complete agreement with you in regards to MB not making moves I would suggest that referring to our prospect pool as trash is a gross exaggeration. You are correct though, nobody is going to give us an impact player in return for a few good prospects. Blue chip prospects are the currency with which these deals are made
My trash comment refered to our roster trash. Gionta, moen and if you believe everything on here, desharnais who couldn't return a 7th. We have plenty of good prospects but I don't think they have very high value since most of them beside tinordi and brolieu are too far from the NHL to have an accurate idea of what they will turn into, nhl'ers or bust'ers.

So you hold on to them, develop them properly, hand out cups of coffees, then if necessary, trade them when their values as prospects is maximized.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:21 AM
otto bond

Nicely done OP

As Fan(s), I crave a blockbuster trade that gets us a top notch proven talent. Rarely would a GM come in and make all kinds of moves unless your name is Mike Keenan let alone a big splash.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Pateryn this coming camp. I think he could supprise the coaching staff and has great size and should be ready for the big boys.
Our D could look like this out of camp since Emelin is out:

Pateryn/Gorges-Markov
PK-Tinordi future top duo IMO
Gorges/Pateryn-Beaulieu
Bouillon

Looking at the forwards, well the top 6 is pretty set with Eller, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Patches, Bourque and Briere. Gionta and DD slots in in the top 9 with Gallagher. There obviuosly unbalance here and I expect MB to do something about it.
With Prust who can play, fight and kills penelties, that great tool to have and hopefully Moen wakes up. White, Dumont to me are barely worthy of a roster spot but I like them both. Parros is....Parros.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Like I said, won't slam MB for not getting Ryan but we absolutely have pieces to trade.

Again, it's about picking a direction and sticking with it. You rebuild or you go for it. You don't sit in the middle of the road and try to do both. We're packed with prospects. If we didn't want to trade one, we could deal a first. We have vets that we can deal, we have prospects.

It's not like Ottawa sent a Galchenyuk back the other way.

We came into this summer looking like we were getting closer. Galchenyuk looked like the real deal. Price, Max, Subban all coming into their prime now... We have holes but we looked like with a couple of moves we could get closer. Ryan would've been perfect for us. Not overly physical, not really a PF, but a big body who can score. Imagine we put him with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Max plays on another line with Eller or Plecs. All of a sudden our forwards are looking really, really good.

Don't know if MB tried for Ryan, but I didn't feel like Ottawa gave up the farm to get him. And if we included a future 1st rounder we'd leave the lineup intact. Instead, we put ourselves further away...

Old
07-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
My trash comment refered to our roster trash. Gionta, moen and if you believe everything on here, desharnais who couldn't return a 7th. We have plenty of good prospects but I don't think they have very high value since most of them beside tinordi and brolieu are too far from the NHL to have an accurate idea of what they will turn into, nhl'ers or bust'ers.

So you hold on to them, develop them properly, hand out cups of coffees, then if necessary, trade them when their values as prospects is maximized.
Well that clears that up

Old
07-20-2013, 09:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Bergevin has hired a ball coach and his balls are so confident that they have started work on his acceptance speech.

Bergevin marches to the podium in his tear-aways........rrrrrip.....how do you like dose apples...eh?
I. In fact, have three balls, and they are made of Titanium. Ha! so there, you young wimpy know nothings! Bwaaa hhaaa ahhaa. Time for bed in Hong Kong I think...

Old
07-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
How many good young NHL players do you need before you start looking for immediate help?
More than we currently have. What young good AND redundant assets do we currently have?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:33 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

bang on , so dont make a move at all and keep building

BUT DONT SIGN THESE DD`S TO LONG TERM WHO ARENT THE ANSWER AND HAVE NO FIT OR ROLE

that is truly 50% of the problem with GM`S

They go ape **** in signing at UFA TIME then those same players are available at the deadline for nothing when thye reliazed the fked up

most have no clue that they arent a player away from anything
DD's contract isn't bad at all an should easiy be movable. This place turns into an echo chamber when talking about him. It was either sign him or let him
walk as a ufa. I understand that he signed him early to take away dd's tempation to go the ufa route, but He should have waited.

It's 3.5 for 4, reasonable term and reasonable money. And there's no ntc or nmc. Not worth the hair pulling I read here

Old
07-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I. In fact, have three balls, and they are made of Titanium. Ha! so there, you young wimpy know nothings! Bwaaa hhaaa ahhaa. Time for bed in Hong Kong I think...
Allow me to introduce myself.

Bond......James Bond

Old
07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Well done on bringing up an important question. Personally, I worry about Therrien's intelligence. I do like him though, he is passionate, and he brings energy and enthusiasm to this young team. He also defends his players, management rule no. 1.

It is well known on this board that I think NHL coaches are glorified cheerleaders. The 86 Habs were essentially coached by Gainey and Robinson for example.

But when and if we become very good, the last thing we need is an idiot who pisses the players off.

I don't mean a coach that scares the players. That's fine, see Scotty Bowman. I mean an idiot that players don't respect. And a coach that will not help Habs in the first serious push they must make for the cup, after 20 years, within the next 3 years.

For now, Thierry is fine by me. He loves the game, and he seems good with the kids. When things get serious in 2015, that is a different question.
You bring up a really interesting tangent. Assuming Therrien has become a bit of a lame-duck coach within two/three years (which his track-record suggests he will), which of our players take on the Gainey/Robinson roles of de facto coach? Gionta's likely gone. Gorges would be a logical leader-by-example, maybe Plekanec if he's the type to open his mouth. But it's crucial to have that on-ice presence for the young guys to look up to.

Your example of the vets leadership on the '86 Habs makes me wonder what the vibe was like a few years earlier with a locker full of future GMs and coaches, Robinson, Gainey, Lemaire, Sather, Houle, Savard, Tremblay, all sitting there in their jock straps, scratching their chins with Stanley Cup-ringed fingers as they contemplate how they'd run things. Could any coach other than Bowman have survived in that exalted group?

Last edited by Lshap: 07-20-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Life is never too short to say what you mean properly. Either you are an articulate person who wants to convey something meaningful, or you are a moronic tard who just spews words 'cause he's still locked in the buccal stage.

Pick carefully. Life is too short to make toughtless mistakes.
LOL I like that! If everyone would say what they mean properly the world would bea much better place. However, I disagree that people fall in to one of those two categories, there is a lot of grey in between the black and white.

In effect, yes. But the way one says it has a bearing on what is implied.

The problem with implying something is that it is left wide open to interpretation. In your post, you stated that 'If you say it like :"He stood up to Subban's demands' implies that his goal was to lock horns with PK and make him blink.' Stating that "he did not budge on the bridge contract" implies a dedication to a strategy/doctrine regarding player contracts, not a desire to impose one's will over the other.

Don't you think one could be validated in feeling that if MB stood up to Subban's demands, it could be implied that MB was dedicated to a strategy/doctrine regarding player contracts? Thus, in his dedication, he was standing up to Subban's demands, rather than trying to lock horns?

This is where trying to come up with what's implied in a statement can easily lead to an assumption that is incorrect. And you know the old saying about why you should never assume, right?

Only MB knows what his own thought process was. But in light of that I think we hae to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't trying to lock horns with PK for some unknown reason, but rather trying to do the best he can in his job position, which would be following a strategy on player contracts regardless of the individual player.

I have found that by surrounding myself with people who say what they mean and don't count on implications to get their message across leads to a much easier and happier life.

And to close, and get back on topic, I think MB has shown sufficient ballsyness for me to date. To me he has a clear plan, despite the fact that some may disagree based on some of the moves he has made. Now is not the time to overspend a la Clarkson. The time may come, but it's not here yet. Perhaps at that time we will see how big his balls are lol.

JohnnyB11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price crapped the bed down the stretch but wasn't bad in the playoffs. Certainly he could've been better though.

One thing that I see a lot with our club is that even if Price makes the first stop, we don't have a group that's great at clearing the rebounds. We're definitely too small up front and everyone knows that. But we really need some help defensively on the back end. I don't know what happened to Gorges last year but man he has to go back to normal. We've really thrown Price to the wolves and while he was great for most of the year, once he turned to crap we don't have a blueline to bail him out. If he plays mediocre this team is in trouble.

As for Price, not worried about him. If he does crap the bed though and plays like he did in the last few weeks of the regular season we're in big trouble because we don't have much behind him. He comes into this season with something to prove. He can't have another meltdown and it's crucial that he gets off to a good start.

Would've been nice for MB to get him some help though.

Okay, nevermind the argument that he hurts our youth. Let's say he's irrelevant on that front.

I still don't see why we needed to get this guy. Molson wants a competitive team? We were good enough as is to make the playoffs. Add in a PF and/or shutdown guy (two things we really needed) and all of a sudden we're in much better shape.

Briere to me was a total window dressing move. Same kind we've seen for years. We go after big game, GM comes up empty and then decides he has to do SOMETHING to show that he doesn't have his thumb up his ass so he gets a Samsonov or something...

I realize that Bobby Ryans (who is big but not really a PF btw) aren't easy to get. I wouldn't blast MB for not being able to get him as several teams I'm sure made pitches. But I look at Ottawa and they've gotten Turris and Ryan. If they can pull off this kind of move why can't we? Both are talented young players with upside. Both are guys that we should've been going after. But we always wind up with the same kind of player: Samsonov, Tanguay, Kaberle, Gomez, Bourque, Gionta, Cole... Guys past their prime, most are small or it's a problem child who they wanted to get rid of.

Anyways, we don't get a PF. Fine. But go get a shutdown blueliner. That is not that hard to get. Instead we get something that we don't need... We get something that makes our biggest weakness worse.

Maybe Tinordi's the guy and he'll be awesome. Maybe Gorges bounces back... But I don't see why we wouldn't add a shutdown guy in that lineup. The blueline looks ugly to me.

As for Briere, maybe he'll bounce back. Maybe he's got something left in the tank. But even if he does, it doesn't really help us in the grand scheme of things. We have no balance up front. We already have another small center who eats up easy minutes, why get this guy? I've cut that trade up to death, no need to do it more here. But that move was a real head scratcher...
And again. I agree with this. I am as frustrated as you are about the lack of long term moves. Ottawa bothers me a lot. Ryan. That pisses me off. Much more than than not signing 32 year old useless UFAs.

I scratch my head as well, but I am not as worried about Briere as you are.

Now: If Bergy does not land an excellent young piece or two in trade next summer, then I will freak the **** out.

It is interesting LG. Habs are transiting from a mediocre to contending team. And Bergy needs to act. None of us are used to this, but I can see that you are adjusting to the idea, as most of us are.

But I still think that Briere is a filler for now. You think we should be acting right now, and you may be correct. I on the other hand am willing to wait one more year, and get a top ten pick in the meanwhile, which I know you would not object to.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
I don't think last year was a complete fluke, however I think the team overachieved throughout the season. They're not as good as their regular season record would indicate, just like they aren't as bad as their playoff performance would suggest. We're more than 2 pieces away. And yes, as time goes by the likes of Markov and Gionta will be gone. However, good young talent fills in the spaces while players like Patches, Eller and Subban continue to improve.

Now is definitely not the time to deal youth for vets.
If we overachieved last year, which players were the ones who overachieved to cause it? On paper the overachievers were Subban, Eller, Galcehnyuk, Gallagher, are these guys going to regress next year or the year after? They're the ones you are counting on too make us a contender in 2-3 years so it's unlikely. The only vet who you could argue overachieved was Markov, and that's more a case of not knowing how he would react to all his injuries then it is overachieving.

The biggest reason we finished 2nd was that for most of the season we had 2 number 1 Ds. Which means for 45+min a game we have a first pairing on the ice. The second biggest reason was that we had 3 lines that can score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Beaulieu will take Markovs spot and at the quality Markov showed at times that's not a reach

Tinordi easily replaces gorges and brings actual physicality and offense

Gallgher is already better than gio...

Galchenyuk will be a better Plekanec, maybe a little less defensively but way more skill and offense

McCarron or DLR can take Bourques spot, I hope he doesn't regress this year but he's a huge question mark

Add to that Collberg, Eller (who we don't even have comparisons for now) and all the other prospects we have a great team coming, it would be a shame to trade that for 1-2 years of a 30+ yo for a cup run we aren't prepared for
If you think in 3 years Beaulieu will be able to play 25min a night against tough competion and finish top-5 in scoring by defenceman you are out to lunch. That's a massive reach.

Tinordi is going to bring offence now, since when.

We already have Gallagher and Gio scoring around 25 goals right now. If Gallagher replaces Gio, who replaces Gallagher's role on the team right now.

Again we have both Galchenyuk and Plekanec. If Galchenyuk replaces Plekanec who replaces the 50pts or so that Galchenyuk can give us from the third line?

It's clear you think almost every prospect will reach their potential and will do so within a few years of making the NHL. That's simply not going to happen, go back and look at what people said about our prospects 5 years ago when we were ranked top-5 by HF, look at the lineups people posted with Higgins, D'Agostini, the Kostitsyns, etc... and count how many are still on our team. We have a good veteran cast and great young group. We need to strike before our veterans start to decline and preferably while are young guys are still on cheap contracts. That gives us the best opportunity.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote