HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2013, 08:04 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I do not get the "he could be a bust" comments at all. Why are folks saying that - because he's 6-5? Makes no sense whatsoever. Again - he is nothing like Jessiman - good hands and a decent skater, good sense...unless he gets injured this guy is a lock to play in the NHL for a long, long time time.

He is an A or B prospect at worst.
This is the Habs Board. *****in' and moanin' is our national sport. People here love to be negative about everything, and piss on those who refuse to see things their ways. Often with insults of "kool-aid" (which I still don't understand).

Old
07-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
It's not just this board, but the entire city as a whole.

In the winter; "it's too cold, bring back summer."
In the summer; "it's too hot, bring back the snow."
Team drafts someone small; "****ing midgets!"
Team drafts someone big; "no talent ****ing goon!"
Team signs someone with skill; "we need more grit, not another small winger!"
Team signs someone to fight; "****ing scrub!"

It never fails. Never. They say, "You can never make everyone happy." In Montreal, NOBODY is happy. EVER.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-20-2013, 08:15 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
It's not just this board, but the entire city as a whole.

In the winter; "it's too cold, bring back summer."
In the summer; "it's too hot, bring back the snow."
Team drafts someone small; "****ing midgets!"
Team drafts someone big; "no talent ****ing goon!"
Team signs someone with skill; "we need more grit, not another small winger!"
Team signs someone to fight; "****ing scrub!"

It never fails. Never. They say, "You can never make everyone happy." In Montreal, NOBODY is happy. EVER.
I remember in a classic of Quebec litterature, where the author discuss the mentality of our people. I don't remember the name of the book (I could describe the plot, roughly, but eh). But the passage went somewhere like:

He protested against the overbearing heat. The year before, he was lamenting about the rain. And before, it was the wind who damaged his crops. Every year the farmers of this land cry, comparing what they are given to an idealised summer who has never been.

Another joke of the like I heard..

I got a friend farmer. One summer, I ask if he likes the rainfall, and he protests that too much rainfall ruins his crops.
The next summer, I go and ask him if he likes the sun. And he protests, swearing to me that the drough is killing his crops.
The summer that followed, there was PERFECT amount of rain. PERFECT amount of sun. It was the PERFECT summer for crops. I go to my friend, and ask him if he's happy...

"Meh" he answers "These kind of year tires the soil"

Old
07-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I remember in a classic of Quebec litterature, where the author discuss the mentality of our people. I don't remember the name of the book (I could describe the plot, roughly, but eh). But the passage went somewhere like:

He protested against the overbearing heat. The year before, he was lamenting about the rain. And before, it was the wind who damaged his crops. Every year the farmers of this land cry, comparing what they are given to an idealised summer who has never been.

Another joke of the like I heard..

I got a friend farmer. One summer, I ask if he likes the rainfall, and he protests that too much rainfall ruins his crops.
The next summer, I go and ask him if he likes the sun. And he protests, swearing to me that the drough is killing his crops.
The summer that followed, there was PERFECT amount of rain. PERFECT amount of sun. It was the PERFECT summer for crops. I go to my friend, and ask him if he's happy...

"Meh" he answers "These kind of year tires the soil"
Can't wait for the year where win a perfect amount of games in the playoffs (16).

Old
07-20-2013, 10:53 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Can't wait for the year where win a perfect amount of games in the playoffs (16).
"Our players are going to be too expensive once they hit free agency"
"We did not win the President Cup"
"It was a fluke"

Old
07-20-2013, 11:17 AM
1UP

You could also argue that the reason humanity got so far is because it's never happy with what it has. It's not only Québec that's that way

Forums lets people say what they think with close to no filter. That's why it always looks a lot whinier than your average place.

But the gripe still stands. There is, however, no perfect player. And even if there was a perfect player, people would whine, saying HEY, WE DON'T NEED A FORWARD, WE NEED A D!

The closest to perfect player we ever drafted, Price, brought a lot of anger and whining, as I recall. Because he was a goalie. Best way to handle that is with beer and popcorn, and be entertained. And remember not to feel anger when someone is wrong on the internet

(I personally thing McCarron is a good pick, but unquestioningly a major gamble. It could pay off big and it could bomb spectacularily. And it's okay that way.)

Old
07-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Grant McCagg

What to you would be "bomb spectacularly"? You honestly think he may not make the NHL? Tough, huge, good sense, good hands, above average skater for his size. How - in any shape or form, does that constitute being a huge gamble?

I really don't get it that he has been labelled a gamble and potential bust on here. Why? Because some troll with zero credentials or credibility says so?

He is one one of the lesser gambles in the draft. At 25th overall there may not have been a safer pick.

McCarron will play for 10-15 years in the NHL minimum barring injury, and at the very least be a tough, physical presence on a good team's third line. I'd be shocked if that doesn't happen.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:30 AM
1UP

Quote:
What to you would be "bomb spectacularly"? You honestly think he may not make the NHL? Tough, huge, good sense, good hands, above average skater for his size. How - in any shape or form, does that constitute being a huge gamble?

I really don't get it that he has been labelled a gamble and potential bust on here. Why? Because some troll with zero credentials or credibility says so?

He is one one of the lesser gambles in the draft. At 25th overall there may not have been a safer pick.
I'm mostly basing myself on videos I've seen of his skating dating from last year. They may have been old, as I've heard he improved somewhat.

Moreover, his offensive numbers, although he had a better second half, aren't through the roof. These players, sometimes, don't develop the next level required to play in the NHL regularily, and end up in the AHL, or playing goon.

Now, "Bomb spectacularily" might be a little hyperbole, but my threshold for that is that he ends up a classic NHL goon. He could also end up a 2nd line power forward, the kind that wins you playoff series.

Granted, it's now less of a gamble now that he's penciled in to start in London next year.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

McCarron will play for 10-15 years in the NHL minimum barring injury, and at the very least be a tough, physical presence on a good team's third line. I'd be shocked if that doesn't happen.
May I troll in and go:

"But we don't need another 3rd liner! We need a Top Line winger who's 6'2" minimum. Everybody else is just more of the same. BUST"

Pleaaaaaase?

Old
07-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Grant McCagg

A "bust" prospect has at least one discernible weakness, whether is be skating, size, character, competitiveness, bad hands, sense.

Gillies was a big player with bust potential..because he had poor hands and zero offensive hockey sense. Jessiman had bust potential because he had no hands, was a poor skater, and had below average offensive hockey sense.

McCarron has no discernible weaknesses. He is the antithesis of a bust player. Does he have the scoring potential and skill of Droun? Nope. But that in no way, shape or form makes him a gamble.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
I'm mostly basing myself on videos I've seen of his skating dating from last year. They may have been old, as I've heard he improved somewhat.

Moreover, his offensive numbers, although he had a better second half, aren't through the roof. These players, sometimes, don't develop the next level required to play in the NHL regularily, and end up in the AHL, or playing goon.

Now, "Bomb spectacularily" might be a little hyperbole, but my threshold for that is that he ends up a classic NHL goon. He could also end up a 2nd line power forward, the kind that wins you playoff series.

Granted, it's now less of a gamble now that he's penciled in to start in London next year.
There's never been a future NHL goon that played on the USNTDP team that I know of.... I also can't recall a future NHL goon that scored big goals in U-18 tournaments on the big ice...ever.

This kid has skill, can skate, can pass, can protect the puck, and has a very heavy wrist shot. He competes, hits, backchecks and forechecks. I'd say the odds of him becoming an NHL goon are lower than the odds of him becoming a 50-goal scorer.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:43 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
A "bust" prospect has at least one discernible weakness, whether is be skating, size, character, competitiveness, bad hands, sense.

Gillies was a big player with bust potential..because he had poor hands and zero offensive hockey sense. Jessiman had bust potential because he had no hands, was a poor skater, and had below average offensive hockey sense.

McCarron has no discernible weaknesses. He is the antithesis of a bust player. Does he have the scoring potential and skill of Droun? Nope. But that in no way, shape or form makes him a gamble.
BUSSSSSST

(I really, really, really hope you get that I am just jesting about some people's attitude here, and not really arguing against you. I appreciate your input and insights)

Old
07-20-2013, 11:44 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post

Why do you just brush aside the fact he had a better second half? He was over a PPG in the second portion of his hockey season and went on to get 5 points in 7 games in the U-18, despite the fact the game was on a bigger ice surface with less focus on physicality. It's called progression, this is what you need to see with players his age. You can't simply ignore this. He clearly got better, and is understanding his role and his body size advantage. This is the most telling part of his potential.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800

New footage of McCarron fighting. Once he develops more leg strength he won't get pushed around as much. That reach advantage will be huge for him in future bouts.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:10 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post

New footage of McCarron fighting. Once he develops more leg strength he won't get pushed around as much. That reach advantage will be huge for him in future bouts.
He needs to develop technique. Know how to get a better grip, and weaken the opponent with jabs and feints. He seems to want to go for the Haymaker a bit too much.

Am telling you. We should have a Brandon Prust Summer Camp.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
He needs to develop technique. Know how to get a better grip, and weaken the opponent with jabs and feints. He seems to want to go for the Haymaker a bit too much.

Haymakers were slow on top of it. Not super worried. He sounds like he loves to fight, so he'll be doing all he can outside the rink to get better.

Also, he just looks like he'd have a good chin. Maybe it's his monstrous chin.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Haymakers were slow on top of it. Not super worried. He sounds like he loves to fight, so he'll be doing all he can outside the rink to get better.

Also, he just looks like he'd have a good chin. Maybe it's his monstrous chin.
Slow haymakers are bad, but not the end of the world if you can integrate them in a wholesome strategy. Tire the guy out, soften him up with jab, and take him off balance with feints.

The Subban School of Fighting (HAYMAKER HAYMAKER HAYMAKER) isn't effective. That's how I play Mortal Kombat, and I suck at it.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:26 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Slow haymakers are bad, but not the end of the world if you can integrate them in a wholesome strategy. Tire the guy out, soften him up with jab, and take him off balance with feints.

The Subban School of Fighting (HAYMAKER HAYMAKER HAYMAKER) isn't effective. That's how I play Mortal Kombat, and I suck at it.
I just used to abuse the jumping high kick in SF2 before I got better

But yeah, there's a few things he's got to fix. He'll be fine, though.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Smokey Thompson

Mccarron is rated 7.5C on HF! Same rating as Patches I believe.

Fucale 8.0D
DLR 7.0C
Lehkonen 7.5D

Old
07-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Fucale 8D?

Damn I thought he'd be something like a 7.5 C or 8 C.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
Fucale 8D?

Damn I thought he'd be something like a 7.5 C or 8 C.
Goalies take a lot longer to properly develop, I am not surprised.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
And luckily for Fucale, he'll get all the time he needs

Old
07-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

McCarron was the #25 pick, so I don't expect him to be Eric Lindros. All I want is that he shows he's worthy of having been drafted in the first round. If he does that much, and considering his size, I'd say he'd be filling an urgent need for the Habs. Galchenyuk apart, I'd say the Habs have drafted quantity with a touch of quality rather than a raft of superstars in the two most recent drafts.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Carey Price hmmm.
Jack Campbell, where is he in his development? He was great with the US a couple of years ago.

I would like to see Big Mike in a preseason game in September. Just not against the Bruins, please.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:

Damn, in that video he reminded me of Conboy.... I just hope he ends up a much better fighter than Conboy was. I'm not worried.

Closed Thread