HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in the Olympics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
  #26
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I could see hagelin on Team Sweden as a spare/4th liner. Definitely. Know for a fact that the Swedish National Team management likes him a lot

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:17 AM
  #27
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust
 
MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
I think for Team USA you have:

Parise Kesler Kane
Ryan Stepan Kessel
Pacioretty Backes Callahan
JVR Pavelski Brown

Galchenyuk, Oshie, Pomminville, Statsny could be there as well (no particular order)

Suter Shattenkirk
McDonagh J. Johnson
Yandle E. Johnson

Extras: Byfuglien, Orpik, E. Johnson

Quick, Howard, Miller in at G

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:46 AM
  #28
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I assume Team USA will carry 5 centers, no. How would Stepan not be one of those 5.

Statsny and Backes haven't really done anything recently. Pavelski had an off year but I still think is very good. Kesler hasn't played well in two years.

It may be the homer in mean but I think Stepan is the best American center ATM.
I've followed hockey for 30 years. Never seen a team with too many centers. Teams with too many centers often become champions at any level and in any league.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:55 AM
  #29
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
In a pinch, Stepan can play left wing.

That the unites States has all these talented wingers to choose from is a real luxury. Kessel, Parise, Kane, JVR, Brown, Pominville... I could go on, the player pool is really a lot better than it used to be. It's a shame they never go to the world championships, this is really the only chance the Unites States gets to prove its player quality on the world stage.

Honestly, I think the U.S. might have the 2nd best roster in this tournament. I think the total quality, from top to bottom surpasses Sweden and Russia.

Interesting question is... who will be the hot goaltender going into camp?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  #30
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,754
vCash: 500
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/2571391/

Kevin Allen's predictions. Callahan, Stepan, McDonagh all make his team.

G: Quick, Miller, Howard
C: Kesler, Stastny, Stepan, Backes
LW: Parise, Pacioretty, JvR, Bobby RYan
RW: Kane, Kessel, Callahan, Brown
Spares: Galchenyuk, Pominville
D: Jack Johnson, Suter, McDonagh, Faulk, Martin, Shattenkirk, Yandle, Erik Johnson, Orpik

Positions of strength for team USA are clearly in goal, and on the blueline. This needs to be an in your face kind of team. Tortorella would be an epic coach for this squad. No sarcasm. Maybe as an assistant? Bylsma (HC), with Torts and Scott Gordon? Any of those three could really HC this team.

In 2018 the strengths will likely be exactly the same. Jon Quick, Jack Campbell, John Gibson. Quick will be 32 in 2018. Campbell 26 and Gibson 24


Last edited by silverfish: 07-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:26 PM
  #31
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
I like it, except for Orpik on a large ice surface. I'd much rather have Gleason.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
  #32
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/2571391/

Kevin Allen's predictions. Callahan, Stepan, McDonagh all make his team.

G: Quick, Miller, Howard
C: Kesler, Stastny, Stepan, Backes
LW: Parise, Pacioretty, JvR, Bobby RYan
RW: Kane, Kessel, Callahan, Brown
Spares: Galchenyuk, Pominville
D: Jack Johnson, Suter, McDonagh, Faulk, Martin, Shattenkirk, Yandle, Erik Johnson, Orpik

Positions of strength for team USA are clearly in goal, and on the blueline. This needs to be an in your face kind of team. Tortorella would be an epic coach for this squad. No sarcasm. Maybe as an assistant? Bylsma (HC), with Torts and Scott Gordon? Any of those three could really HC this team.

In 2018 the strengths will likely be exactly the same. Jon Quick, Jack Campbell, John Gibson. Quick will be 32 in 2018. Campbell 26 and Gibson 24
This could be the best all around team that USA has sent to the Olympics in a long, long time. For the first time in my memory we have depth at every position.

Byfuglien is absolutely going to be on the starting roster though. Whoever ends up coaching is going to love the fact that they can switch him between forward and D in a pinch and with that roster he'll end up on the 1st PP unit.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
  #33
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
For the Rangers I see....

Locks
Henrik Lundqvist - Team Sweden
Ryan Callahan - Team USA
Ryan McDonagh - Team USA
Mats Zuccarello - Team Norway

Close to Locks
Rick Nash - Team Canada
Derek Stepan - Team USA

Outside Shots and Part Time Roles
Marc Staal - Team Canada
Carl Hagelin - Team Sweden

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  #34
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
This could be the best all around team that USA has sent to the Olympics in a long, long time. For the first time in my memory we have depth at every position.
Depth, yes. Elite offensive ability? No.

OH MY GOD!

I think everyone in this thread forgot to include Nash as a lock for the Canadian team

EDIT - Never mind. I see he's in the OP but then never mentioned again

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:45 PM
  #35
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,421
vCash: 500
I desperately need to see a brown- backes - Callahan line.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
  #36
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,421
vCash: 500
I also think its time we start speculating about which Ranger will get injured this time around.

My money's on Nash.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
  #37
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Depth, yes. Elite offensive ability? No.

OH MY GOD!

I think everyone in this thread forgot to include Nash as a lock for the Canadian team

EDIT - Never mind. I see he's in the OP but then never mentioned again
Just another reason why I think Byfuglien is definitely a lock for the starting roster. USA is going to have to try to capitalize on their PP opportunities because we don't have the firepower that Canada and Russia has.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:46 PM
  #38
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
For the Rangers I see....

Locks
Henrik Lundqvist - Team Sweden
Ryan Callahan - Team USA
Ryan McDonagh - Team USA
Mats Zuccarello - Team Norway

Close to Locks
Rick Nash - Team Canada
Derek Stepan - Team USA

Outside Shots and Part Time Roles
Marc Staal - Team Canada
Carl Hagelin - Team Sweden
Nash is a 100% lock

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:10 PM
  #39
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,696
vCash: 50
I think Stepan is a 100% lock too.

He led US Centers in virtually every single stat this past season.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:27 PM
  #40
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,543
vCash: 2960
Will the rosters be announced in the Winter Classic again?

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:31 PM
  #41
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
I still think USA falls short in the end. The real question is if Russia decides they want to play on their own turf, or embarrass themselves.

I'm thinking it will be:

Canada
Sweden
USA

Realistically though those three and Russia could rotate in and out of the top 4 by the end of the tournament.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:32 PM
  #42
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 50
Zucc is no way near a lock for Team Norway

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:35 PM
  #43
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Zucc is no way near a lock for Team Norway
Norway doesn't even have another player in the NHL, how could he not be?

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:16 PM
  #44
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius
 
Glen Sathers Cigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
I was on a long drive today and flipping channels on SiriusXm I ended up listening to parts of two different NHL network shows. On both shows the guys gave their team Canada (only Canada) rosters in their opinions. Both guys left Nash off the roster completely. Lumping him in with Thornton and Heatley and Iginla as old and not as productive anymore. Personally, I don't want any Rangers going to the Olympics because I (selfishly) don't want any injuries, however, since they're going, how do they not include Nash?

He was one of the best forwards in 2010 for Canada. These guys were talking about getting younger putting E.Kane and Eberle and Couture on their rosters (plus St. Louis which is the opposite) all over Nash. It's a 2 week tournament, age doesn't matter. Personally I think Nash should be in the team.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #45
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
I was on a long drive today and flipping channels on SiriusXm I ended up listening to parts of two different NHL network shows. On both shows the guys gave their team Canada (only Canada) rosters in their opinions. Both guys left Nash off the roster completely. Lumping him in with Thornton and Heatley and Iginla as old and not as productive anymore. Personally, I don't want any Rangers going to the Olympics because I (selfishly) don't want any injuries, however, since they're going, how do they not include Nash?

He was one of the best forwards in 2010 for Canada. These guys were talking about getting younger putting E.Kane and Eberle and Couture on their rosters (plus St. Louis which is the opposite) all over Nash. It's a 2 week tournament, age doesn't matter. Personally I think Nash should be in the team.
Couture and St. Louis I'll buy. Nash is still better than Kane and Eberle.

And I didn't get the memo that 29 is old.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  #46
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Norway doesn't even have another player in the NHL, how could he not be?
He is in trouble with the Norwegian hockey federation and their sponsors because of a private sponsor agreement.
As of now he is banned from the national team

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  #47
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius
 
Glen Sathers Cigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Couture and St. Louis I'll buy. Nash is still better than Kane and Eberle.

And I didn't get the memo that 29 is old.
Yeah, these guys were all over the place talking about age being a huge concern tehn he has St. Louis on the team, which I would too but I wasn't the one talking about getting rid of older guys. They were talking about Eberle's clutch factor fromt he WJC, as if that's a reason to put him on the team over a superior player. Nash > E.Kane and Eberle at this point in time. I was sitting in my car laughing at these guys.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:48 PM
  #48
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
No Pavelski on the USA squad is a huge omission. Gotta go with

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Pacioretty-Stepan-Pominville
Stastny
Oshie
JVR

McDonagh-E.Johnson
J.Johnson-Suter
Martin-Faulk
Shattenkirk
Yandle

Quick
Howard
Smith

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
  #49
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
No Pavelski on the USA squad is a huge omission. Gotta go with

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Pacioretty-Stepan-Pominville
Stastny
Oshie
JVR

McDonagh-E.Johnson
J.Johnson-Suter
Martin-Faulk
Shattenkirk
Yandle

Quick
Howard
Smith
That forward squad just looks downright tough to play against.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  #50
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Really hard to see Pominville not make it. He's massively underrated, if i'm being asked

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.