HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How Ennis been doing?

Old
07-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

vCash: 500
How Ennis been doing?

Hello Sabres fans, I only manage to Catch a glimse of Ennis here and there this NHL season and he looked good. But as a whole, how have he looked for your guys this season? did he do good as a center this season? or will he be moved to the wing?

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:20 AM
tsujimoto74

Rolston moved him back to wing before the end of the season. I think that's likely his long-term role as well, just because it's really hard to fit an undersized (mostly) one-way offensive center in the top 9 of a cup contending roster. Unless that guy can put up ~PPG numbers, which Ennis can't, or the rest of your roster is packed with high-end two-way forwards, which Buffalo's isn't.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:29 AM
BananaSquad

Top 6 winger

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Have he developed further this season? or is it the same as last season?

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Imlach a cup

When Ennis has 2 big wingers playing at their top (Stafford Foligno) he's a top center. When hes forced to make his own room he's no where near as effective. This is a pretty crucial year for him with the prospects moving up and his contract ticking over.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
McTank

I see him as a 2nd line winger but I still feel he has some more upside left in him

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Havok89

Top 6 LW. Foligno and Stafford were terrible last season and he still managed to put up points. I think he's a little underrated by Sabres fans and Hodgson gets a bit more praise than he deserves.

This next season might decide if he's a valuable trade piece, or a core player going forward.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:19 PM
gallagt01

Good complimentary player that thrives against lesser competition. Hopefully he takes some major steps forward next year.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:20 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Top 6 LW. Foligno and Stafford were terrible last season and he still managed to put up points. I think he's a little underrated by Sabres fans and Hodgson gets a bit more praise than he deserves.

This next season might decide if he's a valuable trade piece, or a core player going forward.
Agreed. Ennis is the most dynamic offensive player the Sabres have. If paired with the right line mates, he's downright electrifying. Easily 1st line talent at the wing, second line center. He still needs to work on several aspects of his game (defense, too much dangling sometimes, etc.), but he's got PPG talent. I think he's one of the most slippery/elusive talents in the league, and he can finish. I'm very anxious to see what he does this season. He's one of my favorite players.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Agreed. Ennis is the most dynamic offensive player the Sabres have. If paired with the right line mates, he's downright electrifying. Easily 1st line talent at the wing, second line center. He still needs to work on several aspects of his game (defense, too much dangling sometimes, etc.), but he's got PPG talent. I think he's one of the most slippery/elusive talents in the league, and he can finish. I'm very anxious to see what he does this season. He's one of my favorite players.
Ennis on Grigorenko's wing in the future, could be quite a tandem.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Old Navy Goat

A dynamic top 10 LW in the NHL, proficiently playing a 210' game and putting up PPG numbers.

Actually, he's probably going to spend most of the year on the DL if he keeps on turning into the boards as per his tendency, he's going to get killed.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ruff's bungling of the FES line early on, using them as the high d-zone starting trio vs the high o-zone starts they had the year prior sank all three of them in terms of confidence. Ennis managed to scrape some points together but as a unit, the broke down. None of the three really ever bounced back either.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Ennis on Grigorenko's wing in the future, could be quite a tandem.
Ennis/Grig/Armia given o-zone starts could have some success.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ruff's bungling of the FES line early on, using them as the high d-zone starting trio vs the high o-zone starts they had the year prior sank all three of them in terms of confidence. Ennis managed to scrape some points together but as a unit, the broke down. None of the three really ever bounced back either.
I was hard on Foligno for his lack of drive, and called him out repeatedly for nonchalance in all three zones - but when he moved to center, he came as close to bouncing back as one can after such an underwhelming season.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I was hard on Foligno for his lack of drive, and called him out repeatedly for nonchalance in all three zones - but when he moved to center, he came as close to bouncing back as one can after such an underwhelming season.
True, he rebounded to many of the non-scoring things he did well. I was thinking of how both Staff and Marcus never got back on track scoring wise.

07-20-2013, 04:13 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
True, he rebounded to many of the non-scoring things he did well. I was thinking of how both Staff and Marcus never got back on track scoring wise.
Very true, unfortunately. And while we knew better than to expect a torrid, near point-per-game pace output for Marcus, we certainly expected a bit more in terms of numbers.

He started to dictate the play a bit when he had more freedom to roam the ice. Forechecked better, worked better down low, Etc.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote